Grimm Forum
Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve (/Thread-Adalind-vs-Juliette-Eve)

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - Hell Rell - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 10:41 AM)Chris Wrote: The writers have said that Kelly is Nick's. The narrative on the show is that Kelly is Nick's child. Adalind knows Nick is his father, Nick knows he is Kelly's father. Whether or not you believe them is certainly up to you. One thing is for sure people are forever believing what they wish to believe because it fits their internal narrative better.

I think this hits the nail on the head. Believing Adalind wasn't scared of Juliette or that Kelly isn't Nick's has no basis in the show. It's just wishful thinking. Adalind was clearly scared shitless of Juliette because she knew she was more powerful than herself and kicked her ass the last time they met when Juliette was just getting used to her powers. And that's without the hindrance of knowing she was pregnant which put her at an even larger disadvantage. I don't see how the odds of Nick being the father of Kelly is low when it's the most likely option in the show considering we saw what Adalind did in season 3 and 4 and it had nothing to do with sleeping around because she was too busy running away and trying to recover Diana.

All of these personal anecdotes have nothing to do with Adalind. It doesn't matter at all.

(03-18-2017, 09:46 AM)irukandji Wrote: But the question on my mind during all of this is Adalind herself. She was no shrinking violet when she was pregnant with Diana and she was totally human during part of her pregnancy. There is no doubt in my mind that there were just as many people walking about who'd have loved to have seen her dead as during her second pregnancy. So once she decided to keep Diana, she was in no worse of a predicament than she was when she went to Nick. I understood the plan was to hook up with Viktor and have the baby declared his, but that wouldn't be the only plan Adalind would rely on. She would have had other options in order.

Also, I am a firm believer that Adalind's "oh I'm so fearful of great big bad Juliette" was more acting ability that real fear. She knew well ahead of time that Juliette was out and on the streets. So what would most people do if they were really that scared? They'd get the hell out of dodge, that would be my first guess.

But no, she dawdles around. Why? Because maybe she isn't as afraid as she pretends to be? I know no one here believes for one second that Adalind wouldn't switch to hexenbiest most to become just as fierce as Juliette if she felt her child's life was in danger.

Contrary to what many may believe, pregnancy does not turn a woman into a weakling by any means.

Adalind was terrified because she can't match Juliette in power. Becoming as fierce as Juliette wouldn't help. It would just get her killed. Adalind was determined to knock Juliette unconscious in their first fight but she was overmatched. She knew that Juliette would only get more powerful from that moment on.

Pregnancy absolutely would handicap Adalind in this fight. She wasn't pregnant with someone who could defend her from the womb this time around. Gaining strength wouldn't even help her. A strength increase means nothing if she has a decrease in mobility.

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - FaceInTheCrowd - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 09:46 AM)irukandji Wrote: But the question on my mind during all of this is Adalind herself. She was no shrinking violet when she was pregnant with Diana and she was totally human during part of her pregnancy. There is no doubt in my mind that there were just as many people walking about who'd have loved to have seen her dead as during her second pregnancy. So once she decided to keep Diana, she was in no worse of a predicament than she was when she went to Nick. I understood the plan was to hook up with Viktor and have the baby declared his, but that wouldn't be the only plan Adalind would rely on. She would have had other options in order.

Adalind was very decisive when it came to negotiating with others, but nobody she came up against was actually trying to kill her because they all wanted the royal baby. And once Diana was born, she was dependent on Meisner, Kelly and then Sean and the scoobies for protection.

When Adalind was carrying Kelly, she was being stalked by a killer hexenbiest who had already demonstrated that she outpowered her. And once she had failed to pin fatherhood on Viktor, none of the royals would have lifted a finger to defend her. Her next option was Sean, but Sean passed the hot potato to Nick. So who would have been left to try if Nick had just said, "I don't care if it's mine because it's in you" and walked away?

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - irukandji - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 09:55 AM)izzy Wrote:
(03-18-2017, 09:09 AM)irukandji Wrote: I am still suspicious that this is even Nick's baby to begin with. The timing is just way too off for me. But going with the flow, I'll ask. What would be the benefit to Adalind to declare to Nick that it's his baby?

Obviously I agree with you. I would say, in reality, the odds are low this is Nick's baby.

