Grimm Forum
Opinions on DOMA Being Overturned and Dismissing Prop 8 Case - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Community (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Community)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-The-Lounge)
+--- Thread: Opinions on DOMA Being Overturned and Dismissing Prop 8 Case (/Thread-Opinions-on-DOMA-Being-Overturned-and-Dismissing-Prop-8-Case)

Pages: 1 2

Opinions on DOMA Being Overturned and Dismissing Prop 8 Case - HellJacket - 06-26-2013

I'm curious what Grimm Forum's ideological breakdown is, so I feel this is a good place to start. So, how many people agree, disagree, or don't care about today's Supreme Court ruling that strikes down DOMA and dismisses the challenge to Proposition 8.

SCOTUS Blog's Quick Concise Explanation of the DOMA Ruling for the Legal Illiterate

SCOTUS Blog's Quick Concise Explanation of the Proposition 8 Ruling for the Legal Illiterate

RE: Opinions on DOMA Being Overturned and Dismissing Prop 8 Case - Lou - 06-26-2013

Some people might think that this kind of news doesn't belong on the Grimm site. But this is important stuff. First it became legal in America for blacks and whites to marry. Now it is not unconstitutional for people of the same sex to marry. This just paves the way so that eventually mixed weson marriages will be accepted. We may some day see Fauchsbau marry Blutbads or Grimms and Steinadlers. Although marriages between Löwen and Mauzhertz should still be entered in with caution. Wink

RE: Opinions on DOMA Being Overturned and Dismissing Prop 8 Case - HellJacket - 06-26-2013

(06-26-2013, 11:09 AM)Lou Wrote: Some people might think that this kind of news doesn't belong on the Grimm site. But this is important stuff. First it became legal in America for blacks and whites to marry. Now it is not unconstitutional for people of the same sex to marry. This just paves the way so that eventually mixed weson marriages will be accepted. We may some day see Fauchsbau marry Blutbads or Grimms and Steinadlers. Although marriages between Löwen and Mauzhertz should still be entered in with caution. Wink

I'm just quoting this because it's a great reply.

RE: Opinions on DOMA Being Overturned and Dismissing Prop 8 Case - speakeasy - 06-26-2013

(06-26-2013, 10:06 AM)HellJacket Wrote: I'm curious what Grimm Forum's ideological breakdown is, so I feel this is a good place to start. So, how many people agree, disagree, or don't care about today's Supreme Court ruling that strikes down DOMA and dismisses the challenge to Proposition 8.

SCOTUS Blog's Quick Concise Explanation of the DOMA Ruling for the Legal Illiterate

SCOTUS Blog's Quick Concise Explanation of the Proposition 8 Ruling for the Legal Illiterate

I'm generally in favor of all supreme court decisions which tend to uphold individual rights and especially minority group rights; most laws of the land are written to guarantee minority rights and they need this legal protection or the majority would withhold them. Human nature. But some laws are written to restrict individual and minority rights and DOMA was one of them. So, good on the SC for declaring it unconstitutional and for dismissing the challenge to Proposition 8.

And if I were a wesen and having a debate with another wesen who disagreed with me on the subject, I'd reduce myself to insulting his parentage. I'd tell 'em his mudder is a Siegbarste who wears a flea collar and his fadder is a scurvy little Maughertz.

RE: Opinions on DOMA Being Overturned and Dismissing Prop 8 Case - Gretel Hanselsister - 06-26-2013

(06-26-2013, 01:20 PM)speakeasy Wrote: And if I were a wesen and having a debate with another wesen who disagreed with me on the subject, I'd reduce myself to insulting his parentage. I'd tell 'em his mudder is a Siegbarste who wears a flea collar and his fadder is a scurvy little Maughertz.

Nice Smile
Just try to think of a female Siegbarst - OK, just changed my mind, please don't Confused
I did some googling to find out what this is about and voted with "agree" though I'm not american. In Germany people of the same sex can get into a "inscribed partnership", something very close to a marriage. Why not. Everyone should have the right to marry the partner which makes him/her happy. Love is no sin. And I'm catholic Big Grin .

RE: Opinions on DOMA Being Overturned and Dismissing Prop 8 Case - the-epic-prince - 06-26-2013

I, for one, don't support same-sex marriage. I still view marriage as a union between man and woman. Now please don't misunderstand me, I DO NOT hate or fear or dislike people in same-sex relationships. I don't care if they are gay or not. If a friend of mine came to and said, "I'm gay." I wouldn't treat him or her any differently.

