Grimm Forum
S5E20 - Bad Night - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 5 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-5)
+---- Thread: S5E20 - Bad Night (/Thread-S5E20-Bad-Night)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: S5E20 - Bad Night - izzy - 05-15-2016

(05-15-2016, 07:31 AM)Robyn Wrote: If taking advice from Meisner & Eve isn’t the answer, then Nick taking a step back & calculating specific moves to achieve his endgame should be. Nick on a rampage might be entertaining, but it doesn’t present a Grimm or a man who is acting intelligently and in control of his emotions/actions.

Has Nick ever struck you as the overly cognitive type? The show may revolve around him, but over the seasons it seems to me like Monroe, Rosalee, Juliette Hank, and Wu, did most of his thinking for him.

His thing seems to be a strange sort of empathy for others he is not close to.

To me the show would make more sense and have been vastly improved if they overtly stated Nick is emotionally crippled or a high functioning autistic. All through the series Nick seemed a little bit off to me; perhaps Asperger's Syndrome?

RE: S5E20 - Bad Night - FaceInTheCrowd - 05-16-2016

Nick was trained to be a LEO and was apparently pretty good at it because he made detective. But a LEO is not trained to be a warrior or a strategist, regardless of what one might expect after watching all those Die Hard movies. With the help of his friends - and most especially, with information from Monroe and Rosalee - Nick has been treading water in the deep end of the pool ever since he first turned grimm, but with the sudden shift from collecting clues, questioning suspects and solving crimes to having to fight an extended war, it looks as if he's about to go under.

RE: S5E20 - Bad Night - brandon - 05-16-2016

Tony's cat was definitely to hide their own scent.Black Claw was who gave the money to Tony -what he demanded to Rosalee.
Nick never had special training, only that would give the police.at first he did not do well, as happened with the ogre.As for being a "GRIMM" is genetic and how about learning.
as with the animals.

RE: S5E20 - Bad Night - Robyn - 05-16-2016

(05-15-2016, 10:17 PM)izzy Wrote: Has Nick ever struck you as the overly cognitive type? The show may revolve around him, but over the seasons it seems to me like Monroe, Rosalee, Juliette Hank, and Wu, did most of his thinking for him.
No, Nick doesn’t possess cognitive skills. He relies too much on Grimm strength and too little on Grimm, and human, instinct when addressing danger and problems in general. Nick has an effective support group, but the benefit is conditional to Nick utilizing that support and learning from it. And that’s where I think Nick’s biggest problems is. Five years as a Grimm and Nick will still fail to act in time to prevent the preventable then overreact when the preventable bites him on the ass.

Quote:His thing seems to be a strange sort of empathy for others he is not close to.
Not saying that Nick isn’t compassionate, but I see his strange empathy for others as Nick having a selfish nature. It’s much easier for Nick to reach out to someone experiencing emotional trauma when it doesn’t affect him personally.

Quote:To me the show would make more sense and have been vastly improved if they overtly stated Nick is emotionally crippled or a high functioning autistic. All through the series Nick seemed a little bit off to me; perhaps Asperger's Syndrome?
Asperger's syndrome - that made me laugh. But, yea, could have been one of the characteristics utilized when creating the character.

I can give Nick a little latitude in this area, in the earlier seasons, but not as much now. Consider that Nick didn’t have any prior training / preparation for becoming a Grimm. His world was turned upside down in a instant. But he’s had five years to acclimate.

side note: emotionally crippled and socially immature. I think one of the reasons his & Juliette’s relationship worked in the beginning was because she wasn’t just a girlfriend/lover, but she was also a friend with a motherly/nurturing nature. Their relationship was much more akin to an old married couple than people in their late twenties. Juliette provided him a calm, supportive, predictable household.

RE: S5E20 - Bad Night - speakeasy - 05-16-2016

Wouldn't be much of an ensemble effort if the various members of the group didn't add to the story, otherwise what's the point.

Maybe it would suit the image of the main character if he were to blubber and wring his hands more, but this fan doesn't experience him as emotionally challenged; just self-contained. Perhaps his basic hero-of-the-show persona would increase his appeal to some if he disclosed himself more openly and revealed a more vulnerable side - just go with the free association and let it all out.

Problem is leadership is isolating. It does demand that one not show human doubts readily because it would demoralize the group one leads. It does require tamping down emotional responses, especially those involving issues of trust. If ever there were a prevailing atmosphere of distrust and betrayal more present than in the cold war era, Nick's world is it.

Nevertheless, it's been my pleasure to witness his growth into his role of Grimm throughout the past five seasons. Imo, he's emerged as a battered but better man. His hasn't been a happy ride, and he'll probably be denied the refuge of a normal family life until he finishes his run, dunno. Of course he's in over his head with this latest development; he's been learning on the job since the beginning. I don't look at spoilers, so I'll probably end up with a red face after next week's episode, but I think Nick will out-think and out-maneuver his opposition; he's certainly is equal to the task, in my view.

