Grimm Forum
Keys - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Characters (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Characters)
+--- Thread: Keys (/Thread-Keys)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Keys - irukandji - 12-13-2021

If Rolek knew Nebojsa, it would have made much more sense for Nebojsa to take the key and his things rather than Nick. I know it's just speculation here, but Nebojsa didn't know Nick. Plus, I can't imagine these Grimms having admiration for one another. 

I'm still of the opinion that Rolek should have given it all to Josh and let him make the decision as to what to do with it. Josh was already risking wesen wrath by even being around his father. Whether or not he had his father's things would have made little difference.

RE: Keys - FaceInTheCrowd - 12-14-2021

Rolek didn't look as if he was in any shape for overseas travel. A road trip to Portland pretty much finished him off. Maybe they just didn't trust international shipping? I wouldn't.

RE: Keys - N_grimm - 12-14-2021

Are we talking about Josef Nebojsa? He was born in 1919 and past away in 2015. He had no relatives. Why would Rolek give the key to him? He had a young and vital Grimm in Nick much closer to where he lived. The news that Nick had killed two reapers traveled fast, according to Kelly, so I guess Rolek thought Nick was resourceful and could actually protect the key - opposed to a guy who probably needed nursing and could be senile.

RE: Keys - irukandji - 12-14-2021

As I stated in my post, I am still of the opinion that the person who should have got Rolek's things was Josh. Not some unknown Grimm across the country.

RE: Keys - N_grimm - 12-14-2021

(12-14-2021, 02:39 PM)irukandji Wrote: As I stated in my post, I am still of the opinion that the person who should have got Rolek's things was Josh. Not some unknown Grimm across the country.
As I explained, Rolek had promised his father to protect the key, just as Nick had promised Marie. He thought it was important to find an active Grimm who could actually use the equipment and the books. Giving the key to a normal human would also be a death sentence.

This is equipment that primarily has value for a Grimm. It has no value to read instructions on how to kill a creature you can not see. The Grimm books are accumulated knowledge over centuries. Because the child of a Grimm does not necessarily become a Grimm, they need to find other Grimms to continue the tradition. In Grimm, it was established that you need to be a sort of creature to do certain things. Only a Grimm could open the sealed box that contained the stick, using his blood, just like only a Hexenbiest could open the hexenbiest books, using her blood. This is not about inheritance law, but about making sure that Grimms can continue to protect the world.

It's also about who has a halfway decent chance of holding the key and not getting beheaded.

Nebosja was the keeper of the grimm families' records. His records were kept up-to-date, as evidenced by the fact that he had Nick's name in the book, which would not have happened until after Nick came into his grimm abilities. So unless grimms outside the Kessler/Burkhardt family were more sociable with each other, they probably don't know where other grimms are and a grimm needing to pass on a key who didn't have another grimm in the family would contact Nebojsa for the nearest one. Nebojsa also had three keys, which suggests that he may be the destination of last resort for grimms who can't find anyone else to pass keys on to.

We can imagine that Nebosja himself might have been at a stage in life where he would have needed to find someone to pass his duties on to fairly soon if he hadn't been killed.

First of all, we don't know that Josh is never, ever, ever, going to become a Grimm. Nick didn't know, but voiced that he thought there was a chance of it happening to Josh. If there is a chance, then why wouldn't Nick, the wonderful, kind and oh so empathetic Grimm, insist that Josh keep his father's things? Second, so Rolek promised his father he would protect the key, so what? Is he really going to be able to make sure that promise stands beyond the grave? Third, and to me, this really does equate to an insane request, he really ought to know all about the guy he's giving it to, which he does not.

As for any of this preventing Josh from being beheaded, we all know that that is not true. He could shout at wesen 24/7 that he doesn't have the key. Is that really going to save him? I highly doubt it.

(12-14-2021, 02:51 PM)N_grimm Wrote: This is equipment that primarily has value for a Grimm. It has no value to read instructions on how to kill a creature you can not see. The Grimm books are accumulated knowledge over centuries. Because the child of a Grimm does not necessarily become a Grimm, they need to find other Grimms to continue the tradition. In Grimm, it was established that you need to be a sort of creature to do certain things. Only a Grimm could open the sealed box that contained the stick, using his blood, just like only a Hexenbiest could open the hexenbiest books, using her blood. This is not about inheritance law, but about making sure that Grimms can continue to protect the world.

Just what tradition would that be now? Where do Grimms go to find that tradition because the last time I watched Grimm, it was Nick making it up as he went along. Aside from that, there's something you're overlooking. Why did Marie give the trailer and its contents AND the key to Nick? If she was following a kind of tradition, all of that should have gone to Kelly. Kelly was a Grimm, and was next in line. The things you mention above, having to be a sort of creature to do certain things and open the sealed box that contained the stick with her blood, she had and could do. She also had years of experience over Nick, who was basically an infant in comparison. Yet Marie gave it all to Nick. The truth is, there is no tradition, but there is the law. Josh had more right to those things than Nick just like Kelly had more right to the trailer and the key more than Nick. That would be according to law.

Marie brought the trailer to Nick because somehow she "knew" that he had become a grimm. Originally, this played into the idea that when a grimm dies someone else comes into the powers.

Rolek told Nick that if what he had brought to give him went to Josh it would be destroyed. Josh didn't express any disagreement with that. But being the boy scout he was, if Josh had shown up in season 5 fully grimmed and wanting his dad's stuff back, my guess is Nick would have given it to him.

RE: Keys - irukandji - 12-15-2021

Even if  the series went on with the idea that once a Grimm is dying, the door opens to another person becoming a Grimm, there's nothing that indicates one Grimm's possessions go to the "newly Grimmed", so to speak. Nick really had no idea what being a Grimm involved, which is another reason I think it's just made up as the newly Grimmed goes on. It would be logical for Marie to give the trailer and key back to Kelly, with the stipulation that she go to Nick and become his teacher. 

What I find interesting about the whole Josh episode is that no one explained to Josh how the items would be of use to him, should he become a Grimm. I know he didn't show an interest in them, but being a descendant of a Grimm, there was always the possibility that he might become one. Curiously, no one said a word to him about what the key represented. 

This brings up a question in my mind. The series never really stated for certain who had the remaining keys, so there is the possibility that there is another Grimm or two out there who may have keys. I know Nick cheated by jimmying his way into the treasure. But playing by the rules, it's supposed to take seven keys to open the thing. If Grimm A has 5 keys, Grimm B has 1 key and Grimm C has 1 key. Do all three Grimms make the journey to get the treasure? Who actually gets to possess it? 

This sounds like a story problem, but when I think of this, giving 7 knights a key to the treasure seems to be an exercise in idiocy. Again, ignoring the stupidity of Nick jimmying into it, if it takes seven men to open it, the question arises. Who gets the treasure? It's not as though this is a chest of coins to be divided up amongst them. It's a stick. Or, is this really a test of who's the strongest? In other words, one Grimm kills the others and comes out a winner? You have to wonder how all of the bones for all of the Grimms got neatly piled up in one place.