Grimm Forum
Magic Spells and Potions - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Magic Spells and Potions (/Thread-Magic-Spells-and-Potions)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - Rotkäppchen - 03-29-2016

(03-29-2016, 03:38 PM)irukandji Wrote:
(03-29-2016, 03:16 PM)Rotkäppchen Wrote: I need to see shrink just thinking about Juleve and mama Kelly being intertwined. If I were Nick I would be like fuggetabowtit and get the h out of dodge for sure HAHA too Freudian for me Smile

Actually, it might not be so different from Adalind and Nick being intertwined. Didn't Elizabeth say they were connected in different ways? It'd really be interesting if Eve could change into Kelly.

No, I'm sorry but that is a whole other ballgame for me (Eve turning into Kelly) - Nick and Adalind being connected is different (IMPO) LOL

If she turned into Kelly - seriously, WTF and how messed up would that be?! Especially for Nick! Again, that's too Freudian! Your ex-girlfriend/lover et al turns into your MOTHER? FFS? Ugh, NOOOOO! Someone would be going over the extreme in terms of Freud in that regard and it's way off base trying to say similar to Adalind and Nick. Eve being mama Kelly - so basically, he slept with his mother?! I'd turn my tele off and never tune into Grimm again. That's way out there, man in personal opinion. *ick* I need to go rinse off just makes me feel sick *blech*

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - irukandji - 03-29-2016

Silence of the Slams was not my favorite episode, but there were a few things in it that I thought would be interesting to put into the magic spells thread. I knew Goyo was going to wear the mask outside the ring and it was pretty much a given that he was going to murder someone and possibly go mad. I really wished the episode would have focused more on Benito. He was far more interesting to me than Goyo.

I did a little research on his wesen background and he is Vibora Dorada. I'm not going to go into all of the research that I found on the Grimm wiki. I'll shorten it to say he apparently is of Aztec background and his species has a talent for taking the faces of wesen and turning them into masks that give the wearer the characteristics of a wesen.

I was curious about why a blood contract would be necessary and did a little research on the Aztec people. According to wiki, "the Aztecs offered blood to the Gods as sort of exchange and gift for their creation." The wiki article also indicated that blood had to be given ritually. If it wasn't, they believed "they would be would be punished and endure excessive pain '“more violent than any man could ever do”'.

I couldn't find anything as to why Goyo would be required to give over half of his earnings to Benito. That must have been something Benito added to make up for his expenses.

I also found some, what I considered, striking elements in this episode that have appeared before in Grimm; the blood contract and assuming the personality of the person by changing appearance.

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - syscrash - 03-29-2016

That is why I wonder why, after Adalind signed the contract it has never been mentioned again.It was a while to get the key's answered. but the key's where acknowledged to exist. Is the contract going to be one of those idea the writers drop. with so excuse that it died with the King. Or Viktor rescinded it when he gave up Diana in exchange for killing the King. It is just interesting they bring up a blood contract just before Diana shows up. Are they trying to refresh our memories.

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - irukandji - 03-29-2016

I actually went looking for some kind of blood ritual involving gypsies but I couldn't find anything. And that, to me, is a major pet peeve with Grimm. Adalind left a bloody hand print versus signing her name in blood. It'd be nice to know why her blood was needed in the first place. it'd also be nice to know what the ramifications are if she renigs on the contract.

Just a little nit here, but I thought I would bring it up. If I remember this slam episode correctly, when Benito went to sign the contract, he dropped some blood on it, and the blood formed into his signature. I mean, it's a very cool effect, but pointless. His blood on the contract would be a blood offering, no need to fancy it up. Whoever's he's offering it to doesn't care as long as it's blood.

Something else I found striking in this episode: wesen characters (other than the scoobies) dealing with humans (other than the scoobies). I liked that a lot!

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - Hell Rell - 03-29-2016

I never liked the blood contract Adalind signed. The main reason being Stefania forcing Adalind's hand down on the contract. I know it's irrelevant but I think the writers could have used Adalind's hand being forced down as a way to render the contract null and void if they were never going to enforce it. The thing I always liked about stories with Rumplestiltskin is that the person making the deal with him may have been misguided but was never forced into it and I always thought the writers made a mistake by having Stefania force Adalind's hand on the contract.

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - jsgrimm45 - 03-30-2016

(03-29-2016, 08:51 PM)Hell Rell Wrote: I never liked the blood contract Adalind signed. The main reason being Stefania forcing Adalind's hand down on the contract. I know it's irrelevant but I think the writers could have used Adalind's hand being forced down as a way to render the contract null and void if they were never going to enforce it. The thing I always liked about stories with Rumplestiltskin is that the person making the deal with him may have been misguided but was never forced into it and I always thought the writers made a mistake by having Stefania force Adalind's hand on the contract.
I would agree if Adalind hadn't did the follow up with Stefania she could have dropped the idea of getting her powers back. If she had done that then the contract was null and void. but she didn't so the contract is good. IMO

(03-29-2016, 07:50 PM)irukandji Wrote: I actually went looking for some kind of blood ritual involving gypsies but I couldn't find anything. And that, to me, is a major pet peeve with Grimm. Adalind left a bloody hand print versus signing her name in blood. It'd be nice to know why her blood was needed in the first place. it'd also be nice to know what the ramifications are if she renigs on the contract.