RE: S5E20 - Bad Night - izzy - 05-16-2016

(05-16-2016, 06:22 AM)Robyn Wrote:
(05-15-2016, 10:17 PM)izzy Wrote: Has Nick ever struck you as the overly cognitive type? The show may revolve around him, but over the seasons it seems to me like Monroe, Rosalee, Juliette Hank, and Wu, did most of his thinking for him.
No, Nick doesn’t possess cognitive skills. He relies too much on Grimm strength and too little on Grimm, and human, instinct when addressing danger and problems in general. Nick has an effective support group, but the benefit is conditional to Nick utilizing that support and learning from it. And that’s where I think Nick’s biggest problems is. Five years as a Grimm and Nick will still fail to act in time to prevent the preventable then overreact when the preventable bites him on the ass.

Quote:His thing seems to be a strange sort of empathy for others he is not close to.
Not saying that Nick isn’t compassionate, but I see his strange empathy for others as Nick having a selfish nature. It’s much easier for Nick to reach out to someone experiencing emotional trauma when it doesn’t affect him personally.

Quote:To me the show would make more sense and have been vastly improved if they overtly stated Nick is emotionally crippled or a high functioning autistic. All through the series Nick seemed a little bit off to me; perhaps Asperger's Syndrome?
Asperger's syndrome - that made me laugh. But, yea, could have been one of the characteristics utilized when creating the character.

I can give Nick a little latitude in this area, in the earlier seasons, but not as much now. Consider that Nick didn’t have any prior training / preparation for becoming a Grimm. His world was turned upside down in a instant. But he’s had five years to acclimate.

side note: emotionally crippled and socially immature. I think one of the reasons his & Juliette’s relationship worked in the beginning was because she wasn’t just a girlfriend/lover, but she was also a friend with a motherly/nurturing nature. Their relationship was much more akin to an old married couple than people in their late twenties. Juliette provided him a calm, supportive, predictable household.

Wow, kind of spooky when you agree with someone in such totality. Great post!

RE: S5E20 - Bad Night - irukandji - 05-16-2016

(05-15-2016, 10:17 PM)izzy Wrote: Has Nick ever struck you as the overly cognitive type?

No surprise here, but no.

Nick doesn't seem to have the sixth sense that experienced cops have. For instance, his mode of questioning a suspect. He's prone to beating the crap out of them to get them to woge and then *show* them he's a Grimm rather than intimidate them intelligently with questions and get them to the point where they woge in response to stress. Then he could be the big bad Grimm to them.

I didn't like the whole Jack the Ripper storyline on Grimm. For one thing, that's been used a thousand times. But the one thing that really stood out was that Nick had no street resources to rely on that might bring Renard to them sooner. Experienced cops know street hookers and pimps. Sometimes they even have alliances with them and those alliances solve crimes because there are more eyes on the street looking for the killer.

How cool would it have been to have Renard stalking Henrietta, and Nick and the gang charge in before he has the chance to cut her throat?

RE: S5E20 - Bad Night - FaceInTheCrowd - 05-16-2016

Considering all the things Nick has had to deal with, he handled being a grimm and a cop reasonably well. His personal life went all to hell, but that's a common occupational hazard for cops even when they're not seeing people change into fairy tale creatures and having witches cast spells on them and theirs.

He is, however, definitely falling down on the job of being a grimm and a Tom Clancy hero.

RE: S5E20 - Bad Night - izzy - 05-16-2016

(05-16-2016, 09:32 AM)irukandji Wrote: Nick doesn't seem to have the sixth sense that experienced cops have. For instance, his mode of questioning a suspect. He's prone to beating the crap out of them to get them to woge and then *show* them he's a Grimm rather than intimidate them intelligently with questions and get them to the point where they woge in response to stress. Then he could be the big bad Grimm to them.

Exactly, it is a very one dimensional approach, and one I think the wesen community would have been aware of after he played that card a couple of times. The wesen, have a frurry-network and in after a couple of interrogations it would have been all over about a Grimm Cop who tries to intimidating you into woging to ascertain your wesen identity.

Quote:
I didn't like the whole Jack the Ripper storyline on Grimm.

Based on comments sash made in interviews, I supect hat was more Sasha working with the producers and writers to flex his acting muscles a bit. Sort of a cameo in the series. But that is speculation on my part.

The tentacled one, writes:

Quote:...But the one thing that really stood out was that Nick had no street resources to rely on that might bring Renard to them sooner. Experienced cops know street hookers and pimps. Sometimes they even have alliances with them and those alliances solve crimes because there are more eyes on the street looking for the killer.

You noticed that too, LOL. Given the amount of show time that is given to the fact Nick is a cop, it is amazing how little detail is played to actual police procedure. I love the fact Nick can just blow someone away and there is not even a one day desk assignment why the shooting is scrutinized.

Quote:How cool would it have been to have Renard stalking Henrietta, and Nick and the gang charge in before he has the chance to cut her throat?

I never have figured out why they killed her off. It still seems like a plot element that has gone no where.

RE: S5E20 - Bad Night - irukandji - 05-16-2016

(05-16-2016, 09:59 AM)izzy Wrote: I never have figured out why they killed her off. It still seems like a plot element that has gone no where.

I suspect it may have had to do with Claire's pregnancy. I have a feeling that threw a wrench into everything, and spawned the stupid Juliette turns traitor story.