Grimm Forum
Mixed wesen children, hmmm... - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Mixed wesen children, hmmm... (/Thread-Mixed-wesen-children-hmmm)

Pages: 1 2

Mixed wesen children, hmmm... - Belle - 11-27-2015

After all the episodes depicting hate groups and even the backlash from Monroe and Rosalee's own families pertaining to their mixed-wesen relationship, I am left wondering what kind of kids they would have.
Obviously, half wesen and half human kids are wesen in cases like the Naiads and Folterseeles, but I can't remember an episode that showed what happens when two different types of wesen have kids.
On some of the Grimm wiki's they refer to different types of wesen as different species; however, different species generally can't cross-breed or produce only infertile offspring.
If instead of being like separate species, wesen are like different breeds of the same species, then you would expect their kids to be a mix of the parents' traits.
At the same time, if one wesen gene was dominant over another, you'd expect all their kids would look like one parent.

So I guess the real question is what kind of kids will Rosalee and Monroe have?
-Blutbad?
-Fuchsbau?
-Blutbad & Fuchsbau mix?
(which I'm guessing would be kind of like a fox and wolf hybrid)

Of course, I am also curious to see what kind of traits Nick and Adalind's son will have, but in Kelley's case I'm pretty sure he's going to be a Grimm or else he would already be moving stuff with his mind like his sister Diana.

RE: Mixed wesen children, hmmm... - jsgrimm45 - 11-27-2015

(11-27-2015, 12:13 PM)Belle Wrote: After all the episodes depicting hate groups and even the backlash from Monroe and Rosalee's own families pertaining to their mixed-wesen relationship, I am left wondering what kind of kids they would have.
Obviously, half wesen and half human kids are wesen in cases like the Naiads and Folterseeles, but I can't remember an episode that showed what happens when two different types of wesen have kids.
On some of the Grimm wiki's they refer to different types of wesen as different species; however, different species generally can't cross-breed or produce only infertile offspring.
If instead of being like separate species, wesen are like different breeds of the same species, then you would expect their kids to be a mix of the parents' traits.
At the same time, if one wesen gene was dominant over another, you'd expect all their kids would look like one parent.

-Blutbad?
-Fuchsbau?
-Blutbad & Fuchsbau mix?

Of course, I am also curious to see what kind of traits Nick and Adalind's son will have, but in Kelley's case I'm pretty sure he's going to be a Grimm or else he would already be moving stuff with his mind like his sister Diana.
Hank and Nick ask that question of Monroe and Rosalee and to be honest I didn't understand the answer. Monroe said if a non wesen married a wesen the child would have a 50 chance of being wesen.

That he said (this is how I took it) if a wesen married a human but who had one wesen parent than the child would be wesen.

He did say but I couldn't remember what he called a child with Rosalee.

After that I was out of the loop.Rolleyes

RE: Mixed wesen children, hmmm... - Belle - 11-27-2015

(11-27-2015, 01:27 PM)jsgrimm45 Wrote:
(11-27-2015, 12:13 PM)Belle Wrote: After all the episodes depicting hate groups and even the backlash from Monroe and Rosalee's own families pertaining to their mixed-wesen relationship, I am left wondering what kind of kids they would have.

-Blutbad?
-Fuchsbau?
-Blutbad & Fuchsbau mix?

Hank and Nick ask that question of Monroe and Rosalee and to be honest I didn't understand the answer. Monroe said if a non wesen married a wesen the child would have a 50 chance of being wesen.

That he said (this is how I took it) if a wesen married a human but who had one wesen parent than the child would be wesen.

Do you remember what episode that was in?
I'd really like to rewatch it to see what he says.

Reflecting on this I became even more curious because the wesen don't just seem to represent different species of animals; they represent different genera, families, orders, classes, phyla, and even kingdoms.

In a sense Rosalee and Monroe would probably have better chance of having a kid than some wesen couples because their wesen halves are both canids. This, however, makes me wonder about other more distant mixes.
Nick and Adalind's baby doesn't raise a lot of questions for me either because Nick is a grimm, which is almost like being a regular person and hexenbeasts also seem like regular humans who just happen to be possessed by spirits, which would make their genetics/reproduction basically the same as anyone else.

In other cases it doesn't seem nearly so simple...
The show has included wesen that are like insects, amphibians, reptiles, mammals, as well as those like the hexenbeasts that appear to have nothing to do with animals at all.

I have read some discussions of wesen "genetics", but they are not always consistent or logical and none really answer all the questions that can come up.
For example, what happens if a mammal like wesen tries to have kids with one that resembles an insect? or a fish?

