Grimm Forum
If Juliette was slumming with Nick why isn't Adalind? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: If Juliette was slumming with Nick why isn't Adalind? (/Thread-If-Juliette-was-slumming-with-Nick-why-isn-t-Adalind)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

If Juliette was slumming with Nick why isn't Adalind? - jsgrimm45 - 01-28-2016

This is only a question. Some posts have said Juliette was slumming with Nick (I never saw it just me I guess). Someone posted the income for both a detective and a vet in Portland the detective made more than the vet. Now Nick is with Adalind and in the first episode Nick said she made low 6 figures more that Juliette or Nick so why isn't she slumming now? With that income she doesn't need Nick, so does the forum think she is slumming with Nick? I would like to debate the different views in play here.

How or why do we see Adalind and Juliette different if we do?

RE: If Juliette was slumming with Nick why isn't Adalind? - eric - 01-28-2016

I don't see either Juliette or Adeline as slumming. I have known a lot of couples who came from different social classes, if one was in it for slumming purposes, the relationship did not last long. Once the thrill was gone, so was the up town partner. I do not remember any long term slumming lasting for 3 to 5 years(Juliette). I see Juliette in a loving relationship with Nick, Adeline being with Nick more for protection of herself and Kelly than for a slumming sexual experience. Some see Juliette and Adeline as sexually promiscuous but I see Juliette as becoming mentally unhinged after the hex potion took affect, and Adeline, in the last 5 years, has slept with only 4 men-Hank, Sean, Eric and Nick. All were for business or to get her child back. Not necessarily commendable, but I wouldn't call it slumming or morally depraved.

RE: If Juliette was slumming with Nick why isn't Adalind? - New Guy - 01-28-2016

Hello Forum,
Here we go again with the debates about slumming and income. I will allow you to to deal with the income topic on your own. The reference I used is the Jobs Rated Almanac
http://www.careercast.com/jobs-rated/jobs-rated-report-2015-ranking-top-200-jobs
The almanac is an oft quoted publication. For example, this Forbes article
http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2015/04/14/the-best-jobs-for-2015/#474e994c1a60
None of the Grimm characters have provided income tax returns or net worth figures. You will need to establish income and net worth proceed with the "slumming" debate.
In addition, you need to determine what "slumming" means. There are several online dictionaries. For example http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Slumming+it gives this:
To visit impoverished areas or squalid locales, especially out of curiosity or for amusement. and
To visit or frequent a place, esp. an amusement spot, considered low in social status.
IMO an example of "slumming" would be when Hexenette went to the bar and taunted a male customer. She ended up spending the night in jail. That was an amusing visit for Dr. Silverton.
Note the inclusion of "visit" in the definition. I agree with Eric that:
Quote:I do not remember any long term slumming lasting for 3 to 5 years(Juliette).
New Guy

RE: If Juliette was slumming with Nick why isn't Adalind? - corneliusduke - 02-03-2016

I think he and Adalind should be a couple, maybe she should just be human.

RE: If Juliette was slumming with Nick why isn't Adalind? - Isa - 02-03-2016

Hm.. I don't see both doing that, bit I gotta say this term is kinda new to me.
Gladly Izzy explained it better Tongue haha~

I don't think Juliette or Adalind ever did that.
Juliette never showed any hints of any slumming.

Adalind made it clear that she hates depending on somebody else so I don't think she'd do that either.

RE: If Juliette was slumming with Nick why isn't Adalind? - crossbar - 02-04-2016

I don't see Adalind as slumming it for several reasons. Could she make more money than Nick as a lawyer? Absolutely! But, Nick is a Grimm. He is the only person out there that can really protect her and their son. And right now, she doesn't have her powers, so she needs him more than ever. Hell, when she DID have her powers, it didn't help her much. She still lost Diana. Number two, she doesn't have her powers right now and the more time she spends as human the more I think she's embracing her humanity and is finding that she likes it a hell of a lot more.

Also, I don't think that Adalind wants to take Nick's son away from him. So, another reason why I don't think she's slumming it. And, lets face it, Adalind has fallen in love with Nick. That became obvious when she was talking to Trubel while she was working on her motorcycle.

