Grimm Forum
hexenbiset = witches = no redemption - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: hexenbiset = witches = no redemption (/Thread-hexenbiset-witches-no-redemption)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: hexenbiset = witches = no redemption - syscrash - 12-03-2016

Quote:I'm sure they used some training, but I highly doubt the end result was that eventually Trubel would be able to beat her trainer or trainers at HW.

Such training certainly would definitely not have been used on Eve, in my opinion. She was trained to be a weapon and had to be broken down in order to be a weapon. In my opinion, the point of Eve was to be used, and thus controlled. The training you suggest would eventually put her in control, which would have been counterproductive to Chavez and Meisner's plans.
That comment makes no sense. Do you have any idea what special forces training, such as SEAL training involves. The other thing I don't get is why you only see Juliette as being uncontrollable. The show has never shown a hexenbest react unless provoked.
I never said kill your trainer, just like the trainer would not kill the recruit. Unlike training a boxer who spare but do not inflect damage. Special forces training gets extremely physical and recruits do get hurt. Part of the training is being subjected to physical and physiological abuse so they can withstand it if captured. Unlike soldiers who a trained to defend. Special forces are trained to kill. This means building up the mental ability to have the intent to kill. Killing someone with your hands is more then having the physical ability. You also have to have the mental ability to deliver the final blow. For someone psychotic that would not be a problem. But if psychotic you would not be accepted.
Why would you think special forces training would not apply to Eve and Trubal. Watching their actions they move and operate exactly like an operative would. Take when the where on mission and captured the wesen they interrogated. They moved as a team guarding each others flanks. When they went to rescue Hank, they demonstrated precision work in taking out the guards. Then you got to see Eve take on Conrad. Her moves where nothing like when she fought with Adalind. Take Meisner he delivered death blows with each punch. where Nick would knock a wesen out. Meisner would leave them dead.
Being made into a weapon is the purpose of special forces training. These are some of the most deadliest people in military service. That is why there are very few that have the mental stability to be trained. they would never train an unstable mind to be a killer. The psychological examination they go through is very intensive.

RE: hexenbiset = witches = no redemption - irukandji - 12-03-2016

(12-03-2016, 10:36 PM)syscrash Wrote: I never said kill your trainer, just like the trainer would not kill the recruit.

Who said you did? I certainly didn't.

This is what you said about Eve and Trubel's training:
Quote:that is the way training works. You keep getting bet up till you can win.

I assume you were talking about Eve and Trubel being beat to the point that eventually they learn and get good enough that they can beat or kill their trainers *if* they so desire. If they decided to beat their trainers senseless or murder them, they in fact would win.

However, I don't agree that as the kind of training used on either Eve or Trubel. Neither seemed to me to be so good that they could either beat the crap out of Meisner or take him out. *If* they chose to do so, that is.

(12-03-2016, 10:36 PM)syscrash Wrote: Why would you think special forces training would not apply to Eve and Trubal.

First, Grimm never mentioned anything about special forces personnel at the Portland HW sector that were involved in training Eve and Trubel.

Second, I highly doubt special forces personnel at the Portland HW sector would be stupid enough to let themselves be killed by BC operatives.

RE: hexenbiset = witches = no redemption - izzy - 12-03-2016

(12-03-2016, 06:20 PM)syscrash Wrote: There was nothing docile about Eve. You can beat the fight out of someone. Basically domesticate them. But that does not make a good solider. Unless they still have a sense of aggression how would they ever win a fight. That is what domestication is. Removing the aggression which cause the will to fight. Don't confuse aggression with rage or anger. Eve showed neither anger or rage. But she was extremely aggressive in every confrontation. Not once did we see her hold back or hesitate.

For clarity, I said Mesiner (and he alone) would have a dociling effect on Eve, not that Eve would cur to anyone else. With that in mind, read it again and it will now make sense.

RE: hexenbiset = witches = no redemption - Robyn - 12-04-2016

Izzy, this is an intriguing idea. And a little brutal, but then, isn’t a show about one species killing another supposed to be a little brutal?

In some ways Grimm appears to approach Hexenbiests in this way. Despite their years together, Juliette was convinced Nick would kill her when finding out she had become a Hexenbiest. And the reaction by Nick & the others confirmed that fear. The single-themed consensus was to fix her - i.e. suppress the abhorred Hexenbiest side. No one considered helping Juliette acclimate to being a Hexenbiest while remaining an integral and loved member of their group. Adalind might have believed Nick would take care of and protect her, but the minute her Hexenbiest surfaced she feared for her life, begging Rosalee not to tell him.

So while the Grimm characters aren’t burning people at the stake, stoning them to death, or drowning them, they do put a lot of effort into suppressing (killing) the Hexenbiest in them.

I think the irrukandji and Adriano Neres Rodrigues idea of Grimms, Royals, Knights Templar, and the Catholic Church is a very interesting concept, and would easily fit with the show’s Grimm backstory. It certainly relates to Kelly’s old school Grimm ideology that the only good Wesen is a dead Wesen and mercy is rarely justified.

