Grimm Forum
Magic Spells and Potions - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Magic Spells and Potions (/Thread-Magic-Spells-and-Potions)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - irukandji - 08-19-2015

I have some questions. Nick has some extra cones in his eyes, which contribute to his ability to see wesen. I was curious if anyone else caught this or if someone may have an answer. When Adeline cast the spell, Nick returned to normal human status. I'm going to say the spell was designed to disable rather than remove the cones from his eyes. Why wouldn't the spell disable all of the cones in his eyes? For those who don't know, cones function best in light and enable us to see color. Rods function best in dim light. In reality, Nick's vision have been significantly impaired, maybe to the effect of being considered blind. If he was blinded, it would make sense that he would want to go back to being a Grimm asap rather than the goofy back and forth with Juliette.

Also, while I'm thinking about this, I wanted to pose another question. According to what I've seen the only major difference physically for Nick is the cones. So why would he have to have sex with Adelind as Juliette in order to disable cones in his eyes?

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - jsgrimm45 - 08-19-2015

My opinion the sex was a way to pass something like an STD. I think the doctor (as I don't have season four on DVD yet can't say for sure) the those cones were swelled as if there was a infection. Someone may correct this but that's how I remember the episode. As Nick wasn't going to have sex with Adalind to be infected she had to change to Juliette to transmit the STD causing the infection effect on those cones. We know Adalind can make a potions just to do one thing like Juliette memory of Nick.

(08-19-2015, 08:50 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: My opinion the sex was a way to pass something like an STD. I think the doctor (as I don't have season four on DVD yet can't say for sure) the those cones were swelled as if there was a infection. Someone may correct this but that's how I remember the episode. As Nick wasn't going to have sex with Adalind to be infected she had to change to Juliette to transmit the STD causing the infection effect on those cones. We know Adalind can make a potions just to do one thing like Juliette memory of Nick.

Lol, it's complicated isn't it? I wonder why she just didn't make some kind of potion, camouflage herself as Juliette, and give it to him in his coffee. I have to wonder at some of these spells. Just how many Grimms does it take to get something like this right?

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - jsgrimm45 - 08-19-2015

(08-19-2015, 08:59 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(08-19-2015, 08:50 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: My opinion the sex was a way to pass something like an STD. I think the doctor (as I don't have season four on DVD yet can't say for sure) the those cones were swelled as if there was a infection. Someone may correct this but that's how I remember the episode. As Nick wasn't going to have sex with Adalind to be infected she had to change to Juliette to transmit the STD causing the infection effect on those cones. We know Adalind can make a potions just to do one thing like Juliette memory of Nick.

Lol, it's complicated isn't it? I wonder why she just didn't make some kind of potion, camouflage herself as Juliette, and give it to him in his coffee. I have to wonder at some of these spells. Just how many Grimms does it take to get something like this right?
I hope you mean this to be funny as I had a good chuckle.

(08-19-2015, 10:00 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: I hope you mean this to be funny as I had a good chuckle.

I did. I had this image of a hexenbiest stirring potion in a cauldron. In the background were all these little grimms tied up, waiting to be experimented on.

On the serious side though, I kind of wish the spell would have affected all of the cones in Nick's eyes. Not that I want anyone blinded or anything, but it makes it all the more believable as to why he would want to be a Grimm again. I could sympathize with that more than the flip flop back and forth and Juliette's "you need to be a Grimm again."

Since we're on a medical kick today, how do you suppose someone figured out that a Grimm had more cones than anyone else? Just for the fun of it, I pulled up a diagram of the eye. It looks to me like cones are rods are part of the retina. I couldn't immediately find anything to show if an optometrist/ophthalmologist can even see them.

The one thing I do know. No hexenbiest working on Grimms would have found them the old fashioned way much less determine that a Grimm had more than the average human.

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - Elkhound - 08-19-2015

(08-19-2015, 04:36 PM)irukandji Wrote: The one thing I do know. No hexenbiest working on Grimms would have found them the old fashioned way much less determine that a Grimm had more than the average human.

For centuries, village wisewomen rubbed moldy bread on infected wounds, gave foxglove tea for heart palpitations, and gave slippery elm bark and pennyroyal tea to young women whose cycles were late. They didn't know that bread mold was the natural source of penicillin, that foxglove was the natural source of digitalis, or that chemicals in those herbs can cause spontaneous abortions---they just knew that they worked. There's no reason to know that the old hexenbiesten knew about the extra rods--just that doing thus-and-so would neutralize a Grimm's power.

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - jsgrimm45 - 08-20-2015

(08-19-2015, 04:36 PM)irukandji Wrote:
(08-19-2015, 10:00 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: I hope you mean this to be funny as I had a good chuckle.

I did. I had this image of a hexenbiest stirring potion in a cauldron. In the background were all these little grimms tied up, waiting to be experimented on.

On the serious side though, I kind of wish the spell would have affected all of the cones in Nick's eyes. Not that I want anyone blinded or anything, but it makes it all the more believable as to why he would want to be a Grimm again. I could sympathize with that more than the flip flop back and forth and Juliette's "you need to be a Grimm again."

Since we're on a medical kick today, how do you suppose someone figured out that a Grimm had more cones than anyone else? Just for the fun of it, I pulled up a diagram of the eye. It looks to me like cones are rods are part of the retina. I couldn't immediately find anything to show if an optometrist/ophthalmologist can even see them.

