Grimm Forum
Sarah Michelle Gellar open to a Buffy Movie - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Television Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Television-Forum)
+--- Forum: TV Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-TV-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Sarah Michelle Gellar open to a Buffy Movie (/Thread-Sarah-Michelle-Gellar-open-to-a-Buffy-Movie)

Sarah Michelle Gellar open to a Buffy Movie - GrimmForum - 08-08-2013

Read an interesting article that Sarah Michelle Gellar is open to a Buffy Movie. This was surprising to me, because I thought she'd never want to play Buffy again since the only reason the show ended in the first place was because she lost interest.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/31/sarah-michelle-gellar-buffy-kickstarter_n_3682644.html

Watch the interview below, skip to 4:18

I did however watch a video of Joss Whedon being asked about a Firefly Kickstarter movie. He said that while he'd absolutely love to do it, it'd have to be after he finishes his obligations with Marvel, and Nathan Fillion would probably have to be done with Castle.

Hopefully we get both movies! And maybe he'll direct a Grimm episode on the side Wink.

RE: Sarah Michelle Gellar open to a Buffy Movie - pale boy - 08-08-2013

Whut. That's ... ungh, I don't have a word to describe the full amount of fannishness going on in my brain right now. Gellar is willing to do a proper Buffy movie?! *flails arms* I really want this to happen. (And if Firefly got another film ... wow.)

I just hope it ignores the comics altogether due to a certain character they killed off in them. :{

RE: Sarah Michelle Gellar open to a Buffy Movie - Lou - 08-08-2013

I'm not sure Veronica Mars proved the kickstarter concept. It could very well have been a perfect storm. Bell is a super actress who just keeps getting better (looking) with age. And has had some success in other parts. Mars fans have actually increased since the show went off the air. I (for one) didn't start watching the show till it was off the air and the DVDs came out. (it was on at the same time as Lost and my vcr couldn't record two shows at a time) Then I turned on the rest of my family who went out and became marshmallows too. Plus with the ten year high school reunion concept, the other actors not doing anything (except the guy who played Dick), and that some of the cast and writing staff having stayed tight throughout the years, i think all they needed was a studio's commitment.

Firefly has already been made into a movie. It didn't make enough money. From what i understand there was two more scripts and some commitments made by the cast - but it had to make 100 million and it only made 40 - or something like that. All the fans are terrific - without even a whole season to watch - I don't think there are that many new fans. Of course I would wait in line for that movie.

I heard that there may be a Party Down movie made some day. IMDB has it listed in development. If its a cash issue - maybe it will go with Kickstarter. Many of the Mars cast made appearances in Party Down so there might be some bleed over. But I'm not so sure it could be made into a good movie. Veroncica Mars always had some drama, suspense and action. Party down is just a funny sit com.

RE: Sarah Michelle Gellar open to a Buffy Movie - HellJacket - 08-08-2013

(08-08-2013, 07:35 AM)Lou Wrote: Firefly has already been made into a movie. It didn't make enough money. From what i understand there was two more scripts and some commitments made by the cast - but it had to make 100 million and it only made 40 - or something like that. All the fans are terrific - without even a whole season to watch - I don't think there are that many new fans. Of course I would wait in line for that movie.

Serenity, the Firefly Movie, made about $26 million domestically and about about $39 million worldwide. When the budget is $39 million, that's not good. I'm guessing, after licensing fees and DVD/Blu Ray sales, Serenity may have broken even (though, with distribution costs, probably not).
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=serenity.htm

The lesson of Serenity is that "popularity" on the Internet is very poor fan sampling. Given that Veronica Mars has less fan support than Firefly did, I doubt that movie will make even $10 million in theaters. Is that really a problem, though? Not necessarily. As long as the Veronica Mars Movie budget doesn't break $5 million on the actual production, it'll probably make money at some point (but it may not go to theaters or will only get limited release). After Serenity, niche television shows aren't getting Hollywood budgets anytime soon.

In the case of another Buffy movie, it's likely the same situation as Veronica Mars. If Gellar wants to make the movie on a shoe-string budget, it could easily get made. However, with a show like Buffy, if you're not going get a Hollywood budget, is there really any point to making it? It'll simply be a really long stand-alone episode about "where are they now." For hardcore fans, that may be fine, but casual fans (and people who have never been fans) will be disappointed. Hell, the original Buffy movie only made $16 million in the United States, and that would likely have been an easier sell to casual fans than a movie based on the television show.

RE: Sarah Michelle Gellar open to a Buffy Movie - GrimmForum - 08-09-2013

I edited my original post and added a video clip of that interview. Skip to 4:18 for that question.

Buffy still has a pretty devoted fan base, and Joss Whedon's only gotten more famous since the end of that show, so if they were ever to have a Kickstarter Campaign, I would imagine it would break the record set by Veronica Mars.

@paleboy - So that one main character that got killed off in the comics, here's another major spoiler, so be warned, but I heard that

Spoiler :
Giles was reborn as a kid

RE: Sarah Michelle Gellar open to a Buffy Movie - HellJacket - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 01:17 AM)GrimmForum Wrote: . . . Joss Whedon's only gotten more famous since the end of that show, . . .
Since I can never resist a chance to bash Joss Whedon, I have to disagree with this statement.

The Cabin in the Woods (2012) made $48 million domestically ($67 million worldwide), while having a budget of $65 million. That's a disappointment.

http://horror-movies.wikia.com/wiki/The_Cabin_in_the_Woods

That movie was produced and written by Whedon (but not directed, I admit). Unless The Avengers has jacked up Whedon's popularity (and where I can't quantifying yet), his fame isn't particularly worthwhile at this point. Or maybe Joss Whedon has grown in fame, but that hasn't correlated to any kind of increased marketability (as it has with Nolan) for his films. That type of fame is the only kind I care about.