Grimm Forum
Lack of main character development in Grimm? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Lack of main character development in Grimm? (/Thread-Lack-of-main-character-development-in-Grimm)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Lack of main character development in Grimm? - grimmfan14 - 11-21-2015

This is kind of OT from some discussion here, but I think the pace of Adalind's character development - making her so good - makes it pretty obvious that she's going to get her powers back but ALSO that she might be the one dying this season? She's been there from the very beginning (episode 1) and it could explain a lot of what people feel is the faster pace of Nick/Adalind.

RE: Lack of main character development in Grimm? - izzy - 11-21-2015

(11-21-2015, 12:08 PM)grimmfan14 Wrote: This is kind of OT from some discussion here, but I think the pace of Adalind's character development - making her so good - makes it pretty obvious that she's going to get her powers back but ALSO that she might be the one dying this season? She's been there from the very beginning (episode 1) and it could explain a lot of what people feel is the faster pace of Nick/Adalind.

I thought about that and figured that Juliette comes back and for whatever reason Adalind has to get her Hexenbeist powers back to defend against Juliette and she either dies defending Nick and Kelly against Juliette (while taking out Juliette). Or she takes out Juliette cleanly, but the way she got her powers back means she cannot suppress them again and asks Nick to kill her.

RE: Lack of main character development in Grimm? - New Guy - 11-21-2015

(11-21-2015, 12:40 PM)izzy Wrote:
(11-21-2015, 12:08 PM)grimmfan14 Wrote: This is kind of OT from some discussion here, but I think the pace of Adalind's character development - making her so good - makes it pretty obvious that she's going to get her powers back but ALSO that she might be the one dying this season? She's been there from the very beginning (episode 1) and it could explain a lot of what people feel is the faster pace of Nick/Adalind.

I thought about that and figured that Juliette comes back and for whatever reason Adalind has to get her Hexenbeist powers back to defend against Juliette and she either dies defending Nick and Kelly against Juliette (while taking out Juliette). Or she takes out Juliette cleanly, but the way she got her powers back means she cannot suppress them again and asks Nick to kill her.
Hi Izzy,
That would be grim even for Grimm.
New Guy

RE: Lack of main character development in Grimm? - irukandji - 11-21-2015

In my opinion, these writers just can't get a girlfriend/partner/significant other what-have-you for Nick right. They have completely botched that aspect of the story from day one.

To me, the new good and kind Adalind is really boring. It's like they're trying to turn her into Juliette complete with child. Bringing a baby into the picture gives her a little more to occupy herself with than Juliette ever had. That baby is a cutie to be sure, but there's only so much baby story to carry the series.

The rest of the time I see her waiting for Nick and then complimenting him for putting up with her, taking her in, caring for her, whatever new compliment she can come up with for the week. Now she's making dinner for Nick, just like Juliette used to.

I've never liked Adalind, but her character was not likeable. She was the nemesis and fit in well with her plots to foil Nick. Now, I just don't know. I agree with what you said earlier. Her relationship with Nick is awkward and does nothing to further the series, in my opinion.

RE: Lack of main character development in Grimm? - Hexenadler - 11-21-2015

I really think the writing staff have painted themselves into a corner this time. When Juliette comes back (and she IS coming back, guys, all the wishy-washy vagueness about her character's fate that we've been given from various interviews is just a smoke screen), she's probably still going to be an antagonist.

So, who is she going to hook up with, now that Kenneth's worm meat? Renard looks pretty likely. It's getting easy to "sense" the directions that the writers are trying to push these characters, and Juliette hitting it off with Renard again seems the most probable outcome, although I've been personally praying for Renard's comeuppance at Nick's hands for a long time now.

RE: Lack of main character development in Grimm? - izzy - 11-21-2015

(11-21-2015, 01:23 PM)New Guy Wrote:
(11-21-2015, 12:40 PM)izzy Wrote:

Hi Izzy,
That would be grim even for Grimm.
New Guy

I think it might be a good way to close out the series, with Nick swearing off being an active Grimm and raising Kelly as a single dad, Truble and Monroe and Rosalee in aunt and uncle roles. It could be uplifting.

