Grimm Forum
The giant elephant in the room... - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: The giant elephant in the room... (/Thread-The-giant-elephant-in-the-room)

The giant elephant in the room... - izzy - 11-28-2016

Quote:I see hexenbiest as consisting of two things. What they are and what they can do. No matter what you do to them they will always be a hexenbiest.

Interesting. In posting the quote above, I deliberately removed the poster's name because it is a sentiment several among you have echoed over the past seasons. So i am not singling out the originator, rather I am focusing on the implications of the comment.

So the first element to consider is that to some it appears that a Hexenbeist has a nature that cannot be altered.

But then comes another element to consider. Others, notably Hexenadler, have championed the idea that Grimm is ultimately a show about redemption. Witness we have Monroe, another wesen, who was able to subdue his essence. And the ever lovely Rosalee who appears to have reformed on several different levels.

The last, and most telling element is the writers have mentioned parallels between Grimm and current events.

So here is he actual question of this thread. Given the 3 elements above, I just wonder how some would feel if we substituted the word Muslim for Hexenbeist in conversations? Would the same people still concur with their stated sentiments or would they suddenly disagree?

More, given the writers have acknowledged the deliberate parallel with current events, what is their message ultimately going to be?

Things that make you go hmmm...

RE: The giant elephant in the room... - syscrash - 11-28-2016

first being wesen is not a belief. it is what you are. Another problem I see with people not understanding wesen is not understanding wesen behavior. They judge them as if they where human. Lets take Monroe, in the first episode, he was marking his territory like any canine would do. For a human that would be abnormal behavior. For a wesen that behavior is perfectly normal. For Monroe not to do it would be abnormal. People keep wanting to use Monroe as an example of not all wesen are animallistic. But that is like saying is a domesticated lion no longer a lion, still capable of doing what lions do. The same hold true for what hexenbiest do. Like any animal other then humans. They attack their pray with the intent to kill. Have you ever seen an animal wound their pray. Also have you ever seen an animal feel sorry for itself or show regret.

Watching the show objectively it is asking a very profound question. What makes us different then any other animal on the planet. That line gets blurred when you start examining trained primates. But the line is still there. For example to understand and feel sadness does not mean you fell sorrow or express regret. Anyone that has a pitbull knows they can ripe you apart, and a minute later be a loyal companion. They don't hold a grudge, they react based on learned behavior. This is exactly how hexenbiest and other wesen work.

A good example of a wesen would be a trained primate that is able to speak. There have been apes that have been taught to sign and act like a humans. does that make them any less an ape.

Here is another philosophical idea. Why do we not kill the neighbor that steals our paper. Remember there are those of us that do. What differs is each of us has a sense of what we feel is moral combined with logic of the consequence of our actions. Take Juliette in the bar. Many found fault with her actions. Of those was the fault a moral objection or a consequential objection. If someone hits you, logic could keep you from hitting back more then the moral objection to violence. Even those that would say hit them back, how many would hit the parson hard enough to kill them.

You also have another factor people can not physical kill one another with a wave of there hand. For the few that can kill, it take a lot of effort. What if you are one that says if hit, they would hit back. Would they still do it if then knew that hit would result in death. If they did know that would they just let people hit them. These are the kind of philosophical questions the show poses. To not become a delima the show establishes the wesen world as living by the laws of nature, while humans live by laws of man. That is why you can not use human analogies to explain wesen behavior.

RE: The giant elephant in the room... - brandon - 11-29-2016

That's why the "Council WESEN" existed.They could not stand before humans and use that as the supposed soothsayer did

RE: The giant elephant in the room... - syscrash - 11-29-2016

The wesen council where there to teach the ways of domestication. This allowed wesen to coexist with humans. These rules preventing exposure. There where also rules to prevent conflict among the wesen community. Because the council is made up of wesen. They did not prevent wesen practices.

RE: The giant elephant in the room... - eric - 12-01-2016

Shaw said "That's illegal, I'll sue". Renard reminded him that a "more primal" law was involved. Shaw realized Renard knew the score and toned it down. He was dead before the 10:00 news. Grimm is about 2 worlds that connect but do not blend. If a wessen tries to be a wessen in the human world, all the other wessen get "excited"(Bud), and it ain't a good thing. I agree Grimm is big on redemption, Monroe, Rosalee, being the best examples. I hope that when the show ends the wessen will still be secret, and there is redemption for some and retribution for others. It probably won't be fun, but it will be moral. And then come the movies and books.Big Grin