Grimm Forum
Can't we all just get along? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Can't we all just get along? (/Thread-Can-t-we-all-just-get-along)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Can't we all just get along? - eric - 05-03-2016

Jeez Louise, some of the posters here need to take a few Valuims and a little Fireball and a smoke or two. I do not go to this show for cutting edge science, learned discourse on the relative merits of this or that moral or theological position, correct police procedure, or anything connected to "reality". I go to the show to get a needed escape from reality. I want reality, I watch MSNBC or Fox or the Science Channel. We can disagree without being disagreeable. If you think someone is morally corrupt and stupid beyond belief, send them a PM, please don't clutter this site with unneeded material.

RE: Can't we all just get along? - wfmyers1207 - 05-03-2016

(05-03-2016, 02:12 PM)eric Wrote: Jeez Louise, some of the posters here need to take a few Valuims and a little Fireball and a smoke or two. I do not go to this show for cutting edge science, learned discourse on the relative merits of this or that moral or theological position, correct police procedure, or anything connected to "reality". I go to the show to get a needed escape from reality. I want reality, I watch MSNBC or Fox or the Science Channel. We can disagree without being disagreeable. If you think someone is morally corrupt and stupid beyond belief, send them a PM, please don't clutter this site with unneeded material.

A good point of view. Truly, I do not like the kind of BS that appears here on the Forum sometimes. For me, this is a Fantasy show! There is nothing real about it. I must admit to taking exception to one episode earlier this season. But, I truly think that was justified.

I know this is a fantasy show. However, I cannot abide bigotry of any sort. If anyone has a problem with any religion, race, sexual orientation, etc...Let them keep it to themselves.

We are here to discuss a fantasy show. Smile

RE: Can't we all just get along? - irukandji - 05-03-2016

I would also like to post something in relation to this topic as well. I understand not everyone likes what is posted and we all have our own versions of the characters. That said, there is another kind of bigotry aimed at posters here; the kind that labels them as outcasts because they don't see things the way the majority of forum members see them. I've always liked this forum because we were free to post our thoughts and never had this problem in the past. Lately that's become impossible. As pointed out, this is a fantasy show. The moderators have been gracious enough to give everyone the right to their opinions. I would like to ask that fellow posters extend the same courtesy, regardless of whether or not they like the topic.

RE: Can't we all just get along? - syscrash - 05-03-2016

I will admit I will go off. On bigoted statements, positions of moral superiority, and bombastic rhetoric. I welcome other points of view when it has substance. What I find hard to take is when rhetoric replaces fact. When belief replaces truth. Take the most recent accusation. Diana is Evil. A position formulated based on a belief she should act a certain way. Yet based on the facts she has done only two things. One got mad and through the piece of metal. The second was insisting her mother come home. Lets examine the "hexenbiest are evil". A claim people make without putting the acts in context. The context is to Adalind Nick and friends are combatants. He is a Grimm she is a hexnebiest. As for Juliette she was pissed, and lashed out. Not one time have we seen a hexenbiest do something to someone just for the fun of it. Jack the Ripper was Evil, he killed for the joy of killing. Are hexenbiest deadly sure but then so are a lot of people with the ability to kill. does not make them Evil.

If someone has a belief and the belief helps get them through the day. Just remember that is you belief, it make you neither right nor wrong, make you neither good nor bad. The same is true for those that don't follow your same belief. Also remember a belief is not fact. You may believe Nick was raped, the fact is neither side believes that, and for a third party to prescribe to the idea they are wrong, or in denial is arrogance.

My last complaint is when people pick and choose events to make a point. Then they add some salacious adjective is if that helps make their point. This includes all the name calling and dispersion on the Actors abilities and motives for getting the job. And point should be able to stand on it's merits. When you have to wrap it in vile descriptions, it must not have much truth to it.

RE: Can't we all just get along? - Nightschade - 05-03-2016

Great post Eric.
I've been away from the forum for awhile and came back to see so many vitriolic posts it surprised me.
I think we all just need to learn to try and stick to the point of each thread and not bring in extraneous and unnecessary things. Of course, our views and opinions on Grimm are influenced by our views and opinions in real life, but it's perfectly possible to discuss the show without bringing in anything else. I've learned a long time ago that it's almost easier to just try and view the show in a vacuum: accept that it's not real life, these characters are not always going to react like real people, and just suspend your disbelief and enjoy the ride.
I also think that in general people need to approach every thread with respect, both to the topic and to the other members who are commenting on it.
If there is a discussion that you truly don't like, or that offends or angers you, you don't have to be a part of it. And if you do find it offensive, you can PM the member or a moderator. We're all adults here guys.