Just a little nit here, but I thought I would bring it up. If I remember this slam episode correctly, when Benito went to sign the contract, he dropped some blood on it, and the blood formed into his signature. I mean, it's a very cool effect, but pointless. His blood on the contract would be a blood offering, no need to fancy it up. Whoever's he's offering it to doesn't care as long as it's blood.

Something else I found striking in this episode: wesen characters (other than the scoobies) dealing with humans (other than the scoobies). I liked that a lot!
Almost all horror show have signing in blood as a deal with the devil. I don't know if the writers will use it but it gives them a future way to to get to Adalind for not turning over Diana. She got her hexenbiest spirit back or should I say she got Frau Pech spirit. Now do I think they will use this option no but it would be away for Adalind to loss her hexenbiest spirit.

We could write it just when she needs it the most the spirit leave her. As we don't know what was in the contract the writers could use that loophole. The blood on the contract we could write links Adalind to Stefania no matter where she at, we could see Stefania tear the contract and the spirit dies. So many ways to use the contract it could be one of the best hidden writing in Grimm. Don't forget the five dollars and this for your coffee.

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - irukandji - 03-30-2016

(03-30-2016, 06:19 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: Almost all horror show have signing in blood as a deal with the devil. I don't know if the writers will use it but it gives them a future way to to get to Adalind for not turning over Diana. She got her hexenbiest spirit back or should I say she got Frau Pech spirit. Now do I think they will use this option no but it would be away for Adalind to loss her hexenbiest spirit.

We could write it just when she needs it the most the spirit leave her. As we don't know what was in the contract the writers could use that loophole. The blood on the contract we could write links Adalind to Stefania no matter where she at, we could see Stefania tear the contract and the spirit dies. So many ways to use the contract it could be one of the best hidden writing in Grimm. Don't forget the five dollars and this for your coffee.

I know blood contracts often signaled a contract with the devil. But I don't get that impresion with either Adalind's contract or Benito's. I think these are simply tools of magic and there are no religious or spiritual connotations attached. I am of the same opinion with this stick that Nick found. I don't believe it's the true cross, but something more malevolent.

But my real issue was that if Grimm is going to have its characters use a blood contract, then they need to provide an explanation of the reason why. I could figure out the Aztec part of Silence of the Slams and I found that a fascinating aspect of Grimm. But with Stefania and a blood contract, there's nothing in the background of the gypsies that I could find where they used a blood contract or even a blood ritual.

Did Adalind sign the contract before the hexenbiest spirit took up residence or did she sign it afterwards?

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - Hell Rell - 03-30-2016

(03-30-2016, 08:02 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 06:19 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: Almost all horror show have signing in blood as a deal with the devil. I don't know if the writers will use it but it gives them a future way to to get to Adalind for not turning over Diana. She got her hexenbiest spirit back or should I say she got Frau Pech spirit. Now do I think they will use this option no but it would be away for Adalind to loss her hexenbiest spirit.

I know blood contracts often signaled a contract with the devil. But I don't get that impresion with either Adalind's contract or Benito's. I think these are simply tools of magic and there are no religious or spiritual connotations attached. I am of the same opinion with this stick that Nick found. I don't believe it's the true cross, but something more malevolent.

But my real issue was that if Grimm is going to have its characters use a blood contract, then they need to provide an explanation of the reason why. I could figure out the Aztec part of Silence of the Slams and I found that a fascinating aspect of Grimm. But with Stefania and a blood contract, there's nothing in the background of the gypsies that I could find where they used a blood contract or even a blood ritual.

Did Adalind sign the contract before the hexenbiest spirit took up residence or did she sign it afterwards?

I believe Adalind signed it beforehand but I'm not certain about the timeline. I think Frau Pech was still alive at this point. It was towards the end of season 2 and the killing and picking of the flowers didn't begin until the beginning of season 3.

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - jsgrimm45 - 03-30-2016

(03-30-2016, 08:02 AM)irukandji Wrote:

She signed it before Stefania said it was the needed to start to get her powers back. In fact as Stefania was leaving Frau Pech seen her now I would guess only a guess that is why Pech threaten Adalind as she knew what was needed to get her powers back. If you know it takes a hexenbiest killed in a certain way and you are a hexenbiest you might be worried. This case Pech should have left town but was to greedy for her own good, but likely she thought she was smarter.

I only use the blood contract and the devil as an point that this binds a person in a different way than signing in ink. The blood is a binding agent and has been used in Grimm often. Not as religious point just a binding point.

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - irukandji - 03-30-2016

(03-30-2016, 08:29 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: She signed it before Stefania said it was the needed to start to get her powers back. In fact as Stefania was leaving Frau Pech seen her now I would guess only a guess that is why Pech threaten Adalind as she knew what was needed to get her powers back. If you know it takes a hexenbiest killed in a certain way and you are a hexenbiest you might be worried. This case Pech should have left town but was to greedy for her own good, but likely she thought she was smarter.

I only use the blood contract and the devil as an point that this binds a person in a different way than signing in ink. The blood is a binding agent and has been used in Grimm often. Not as religious point just a binding point.

Thanks for clarifying. When you mentioned the devil, I thought maybe you were coming from a religious angle. If the hexenbiest spirit had rejected Adalind, do you think she could have revoked the contract?