Grimm Forum
Who else reads Jack Reacher books - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Comics & Books (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Comics-Books)
+--- Thread: Who else reads Jack Reacher books (/Thread-Who-else-reads-Jack-Reacher-books)

Who else reads Jack Reacher books - jsgrimm45 - 10-05-2015

I just read 7 of Lee's books on Jack Reacher after the movie with Tom Cruise. After reading the books why on earth did the use Tom Cruise? Ray Stevenson would fit the part to a T. Hollywood!

RE: Who else reads Jack Reacher books - Lou - 10-05-2015

I saw the movie before I read the book. and i liked the movie. When i told some friends, it turned out they were big fans of the novels (one guy has read all 20), and they hated that Cruise was casted. the big fan actually refused to see the movie.

I think there is an IMDB forum thread on this topic.

Yes, Ray Stevenson would have been better. He has the height. but i imagine he doesn't have the box office pull that the producers needed or wanted. And not having read the books i had no issue with Tom's physical traits. But I would have cast Dwayne Johnson.

I have read about 7 books, too. They are fun reads. What I call "mind candy". They are all somewhat well crafted. My biggest complaint is that all of them seem to based on a ridiculous coincidence. Jack just happens by a bit too often. of course since he isn't a cop or a private eye, mysteries just don't walk into his office. and i like that he isn't a cop or a private eye. Anyway, after a hundred pages you tend to forget about the giant coincidence that started the story.

I also worry about the man's hygiene. He doesn't know how to do laundry. He doesn't even have a tube of toothpaste (although sometimes he carries a brush). But somehow he gets in bed with a good looking young woman (or two) in each book.

RE: Who else reads Jack Reacher books - jsgrimm45 - 10-05-2015

(10-05-2015, 10:18 AM)Lou Wrote: I saw the movie before I read the book. and i liked the movie. When i told some friends, it turned out they were big fans of the novels (one guy has read all 20), and they hated that Cruise was casted. the big fan actually refused to see the movie.

I think there is an IMDB forum thread on this topic.

Yes, Ray Stevenson would have been better. He has the height. but i imagine he doesn't have the box office pull that the producers needed or wanted. And not having read the books i had no issue with Tom's physical traits. But I would have cast Dwayne Johnson.

I have read about 7 books, too. They are fun reads. What I call "mind candy". They are all somewhat well crafted. My biggest complaint is that all of them seem to based on a ridiculous coincidence. Jack just happens by a bit too often. of course since he isn't a cop or a private eye, mysteries just don't walk into his office. and i like that he isn't a cop or a private eye. Anyway, after a hundred pages you tend to forget about the giant coincidence that started the story.

I also worry about the man's hygiene. He doesn't know how to do laundry. He doesn't even have a tube of toothpaste (although sometimes he carries a brush). But somehow he gets in bed with a good looking young woman (or two) in each book.
Lou I had the same question on how he gets to a place that has a problem, my Sister is a big fan tells me in one (one I haven't gotten to yet) that question comes up and is some what answered. I've got 7 and 8 coming if it in one of those would you want to know? I read 1-6 and the last one.

RE: Who else reads Jack Reacher books - Lou - 10-05-2015

No don't spoil the surprise. but i would be disappointed if the author claims god is directing his destinations. Ha! Predestination.

But really what else could it be. Oh, maybe its The Force.

I read the first 6 pretty much in a row and my kindle now has all kinds or nutritional mind food built up. so it will probably be a long time before read another. Right now I'm reading The Ophan Master's Son.

RE: Who else reads Jack Reacher books - jsgrimm45 - 10-23-2015

(10-05-2015, 06:54 PM)Lou Wrote: No don't spoil the surprise. but i would be disappointed if the author claims god is directing his destinations. Ha! Predestination.

I read the first 6 pretty much in a row and my kindle now has all kinds or nutritional mind food built up. so it will probably be a long time before read another. Right now I'm reading The Ophan Master's Son.
Just and FYI I just completed the book the movie is based on called One Shot. I always like to see how the movie and book compare. The only movie and book that was almost 100% the same was Fail Safe that one if you seen the movie you read the book and if you read the book you seen the movie.

RE: Who else reads Jack Reacher books - jsgrimm45 - 08-20-2016

(10-23-2015, 12:32 PM)jsgrimm45 Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 06:54 PM)Lou Wrote: No don't spoil the surprise. but i would be disappointed if the author claims god is directing his destinations. Ha! Predestination.

Just and FYI I just completed the book the movie is based on called One Shot. I always like to see how the movie and book compare. The only movie and book that was almost 100% the same was Fail Safe that one if you seen the movie you read the book and if you read the book you seen the movie.
I got to the book that kind of tells you how he ends up in trouble wherever he goes. The book is Worth Dying For there is kind of and underground police network. That if this guy shows up and you have a problem area that for some reason your dept. can't get into get him in that area. In this book a unmarked state trooper drops him off in the middle of nowhere to handle a problem they can't get done. He doesn't figure it out until the end that it was a state trooper who dropped him off. Now in the book before you find out called 61 Hours you find out his military file had be pulled many times, by FBI NSA state and local police. Just kind of covers some holes in why he is alway in the hot area that needs something done.