RE: Can't we all just get along? - wfmyers1207 - 05-04-2016

Sigh, mea culpa! Sad As another member of the Forum has recently reminded me, things used to be a lot more fun around here. I must plead guilty to being a bit vitriolic myself lately.

This was wrong of me. Blush

Folks, this Forum is meant to discuss a fantasy show. None of this is real. Let's all try to keep that in mind and just enjoy our (usually wrong! Tongue) speculations and insights, and perhaps inject a little humor into the discussion. Smile

I intend to do what I did back when I was a young NCO. Lead by example. Cool

RE: Can't we all just get along? - Belle - 05-04-2016

(05-03-2016, 02:12 PM)eric Wrote: Jeez Louise, some of the posters here need to take a few Valuims and a little Fireball and a smoke or two. I do not go to this show for cutting edge science, learned discourse on the relative merits of this or that moral or theological position, correct police procedure, or anything connected to "reality". I go to the show to get a needed escape from reality. I want reality, I watch MSNBC or Fox or the Science Channel. We can disagree without being disagreeable. If you think someone is morally corrupt and stupid beyond belief, send them a PM, please don't clutter this site with unneeded material.

Ah, if only there was a drug that imbued users with high-mindedness and empathy...
Then we could simply dump it in the drinking water and call it a day.
Alas, we are mere mortals and controlled by fiery emotions that get the better of us all at one time or another.
Lately, however, it does seems as though things have taken a turn for the nasty on the forum. Not sure what the genesis of this wave of vitriol has been, but I'll confess to getting swept up in the tide on more than one occasion.
Taking a moment to consciously reflect on the destructive nature of anger and bitterness will probably do us all some good, so thank you for the reminder that it's just a show and this forum merely a virtual meeting place meant to enhance our enjoyment of said show.

RE: Can't we all just get along? - Hexenadler - 05-04-2016

Eric, what you have to understand is that this series means a lot to many people. Sometimes it feels as if the fans regard the characters with more respect than the writers themselves do. Dismissing it as "just a TV show" is usually just an underhanded way of shutting down any negative criticism directed against it, which - in some cases - is well earned.

It's all well and good to talk about wanting to "escape from reality," but even the most fantastical franchises (STAR WARS, STAR TREK, HARRY POTTER, etc.) were based enough in the real world for the average viewer to relate to. The majority of the characters also tended to behave in a fashion that would make sense in similar real life situations.

GRIMM has a serious problem with its characters, in that the writers constantly force them in unbelievable or baffling directions purely for the plot's convenience. This causes the audience to lose empathy, and that's a recipe for disaster. You know how audience members occasionally scream at a horror movie in frustration whenever someone does something stupid? Same principle applies here. When it happens to characters we've actually come to CARE about, that's even worse.

You can stuff your TV show full of vampires, dragons, and elves, but if the audience doesn't like your protagonist(s), you've lost them. That's when you've really failed as a storyteller.

RE: Can't we all just get along? - Gretel Hanselsister - 05-05-2016

Thank all of you for this thread! It is so indescribably good to read this!

Opinions are very different in here and this is a good thing. It is the reason why we discuss things. But different opinions are meant to make discussions interesting, not ugly. Let us stay to our opinion, give reasons why we think so and read differing statements with a smile. Even the most opposite points of view can be inspiring when we stay friendly. No one here writes the show and so nobody is responsible what happens in the show, so there is no reason to get at each other’s throat.

Thanks again!

RE: Can't we all just get along? - syscrash - 05-08-2016

Where I see a lot of the hate coming from is, people taking this morel position of the characters actions. In reality morality is subjective. There are those that see it as absolute. Morality is based on ones belief system. For years society has formed the justification for these beliefs. What is happening now is, information is much more readily available. No longer are we limited to the position society wants us to believe. How many of the comments judge the characters based on who they sleep with. How many comments are not based on what the character did but who they did it to. Kill a bad guy your a hero, kill someone not a bad guy you are a villain. People forget one persons terrorist is the others persons freedom fighter.

Pick any argument on this form. You have one side that states the absolute facts this is what happened. They other side counters with it being justified or not justified according to what they believe. Example the two biggest sources of discussion Adalind and Juliette. They both without a doubt have participated in unacceptable actions based on societies standards yet one is judged harsher than the other. The judgement is based solely on the commenters personal beliefs. Of the women in Nick's life Aunt Mari dead, Adalind involved. Juliette in a coma, Adalind involved. Juliette a hexenbiest, Adalind involved. Nick mom dead, Juliette involved. Yet Juliette is framed as unredeemable and Adalind is his destined love. Every argument reason breaks down to Juliette killed his mom. The impact is something only based on belief of the severity of the action, and the emotions these beliefs bring. This ignores the fact that Adalind had active involvement, while Juliette had passive involvement.