Grimm Forum
Rewatch: 1x22 - Woman in Black - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 1 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-1)
+---- Thread: Rewatch: 1x22 - Woman in Black (/Thread-Rewatch-1x22-Woman-in-Black)

Pages: 1 2 3

Rewatch: 1x22 - Woman in Black - GrimmForum - 08-16-2013

Woman in Black

[Image: Ala6vd8l.jpg]

Episode: 1x22
Air Date: May 18, 2012
Synopsis: The cursed coins resurface after someone else starts killing to obtain them. Meanwhile, Nick and Hank find a mysterious woman interfering in their case, and Nick and Juliette must make a life-changing decision

Resources
Episode Summary (Grimm-Fan.com)
Screen Captures (Grimm-Fan.com)

The Grimm Season 1 Rewatch concludes with this finale episode, Woman in Black. How did you all like rewatching the first season? A reminder, next friday is the last day to enter the Season 2 DVD Sweepstakes. Winner will be announced August 30th, stay tuned!

RE: Rewatch: 1x22 - Woman in Black - the-epic-prince - 08-16-2013

Siegbarste? There isn't a Siegbarste in this episode is there?

RE: Rewatch: 1x22 - Woman in Black - GrimmForum - 08-16-2013

You're right. Changed it now.

RE: Rewatch: 1x22 - Woman in Black - pale boy - 08-16-2013

A very busy episode this time! Goes hand in hand with it being the finale, of course. One thing that bothers me even now though: I don't know if Nick ever felt as bad as he should have for letting Hank think he was mayor of crazytown. That seems like a really sucky thing to do to your partner. (Also, would you want your coworker feeling so jumpy and out of sorts all the time in this line of work? Rhetorical question since no, no you would not.)

Adalind has worked her way onto the list of "Ultimate Evil" by using an innocent cat in her schemes. :{{{ (For those of us who have watched Season 2, it's an even bigger frowny face regarding that.)

Lots of things going on in this episode. There's the ongoing Kimura plot, there's the Juliette plot/Adalind's revenge, there's the eponymous Woman in Black ... and then there is the final reveal of the episode, which makes Nick no longer an orphan. The first time around I watched this, I was honestly not expecting the WiB to be his mother. In a way, I was disappointed because I was hoping to see other (non-blood related to Nick) Grimm in the world. Then again, Kelly is awesome (in a scary way), so my disappointment was short-lived. Wu's introduction to her was particularly memorable.

Seeing Juliette's first reaction toward Nick's "Hey honey, I'm a Grimm" reveal again was sort of ... sad, actually. She just thought that he was crazy and wanted to get the heck out of that trailer. (So technically, Nick owes certain Season 2 events to Adalind. Huh. Let's hope no one ever points that out to him.)

RE: Rewatch: 1x22 - Woman in Black - FräuleinWunderlich - 08-17-2013

(08-16-2013, 10:44 PM)pale boy Wrote:
Adalind has worked her way onto the list of "Ultimate Evil" by using an innocent cat in her schemes. :{{{ (For those of us who have watched Season 2, it's an even bigger frowny face regarding that.)

Yes, poor kitty. But the cat´s black eyes were soooo sweet. Blush

Things I noticed during the re-watch:
- Rosalee gaved the cat Valeriana officinalis aka valerian( it´s in some cat toys and make kitty´s very clams them)
- Akira Kimurs tatoo has 8 laces but there are 7 royal families so for what(except super ultimate superman power) stand it?
- in Hank flat & in the apparment from Renard you see a traditional deck of playing cards( if I remembering right it was a frensh deck)

RE: Rewatch: 1x22 - Woman in Black - Gretel Hanselsister - 08-18-2013

It took me some time to decide what to vote, but it's a "like".
My biggest problem with this episode is all of the half stories just to have a cliffhanger, I found it unfair to the fans. The last episode of Season two is more endurable for me.

For Juliette the hour of truth has finally come, Nick shows her everything and she believed - nothing. Last episode she suspected some truth behind the "bigfoot" and now there's nothing left. For me it's a bit annoying.

Akira Kimura - he "questioned" Farley Kolt for days. Rest in peace. But I still hope there's a little chance to see Kolt again. His death wasn't proved, or did I miss something?

I like that the story is further developed, they keep the powerless Adalind in game, they bring Kelly as an fascinating new character, they leave the "Wesen of the week" sceme while bringing in a new fairy tale: the sleeping beauty. And think of it: in the original the sleeping beauty slept for 100 years. Season 2 spoiler:
Spoiler :
Juliette was as good as new after just one season!
All of you pity that cat, none of you Farley Kolt? Isn't this a bit strange?

Schlaftrunk - sleep potion

RE: Rewatch: 1x22 - Woman in Black - speakeasy - 08-18-2013

Here's another episode I really liked. Adalind may have lost her powers, but as a parting shot over her shoulder as she leaves the field, she brews up a potion to put Juliette in a coma-like sleep (that contains a component that would eventually wipe out her memory.) Note to file: don't get on Adalind's dirt list. And it's curious that kitty has a neon-yellow tongue, but no one seems to notice.