RE: Lack of main character development in Grimm? - irukandji - 11-21-2015

In last week's episode, Monroe and Rosalee were fixing up things for the baby in Nick's house. Rosalee got the I-want-a-baby look in her eye, and told Monroe, "someday". I wondered if this might be some type of foreshadowing that Adalind is going to die and Nick will give his son to them. In fact, the way things are going, I'm wondering if Grimm is preparing for a possible last season and getting ready to tie things up in case there's no renewal.

RE: Lack of main character development in Grimm? - Hexenadler - 11-21-2015

(11-21-2015, 07:54 PM)irukandji Wrote: In last week's episode, Monroe and Rosalee were fixing up things for the baby in Nick's house. Rosalee got the I-want-a-baby look in her eye, and told Monroe, "someday". I wondered if this might be some type of foreshadowing that Adalind is going to die and Nick will give his son to them. In fact, the way things are going, I'm wondering if Grimm is preparing for a possible last season and getting ready to tie things up in case there's no renewal.

I can't speak for what the writers are planning, but this is what I'd like to see:

Juliette comes back, and steals Adalind's child, with the intent to kill him. But something (maybe a run-in with her father?) revives a portion of her humanity, and she can't go through with it. Instead, she tries to go on the run, but Nick and Adalind manage to cut her off.

A final confrontation takes place. Juliette demands Adalind's life, claiming Nick has no right to interfere anymore, now that the child is out of her body. Nick, of course, can't allow Juliette to kill Kelly's mother. A fight breaks out, and this time, neither combatant is holding back. Just when Juliette seems to be getting the upper hand, Nick turns grey (i.e. powers up into an "UberGrimm") and begins to pulverize her in front of Adalind and a screaming Kelly.

By this point, Adalind's Hexenbiest self has gradually re-emerged. But having known the love of a human mother, Adalind is in despair, believing her innate dark nature prevents her from truly loving her son. She tosses Nick to one side, giving Juliette the opportunity to kill her.

RE: Lack of main character development in Grimm? - irukandji - 12-26-2015

Well, it's been a month since this thread was active. Adalind is still a wet blanket who likes to play house and Eve has appeared on the scene, supposed ruthless killer. As usual, the two are at opposite ends of the spectrum from one another because the writers just don't know what do to with them.

New Guy brought up that the fans don't want Juliette. I have to say I've been perusing other forums and they don't want Adalind either. If there ever was a lack of development, both Adalind and Eve are true examples.

Would Grimm be a better program if both of these characters were killed off?

RE: Lack of main character development in Grimm? - izzy - 01-02-2016

(12-26-2015, 10:46 AM)irukandji Wrote: Well, it's been a month since this thread was active. Adalind is still a wet blanket who likes to play house and Eve has appeared on the scene, supposed ruthless killer. As usual, the two are at opposite ends of the spectrum from one another because the writers just don't know what do to with them.

New Guy brought up that the fans don't want Juliette. I have to say I've been perusing other forums and they don't want Adalind either. If there ever was a lack of development, both Adalind and Eve are true examples.

Would Grimm be a better program if both of these characters were killed off?

I don't think it is the characters exactly. In one case I think it is the actress but in both cases I think it is the writing. Adalind has gotten more interesting to me as they allowed her to develop a personality as a housewife. It may bore you but at least it bring the character somewhat to life. I sort of like the conflict between living off of Nick and wanting to be more independent. At least that is a real thought and realistic situation as is the baby throwing up, crying etc.

Juliette never had that. She was supposed to be a vet, but how? We hardly ever saw her at work or references to it except as plot devices. Family, nope don’t know about that. She was so undeveloped that Nick did not even seem to notice she was dead, just pack up the house, give her car to your new snuggle bunny and whatever.

I think the show was much improved with the death of Juliette, bringing her back, I have no interest in. Oh I forgot she is now Juliette 2.0 or Eve 1.0. Whatever, I think it was a horrible, albeit predictable move, that in my view has doomed the series. What is next some lame “40 of D” (oops I meant “7 of 9”) bullcrap where she tried to develop emotions and relate to people again?