But to answer your question, for one, a Grimm baby. Adalind is mercenary, that might increase the market value for her child.

One the other hand here are a few facts about Portland:

Estimated median household income in 2015: $60,892
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $34,345
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $348,300

These two threads are interesting. They paint a picture of Portland as a city where their is little job opportunity and a lot of economic opportunity issues for younger people(aka Adalind's group):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/portland/2452030-so-you-want-move-portland-lol-18.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/portland/2496456-anyone-else-who-has-moved-portland.html

The odds are anyone she is knocking booties with has a cash flow problem. Adalind was unemployed. Nick has a decent paying job and health care. In my city he would be a prime target. It does not sound like Portland is any better and may be worse.

My few female friends in Portland tell me the dating scene is abysmal. Guys ride bikes, they don't have cars, so you meet them somewhere and the guys assume you are a feminist so you are always going to be buying your own dinner. Which works out because the guys tend not to have any money or decent prospects and couldn't afford dinner fro two anyways.

So in summary, the odds are Nick (of all people) might be considered a real catch in Portland after all.

It's an interesting thought to say the least. Adalind has become the shrinking violet mousy woman because she knows it's more attractive to Nick and she can keep living at the fome. But why give up the six figure job? It's not a posh abode she's living in, but a warehouse. Thoughts?

(03-18-2017, 10:04 AM)rpmaluki Wrote: She didn't care for Diana during the pregnancy, she cared plenty with Kelly's.

She already lost one baby, she wasn't prepared to lose another one, even to death.

With Juliette out, she knew she had no protection and was alone so she went to Nick to use him as a buffer between herself and Juliette. She had no intention to tell Nick until she felt pushed to do so. In Austria, she had Kelly, Meisner and Sean's inside man (I forgot his name) helping her escape it's not like she was by herself once she decided to keep Diana. She may not be a shrieking violet but being able to take care of herself never translated to being able to protect herself and her baby at the same time. She did the only thing she felt she had to do, whether she could've kept Juliette at bay without the royals protecting her is highly doubtful. Sean already sicced Juliette on her by giving away her address and we knew for a fact that Juliette was the more powerful hexenbiest with a vengeful streak and absolutely nothing to lose at that stage (or so she thought). Adalind had no chance of survival without appealing to someone that couldn’t turn her away even if they wanted to. Nick was her best bet.

You act like Nick could have easily defeated Juliette. He couldn't. All he could do was try to reason with Juliette. No doubt this was the very thing Adalind was hoping for. If izzy's theory is correct, it puts Adalind right within Nick's vision. She's the helpless, hopeless little woman who only wants Nick to know he's the father of her child. It worked exactly as planned.

But I suspect if that didn't work, Adalind would have woged and would have been fighting Juliette tooth and nail. Everyone believes Juliette would win simply because she beat Adalind in a fight earlier in the season. But Juliette had a distinct advantage. She was fighting on her home turf. Adalind's a pregnant hexenbiest at the police station who's determined to protect her child. She may have very easily beaten Juliette.

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - izzy - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 07:07 PM)irukandji Wrote: It's an interesting to say the least. Adalind has become the shrinking violet mousy woman because she knows it's more attractive to Nick and she can keep living at the fome. But why give up the six figure job? It's not a posh abode she's living in, but a warehouse. Thoughts?

Point one:

My offspring had a full-time, home schooling stay-at-home mother until college (fyi, it was an academic and values proposition and not religiously motivated). The point I am trying to make, there is a certain allure, in regard to motherhood, to some woman that makes them desire taking the road less traveled in terms of child rearing. My feminist female has a master's degree, but for her being a stay-at-home mother was the choice she wanted to make.

Point two:

The average pay for an Attorney / Lawyer is $80,656 per year nationwide and purportedly $90,160 in Portland (2017 figure). According to Sperlings Portland has a cost of living index of 140.1. So doing a little math, the $90,160 salary for a Portland lawyer equates $54,096 elsewhere. I am not sure if childcare is relevant in Adalind's case (I would hope so),lunches out, eating more prepared foods at home, transportation, clothing etc, and I think that $54,096, verses being at home with your children making wholesome, nutritious food may change the outlook on the 54K relative salary.

