Grimm Forum
A Grimm's brain is it different - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: A Grimm's brain is it different (/Thread-A-Grimm-s-brain-is-it-different)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

A Grimm's brain is it different - jsgrimm45 - 08-19-2015

In other posts the idea of Nick state of mind got me thinking about a Grimm's brain. I would ask with the extra cones in his eyes than his brain would have to process those cones so would the vision areas of his brain be larger? Bring up the question how is a Grimm's brain wired? Would there be other brain changes for a Grimm given their other powers of Grimm's? We know the zombie and hearing changed was this possible only because those are special Grimm areas? I would think so.

Even after he lost his Grimm was his brain was still wired Grimm? Do these added brain connections work inside his control or outside? As Josh dad appeared to try and live a normal does this give us a clue?

Thoughts ideas?

RE: A Grimm's brain is it different - Adriano Neres Rodrigues - 08-19-2015

I think grimm has a different brain prepared to process the extra cones information. I also think grimm brain is prepared to adapt to wesen world differently from a normal human.
When Nick first saw Adelaind woge, it apparently had a small affect over him. When Trubel showed up at the show, she was used to see and kill wesen all the time even not knowing what they were. I have the impression that Nick and Trubel never questioned their own sanity even while not knowing exactly what was going on. I know that as soon as Nick started to see wesen Marie explained him what was going on. We don’t know how many time it took to Trubel get used in see and kill wesen even knowing no one would believe her. But apparently they deal better with that.
Hank and Wu reacted in different way. While Nick didn’t tell them they were not being crazy, they questioned their own sanity. They had a bad time to deal with that situation.
This way, I think grimm brain is pre-programmed to deal with wesen and to react to them. This can raise a lot of questions:
To start with two:
Grimm apparently doesn’t have conscious crises in killing wesen. Is their brain ready for that?
Was Nicks reaction to Juliette’s woge a pre-programmed response in his grimm brain?

RE: A Grimm's brain is it different - irukandji - 08-19-2015

Interesting thread. Grimm brains probably are different. But then so was Einstein's brain. Since they don't dissect every human brain, it stands to reason that there are a lot of different brains out there.

There is one thing I see in common with them all, including the Grimms. Every person has to learn the basics before they can take their brains into the unknowns. Nick would have never known about wesen unless Marie (or someone else) came along and explained it to him. But the explanation is not enough. Nick as a detective, would expect proof of her claim. She showed him this in the trailer, the diaries, the weapons, the potions, all of the chemicals to back up her proof.

Without Marie, where would Nick be? He wouldn't have figured it out on his own. We know that. We saw him before Marie came and explained it to him.

In some ways Nick's learning experience is no different than a child who, after being taught the basics, hones a talent to genius level. There's no doubt of an extraordinary brain there, but they still have to have the basics to use it. Otherwise, it remains hidden or in Nick's case, comes out and is mistaken for something else entirely.

RE: A Grimm's brain is it different - jsgrimm45 - 08-19-2015

(08-19-2015, 10:31 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: I think grimm has a different brain prepared to process the extra cones information. I also think grimm brain is prepared to adapt to wesen world differently from a normal human.
When Nick first saw Adelaind woge, it apparently had a small affect over him. When Trubel showed up at the show, she was used to see and kill wesen all the time even not knowing what they were. I have the impression that Nick and Trubel never questioned their own sanity even while not knowing exactly what was going on. I know that as soon as Nick started to see wesen Marie explained him what was going on. We don’t know how many time it took to Trubel get used in see and kill wesen even knowing no one would believe her. But apparently they deal better with that.
Hank and Wu reacted in different way. While Nick didn’t tell them they were not being crazy, they questioned their own sanity. They had a bad time to deal with that situation.
This way, I think grimm brain is pre-programmed to deal with wesen and to react to them. This can raise a lot of questions:
To start with two:
Grimm apparently doesn’t have conscious crises in killing wesen. Is their brain ready for that?
Was Nicks reaction to Juliette’s woge a pre-programmed response in his grimm brain?
The this post on pre programmed response and conscious brings up the old question of natural vs nurture which way do you see thiis questions? Is this BIOS or leaned?