RE: Opinions on DOMA Being Overturned and Dismissing Prop 8 Case - HellJacket - 06-26-2013

(06-26-2013, 02:42 PM)the-epic-prince Wrote: I, for one, don't support same-sex marriage.
See, I think you as well as 99.999% of the Internet have totally misconstrued the meaning of today's ruling. Today (in regard to SCOTUS's opinion overturning DOMA at least) is a day that will live in infamy in regard to discrimination. It is the day where American society furthered the discrimination of single people by the married masses (whether they be breeders or non-breeders, heterosexual or homosexual or bisexual).

Before today, single people were only being discriminated at the behest of heterosexual couples and their tax incentives, social status and government subsidies (e.g. public schools). Before today, single people could lean on their friends in same-sex partnerships knowing that they endured the same discrimination that single people endure with each waking moment. But after today and through the extension of federal benefits to same-sex married couples, single people are now left all alone to be discriminated against.

When will the single masses rise up to overturn the tyrannical oppression by the married folk? I long for that glorious day.

/not married

RE: Opinions on DOMA Being Overturned and Dismissing Prop 8 Case - speakeasy - 06-26-2013

(06-26-2013, 01:47 PM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote:
(06-26-2013, 01:20 PM)speakeasy Wrote: And if I were a wesen and having a debate with another wesen who disagreed with me on the subject, I'd reduce myself to insulting his parentage. I'd tell 'em his mudder is a Siegbarste who wears a flea collar and his fadder is a scurvy little Maughertz.

Nice Smile
Just try to think of a female Siegbarst - OK, just changed my mind, please don't Confused
I did some googling to find out what this is about and voted with "agree" though I'm not american. In Germany people of the same sex can get into a "inscribed partnership", something very close to a marriage. Why not. Everyone should have the right to marry the partner which makes him/her happy. Love is no sin. And I'm catholic Big Grin .

I am also a Catholic, but am a non-practicing one. The good thing about this decision is that in those states that recognize same-sex marriage, certain legal rights of marriage are conveyed - such as health insurance coverage, spousal health decisions, property settlements, and all other legal benefits of marriage, and these are now protected under federal law.

Don't try to envision a lady Siegbarst, it'll give you bad dreams!

RE: Opinions on DOMA Being Overturned and Dismissing Prop 8 Case - the-epic-prince - 06-26-2013

(06-26-2013, 03:07 PM)HellJacket Wrote:
(06-26-2013, 02:42 PM)the-epic-prince Wrote: I, for one, don't support same-sex marriage.
See, I think you as well as 99.999% of the Internet have totally misconstrued the meaning of today's ruling. Today (in regard to SCOTUS's opinion overturning DOMA at least) is a day that will live in infamy in regard to discrimination.

I am aware that this ruling doesn't legalize same-sex through-out America. I was more stating my personal opinion on the issue.

RE: Opinions on DOMA Being Overturned and Dismissing Prop 8 Case - Gretel Hanselsister - 06-27-2013

(06-26-2013, 03:07 PM)HellJacket Wrote: Before today, single people were only being discriminated at the behest of heterosexual couples and their tax incentives, social status and government subsidies (e.g. public schools). Before today, single people could lean on their friends in same-sex partnerships knowing that they endured the same discrimination that single people endure with each waking moment. But after today and through the extension of federal benefits to same-sex married couples, single people are now left all alone to be discriminated against.

Let me ask you: you are discriminated? How?
Discrimination - nearly everyone is discriminated in some way, that's my opinion.
People with children - because they are noisy. Just try to find an affordable flat with a big family and you see what I mean.
Elderly people - they are expensive for health insurances and a burden for their families
Women - in most families they still do all the housekeeping for dirty work is women's work. And many husbands feel uncomfortable when their wives earn more money than they do. If they admit it or not: most of them still want to be the head of the family.
People with handicaps or who don't meet current beauty ideals - it's hard to find a job if you drive a wheelchair , if you are fat, if you are cross-eyed...
muslims - all of them are terrorists (I'm ironic, of course)
colored people - yes, they are. Ask them.

Ask yourself if you would accept a fat, muslimic, black, female boss. Wearing her head cloth, of course. When you honestly wouldn't have a problem to respect her, congratulations, you don't discriminate.

Running a family is expensive. Every people needs children because they are the future, so governments sponsor the "breeders", that's pretty normal and nothing to complain about, am I wrong? It's not about discriminating singles, even singles get old and need a still productive country, operated by yesterday's children of the families. The singles benefit from other peoples children, too.
I don't see the use of tax benefits for married couples without children, though. Regardless if they are of different or the same sex. In my opinion children need sponsoring, if they grow up in families oder only with one parent or anywhere.

HellJacket, I've never seen a single man being discriminated just because he's single. I'm really curious (perhaps I'm naive, too, but still able to learn Blush) Please enlighten me.