Point three:

I think given my observation of women married to a badge, given the stress that the profession induces on the relationship, it seems to me creating a more stable home life for the children may not be such a bad idea.

Just a couple of off the cuff thoughts.

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - FaceInTheCrowd - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 07:07 PM)irukandji Wrote: She was fighting on her home turf. Adalind's a pregnant hexenbiest at the police station who's determined to protect her child. She may have very easily beaten Juliette.

Wouldn't have come to that. What Nick managed to prevent was Juliette going into full woge and attacking Adalind, which would probably have resulted in someone gunning Juliette down and a whole lot of questions from everyone there about what they just saw happen.

Right now, figuring out how to socialize Diana is Adalind's biggest challenge after the current threat. It wasn't an issue the first time she went back to work, but it is now. Then there's finding out whether Harrison Berman really made her a legitimate job offer that is still open to her or was just getting her and Kelly where Bonaparte could get to them. Once those are squared away, going back to work again would be no different for her than it would for any other woman with children.

(03-18-2017, 09:07 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote:
(03-18-2017, 07:07 PM)irukandji Wrote: She was fighting on her home turf. Adalind's a pregnant hexenbiest at the police station who's determined to protect her child. She may have very easily beaten Juliette.

Wouldn't have come to that. What Nick managed to prevent was Juliette going into full woge and attacking Adalind, which would probably have resulted in someone gunning Juliette down and a whole lot of questions from everyone there about what they just saw happen.

I actually never thought of police gunning Juliette down, but this once again goes toward izzy's theory that Adalind had a plan in place. Good point.

(03-18-2017, 07:46 PM)izzy Wrote:
(03-18-2017, 07:07 PM)irukandji Wrote: It's an interesting to say the least. Adalind has become the shrinking violet mousy woman because she knows it's more attractive to Nick and she can keep living at the fome. But why give up the six figure job? It's not a posh abode she's living in, but a warehouse. Thoughts?

Point one:

My offspring had a full-time, home schooling stay-at-home mother until college (fyi, it was an academic and values proposition and not religiously motivated). The point I am trying to make, there is a certain allure, in regard to motherhood, to some woman that makes them desire taking the road less traveled in terms of child rearing. My feminist female has a master's degree, but for her being a stay-at-home mother was the choice she wanted to make.

Point two:

The average pay for an Attorney / Lawyer is $80,656 per year nationwide and purportedly $90,160 in Portland (2017 figure). According to Sperlings Portland has a cost of living index of 140.1. So doing a little math, the $90,160 salary for a Portland lawyer equates $54,096 elsewhere. I am not sure if childcare is relevant in Adalind's case (I would hope so),lunches out, eating more prepared foods at home, transportation, clothing etc, and I think that $54,096, verses being at home with your children making wholesome, nutritious food may change the outlook on the 54K relative salary.

Point three:

I think given my observation of women married to a badge, given the stress that the profession induces on the relationship, it seems to me creating a more stable home life for the children may not be such a bad idea.

Just a couple of off the cuff thoughts.

The last point regarding the creation of a stable home life for the children; thinking about this from Adalind's perspective, she's looking for a good prospective for her child. As a result, she settles on Nick, even though odds are likely he isn't the father. But, he is a cop and his profession involves a lot of stress, including the real possibility that he might not come home one night.

Wouldn't being a single mother and a working lawyer be the better alternative for Adalind?

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - syscrash - 03-18-2017

Quote:Wouldn't have come to that. What Nick managed to prevent was Juliette going into full woge and attacking Adalind, which would probably have resulted in someone gunning Juliette down and a whole lot of questions from everyone there about what they just saw happen.
Juliette would have never physically attacked Adalind in the station. If anything she would have used the restaurant trick. Leaving everyone wondering what happened and Adalind dropped to the floor.

Second Nick and Hank pulled their guns on her and we saw how that went. So we know they could not have gunned her down. I keep reading comments on about the threat in the police station. People with comments on how Nick prevent Juliette from hurting Adalind. The thing about all the comments. The post seem to forget Juliette is a hexenbiest. She has been shown she does not even need to be near someone to kill them. So exactly how would Nick have stopped her if she had really wanted to kill Adalind. Even with all the cops standing there and watching who would they prove Juliette did it. The restaurant was full yet no evidence that Eve was involved.

