Grimm Forum
Embracing the Hexenbiest-Is such a Thing possible? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Embracing the Hexenbiest-Is such a Thing possible? (/Thread-Embracing-the-Hexenbiest-Is-such-a-Thing-possible)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Embracing the Hexenbiest-Is such a Thing possible? - irukandji - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 08:36 AM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: I'm with irukandji on this one. Ever since the episode aired I figured what happened at the house was a planned ambush. No way Truble just happens to be there packing that double crossbow!Dodgy

Nick knew what had to be done. He was also afraid he couldn't bring himself to do it, she was the love of his life after all. So, he asked Truble to back him up and she did.

Wow.....cool! Thanks!

RE: Embracing the Hexenbiest-Is such a Thing possible? - irukandji - 12-08-2015

Since the term embracing the hexenbiest has popped up on some other threads, I thought I would resurrect this thread.

I'm assuming Adalind embraced her hexenbiest, and the same thing would go for Henrietta and Elizabeth. So how would Juliette be any different from them?

RE: Embracing the Hexenbiest-Is such a Thing possible? - Hexenadler - 12-09-2015

Let's keep in mind Juliette wasn't born to Hexenhood. It's probable that her inexperience simply allowed her vengeful impulses to override her common sense. A Hexenbiest's nature would have been completely alien to Juliette, who up until her transformation, had been a kind and often loving woman. As a result, she was overwhelmed. Compare Juliette to Hexenbiests like Elizabeth and Henrietta, who seemed to have a much easier time functioning as day-to-day citizens.

RE: Embracing the Hexenbiest-Is such a Thing possible? - jsgrimm45 - 12-09-2015

(12-08-2015, 08:39 PM)irukandji Wrote: Since the term embracing the hexenbiest has popped up on some other threads, I thought I would resurrect this thread.

I'm assuming Adalind embraced her hexenbiest, and the same thing would go for Henrietta and Elizabeth. So how would Juliette be any different from them?
Good that you did bring this back. I would want to clearly define "embracing" in its context here. Adalind mother, Adalind, Henrietta, Elizabeth and Juliette are the 5 hexens we've seen. So what is embracing 4 of the five were born that way and had a life time of living that. Juliette was made did the four embrace the hexen or were just hexens?

Did you not (this was why was glad you put this back in play) when Juliette was killing bugs in jail (nothing wrong with that you or I might have used are shoe) she smiled, as if the was fun I don't smile if I kill a fly. Juliette came to like the power she as I see it was the only hexen to embrace it the others were just hexen. I see a difference in the way she was using the power as a kid with a new toy.

Did you happen to see the movie War Lover with Steve McQueen it is movie showing a person who loves war, not as a person who just has a job to do and does it. I see that as embracing.

RE: Embracing the Hexenbiest-Is such a Thing possible? - wfmyers1207 - 12-09-2015

@hexenadler and jsgrimm45. Like you, I think the problem with Juliette was that she wasn't born to it. The sudden experience of power was like a teetotaler going on a month long binge. She just couldn't handle the change.

True story. I once knew a very devout Christian couple. Then they lost their son to illness, they lost all faith, and went completely off the deep end into debauchery. Destroyed their marriage and their lives and careers were completely ruined. It was so sad to see happen. Sad

IMO that is very like what happened to Juliette. It was not so much that she embraced the darkness, but that the darkness overwhelmed her. Huh

RE: Embracing the Hexenbiest-Is such a Thing possible? - New Guy - 12-09-2015

(12-09-2015, 11:14 AM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: @hexenadler and jsgrimm45. Like you, I think the problem with Juliette was that she wasn't born to it. The sudden experience of power was like a teetotaler going on a month long binge. She just couldn't handle the change.

True story. I once knew a very devout Christian couple. Then they lost their son to illness, they lost all faith, and went completely off the deep end into debauchery. Destroyed their marriage and their lives and careers were completely ruined. It was so sad to see happen. Sad

IMO that is very like what happened to Juliette. It was not so much that she embraced the darkness, but that the darkness overwhelmed her. Huh
Hi WF,
The story you tell is very sad. My uncle died in my grandmothers arms of strep throat at age 13. We have friends at church who have lost a child. They are very devout and are active in Compassionate Friends. You may find the web page of interest:
http://www.compassionatefriends.org/about_us/Compassionate-Friends/our_mission.aspx
Best wishes for Blessed Christmas,
New Guy

RE: Embracing the Hexenbiest-Is such a Thing possible? - irukandji - 12-09-2015

(12-09-2015, 07:44 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: Good that you did bring this back. I would want to clearly define "embracing" in its context here. Adalind mother, Adalind, Henrietta, Elizabeth and Juliette are the 5 hexens we've seen. So what is embracing 4 of the five were born that way and had a life time of living that. Juliette was made did the four embrace the hexen or were just hexens?

My first thought here is the word, 'embrace'. I don't think it fits the situation. In my opinion, embracing someone or something implies a choice. We know for a fact that there is no choice involved. The hexenbiest spirit is part of the human when they're born or in Juliette's case can be passed on through some peculiarity that no one knows how to explain. I think that the five women (and Sean) would be considered more hybrids than actually having an ability to embrace (or remove) this spirit.

The one thing Grimm has never really shown us is when a woman actually becomes a hexenbiest. Grimms don't become Grimms until their late teens (in the case of Trubel) or at a more advanced age, like Nick.

