Grimm Forum
Winter 2015 - 2016 Rewatch: Organ Grinder - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Rewatches (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Rewatches)
+----- Forum: Winter 2015 Rewatch (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Winter-2015-Rewatch)
+----- Thread: Winter 2015 - 2016 Rewatch: Organ Grinder (/Thread-Winter-2015-2016-Rewatch-Organ-Grinder)

Winter 2015 - 2016 Rewatch: Organ Grinder - wfmyers1207 - 12-18-2015

Well, this is the chosen episode. S1E10, "Organ Grinder". Let the games begin!!Big Grin

RE: Winter 2015 - 2016 Rewatch: Organ Grinder - jsgrimm45 - 12-18-2015

I'm in and will start the debate.

This episode covers several areas one of the big ones is on point of @irukandji thread of Social Commentary the plight of homeless children. This also was were we as humans should worry about wesen as the gallbladder product Freddie say never stay on the shelf long. So wesen was were buying it and didn't care how it was gotten.

I don't think Geiers will be on the good side of this uprising thing in fact I think the will be all in favor of it. So maybe this super bad wesen in season 1 is now likely part of season 5.

We also seen Hank get a look at something leading to the Grimm world his first look so to speak. I think this was the point where Hank started to question why was he and Nick getting these cases. At this point I don't think Hank had any real ideas just starting the downhill slide.

We could also note (I could be wrong) this was the first time Nick used the threat of Grimm to get answers. I wouldn't say this as I see Grimm as a fantasy only but other might say this is the episode where Nick started becoming more Grimm less police officer, and I could see that point.

I'll have more later as I think about this some more thanks for the thread, should make for a good debate.

RE: Winter 2015 - 2016 Rewatch: Organ Grinder - wfmyers1207 - 12-18-2015

It was because of this episode and E8 "Game Ogre" that I once thought the character of Juliette was a fairly good one and might end up being of help to Nick.

Nick tells Monroe he wants to tell J the truth, but Monroe warns him not to. Yet, clearly Nick is giving the idea serious consideration. Juliette helped him get some important info from H and G at the diner. This is one of the few episodes where I felt there was real chemistry between N and J. And in E8 she showed some real guts against the ogre. But, for whatever reason, that Juliette sort of morphed into the whiny Juliette. Sad

@JS. I also think this was the first episode that Nick got in someone's face and went all Grimm on their ass! Cool And also that this was when Hank began to feel that something more than your every day criminal activity is going on.

Back when I saw this episode the first time and they were at the trailer, when Renard was so quick on the draw, I wondered if he was trying to make sure that the guy didn't talk. Renard seemed to be in on a lot of wesen criminal activities. Was he in on this one as well? Dodgy

Then there is the final scene where Renard gets an ear in a package and then a phone call from the werrat warning him to: "Get control of the Grimm or get rid of him!"

On the lighter side: Monroe telling Nick the effect human testicles have on wesen while they are eating a plate of testicle shaped beans! (At least, that's what I hope they were eating!) Big Grin

On the speculative side: What direction do you guys think the show would have gone if they continued down the 'Renard as a wesen crime lord' story line? And he tried to get rid of Nick rather than get control of Nick, or at least, get his allegiance? Dodgy

RE: Winter 2015 - 2016 Rewatch: Organ Grinder - New Guy - 12-18-2015

Hi WF,
You asked
Quote:On the speculative side: What direction do you guys think the show would have gone if they continued down the 'Renard as a wesen crime lord' story line? And he tried to get rid of Nick rather than get control of Nick, or at least, get his allegiance?

IMO, Renard did continue as a Wesen crime lord. He is loyal only to himself and will use anyone to gain personal advantage. So yes Renard would sacrifice Nick or even his own Mother if he thought it would advance his (unknown) agenda.
New Guy

RE: Winter 2015 - 2016 Rewatch: Organ Grinder - speakeasy - 12-18-2015

That was a really good episode. Nick looked so young and callow, he was adorable. I thought there were several scenes where his compassion surfaced and he was far less cynical then, no surprise, he was just getting started. And that whole darn scene of the dinner conversation between Monroe and Nick was absolutely priceless. Monroe had some great lines; but then so did Nick.

Juliette was younger looking and had a little more weight on her then and I think it suited her. Seems I saw an awful lot of love in Nick's eyes when he looked at her, and she was obviously devoted to him. What tragedy awaited both characters, through no fault of their own; just the fates (and the whims of the writers). Made me sad, and at the same time, it was very pleasing to revisit happier days.

The story was very good, too. Those Geiers were really bad through and through. And I agree with jsgrimm45 that they would probably be among the first to enlist in the wesen uprising, because Nick read in one of his journals that they loved participating in wars because so many organs were available for harvesting, yech. Enjoyed all the references to Hansel and Gretel, too. I'm casting Dr. Levine in the role of the wicked witch; pretty obvious, and having her fall into the burning pit at the end was a great way of substituting how the witch ended up in the oven in the Grimm fairy tale.

The Captain was looking real good back then; he still does, imo. Smile One poster who shared my admiration of Renard some time ago, said it was the suits, and ya know, I think she was on to something! Anyway, still a supporter and a true believer in him being one of the good guys. So I won't venture a conjecture about him pursuing the crime lord path, but I understand my opinion is the minority one at this time. Do want to mention Hank was pretty funny when he mentioned how weird Portland was getting. Evidently Wu hadn't started picking up the clues that there were some mighty strange goings-on with the criminal element in his city yet! Probably because he wasn't working the cases side by side with Nick.

Thanks for the idea, wfmyers1207, it's fun.

RE: Winter 2015 - 2016 Rewatch: Organ Grinder - jsgrimm45 - 12-19-2015

Up to this time I don't know if the writers had decided which way to play Renard as crooked police Captain. or good guy. Either way he had to save Nick so he took the shot we may never know if he was in on the organ deal of not.

Also this episode put Nick and Monroe relationship on a different path as friend dinner an all. This episode IMO was the setup for all of Grimm, Nick has now accepted he is a Grimm and it has it uses, Monroe as his partner in Grimm world Hank as his partner in police world. He is now walking be both. He also knows that somehow he has to tell Juliette.

RE: Winter 2015 - 2016 Rewatch: Organ Grinder - wfmyers1207 - 12-19-2015

@New Guy. I have to disagree with that slightly. We still see Renard as a crime lord in "Last Grimm Standing" 2 episodes later, but by the end of S1 things seemed to have changed. When Renard confronts Catherine in S2E1 he tells her how much effort he has put into keeping Nick close to him. I don't think he would have dared to do that unless he stopped, or at least curtailed, his criminal activities.

After the events of "Cat and Mouse" and "Leave it to Beavers", he knew what a valuable asset he had in Nick and had decided that cultivating Nick was more important than what he had been doing. Granted this would have been for his own agenda. Dodgy

@speakeasy. You're right about the imagery in this episode. This early in the series the writer's were, in their way, staying pretty close to the original Brothers Grimm stories. BTW, you're welcome. Smile

One idea that came to me was that if Renard decided to go after Nick rather than gain him as an ally would he have ended up going back to the Royals? Dodgy If Nick had found out what Renard was up to, and had then gone after him, Renard might have had to get out of the country and flee to Vienna. It was just a thought.

@JS. I agree completely and want to add a little more. This is also the episode where the show began to add more than a bit to the original WOW format. From this point on we begin to see the deeper, and in ways more frightening, aspects of the wesen world. Yes, we had seen a little bit about the werrat, but not much else. From here the writers began to introduce more wesen organized crime, the Resistance, the Royals, the Coins, etc..