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - Hell Rell - 03-18-2017

I think we would have to consider Juliette's mindset at the time. She attacked Adalind on the street by attempting to drop a gargoyle on her head. The meeting at the police station was different because she made her presence known and she was pissed off further by Kenneth telling her Adalind was pregnant with Nick's child which she just confirmed by seeing her there. Would Juliette be satisfied by playing the restaurant trick or would she have gone for a more direct attack given how personal this was to her?

The cops wouldn't be able to prove Juliette did anything if she just used telekinesis. But, I have to think they would react in some way if the woman Juliette just threatened appeared to be suffering and Nick was standing in between them telling her to stop or attempting to restrain her himself. They wouldn't gun her down but they would be suspicious of Juliette and wonder how this happened.

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - MarylikesGrimm - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 07:07 PM)irukandji Wrote: You act like Nick could have easily defeated Juliette. He couldn't. All he could do was try to reason with Juliette. No doubt this was the very thing Adalind was hoping for. If izzy's theory is correct, it puts Adalind right within Nick's vision. She's the helpless, hopeless little woman who only wants Nick to know he's the father of her child. It worked exactly as planned.

But I suspect if that didn't work, Adalind would have woged and would have been fighting Juliette tooth and nail. Everyone believes Juliette would win simply because she beat Adalind in a fight earlier in the season. But Juliette had a distinct advantage. She was fighting on her home turf. Adalind's a pregnant hexenbiest at the police station who's determined to protect her child. She may have very easily beaten Juliette.

IMO the only way for Adalind to win against Juliette in a fight was for baby Kelly to die since babies are relatively easy to kill. Since Izzy believes Adalind lies to herself and is evil this might make sense. The traditional hexenbiest would want baby Kelly to die at station so that Nick would and gang would be totally against Juliette. Juliette would be forced to leave Adalind alone. Why should evil Adalind care at all about baby Kelly since whatever he is he has no value to 99.99% hexenbiests. IMO that would be only reason why Adalind would to say Nick was the dad when he was not so Juliette would look like she killed baby Kelly instead Adalind killed Kelly by fighting her.

(03-18-2017, 09:11 PM)irukandji Wrote: The last point regarding the creation of a stable home life for the children; thinking about this from Adalind's perspective, she's looking for a good prospective for her child. As a result, she settles on Nick, even though odds are likely he isn't the father. But, he is a cop and his profession involves a lot of stress, including the real possibility that he might not come home one night.

Nick could take DNA in one minute from a baby and have someone at the station give the results quickly for free. DNA testing is so common crime shows only report surprising results since it is standard practice by the police and family law and most of the civilian population. If baby Kelly died at the police stations it is not likely to have any DNA testing done since Adalind will make decisions about the dead baby.

(03-18-2017, 10:22 PM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote: IMO the only way for Adalind to win was for baby Kelly to die since babies are easy to kill. Since Izzy believes Adalind lies to herself and is evil this might make sense. The traditional hexenbiest would wanted baby Kelly to die at station so that Nick would and gang would be totally against Juliette. Juliette would be forced to leave Adalind alone. Why should evil Adalind care at all about baby Kelly since whatever he is he has no value to 99.99% hexenbiests. IMO that would be only reason why Adalind would to say Nick was the dad when he was not so Juliette would look like she killed baby Kelly instead Adalind killed Kelly by fighting her.

IMO, I think hexenbiests are a lot tougher than their female counterparts. They are for one thing, again in my opinion, fighters by nature. Because of that, there's no doubt in my mind that pregnancy would not stop a hexenbiest from fighting. If it did, Adalind wouldn't have set a toe in the police station.

Adalind is not stupid. She has to know Nick cannot protect her from Juliette. She also has to know that she might just have to fight Juliette.

There is another troubling side to Adalind. Before she gave birth to Diana, she was willing to abort Diana unless she got a hexenbiest back. I'm not saying she was going to deliberately abort Kelly, but it is something she might use to her leverage if she thought it might get Nick on her side.

I believe Juliette came to physically kick the crap out of Adalind. If it came down to physically fighting Juliette, Adalind may just use the logic that if the baby dies in the process, that's the way the dice falls.