Is that the case with hexenbiests? Are there potential hexenbiests walking around seeing Grimms and weirding out just like Nick did when he saw his first hexenbiest and wesen? Just for the sake of this discussion, I'm not including Diana. Much, if not all of her power was created through spells and potions before her birth. We don't know what she would have been like if Adalind had simply left her alone. Adalind might regret that, by the way.

But speaking of Adalind, just from the way she talks about what little Kelly might or might not be, it sounds like a crapshoot. He might be a zauerbiest, a Grimm, a combination of both, or nothing at all. Sean became a zauerbiest with a hexenbiest mother and human father. So it seems that hexenbiests might not begin life as a fully functional and all knowledgeable either. They might be a lot like Grimms, and have to learn.

Henrietta told Nick that he needed to stay out of Juliette's way, and (paraphrashing here), let her get used to her hexenbiest. Henrietta would never have known that, had she not experienced it for herself.

So, js, I think the answer to your question is that these women (Catherine, Elizabeth and Henrietta) weren't automatic calm, gracious and stylish hexenbiests from infancy. If you look at Adalind, she's not. She's often irrational and she is also younger than them. I would bet that an even younger Adalind would have acted very similarly to the hexenbiest Juliette we see.

I try to figure out what made Juliette the hexenbiest tick and have blabbered out all kinds of thoughts. Something that just occurred to me is that maybe what we saw was not a manifestation of her anger, or a deliberate decision to accept the hexenbiest within her, but maybe immaturity, much like a teenager. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying she's not dangerous. She is. I think that's why Henrietta told Nick to stay out of her way.

(12-09-2015, 07:44 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: Did you not (this was why was glad you put this back in play) when Juliette was killing bugs in jail (nothing wrong with that you or I might have used are shoe) she smiled, as if the was fun I don't smile if I kill a fly. Juliette came to like the power she as I see it was the only hexen to embrace it the others were just hexen. I see a difference in the way she was using the power as a kid with a new toy.

Thank you! Well, I have to tell you about bugs. There are some I've encountered that have managed to scurry away, and when I've found them and dispatched them, I do smile. Usually it's a spider and in my house. We have recluse spiders here, so I don't take chances. But if they're outside, I leave them alone.

I do, however, know people who will kill a snake, even if it's outside slithering away from them. They hate snakes that much.

With regard to Juliette, first of all, she's in jail and there's not a lot to keep her occupied. Second, you have a great point about her acting like a kid with a new toy. I think that's probably a right on analogy. I think she was the equivalent of an immature hexenbiest.

(12-09-2015, 07:44 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: Did you happen to see the movie War Lover with Steve McQueen it is movie showing a person who loves war, not as a person who just has a job to do and does it. I see that as embracing.

I'm going to disagree here, because I don't think what happened to Juliette is the same as an obsession or a way for someone to fill some internal gap that they are missing.

I think what happened to Juliette might have been something that happens to young hexenbiests, a right of passage so to speak. She's a lot like a teenager in an adult's body.

So here are some questions I've been pondering. How much time should Juliette have been given to deal with her hexenbiest and grow up? Could it be done in a week? A few days? A month? Thoughts?

RE: Embracing the Hexenbiest-Is such a Thing possible? - eric - 12-09-2015

its good to remember that some fairy tales were originally told to children to let them know what could happen to bad little boys and girls-and had bad endings(not the Disney versions). When really "good" or really "bad" things suddenly happen, they either can destroy people, or make them stronger. Win the lottery, marriages can fall apart because you both can do things you couldn't do before, family tries to kill you, all your old friends and family try to suck you dry. Become disabled, loose a child, go to jail, you can become stronger from these and emerge a better person in a stronger marriage. IMO, Juliette did not have a chance to adjust to being a hex, unlike those born to it. It was so sudden, she was overwhelmed. At i first thought she would make a good adjustment and become a stronger person who would aid Nick in the fight against the dark side. As is all too common, I was wrong.Big Grin I think Adeline could become a better person both because she lost her powers and she now hopes to be a better mom than her mother.

RE: Embracing the Hexenbiest-Is such a Thing possible? - Hexenadler - 12-09-2015

I'd be more optimistic about the phrase "embracing the hexenbiest" if it didn't always mean someone would end up getting killed.

RE: Embracing the Hexenbiest-Is such a Thing possible? - irukandji - 12-10-2015

(12-09-2015, 05:30 PM)eric Wrote: its good to remember that some fairy tales were originally told to children to let them know what could happen to bad little boys and girls-and had bad endings(not the Disney versions). When really "good" or really "bad" things suddenly happen, they either can destroy people, or make them stronger. Win the lottery, marriages can fall apart because you both can do things you couldn't do before, family tries to kill you, all your old friends and family try to suck you dry. Become disabled, loose a child, go to jail, you can become stronger from these and emerge a better person in a stronger marriage. IMO, Juliette did not have a chance to adjust to being a hex, unlike those born to it. It was so sudden, she was overwhelmed. At i first thought she would make a good adjustment and become a stronger person who would aid Nick in the fight against the dark side. As is all too common, I was wrong.Big Grin I think Adeline could become a better person both because she lost her powers and she now hopes to be a better mom than her mother.

How long should Juliette have been given to adjust, do you think?