Grimm Forum
Renard do you like him as a Bad guy or A good guy? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Renard do you like him as a Bad guy or A good guy? (/Thread-Renard-do-you-like-him-as-a-Bad-guy-or-A-good-guy)

Pages: 1 2

Renard do you like him as a Bad guy or A good guy? - Kathryn Wooten - 05-27-2016

Renard plays both very well. But do you like him to stay a baddie or have that shade of gray that makes him good

RE: Renard do you like him as a Bad guy or A good guy? - Hexenadler - 05-27-2016

I like him as a DEAD guy.

RE: Renard do you like him as a Bad guy or A good guy? - speakeasy - 05-27-2016

Since he's my favorite character on the show I want him to be a good guy. As I see things, there are two driving forces that define Renard. One is his bastard status in his family (Elizabeth has a family also but we never have heard anything about them, so I'm referring to the Royal side now) and the history of threats and attempts on his life that involved. We should remember that many of those threats were also aimed at his mother. To move in his world he almost certainly would have had to adopt an 'it's them or me' attitude to survive.

The second is his intense ambition, which always carries the possibility of the corruption of the individual who's consumed by it. His saving grace, to me, is he does seem to have a code that includes a general sense of what's right, which lies just under his dominant layer of wanting to win. I plead guilty to having a very subjective view of the character, so I am probably projecting what I want to see.

He's always teetered on the line dividing good and bad, imo, so I hope he behaves himself during what looks like the last season of the show.

RE: Renard do you like him as a Bad guy or A good guy? - Kathryn Wooten - 05-27-2016

(05-27-2016, 07:13 AM)speakeasy Wrote: Since he's my favorite character on the show I want him to be a good guy. As I see things, there are two driving forces that define Renard. One is his bastard status in his family (Elizabeth has a family also but we never have heard anything about them, so I'm referring to the Royal side now) and the history of threats and attempts on his life that involved. We should remember that many of those threats were also aimed at his mother. To move in his world he almost certainly would have had to adopt an 'it's them or me' attitude to survive.

The second is his intense ambition, which always carries the possibility of the corruption of the individual who's consumed by it. His saving grace, to me, is he does seem to have a code that includes a general sense of what's right, which lies just under his dominant layer of wanting to win. I plead guilty to having a very subjective view of the character, so I am probably projecting what I want to see.

He's always teetered on the line dividing good and bad, imo, so I hope he behaves himself during what looks like the last season of the show.

I have love Renard's character since day one...this year when he was hardly on. I did not watch as much. Seems he brings something to the scene..so as you can see most of my threads are Renard related. I like Renard somewhat in the middle. Being a bad guy on the good side. example: when he cut off the reaper ear ,because he was going after Nick that sorta bad guy...

(05-27-2016, 07:30 AM)Kathryn Wooten Wrote: I have love Renard's character since day one...this year when he was hardly on. I did not watch as much. Seems he brings something to the scene..so as you can see most of my threads are Renard related. I like Renard somewhat in the middle. Being a bad guy on the good side. example: when he cut off the reaper ear ,because he was going after Nick that sorta bad guy...

We are in sync with that, Kathryn, I wholeheartedly agree. Smile I can confess my weakness for Renard to a kindred spirit, so here goes.

The guy has charisma. Which seems to include a bit of a bad boy aura, which makes him appear dangerous, which in turn make him seem like an alpha male, which often makes the ladies attracted to him.

He's in pretty darn fine form; eye candy quality, imo.

He has a very beautiful speaking voice, enhanced by a confident and competent acting style.

Last on the list, but significant, imo, I have always remembered something a fan wrote when the program was new, and it's always stuck with me: "It's the suits." Think she had something there, haha.

RE: Renard do you like him as a Bad guy or A good guy? - wfmyers1207 - 05-27-2016

I guess we all love our heroes in a story. But, frankly the bad guys tend to be more interesting. I liked Renard better during S1 when he was basically a wesen crime lord hiding behind his badge.

We all knew why he was doing it, to build up an organization that could protect him from the Royals if need be, but he was more interesting then IMHO.

One of the reasons I became a fan of "Grimm" was the moral ambiguity of our heroes. Nick, for example, tries to do what's right. A few Forum members have talked him down saying he was all wrong and really a bad guy.

I strongly disagree. IMO he has tried his best to treat everyone the same and handle things as a law enforcement officer when he can. Those times he went outside the bounds of the law were because he didn't have much choice. Let murderers, etc, walk free to do it again or take them down the old school Grimm way. Take your pick! Huh

It's easy to make moral judgements when you aren't the one who actually has to make the call! Dodgy

RE: Renard do you like him as a Bad guy or A good guy? - jsgrimm45 - 05-27-2016

Think he is a confused guy. In that he always had to defend himself against the royals, so he is always on the fence. Even after Nick has helped him and the scoobies have help him he still turned on them this season. Meisner was a good example now at the end of season 5 we see him back on the fence.

Now when he becomes Mayor what will this Renard be?

(05-27-2016, 08:05 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: Think he is a confused guy. In that he always had to defend himself against the royals, so he is always on the fence. Even after Nick has helped him and the scoobies have help him he still turned on them this season. Meisner was a good example now at the end of season 5 we see him back on the fence.

If you mean Renard betrayed Meisner to the BC, guess that's possible. But during the scene where Meisner actually dies, he did try to stop Bonaparte from killing Meisner. To me, Meisner was begging with his eyes for Sean to end his suffering and that is why he shot him.

RE: Renard do you like him as a Bad guy or A good guy? - jsgrimm45 - 05-27-2016

(05-27-2016, 08:15 AM)speakeasy Wrote:
(05-27-2016, 08:05 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: Think he is a confused guy. In that he always had to defend himself against the royals, so he is always on the fence. Even after Nick has helped him and the scoobies have help him he still turned on them this season. Meisner was a good example now at the end of season 5 we see him back on the fence.

If you mean Renard betrayed Meisner to the BC, guess that's possible. But during the scene where Meisner actually dies, he did try to stop Bonaparte from killing Meisner. To me, Meisner was begging with his eyes for Sean to end his suffering and that is why he shot him.
I thought that also so in that case Renard did the right thing. Guess my point was more on the line in has office to Nick about it was time for wesen to run things and how it would do it.

(05-27-2016, 08:24 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote:
(05-27-2016, 08:15 AM)speakeasy Wrote:

I thought that also so in that case Renard did the right thing. Guess my point was more on the line in has office to Nick about it was time for wesen to run things and how it would do it.

In that case I get it, jsgrimm45, Renard did sound like he was a true believer in that scene. I've got my fingers crossed that he comes to his senses and changes his mind - or that he was following a script he conceived for any spies around who might report back to Bonaparte.