Grimm Forum
Happy 4th of July - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Happy 4th of July (/Thread-Happy-4th-of-July--2829)

Happy 4th of July - speakeasy - 07-04-2016

Seems like a good day to say a few things.

To all USA posters, have a great fourth. To all other posters, have a great day.

It's a day to wax patriotic, so here goes. A word of caution to Americans; enjoy our wonderful country's freedoms, but become more politically aware; participate more in ensuring those freedoms.

President Eisenhower warned Americans to beware of the Military/Industrial complex. Not only is that a timely warning, but it's become the Military/Industrial/Corporation/Financial complex in these last few years.

I've been hanging around for three quarters of a century now, and never have I seen a more critical time for the survival of a robust middle class - which is the only way to maintain a democracy. I'm speaking exclusively of my own country, but it's probably a worry that could be applied to many others.

How do you prevent that from happening, well here's wise old saying we attribute to Thomas Jefferson - 'The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.' The founders knew it because they gave their lives to secure it, but many of us view it as a birthright; it isn't, it's a privilege. One that comes with a price. Many, many more citizens must become activists for the average American's rights to prosperity that are accruing more and more to the wealthy (by way of the markets, financial institutions, and lobbyists). A broken economy is the devil's foothold. No violence is needed, just the determination to do what is necessary to secure a good life with a future for our children. Speak out, organize, protest, work at it, and most importantly, vote.

Kinda like what Grimm folks will be faced with in the final season. Will Portland become the center of authoritarian rule or will Nick and company find a way to stop it. Hoping the last episodes of the show will work out with positive endings for Nick, Juliette, Diana and Renard; had to take that parting shot, haha.

Happy trails. Smile

RE: Happy 4th of July - New Guy - 07-04-2016

Hi Speakeasy,
Happy 4th of July! That is 240 years of Independence.
Speaking of Roy Rogers, the "King of Cowboys," here is a video of Happy Trails:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcYsO890YJY
He had a great career:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Rogers
He and Dale Evans were married 54 years. Note that he was born in Cincinnati, so wfmyers1207 can brag a bit.
New Guy

RE: Happy 4th of July - panther19 - 07-04-2016

Speakeasy,
Happy 4th of July to you. I have been around as long as you have and couldn't agree more with everything you say. I am quite concerned about the state of our country and the upcoming elections. I am a registered democrat but appreciate the fact that I can vote for anybody - except in the primaries where one can only vote party and independents cannot vote at all (which doesn't seem fair, but it is what it is in PA). I stay in touch with my local, state and national representatives. There used to be compromise on issues. Now if a rep is in a minority situation, not much happens to try to solve problems. The future of our country is so urgent, and it is the present that will take us into the future. Greed and hatred needs to somehow be defeated. Of course I will vote, I always do - but for whom? Huh
I have been re-watching some of the Grimm eps. which I recorded on my vcr Looking forward to season 6 and hope it will be 22 episodes.
Happy 4th of July to all!

RE: Happy 4th of July - speakeasy - 07-04-2016

(07-04-2016, 10:57 AM)New Guy Wrote: Hi Speakeasy,
Speaking of Roy Rogers, the "King of Cowboys," here is a video of Happy Trails:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcYsO890YJY
He and Dale Evans were married 54 years. Note that he was born in Cincinnati, so wfmyers1207 can brag a bit.
New Guy

Thanks, New Guy. I couldn't bring up the site from here so I googled it; that's saying something for this lazy old woman! It was very enjoyable to visit a more innocent time in our history, it's also good that things keep changing, it's nature's way. But RR and Dale were great role models for the young. Wishing a happy Fourth to you and yours.

(Hey, wfmyers1207, counting you and RR, that makes two famous Americans from Cinci! There's probably millions of famous Americans from the great state of Ohio, and the great city of Cincinnati. Smile

(07-04-2016, 11:13 AM)panther19 Wrote: Speakeasy,
Happy 4th of July to you. I have been around as long as you have and couldn't agree more with everything you say. I am quite concerned about the state of our country and the upcoming elections. I am a registered democrat but appreciate the fact that I can vote for anybody - except in the primaries where one can only vote party and independents cannot vote at all (which doesn't seem fair, but it is what it is in PA). I stay in touch with my local, state and national representatives. There used to be compromise on issues. Now if a rep is in a minority situation, not much happens to try to solve problems. The future of our country is so urgent, and it is the present that will take us into the future. Greed and hatred needs to somehow be defeated. Of course I will vote, I always do - but for whom? Huh
I have been re-watching some of the Grimm eps. which I recorded on my vcr Looking forward to season 6 and hope it will be 22 episodes.

Thanks for the kind words, Panther19, we old goats still have a few kicks left in us, don't we, haha. We have a bit of wisdom that sinks into the bones with age, too. The great middle class of our amazing country has to work as a team, not with the gap widening between sides. I am convinced there are behind-the-scenes special interest groups striving to create discord and division in the nation, while all along promoting a secret agenda - simply put, control. It's an old trick, and it works especially well when people are going through hard economic times or are afraid of attacks from outside. Don't think it can't happen here, I see it all around me.

Just stepped down from my soap box, I need a drink of water, that preaching will take it out of you. Big Grin But seriously, I'm also looking forward to season 6, can't wait. Smile

RE: Happy 4th of July - wfmyers1207 - 07-05-2016

(07-04-2016, 11:39 AM)speakeasy Wrote:
(07-04-2016, 10:57 AM)New Guy Wrote: Hi Speakeasy,
New Guy

Thanks, New Guy. I couldn't bring up the site from here so I googled it; that's saying something for this lazy old woman! It was very enjoyable to visit a more innocent time in our history, it's also good that things keep changing, it's nature's way. But RR and Dale were great role models for the young. Wishing a happy Fourth to you and yours.

(Hey, wfmyers1207, counting you and RR, that makes two famous Americans from Cinci! There's probably millions of famous Americans from the great state of Ohio, and the great city of Cincinnati. Smile

(07-04-2016, 11:13 AM)panther19 Wrote: Speakeasy,

Thanks for the kind words, Panther19, we old goats still have a few kicks left in us, don't we, haha. We have a bit of wisdom that sinks into the bones with age, too. The great middle class of our amazing country has to work as a team, not with the gap widening between sides. I am convinced there are behind-the-scenes special interest groups striving to create discord and division in the nation, while all along promoting a secret agenda - simply put, control. It's an old trick, and it works especially well when people are going through hard economic times or are afraid of attacks from outside. Don't think it can't happen here, I see it all around me.

Just stepped down from my soap box, I need a drink of water, that preaching will take it out of you. Big Grin But seriously, I'm also looking forward to season 6, can't wait. Smile

I appreciate what you said speakeasy. I am saddened by what is happening lately. This nation once had leaders by the name of Washington, Lincoln and Roosevelt. What choices do we have now, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump!? How low have we sunk?!Angry