(12-02-2016, 05:29 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote:
(12-01-2016, 09:01 PM)irukandji Wrote: Of all people, I was reminded of Eve when I was thinking about this because she did give up her good name. I continue to wonder if she was forced to do so or if she did it willingly. I believe Nick probably forgave her back when he first saw her. Does she have the capacity to forgive herself?

About Eve, I believe (and I am talking about personal believing) that for redemption (and self-forgiveness) it is necessarily first to recognize that there is a mistake (or a sin) that need to be forgiven. I don’t think that is Eve’s case. She never accept she did anything wrong. When talking to nick she said “Juliette did”, not she (considering Nick’s mother death and all the events on season 4). I would say Eve is more in denial than in repentance.
NOTE: I am not judging Juliette’s action. I am just saying that for me if forgiveness is necessary, it is necessary first a repentance. If Juliette is not guilty of anything there is no need for forgiveness. If Eve doesn’t accept she did anything (she acts as Juliette is another person) then there is no way for forgiveness. Again, this is my way of view things; it is not a fundamental truth of the universe.

Now, you talked about Eve giving up her name. Correct me if I wrong, but are you talking about the fact she changed her name from Juliette to Eve? Do you think it can be a metaphor for something else that is not only She is a new person?
I don’t think Juliette’s reinvention was about redemption, but rather, sidestepping immediate responsibility. The new Eve persona viewed Juliette as a separate individual who no longer existed, and Juliette’s bad acts weren’t Eve’s burden. But I do think the show missed a great opportunity to delve into a beloved character’s fall from grace followed by her efforts to fight against dark instincts and seek redemption - by her own accord, not by being beaten down and brainwashed.

(12-02-2016, 07:45 AM)izzy Wrote: I was always hopeful that the name Eve was very deliberate and a biblical reference. given that, you could go down several scholarly tracks, but two that should apparent to all who grew up in Judeo-Christian circles

01) Eve, as in the woman who committed the original sin in the garden of eden
02) As part of the doctrine of original sin, is the idea that sins of the forefathers leading to punishment of their descendants
I thought the name choice was deliberate, but assumed the show was referring to ‘the first’. The first woman referenced in the first book of the bible. Whoever renamed Juliette considered her to be the first Hexenbiest to fight the good fight and therefore unique to her kind.

From a philosophical POV, I considered the name Eve as referring to the biblical Eve’s unforeseen betrayal. Created in his image, Adam & Eve would be absolutely loyal to one another, and together be absolutely loyal to their creator. In Grimm, Juliette is the last person any of the characters would have ever expected to betray Nick or his cause.

(12-03-2016, 12:51 AM)syscrash Wrote: Even in the show never has physical force been shown to make a difference. Let alone violence being a control method is not a valid concept. This whole idea of Meisner torturing Juliette because he hit her has no bases even in the shows reality. If torture was intended to be what changed her. You would see some evidence other then Meisner slapping her.
The show made a point to show viewers a scene where heavy fisted combat could be heard from behind metal doors, with Meisner coming out wiping blood from his mouth. There was an exchange between Meisner & Chavez similar to “How’s it going?” “Better.” and “We’re playing with fire.” “We’re going to need fire.” That doesn’t suggest Meisner was torturing Juliette. But it does strongly suggest that intense physical contact was part of the method. Juliette couldn’t have a rational conversation with anyone from Nick’s group, why would we think Meisner offered a new identity in exchange for working with HW and Juliette calmly agreed and instantly took on a entirely new personality that made her completely loyal to HW’s mission?

(12-01-2016, 07:20 AM)Hexenadler Wrote: This is an interesting theory, and it reminds me of an idea I cooked up a while ago about a possible major villain for the show's finale. It turns out Matthew Hopkins (the most infamous witch hunter of all time) was actually a Grimm. Although not immortal, his status as the most powerful Grimm in existence has given him unnatural longevity. He appears in Portland after the steadily rising reports of Hexenbiest activity reaches him, and manages to convince and/or brainwash Nick into believing that Hexenbiests are innately irredeemable. (Juliette's transformation and Adalind's behavior following her reversion only provide further "proof" for Hopkins's case.)

Nick finally snaps, his eyes turn completely black, and he starts to stalk all of the key Hexenbiest characters on the show - namely Juliette, Adalind, and Diana - determined to slay all of them. The only way to de-brainwash Nick is to somehow prove Hexenbiests aren't beyond any hope of salvation.
Hexenadler, I loved your idea of Matthew Hopkins when you first posted it, and agree with Adriano Neres Rodrigues, this could make a great season arc.

RE: hexenbiset = witches = no redemption - irukandji - 12-04-2016

(12-04-2016, 12:18 PM)Robyn Wrote: I don’t think Juliette’s reinvention was about redemption, but rather, sidestepping immediate responsibility. The new Eve persona viewed Juliette as a separate individual who no longer existed, and Juliette’s bad acts weren’t Eve’s burden.

