Grimm Forum
Grimm writers should learn from Damon Lindelof - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Grimm writers should learn from Damon Lindelof (/Thread-Grimm-writers-should-learn-from-Damon-Lindelof)

Grimm writers should learn from Damon Lindelof - Hexenadler - 12-04-2015

http://www.avclub.com/article/damon-lindelof-admits-he-fucked-star-trek-darkness-229128

Quote:Even less surprising than the big reveal midway through the running time of 2013’s Star Trek Into Darkness was the collective groan from fans who had figured it out years earlier, when Benicio del Toro was still part of the cast. The annoyance with Benedict Cumberbatch meticulously enunciating the words “My name is Khan” wasn’t because this was among the simpler cinematic twists to untwist, but that the filmmakers had insisted that the obvious was not the case. This is called “jerking the fans around,” and it does not often result in audience goodwill.

In a genuine shock twist, however, Damon Lindelof—who co-wrote the STID screenplay with Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman—just copped to the fact that they kind of messed that one up.

“When we did Star Trek Into Darkness for example, we decided that we weren’t going to tell people that Benedict Cumberbatch was playing Khan,” Lindelof explained in a recent interview with Variety. “And that was a mistake, because the audience was like, ‘We know he’s playing Khan.’ That was why it was a mistake. But J.J. [Abrams] is telling us nothing about the new Star Wars movie and we love it. I’ve not come across a single person who’s like, ‘I wish I knew a little bit more.’ We are like, ‘Thank God he’s protecting us from all the things that will be revealed in the movie theater.’”

False equivalency? Kind of. Abrams not giving away key plot points is not the same thing as shouting down people who have intuited that Luke Skywalker is the dude with the metal hand in the Force Awakens trailer, even though that that’s clearly who it is. But whatever. It’s nice to see some accountability.

I think the writing staff behind GRIMM are trying to do something similar with Juliette, regardless of how much they try to deny it. I just wish they would stop screwing around with us over multiple episodes and answer some of our questions already.

RE: Grimm writers should learn from Damon Lindelof - jsgrimm45 - 12-04-2015

(12-04-2015, 10:33 AM)Hexenadler Wrote: http://www.avclub.com/article/damon-lindelof-admits-he-fucked-star-trek-darkness-229128

Quote:Even less surprising than the big reveal midway through the running time of 2013’s Star Trek Into Darkness was the collective groan from fans who had figured it out years earlier, when Benicio del Toro was still part of the cast. The annoyance with Benedict Cumberbatch meticulously enunciating the words “My name is Khan” wasn’t because this was among the simpler cinematic twists to untwist, but that the filmmakers had insisted that the obvious was not the case. This is called “jerking the fans around,” and it does not often result in audience goodwill.

In a genuine shock twist, however, Damon Lindelof—who co-wrote the STID screenplay with Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman—just copped to the fact that they kind of messed that one up.

“When we did Star Trek Into Darkness for example, we decided that we weren’t going to tell people that Benedict Cumberbatch was playing Khan,” Lindelof explained in a recent interview with Variety. “And that was a mistake, because the audience was like, ‘We know he’s playing Khan.’ That was why it was a mistake. But J.J. [Abrams] is telling us nothing about the new Star Wars movie and we love it. I’ve not come across a single person who’s like, ‘I wish I knew a little bit more.’ We are like, ‘Thank God he’s protecting us from all the things that will be revealed in the movie theater.’”

False equivalency? Kind of. Abrams not giving away key plot points is not the same thing as shouting down people who have intuited that Luke Skywalker is the dude with the metal hand in the Force Awakens trailer, even though that that’s clearly who it is. But whatever. It’s nice to see some accountability.

I think the writing staff behind GRIMM are trying to do something similar with Juliette, regardless of how much they try to deny it. I just wish they would stop screwing around with us over multiple episodes and answer some of our questions already.
I totally agree after 4 episodes we still don't know a thing almost about anything. That is Chavez, Meisner, Diana, Juliette, Kelly head, even the King body or what is happening with the manson thing. How come no one has reported Juliette missing little things like that would help. I like the Adalind Kelly story but I want some other things answered.

RE: Grimm writers should learn from Damon Lindelof - crossbar - 12-04-2015

(12-04-2015, 11:26 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote:
(12-04-2015, 10:33 AM)Hexenadler Wrote: http://www.avclub.com/article/damon-lindelof-admits-he-fucked-star-trek-darkness-229128

I totally agree after 4 episodes we still don't know a thing almost about anything. That is Chavez, Meisner, Diana, Juliette, Kelly head, even the King body or what is happening with the manson thing. How come no one has reported Juliette missing little things like that would help. I like the Adalind Kelly story but I want some other things answered.

Well, the Mansion thing was explained in the season finale of season 4. They were in a different county, so it was out of their jurisdiction. Someone else's problem to clean up.

But, I agree with you. We're a bunch of episodes into the new season and absolutely NOTHING about season four has been answered.

RE: Grimm writers should learn from Damon Lindelof - Lou - 12-04-2015

Judging by past performance. some things will get drawn out for an absurd length of time. (Hank learning, Wu Learning, Juliette waking up....
some things will be revealed only after the writers find themselves written into a corner ( Its the Grimm's eyes)
and some things will never get cleared up (keys, coins, )

There was a grimm fan who lived in portland and her dad or someone she knew had that shop where they killed the volcano monster. She got to be on set and over heard some cast and crew talking - and they had no idea where the show was going. so maybe thats why it feels that way. Smile