(08-19-2015, 10:56 AM)irukandji Wrote: Interesting thread. Grimm brains probably are different. But then so was Einstein's brain. Since they don't dissect every human brain, it stands to reason that there are a lot of different brains out there.

There is one thing I see in common with them all, including the Grimms. Every person has to learn the basics before they can take their brains into the unknowns. Nick would have never known about wesen unless Marie (or someone else) came along and explained it to him. But the explanation is not enough. Nick as a detective, would expect proof of her claim. She showed him this in the trailer, the diaries, the weapons, the potions, all of the chemicals to back up her proof.

Without Marie, where would Nick be? He wouldn't have figured it out on his own. We know that. We saw him before Marie came and explained it to him.

In some ways Nick's learning experience is no different than a child who, after being taught the basics, hones a talent to genius level. There's no doubt of an extraordinary brain there, but they still have to have the basics to use it. Otherwise, it remains hidden or in Nick's case, comes out and is mistaken for something else entirely.
Interesting idea on a child learning could the Grimm brain have the build in skills? Just because Josh dad did use it doesn't mean he couldn't have as a I replied to Adriano on the nature vs nurture. How would you see it?

(08-19-2015, 01:44 PM)jsgrimm45 Wrote:
(08-19-2015, 10:31 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: I think grimm has a different brain prepared to process the extra cones information. I also think grimm brain is prepared to adapt to wesen world differently from a normal human.
To start with two:
The this post on pre programmed response and conscious brings up the old question of natural vs nurture which way do you see thiis questions? Is this BIOS or leaned?

I see it as part of learning and part of biological. Just to use an example from the show, you couldn't teach Hank to see wesen in the half woge. He has no biological support for it (no extra cones). But you can teach him to understand the existence of wesen and how to deal with them.
Actually, I believe the real question is: how much of grimm behaviour is learned and how much is biological?
An example: Was Nick’s reaction on Juliette woge because he learned to hate hexanbiests? Or was his brain pre-programmed to act like that?
This is my opinion.

RE: A Grimm's brain is it different - jsgrimm45 - 08-19-2015

(08-19-2015, 01:52 PM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote:
(08-19-2015, 01:44 PM)jsgrimm45 Wrote:
To start with two:

I see it as part of learning and part of biological. Just to use an example from the show, you couldn't teach Hank to see wesen in the half woge. He has no biological support for it (no extra cones). But you can teach him to understand the existence of wesen and how to deal with them.
Actually, I believe the real question is: how much of grimm behaviour is learned and how much is biological?
An example: Was Nick’s reaction on Juliette woge because he learned to hate hexanbiests? Or was his brain pre-programmed to act like that?
This is my opinion.
I think his reaction was pre-programmed, I look to Trubel she wasn't taught anything but she managed to take on all comers. Your point on Hank is good him and Wu learned about wesen. Trubel may be the best way to look at Grimm's what do you think? Trubel as a baseline and Josh dad on the other side of the coin thoughts?

(08-19-2015, 02:10 PM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: I think his reaction was pre-programmed, I look to Trubel she wasn't taught anything but she managed to take on all comers. Your point on Hank is good him and Wu learned about wesen. Trubel may be the best way to look at Grimm's what do you think?

That is exactly my point. Trubel learned a lot from Nick and from the diaries about being a grimm and about wesen. Certainly this learning process was responsible for part of Trubel grimm brain, since when we learn new things our brains creates new connections to adapt to those new informations.
But prior to know Nick, she managed to deal with wesen and to survive to them, physically and physiologic. This was not learned since Trubel had no one before to teach her. So her reactions before she knew Nick were a biological response from her brain.
Comparing to Hank and Wu, they learned about wesen and deal relatively ok with that, but only when they have someone to teach them. Their basic reaction before someone to teach about wesen were very different.