The one thing I do know. No hexenbiest working on Grimms would have found them the old fashioned way much less determine that a Grimm had more than the average human.
I had surgery on both eyes Cataracts I see a Ophthalmologists once a year a couple years ago he add a test to map the whole back of the eye. How much the tests show I'm not sure but from with I see on the screen after the test looks like if he wanted to take the time he could count the rods and cones as they can enlarge any area.

I do know the mapping showed a condition that for years was known but wasn't able to see only a simple hand test would show it. The test was to check your peripheral you may have had it done the new test he uses does show the cause and how its progressing. Without the hand test well normally it was a card to the side of your head while you looked straight ahead the would move the card closer to the front and you were to say when you seen it. This is just for FYI should you ever need cataract surgery. Good note after the surgery I don't have any restriction on my driver lic. any long.

(08-19-2015, 05:55 PM)Elkhound Wrote:
(08-19-2015, 04:36 PM)irukandji Wrote: The one thing I do know. No hexenbiest working on Grimms would have found them the old fashioned way much less determine that a Grimm had more than the average human.

For centuries, village wisewomen rubbed moldy bread on infected wounds, gave foxglove tea for heart palpitations, and gave slippery elm bark and pennyroyal tea to young women whose cycles were late. They didn't know that bread mold was the natural source of penicillin, that foxglove was the natural source of digitalis, or that chemicals in those herbs can cause spontaneous abortions---they just knew that they worked. There's no reason to know that the old hexenbiesten knew about the extra rods--just that doing thus-and-so would neutralize a Grimm's power.
Very correct point wasn't a willow tree bark the basic aspirin? The funny thing was irukandji the three Grimm's and a hexen working on a potion to be polite how was she going to test it thinking Adalind.

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - irukandji - 08-20-2015

(08-19-2015, 05:55 PM)Elkhound Wrote: For centuries, village wisewomen rubbed moldy bread on infected wounds, gave foxglove tea for heart palpitations, and gave slippery elm bark and pennyroyal tea to young women whose cycles were late. They didn't know that bread mold was the natural source of penicillin, that foxglove was the natural source of digitalis, or that chemicals in those herbs can cause spontaneous abortions---they just knew that they worked.

Their remedies didn't come naturally. Remedies still don't come naturally even today. It takes countless trial and error and sometimes that doesn't work. The wisewomen knew that as well.

I have no doubt these wise women studied the eye and its functions and probably at one point could discern when someone was going to go blind versus an eye ailment they might be able to cure. They would, through their own research know which remedies could blind a person and which could cure.

Quote:There's no reason to know that the old hexenbiesten knew about the extra rods--just that doing thus-and-so would neutralize a Grimm's power.

It's not hard to determine where a Grimm's power comes from. He sees what others cannot. There's no need for a hexenbiest to come up with this special spell to disable a few extra cones and leave the rest untouched. All Adelind had to do was blind him.

Quote:I had surgery on both eyes Cataracts I see a Ophthalmologists once a year a couple years ago he add a test to map the whole back of the eye. How much the tests show I'm not sure but from with I see on the screen after the test looks like if he wanted to take the time he could count the rods and cones as they can enlarge any area.

I do know the mapping showed a condition that for years was known but wasn't able to see only a simple hand test would show it. The test was to check your peripheral you may have had it done the new test he uses does show the cause and how its progressing. Without the hand test well normally it was a card to the side of your head while you looked straight ahead the would move the card closer to the front and you were to say when you seen it. This is just for FYI should you ever need cataract surgery. Good note after the surgery I done have any restriction on my driver lic. any long.

I'm glad you brought up cataract surgery, js. My father just had both eyes done this past year and what I remember as being a day in the hospital surgery is now just a couple of hours. Within a week after having each eye done, he could see clearly and better than ever. I'm glad your surgery came out well. We have a whole host of pioneers to thank for their trials and errors and what it's led to.

A few years ago I encountered some severe floaters, and the doctor thought they were the forerunner of a detached retina, which can render a person blind. It is also in the retina where the rods and cones are located. The ophthalmologist did a scan of both eyes and thankfully no retinal detachment. Last year, during my eye exam, I had a scope done. The optometrist also showed me the back of the eye and the optic nerve. It was interesting. I never saw that before.

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - Elkhound - 08-20-2015

(08-20-2015, 06:39 AM)irukandji Wrote:
Quote:There's no reason to know that the old hexenbiesten knew about the extra rods--just that doing thus-and-so would neutralize a Grimm's power.

It's not hard to determine where a Grimm's power comes from. He sees what others cannot. There's no need for a hexenbiest to come up with this special spell to disable a few extra cones and leave the rest untouched. All Adelind had to do was blind him.

I'm guessing that there was an earlier version of the spell that did blind the victim. I speculate that some hexenbiesten who weren't quite that evil thought that this was going too far and worked to modify it so that it would only affect the victim's ability to see first-level volge.

But there are other things to being a Grimm besides the sight. Grimms seem to be stronger and quicker than normal humans, react to certain drugs and chemicals differently, and recover from injuries and attacks more quickly.

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - irukandji - 08-20-2015

(08-20-2015, 10:29 AM)Elkhound Wrote:
(08-20-2015, 06:39 AM)irukandji Wrote:

But there are other things to being a Grimm besides the sight. Grimms seem to be stronger and quicker than normal humans, react to certain drugs and chemicals differently, and recover from injuries and attacks more quickly.

Good point, one that makes sense to me. A hexenbiest could rob their Grimm victim of strength and agility by sleeping with them.