Grimm Forum
One thing that always annoyed me about Nick & Juliette and Truble - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: One thing that always annoyed me about Nick & Juliette and Truble (/Thread-One-thing-that-always-annoyed-me-about-Nick-Juliette-and-Truble)

Pages: 1 2 3

One thing that always annoyed me about Nick & Juliette and Truble - izzy - 06-03-2016

So this has annoyed me for some time. Truble is living with Nick and Juliette (very nice of Nick to take her under his wing and even nicer of Juliette to let another woman into Nick's life and live under the same roof, so props to both of them).

But here is the thing. Truble is a young woman who has had some issues. She may be a Grimm but that does not mean she needs to act like a Grimm. That is a choice. Get colored contacts and one will know you are a Grimm.

It seesms to me that is the conversation an adult would have had with a troubled youth like Truble. She still could have a fairly normal life, gone to college, had a career, meet a nice boy, get married, have children: all that could have been hers. Going around lopping off heads is a choice but given how she evolved I am not sure she even knew she had a choice. It seems to me someone should have talked this through with her. I mean at this point her body count may exceed the notches on Adalind's bedpost.

RE: One thing that always annoyed me about Nick & Juliette and Truble - Nicholas White - 06-03-2016

Truble is grown and can make her own decisions. It wasn't up to Juilette or Nick to make those decisions for her. If Truble didn't want to be a grimm then she could have learned to ignore it. I mean Nick learned how to deal with his stuff and he has had his grimmness for less time or the exact same amount of time.

RE: One thing that always annoyed me about Nick & Juliette and Truble - SilentEcho - 06-03-2016

Her being a Grimm is better than her thinking she is crazy. She had aged out of the system so she was over 18. I think she likes being a Grimm, and how do you sit in school knowing you have this amazing ability that can be used for good? How do you pretend to have a normal life and relationships when you are a Grimm? Josh's father did, but it caught up to him in the end anyway. IMO it was not up to Nick or Juliette to decide, it was for Trubel and she did.

RE: One thing that always annoyed me about Nick & Juliette and Truble - irukandji - 06-03-2016

(06-03-2016, 09:06 PM)izzy Wrote: So this has annoyed me for some time. Truble is living with Nick and Juliette (very nice of Nick to take her under his wing and even nicer of Juliette to let another woman into Nick's life and live under the same roof, so props to both of them).

But here is the thing. Truble is a young woman who has had some issues. She may be a Grimm but that does not mean she needs to act like a Grimm. That is a choice. Get colored contacts and one will know you are a Grimm.

It seesms to me that is the conversation an adult would have had with a troubled youth like Truble. She still could have a fairly normal life, gone to college, had a career, meet a nice boy, get married, have children: all that could have been hers. Going around lopping off heads is a choice but given how she evolved I am not sure she even knew she had a choice. It seems to me someone should have talked this through with her. I mean at this point her body count may exceed the notches on Adalind's bedpost.

Just when I thought I've read just about every thought about Grimm, something new and different comes along. Kudos!

Here are some of my thoughts on this. Juliette's character has been criticized as wooden, and she is. However, she is a veterinarian and sometimes these professionals never get into the things most people take for granted, like having a sense of humor or expressing emotion. My MD was very dry and emotionless before he passed away. I used to try and say things to get him to smile. I succeeded once.

The other thing I've noticed about Juliette is that she's very seldom called upon to offer advice to the troubled. That also puts her in an unfavorable light as unfeeling, snobby, and cold hearted. This could have been resolved by have Nick at least confide in her. But then he couldn't blabber on to Monroe or to Hank.

Nick is also a more often than not a rather emotionless and bland character. At first I was inclined to attribute that to the fact that he is in law enforcement, and those guys have to keep their emotions in check. Now I'm not so sure. I have read that Juliette was the love of his life. Looking back on how he acted around her, it makes me wonder just exactly what his view of love is.

As mentioned in the brain thread, Nick's a dim light bulb, and as such, no one wastes precious time and energy trying to get advice from him. There's also the issue that he thinks being a Grimm is a perfectly normal thing, which makes him mentally ill in my opinion.

We've also never seen Nick actually deal with troubled youth. I get the impression he's not the fatherly type and the few times I've seen him with Kelly haven't altered that perception.

So what do they do? Juliette simply chooses to ignore Trubel's past and is content to let Nick deal with her. Nick, on the other hand, is apparently so thrilled at actually meeting another Grimm, he overlooks everything about Trubel's past.