RE: If Juliette was slumming with Nick why isn't Adalind? - izzy - 02-04-2016

(01-28-2016, 09:20 AM)New Guy Wrote: Hello Forum,
Here we go again with the debates about slumming and income. I will allow you to to deal with the income topic on your own. The reference I used is the Jobs Rated Almanac
http://www.careercast.com/jobs-rated/jobs-rated-report-2015-ranking-top-200-jobs
The almanac is an oft quoted publication. For example, this Forbes article
http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2015/04/14/the-best-jobs-for-2015/#474e994c1a60
None of the Grimm characters have provided income tax returns or net worth figures. You will need to establish income and net worth proceed with the "slumming" debate.
In addition, you need to determine what "slumming" means. There are several online dictionaries. For example http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Slumming+it gives this:
To visit impoverished areas or squalid locales, especially out of curiosity or for amusement. and
To visit or frequent a place, esp. an amusement spot, considered low in social status.
IMO an example of "slumming" would be when Hexenette went to the bar and taunted a male customer. She ended up spending the night in jail. That was an amusing visit for Dr. Silverton.
Note the inclusion of "visit" in the definition. I agree with Eric that:
Quote:I do not remember any long term slumming lasting for 3 to 5 years(Juliette).
New Guy

New Guy, in the context of Nick and Juliette, slumming means she went out intending to have casual sexual encounter with a person of a distinctly lower social class (i.e. cop vs doctor) You can define what creates that distinction in the eyes of the slummer be it:
- eduction
- income
- family
- friends
- peer group

but it is a real thing. It doesn't mean the woman cannot fall in love with the guy, just that the impetus of the initial contact was slumming.

I have a lot of experience with this. My parents valued education. My father was a janitor and a ditch digger. He worked multiple jobs in order to pay for my private schooling. Most of the girls I dated before I was 25 were slumming, bringing me home to meet mom and dad for shock value or to create a buzz among their friends. I am still, decades later, friends with several of them. Over the years the eventually felt compelled to tell me why they went out with me initially, as if I did not know. After a bit they saw there was more to a guy than a new car, fashionable clothes and family connections. And more than one lost her heart; but that doesn't mean the differences due to background went away.

In closing, people's hearts get in front of their brain (just ask my woman).

RE: If Juliette was slumming with Nick why isn't Adalind? - Saranghaeyo Oppa - 02-04-2016

(02-04-2016, 01:29 PM)crossbar Wrote: I don't see Adalind as slumming it for several reasons. Could she make more money than Nick as a lawyer? Absolutely! But, Nick is a Grimm. He is the only person out there that can really protect her and their son. And right now, she doesn't have her powers, so she needs him more than ever. Hell, when she DID have her powers, it didn't help her much. She still lost Diana. Number two, she doesn't have her powers right now and the more time she spends as human the more I think she's embracing her humanity and is finding that she likes it a hell of a lot more.

Also, I don't think that Adalind wants to take Nick's son away from him. So, another reason why I don't think she's slumming it. And, lets face it, Adalind has fallen in love with Nick. That became obvious when she was talking to Trubel while she was working on her motorcycle.
So very true on Adalind falling for Nick. He is a true gentleman and a better man than Sean Renard ever was. Sean used her up until she was of no use . Sean has never fallen I love before and he is enjoy the bachelor's life. When she first came to him about the baby, she knew that he would protect the baby and her because he was a really good guy and she told him she wanted a hero for her baby. That line she said and made him feel the baby kick was also a nice touch. That baby kick W right on time to help mommy along. Lol lol lol

RE: If Juliette was slumming with Nick why isn't Adalind? - izzy - 02-05-2016

(02-04-2016, 09:23 PM)Saranghaeyo Oppa Wrote: So very true on Adalind falling for Nick. He is a true gentleman and a better man than Sean Renard ever was. Sean used her up until she was of no use . Sean has never fallen I love before and he is enjoy the bachelor's life. When she first came to him about the baby, she knew that he would protect the baby and her because he was a really good guy and she told him she wanted a hero for her baby. That line she said and made him feel the baby kick was also a nice touch. That baby kick W right on time to help mommy along. Lol lol lol

Gang,

One of the things I have rally enjoyed about this forum (yes, it has been this forum more than the actual show) is the interaction between the men and women. When you read the posts often you can see the difference between the sexes viewpoints emerge. I have learned much from the female members of this forum. I thank all of them for that. And I have learned more about the diversity of male opinions too.
All that being said, I want to slice and dice this post, but not in regard to the poster, but generically, so please don’t construe it as a personal attack.