RE: A Grimm's brain is it different - eric - 08-20-2015

When Nick first started to see Wessen--Adeline, the perp in squad room, the first reaper--he knows something is really wrong, and begins to doubt his grip on reality. He had probably dealt with people claiming they are seeing monsters, and treated them as coo coo big time. It took Marie and the trailer to convince him otherwise. Truble's situation was slightly different. Whenever someone woged, they said "A GRIMM, before they tried to kill me. It doesn't mean anything". She acted in self-defense. That is one reason she wanted to know right away how they ID'ed her. Without someone to guide them, a new Grimm either lives alone in the woods or goes to jail after killing "monsters", like Hank's case in To Protect and Serve Man.

RE: A Grimm's brain is it different - jsgrimm45 - 08-20-2015

(08-19-2015, 02:43 PM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote:
(08-19-2015, 02:10 PM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: I think his reaction was pre-programmed, I look to Trubel she wasn't taught anything but she managed to take on all comers. Your point on Hank is good him and Wu learned about wesen. Trubel may be the best way to look at Grimm's what do you think?

That is exactly my point. Trubel learned a lot from Nick and from the diaries about being a grimm and about wesen. Certainly this learning process was responsible for part of Trubel grimm brain, since when we learn new things our brains creates new connections to adapt to those new informations.
But prior to know Nick, she managed to deal with wesen and to survive to them, physically and physiologic. This was not learned since Trubel had no one before to teach her. So her reactions before she knew Nick were a biological response from her brain.
Comparing to Hank and Wu, they learned about wesen and deal relatively ok with that, but only when they have someone to teach them. Their basic reaction before someone to teach about wesen were very different.
Does this point mean anything Trubel used a blade to kill wesen the books talks about removing the heads, is this a learned response or a base response? I see the books giving Trubel as you said learning thus adding to these brain connections to deal with wesen, but Nick had to show her that killing all wesen wasn't needed so did she have to unlearn somethings? Could the knowledge now delay a response putting her in danger being on her own or would the base Grimm always react first and the new knowledge second?

Nick never had to unlearn anything his life up to becoming a Grimm was basic, Trubel's wasn't.

Hank having the a longer time knowing about wesen knows by the way Nick and the wesen react that its wesen, but I see Wu adjusting better and faster.

Like you point on physiologic also being part of a Grimm's different brain mapping. Taking that was that part of Josh dad brain not as well developed? Not a question on the thread but how did the verrat get on to Josh dad? As his dad wasn't acting as a Grimm so how did he show up on the royals radar? Was his mother the leak? I see Grimm's a tight lipped could be back to the brain but family members not so much. Juliette couldn't keep quite about knowing her friend was wesen another reason Grimm's should stay way from human mates. Just my opinion.

RE: A Grimm's brain is it different - Adriano Neres Rodrigues - 08-20-2015

(08-20-2015, 06:22 AM)eric Wrote: When Nick first started to see Wessen--Adeline, the perp in squad room, the first reaper--he knows something is really wrong, and begins to doubt his grip on reality. He had probably dealt with people claiming they are seeing monsters, and treated them as coo coo big time. It took Marie and the trailer to convince him otherwise. Truble's situation was slightly different. Whenever someone woged, they said "A GRIMM, before they tried to kill me. It doesn't mean anything". She acted in self-defense. That is one reason she wanted to know right away how they ID'ed her. Without someone to guide them, a new Grimm either lives alone in the woods or goes to jail after killing "monsters", like Hank's case in To Protect and Serve Man.

I see your point. Just to explain mine, Hank for exemple got paranoic at his home after he started seeing monsters. Nick even questioning what was happening didn't close himself inside the house. The same for Trubel.
My point is that instinctively grimm has a better reaction when they start see monsters even not knowing what is going on. Normal humans like Wu and Hank overreact to the phenomenon.
Consciously grimm needs someone to teaches them as evebody else. Unconsciously grimm apparently are well prepared to deal with unknown things.