RE: Mixed wesen children, hmmm... - jsgrimm45 - 11-27-2015

(11-27-2015, 02:52 PM)Belle Wrote:

-Blutbad?
-Fuchsbau?
-Blutbad & Fuchsbau mix?

Reflecting on this I became even more curious because the wesen don't just seem to represent different species of animals; they represent different genera, families, orders, classes, phyla, and even kingdoms.

In a sense Rosalee and Monroe would probably have better chance of having a kid than some wesen couples because their wesen halves are both canids. This, however, makes me wonder about other more distant mixes.
Nick and Adalind's baby doesn't raise a lot of questions for me either because Nick is a grimm, which is almost like being a regular person and hexenbeasts also seem like regular humans who just happen to be possessed by spirits, which would make their genetics/reproduction basically the same as anyone else.

The show has included wesen that are like insects, amphibians, reptiles, mammals, as well as those like the hexenbeasts that appear to have nothing to do with animals at all.

I have read some discussions of wesen "genetics", but they are not always consistent or logical and none really answer all the questions that can come up.
For example, what happens if a mammal like wesen tries to have kids with one that resembles an insect? or a fish?
I think it is S3E6. Not for sure.

RE: Mixed wesen children, hmmm... - Belle - 11-27-2015

(11-27-2015, 04:59 PM)jsgrimm45 Wrote:

-Blutbad?
-Fuchsbau?
-Blutbad & Fuchsbau mix?

Thank you! Thank you!.
That was the episode and you were right; Monroe doesn't really answer the question in a way that reveals anything.
He and Rosalee are kind of snickering about having the wesen version of the "birds and bees" talk with Nick and Hank, but when it comes to answering the question about what kind of baby he and Rosalee would have, Monroe uses some non-English term (possibly German) forheirscha sp? to describe the child of two different kinds of wesen. Although he adds that as long as their child was healthy he'd be alright with that, Monroe never explains what the child would be like or why it might be considered a problem by some wesen....

I guess that means we still don't know what kind of wesen baby Rosalee and Monroe will have, but I hope we get to find out because now I'm more curious than ever.

Watching that episode was also an interesting trip down memory lane. I'd forgotten how disturbing that particular story line was. It was actually one of the darker episodes in the entire series. I think I might have actually blocked it out because the plot was really upsetting.

RE: Mixed wesen children, hmmm... - izzy - 11-27-2015

(11-27-2015, 06:46 PM)Belle Wrote: I guess that means we still don't know what kind of wesen baby Rosalee and Monroe will have, but I hope we get to find out because now I'm more curious than ever.

Of course people who are not selfish might think, gee why would I deliberately mate with someone when that deliberate and non-accidental act will lead to the procreation of a child with likely genetically induced challenges.

If Roselle and Monroe have strong reason to suspect a natural child of theirs would have some likely issues as a result of their mating, I would say it would be irresponsible and selfish to reproduce. They should opt for adoption. Maybe Kelly would be a likely candidate or more likely those lost children.

For example there is this proud community organizer called Trudy Suggs, who is congenitally deaf, as is her husband. She decided to knowingly have 4 children by her husband, guaranteeing that all four children would be born deaf in order to perpetuate her goal of creating a new political class of people dependent on Government to further her political philosophy. In my estimation, 100% selfish. I would like to think Rosalee and Monroe are above that type of personal pettiness. If they think their natural child may have issues, perhaps they should consider adoption; they do have a lot of love to give.

All of this posted above assumes that a deliberate mating would likely result in a child with genetically induced issues.

RE: Mixed wesen children, hmmm... - Gretel Hanselsister - 11-28-2015

(11-27-2015, 06:46 PM)Belle Wrote: He and Rosalee are kind of snickering about having the wesen version of the "birds and bees" talk with Nick and Hank, but when it comes to answering the question about what kind of baby he and Rosalee would have, Monroe uses some non-English term (possibly German) forheirscha sp? to describe the child of two different kinds of wesen.

With German, I can always help out Smile
Let me quote myself, this is what I wrote in S3E6:

1) Kehrseite (reverse, flip side) – Wesen: 50% chance the Baby will be Wesen
2) Kehrseite-Genträger (genetic carrier) – Wesen: 100% chance the Baby will be Wesen
And I think you are a Kehrseite-Genträger when you are the Baby in 1) who’s Kehrseite.
3) Wesen A – Wesen B, Grundverschiedene (entirely different) situation: it depends on the Vorherrscher (the one who dominates, prevails)

RE: Mixed wesen children, hmmm... - wfmyers1207 - 11-28-2015

(11-27-2015, 06:46 PM)Belle Wrote:
(11-27-2015, 04:59 PM)jsgrimm45 Wrote:

-Blutbad?
-Fuchsbau?
-Blutbad & Fuchsbau mix?