Quote: Sean used her up until she was of no use

Yes but isn’t that what men do with sluts? Adalind clearly is a slut. What do you expect Sean, who is supposed to be a from a form of royalty to do – respect her? She has no respect for herself. She repeatedly either gave herself to men, manipulated men with her sexuality, or was used by men (and gosh knows what she has done with women or even animals given her willingness to do anything to get her powers back). Using is what a man does with a whore. I don’t really get what you think Sean was supposed to do, fall in love with a hose bag? Adalind is the type of girl you pick up and blank her in the blank, blank her in the blank, and blank her in the blank, not the type you take home to mother. She is the type you share with your friends, not the type you put a ring on her finger.

Quote:Sean has never fallen I love before and he is enjoy the bachelor's life.

Well we don’t know that he has never been in love. But what is wrong with enjoying the bachelor life? These days it seems like a preferable alternative. Women are clearly much easier this decade than in decades past. Why would a man marry now at all? It seems to me, Sean is smart. And once again if you are going to put a ring on a girl’s finger most men try to make sure she isn’t the town whore

Quote: That line she said and made him feel the baby kick was also a nice touch.

Where I come from, we call that being played.

Quote: When she first came to him about the baby, she knew that he would protect the baby and her because he was a really good guy

That is one interpretation. Other people might say Nick is a chump, a fool, and an idiot. He did not even demand a paternity test; he just accepted the word of the community chest. Where I come from we would call him a fool.

RE: If Juliette was slumming with Nick why isn't Adalind? - Saranghaeyo Oppa - 02-05-2016

(02-05-2016, 04:25 PM)izzy Wrote:
(02-04-2016, 09:23 PM)Saranghaeyo Oppa Wrote: So very true on Adalind falling for Nick. He is a true gentleman and a better man than Sean Renard ever was. Sean used her up until she was of no use . Sean has never fallen I love before and he is enjoy the bachelor's life. When she first came to him about the baby, she knew that he would protect the baby and her because he was a really good guy and she told him she wanted a hero for her baby. That line she said and made him feel the baby kick was also a nice touch. That baby kick W right on time to help mommy along. Lol lol lol

Gang,

One of the things I have rally enjoyed about this forum (yes, it has been this forum more than the actual show) is the interaction between the men and women. When you read the posts often you can see the difference between the sexes viewpoints emerge. I have learned much from the female members of this forum. I thank all of them for that. And I have learned more about the diversity of male opinions too.
All that being said, I want to slice and dice this post, but not in regard to the poster, but generically, so please don’t construe it as a personal attack.

Quote: Sean used her up until she was of no use

Yes but isn’t that what men do with sluts? Adalind clearly is a slut. What do you expect Sean, who is supposed to be a from a form of royalty to do – respect her? She has no respect for herself. She repeatedly either gave herself to men, manipulated men with her sexuality, or was used by men (and gosh knows what she has done with women or even animals given her willingness to do anything to get her powers back). Using is what a man does with a whore. I don’t really get what you think Sean was supposed to do, fall in love with a hose bag? Adalind is the type of girl you pick up and blank her in the blank, blank her in the blank, and blank her in the blank, not the type you take home to mother. She is the type you share with your friends, not the type you put a ring on her finger.

Quote:Sean has never fallen I love before and he is enjoy the bachelor's life.

Well we don’t know that he has never been in love. But what is wrong with enjoying the bachelor life? These days it seems like a preferable alternative. Women are clearly much easier this decade than in decades past. Why would a man marry now at all? It seems to me, Sean is smart. And once again if you are going to put a ring on a girl’s finger most men try to make sure she isn’t the town whore

Quote: That line she said and made him feel the baby kick was also a nice touch.

Where I come from, we call that being played.

Quote: When she first came to him about the baby, she knew that he would protect the baby and her because he was a really good guy

That is one interpretation. Other people might say Nick is a chump, a fool, and an idiot. He did not even demand a paternity test; he just accepted the word of the community chest. Where I come from we would call him a fool.
WOW WOW..... You sure did sliced and diced my post . Pouting....SadSad.... KIDDING Big GrinBig Grin...You have a right to your own opinion and it was well said. Nothing wrong with being a bachelor and Adalind did sleep around. But I am sucker for when a character has flaws. I look at her flaws and I kinda feel bad for her because she was looking for love or protection in all the wrong places. That is how I look at it.