I know a lot of people see the Eve character as a way of evading Juliette's responsibilities. I don't. In my opinion, Juliette never cared if Nick thought she was responsible for Kelly's death or not.

I also believe Juliette when she told Nick she didn't know they were going to murder Kelly. But again, I don't think that really mattered to Juliette. In actuality, I can see Juliette's actions as having some logic because I believe she views the situation escalating into some type of war. She would not have been incorrect in her assumption. Nick made it into a war.

If an email to Kelly makes it that easy to recall her back into service, what would stop Nick from calling upon her to help kill Juliette had she lived? In answer, absolutely nothing. And I believe Kelly would have no regret or remorse in killing Juliette. I also believe Kelly would never stop in her quest for revenge, had she lived.

Eve did refer to Juliette as if she were a separate entity. However in my opinion, that doesn't equate to Eve renigging responsibility for Juliette's actions. Eve, like Juliette, could care less what Nick thinks or feels about Kelly's death. If Eve were sidestepping responsibility for Kelly's death, there would have been a much different reaction instead of the one we see, which is complete indifference.

ETA to remove the word, "fact". Although why any of my posts should matter to someone who's accused me of flat out lying, I'll never know.

RE: hexenbiset = witches = no redemption - Hexenadler - 12-04-2016

(12-04-2016, 01:20 PM)irukandji Wrote: I know a lot of people see the Eve character as a way of evading Juliette's responsibilities. I don't for one simple fact. Juliette never cared if Nick thought she was responsible for Kelly's death or not.

That's not a "fact," irukandji. That's your perception of what actually happened. If you watch the scene from CRY HAVOC where Kelly is being murdered off-screen, you can clearly see Juliette's in turmoil. She also left the King in the lurch just to hike all the way back to Nick's house in an attempt to weakly justify her actions. If Juliette didn't care at all, she would have left Portland to live a life of amoral hedonism with a bunch of aristocratic scumbags.

RE: hexenbiset = witches = no redemption - izzy - 12-04-2016

(12-04-2016, 03:53 PM)Hexenadler Wrote: If Juliette didn't care at all, she would have left Portland to live a life of amoral hedonism with a bunch of aristocratic scumbags.

I'll just mention what is often unspeakable for many, the type of lifestyle Eve and Truble were living with HW could be construed as a type of hedonism.

RE: hexenbiset = witches = no redemption - Robyn - 12-04-2016

(12-04-2016, 01:20 PM)irukandji Wrote: I know a lot of people see the Eve character as a way of evading Juliette's responsibilities. I don't. In my opinion, Juliette never cared if Nick thought she was responsible for Kelly's death or not.
I didn’t make it clear that I was referring to the show’s intentions with the character - it was about separating the S5 Eve character from the S4 Juliette. I doubt G & K gave any thought to redemption and forrgiveness for Juliette or Nick.

(12-04-2016, 01:20 PM)irukandji Wrote: Eve did refer to Juliette as if she were a separate entity. However in my opinion, that doesn't equate to Eve renigging responsibility for Juliette's actions. Eve, like Juliette, could care less what Nick thinks or feels about Kelly's death. If Eve were sidestepping responsibility for Kelly's death, there would have been a much different reaction instead of the one we see, which is complete indifference.
I don’t see it as Eve reneging responsibility because she didn’t feel any connection to Juliette or the woman’s history with Nick. But it seems the show plans to explore in S6 some connection between Eve and Juliette’s feelings. Time will tell how that goes. I would prefer Eve retain her independence & confidence from S5. She can regret her S4 actions without reverting to Nick's loyal companion.

RE: hexenbiset = witches = no redemption - Hell Rell - 12-04-2016

If an email to Kelly makes it that easy to recall her back into service, what would stop Nick from calling upon her to help kill Juliette had she lived? In answer, absolutely nothing. And I believe Kelly would have no regret or remorse in killing Juliette. I also believe Kelly would never stop in her quest for revenge, had she lived.

I don't think Nick would call Kelly back for that and I don't think that thought was ever in Juliette's mind. Kelly had Diana and Juliette would know that Nick would never send her a message to assist him as long as she had her. If anything, Juliette would assume Nick would call Trubel just like Monroe and Rosalee did.

RE: hexenbiset = witches = no redemption - syscrash - 12-04-2016

Reading the comments it seems the people making them have not watched the show for the last five seasons. People try to apply rational emotional driven logic to what they see or what the see as faults with the show. The problem I see is that kind of thinking has never existed in the show. Even the title of these comments being about redemption. Out of five season we have never seen redemption, remorse, or repercussions for any actions. No matter what anyone does given a couple of episode they are forgiven. Yet the comments keep wanting to sight that characters will or will not do something because of some prior act. Yet there is no where in the series that you can find that kind of thinking being used. Have you seen any character feel guilty about anything they have done. In five season the characters have never responded to emotional influences. Their responses have always been self serving, or manipulated. People keep suggesting actions should promote a message. Even though the show has never done that. Even when they create a theme the result is not done as a learning experience.