Thank you! Thank you!.
That was the episode and you were right; Monroe doesn't really answer the question in a way that reveals anything.
He and Rosalee are kind of snickering about having the wesen version of the "birds and bees" talk with Nick and Hank, but when it comes to answering the question about what kind of baby he and Rosalee would have, Monroe uses some non-English term (possibly German) forheirscha sp? to describe the child of two different kinds of wesen. Although he adds that as long as their child was healthy he'd be alright with that, Monroe never explains what the child would be like or why it might be considered a problem by some wesen....

I guess that means we still don't know what kind of wesen baby Rosalee and Monroe will have, but I hope we get to find out because now I'm more curious than ever.

Watching that episode was also an interesting trip down memory lane. I'd forgotten how disturbing that particular story line was. It was actually one of the darker episodes in the entire series. I think I might have actually blocked it out because the plot was really upsetting.

Way back in S2 Monroe and Rosalee mentioned that some children of mixed wesen marriages can be dangerous. I don't know if the writers decided to just drop that or not. Dodgy

If true, it would unfortunately give some credence to the Wesenrein beliefs, in that these children could be dangerous to their own kind. Huh

But, I think they did just drop it. Never been mentioned again.

RE: Mixed wesen children, hmmm... - Belle - 11-28-2015

(11-28-2015, 12:09 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote:
(11-27-2015, 06:46 PM)Belle Wrote: He and Rosalee are kind of snickering about having the wesen version of the "birds and bees" talk with Nick and Hank, but when it comes to answering the question about what kind of baby he and Rosalee would have, Monroe uses some non-English term (possibly German) forheirscha sp? to describe the child of two different kinds of wesen.

2) Kehrseite-Genträger (genetic carrier) – Wesen: 100% chance the Baby will be Wesen
And I think you are a Kehrseite-Genträger when you are the Baby in 1) who’s Kehrseite.
3) Wesen A – Wesen B, Grundverschiedene (entirely different) situation: it depends on the Vorherrscher (the one who dominates, prevails)

It is nice to have input from a German speaker, so thanks.
I'm curious, do "Grundverschiedene" or "Vorherrscher" have direct English translations?
Or are they merely terms invented for the show?

Would love to learn more if you have the time and inclination to share.

[/quote]

Way back in S2 Monroe and Rosalee mentioned that some children of mixed wesen marriages can be dangerous. I don't know if the writers decided to just drop that or not. Dodgy

If true, it would unfortunately give some credence to the Wesenrein beliefs, in that these children could be dangerous to their own kind. Huh

[/quote]

Do you know which episode in season 2 it was?
I rewatched the season 3 episode where they discussed children, but they didn't say much about the kind of children they would have together. It seemed as though they were being purposefully vague.
If it really was as simply as the one with dominant genes determining the child's wesen type, you think they'd simply state that.

I do remember the one episode in which the mother had intentionally altered her son's DNA in order to make him stronger. The end result of which was him blacking out whenever the Lowen part of him took over and decided to kill anyone who he saw as a threat.

Certainly hope Monroe and Rosalee's kids would not have to deal with anything like that.

RE: Mixed wesen children, hmmm... - wfmyers1207 - 11-28-2015

(11-28-2015, 10:17 AM)Belle Wrote:
(11-28-2015, 12:09 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote:

It is nice to have input from a German speaker, so thanks.
I'm curious, do "Grundverschiedene" or "Vorherrscher" have direct English translations?
Or are they merely terms invented for the show?

Would love to learn more if you have the time and inclination to share.

[/quote]

Do you know which episode in season 2 it was?
I rewatched the season 3 episode where they discussed children, but they didn't say much about the kind of children they would have together. It seemed as though they were being purposefully vague.
If it really was as simply as the one with dominant genes determining the child's wesen type, you think they'd simply state that.

I do remember the one episode in which the mother had intentionally altered her son's DNA in order to make him stronger. The end result of which was him blacking out whenever the Lowen part of him took over and decided to kill anyone who he saw as a threat.

Certainly hope Monroe and Rosalee's kids would not have to deal with anything like that.
[/quote]

I believe it was that episode, S2 "The Other Side". But forgive me if I'm wrong. Been a year or two since I watched it.