One of the best things about this episode is that we get to see Kelly Burkhardt for the first time. I read that Mary Elizabeth Mastranitoni (sp) has taken the role of the First Lady in the series Hostages, so guess she won't be coming back to Grimm. What a shame because she's so great in the role. But I hope they hire someone else to play her and not just leave her out of the series; certainly her Grimm abilities will be needed in the fight to come, and she's just a fascinating character. She's such a traditional Grimm that it would make for some very entertaining viewing as she shows Nick how to kick it old-school style and he tries broaden her tolerance for wesen-kind.

Things don't look so great for Farley Kolt according to what Kimura says to the Captain, but he hasn't been officially declared dead; and there's no corpus delicti yet, so I continue to hold out hope that he lives. He's a very smart and tough sort of wesen-guy, so it's conceivable that he could escape from Kimura's clutches. A little detail I wanted to point out about where Kolt's possible loyalties lie is that in spite of three days of torture at the hands of Kimura, he didn't tell him that Nick has the coins.

I enjoyed rewatching season one and everyone's take on each episode. Sorry to see it end.

RE: Rewatch: 1x22 - Woman in Black - FräuleinWunderlich - 08-18-2013

(08-18-2013, 01:51 PM)speakeasy Wrote: And it's curious that kitty has a neon-yellow tongue, but no one seems to notice.

Things don't look so great for Farley Kolt according to what Kimura says to the Captain, but he hasn't been officially declared dead; and there's no corpus delicti yet, so I continue to hold out hope that he lives. He's a very smart and tough sort of wesen-guy, so it's conceivable that he could escape from Kimura's clutches. A little detail I wanted to point out about where Kolt's possible loyalties lie is that in spite of three days of torture at the hands of Kimura, he didn't tell him that Nick has the coins.

1. the cat- For me it was no big deal, because of the potion Adalind gave her it was a "normal Grimm- Zaubertrank -reaction". I was just wondering that the cat don´t became red, turn into rage and ripp of her shirt/fur! Big Grin
2. What when Falrey Kolt isn´t dead and Kimura and he work together? Kelly told Nick she was 18 years on a trip to find the people who killed her husband and her friend. And she said that someone has betrayed her, Nick´s father, Aunt Marie and her friend. We know that Aunt Marie was in a relationship with Farley. For me that makes him also to an insider.
Spoiler :
One thing is curious, Nick lost his parents when he was 13 years old. Renard lost hi mother when he was 13 years old too. !!!Attention, total speculation!!! but could it be possible that Renard´s Mum is the friend which Kelly lost in the car.Huh
Yes, I know Renard is a little bit older then Nick ,but it would explaine why he wants to kill Aunt Marie. Becuse in his eyes Marie is responsible for the dead of his mother(next to the french royal queen->maybe she gave the order to kill everyone inside the car). And it would explain why Kelly don´t leave Portland immediately -> talk to Renard. And it would explain why the Captain plays the Grimm protector and says incessantly , he and Nick are on the same side. Wink

RE: Rewatch: 1x22 - Woman in Black - speakeasy - 08-18-2013

@FraulienWunderlich: I was thinking mainly about Juliette and the rest of the clinic's workers when I made the remark about kitty's tongue, but glad we were spared the sight of Majique really losing it, fur and all!Smile

The idea of Kimura and Kolt working together is a valid one, but I can't get around the fact that the two might just go directly to Nick to get the coins. But you're right that Kelly is searching for the person or persons who betrayed the location of the coins, so Kolt would have to be considered as a suspect. Shoot, I hope he's not the one, because Steinadlers can be very loyal (to what seems to be the question), and a Schakal just physically looks like a bad guy! That's my unassailable logic.Wink

Spoiler :
Discussing this subject reminds that I've always wondered why Nick doesn't have a memory of Gina Sarafini from that night. After all, she donated a head to the cause and deserves a little recognition.

I didn't know Renard's mom was dead; have been thinking maybe she continued living in Portland after she brought him there. It's an interesting hypothesis you make, but hope it doesn't turn out to be true because then both Kolt and Renard would be the bad guys!Sad

RE: Rewatch: 1x22 - Woman in Black - HellJacket - 08-18-2013

(08-18-2013, 02:54 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: Akira Kimura - he "questioned" Farley Kolt for days. Rest in peace. But I still hope there's a little chance to see Kolt again. His death wasn't proved, or did I miss something?
There is no evidence in this episode that Kimura questioned Kolt, let alone that Kolt is dead. That's a possible scenario based on some facts, but there's nothing dispositive (or even likely dispositive) in this episode.

And had Kimura actually questioned Kolt, the entire episode would not have made any sense (which also rules out Kolt and Kimura working together). Kimura would have known Nick had the coins all along.

Though, what's interesting is that Kimura knew that Nick was a grimm. I have not been able to figure out an acceptable theory where he learned this information. Maybe he learned Nick's last name from the former New York cop, and put two and two together (i.e., Nick is the son of Kelly Burkhardt, a grimm). However, I have many issues with that one.