Trubel never had a chance with Juliette and Nick.

RE: One thing that always annoyed me about Nick & Juliette and Truble - syscrash - 06-03-2016

Trubel could no less be a Grimm then Rosalee could be a fuschbau. Being wesen or a grimm is more then ability. It is what they are, it is what drives their actions. Trying to rationalize the characters based on real life examples is flawed.Characters are what the writers make them.

RE: One thing that always annoyed me about Nick & Juliette and Truble - irukandji - 06-03-2016

(06-03-2016, 10:26 PM)syscrash Wrote: Trubel could no less be a Grimm then Rosalee could be a fuschbau. Being wesen or a grimm is more then ability. It is what they are, it is what drives their actions. Trying to rationalize the characters based on real life examples is flawed.Characters are what the writers make them.

Are you saying people like Trubel and Nick should be allowed to act outside the law or civilized norms because whatever makes them Grimms drives their actions?

RE: One thing that always annoyed me about Nick & Juliette and Truble - Robyn - 06-04-2016

Marie’s out of the blue and brief enlightenment of Nick’s heritage had to make him feel special, and he seemed to buy into it without much provocation. By the time Trubel came along, I doubt Nick considered any lifestyle more desirable than being a Grimm, and Juliette appeared to accept & enjoy her role as girlfriend/future wife of the Grimm.

So I don’t see either having the necessary unbiased insight to suggest any options to Trubel, even something as simple as, Trubel can’t run from what/who she is, but that shouldn’t prevent her from having as normal a life as possible - i.e. - going to college, having a career, etc.

Nick ignored Marie’s warning and stayed with Juliette, but he didn’t suggest to Trubel she could do the same - have a personal life, fall in love, have a family.

RE: One thing that always annoyed me about Nick & Juliette and Truble - wfmyers1207 - 06-04-2016

(06-03-2016, 09:06 PM)izzy Wrote: So this has annoyed me for some time. Truble is living with Nick and Juliette (very nice of Nick to take her under his wing and even nicer of Juliette to let another woman into Nick's life and live under the same roof, so props to both of them).

I don't know Izzy. Is it really a choice? Look, this is a fantasy show. But, lets say for the sake of argument, that it wasn't. How could Truble or Nick, or anyone else simply forget what is out there? Dodgy

RE: One thing that always annoyed me about Nick & Juliette and Truble - brandon - 06-04-2016

depending on the type of parenting.Nick was raised by his aunt and has a high moral.
in certain situations change.
she considered it the curse of the family but had agreed to be so.

RE: One thing that always annoyed me about Nick & Juliette and Truble - izzy - 06-04-2016

(06-04-2016, 07:20 AM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: I don't know Izzy. Is it really a choice? Look, this is a fantasy show. But, lets say for the sake of argument, that it wasn't. How could Truble or Nick, or anyone else simply forget what is out there? Dodgy

Well, for once I'll go with a premise of the infamous Hexenadler: redemption.

It isn't a matter of forgetting it is a matter of discipline and will power powered by the desire to affect change in the individual or circumstances around the individual.

So consider three types of people we all may know:

01) the parting good time guy
02) the town slut
03) the drug addict

In all three cases there are people who examine their life and decide they do not want to be the person they currently are in the future. So they reform themselves. It is not an easy task. In the first case though there are boys who grow into men, settle down and become good fathers, husbands, providers and someone of positive stature in their community.

In the second case there are women who stop spreading their legs for every guy, got selective and find a partner who accepts them for who they are now and not who they were, married and become a great mother, a terrific spouse and involved in their community.

And, I think the third may be the most applicable to Grimms, there are drug addicts who are able to stop, they always will have a substance problem, the issue never goes away, but they are able to discipline themselves and build successful lives for themselves by simply choosing not to participate.

But there is more here. Truble came from, well, a troubled past - period. The systems she were in were fraught with very unstable characters and unsavory ones too. So the likelihood was, the wesen she encountered were a small section of all wesen, but among those most prone to acting inappropriately/violently/aggressively. Truble was not likely to come across Bud, the Ice Beaver refrigerator repairman, or even a successful hexenbiest lawyer, in other words she was in an environment (much like Nick's) were she was going to encounter the scum of the wesen world and not the well integrated wesen who play by society's rules.

This is why I think it is reasonable to assume there is a large element of choice at play here.