Grimm Forum
Magic Spells and Potions - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Magic Spells and Potions (/Thread-Magic-Spells-and-Potions)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - jsgrimm45 - 06-06-2015

(06-05-2015, 05:57 PM)irukandji Wrote:
(06-05-2015, 08:43 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: My 2 cents I think when they used Adalind hair for the potion (stealing from CSI) Adalind hair carried the hexenbeist potion from her getting her powers back. I think Elizabeth fell this when she tested the potion and that's why she told them to add 1 drop less that last time thinking this would prevent this. Elizabeth was already a hexenbeist so that test didn't effect her (we may find out it did and she has more power also) she was a strong hexenbeist in her own right would make for a interesting surprise.

Does this track?

I like the idea of the hexenbiest potion in Adelind's hair. That being said, I just don't see how it could work. From what I understand, the potion that Adelind took gave her back her hexenbiest spirit. Juliette does not have a hexenbiest spirit. Would a hair containing a fragment of potion whose primary purpose was to capture a hexenbiest spirit make a human into a hexenbiest without a spirit? It just doesn't seem likely.

I also thought Henrietta's reaction to Juliette would have been different had this been the result of a potion. But she acts like the hexenbiest part of Juliette is/was and will/be a permanent thing.

So I'm back to the thought that perhaps Juliette had the blood of the hexenbiest within her all along and this wasn't a side effect of the potion.
I like this point but (just my thought) I believed the hexenbiest power Alalind got were like stealing them from the hexenbiest they killed (can't think of the name), and not her own returned. That was the first part of the test to see if the hexenbiest would take on a new host.

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - irukandji - 06-06-2015

(06-06-2015, 04:43 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: I like this point but (just my thought) I believed the hexenbiest power Alalind got were like stealing them from the hexenbiest they killed (can't think of the name), and not her own returned. That was the first part of the test to see if the hexenbiest would take on a new host.

I had a thousand things written up on this today, but kept changing them, so I'll start again. Elizabeth herself tests the potion and assumes Adelind's form, but she remains Elizabeth. Juliette also assumes the form and confirms she's still Juliette. If there was any trace of Adelind's hexenbiest at that point, I'd think Juliette would have said so.

Could sleeping with Nick have been the trigger that started her hexenbiest transition? Maybe he passed on something from Adelind to her. Not a piece of Adelind's hexenbiest because I still think Juliette has hexenbiest in her blood, and had it from day one. It was just dormant. What if Nick passed along some chemical reaction from Adalind that triggered Juliette's hexenbiest?

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - jsgrimm45 - 06-06-2015

(06-06-2015, 10:37 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(06-06-2015, 04:43 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: I like this point but (just my thought) I believed the hexenbiest power Alalind got were like stealing them from the hexenbiest they killed (can't think of the name), and not her own returned. That was the first part of the test to see if the hexenbiest would take on a new host.

I had a thousand things written up on this today, but kept changing them, so I'll start again. Elizabeth herself tests the potion and assumes Adelind's form, but she remains Elizabeth. Juliette also assumes the form and confirms she's still Juliette. If there was any trace of Adelind's hexenbiest at that point, I'd think Juliette would have said so.

Could sleeping with Nick have been the trigger that started her hexenbiest transition? Maybe he passed on something from Adelind to her. Not a piece of Adelind's hexenbiest because I still think Juliette has hexenbiest in her blood, and had it from day one. It was just dormant. What if Nick passed along some chemical reaction from Adalind that triggered Juliette's hexenbiest?
Rosalee when Juliette asked her it you had to be born a hexenbeist Rosalee said you could be made one but didn't know that much about it.

So let's say some one knew a hexenbeist and wanted those type of powers, she would find someone like the women in Austria who knew how to start the process like she did for Adalind. The one wanting the powers (after the whole getting just say the item needed) then they would have to accepted by the hexenbeist as a new host,but we would get a run of the mill hexenbeist with what ever level of power the original hexenbeist had (just thinking).

The birth of Diana wasn't necessary for the completion Adalind's process, but the process did increase Diana powers (or made her something new). Now let's say somewhere in Juliette past was a hexenbieist (stealing your idea) the change for Juliette to Adalind (I'm back to her hair) the small sample in the hair was what started the process on Juliette but when you put a Grimm in the picture you get something that can't be explained. We may be putting ideas into what I call "in the script" meaning it not ever going to be explained just is.

Your thoughts?

(06-06-2015, 12:05 PM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: Rosalee when Juliette asked her it you had to be born a hexenbeist Rosalee said you could be made one but didn't know that much about it.

I like Rosalie but I wonder about her sometimes, especially after intelligent statements like this that tell us nothing. But while we're on the subject of Rosalie, just what is she? A wesen MD? A wesen pharmacist? A wesen herbalist?

(06-06-2015, 12:05 PM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: So let's say some one knew a hexenbeist and wanted those type of powers, she would find someone like the women in Austria who knew how to start the process like she did for Adalind. The one wanting the powers (after the whole getting just say the item needed) then they would have to accepted by the hexenbeist as a new host,but we would get a run of the mill hexenbeist with what ever level of power the original hexenbeist had (just thinking).

The birth of Diana wasn't necessary for the completion Adalind's process, but the process did increase Diana powers (or made her something new). Now let's say somewhere in Juliette past was a hexenbieist (stealing your idea) the change for Juliette to Adalind (I'm back to her hair) the small sample in the hair was what started the process on Juliette but when you put a Grimm in the picture you get something that can't be explained.

I could actually see this, if say for example they took something from Adalind that was alive and added it to the potion. But Elizabeth used her hair, which is dead, and concocted the potion.

Both Elizabeth and Juliette took the potion and neither one of them mentioned any internal changes. When asked, Juliette said she was still Juliette. So I don't think the hair had anything to do with Juliette becoming a hexenbiest. I'm not saying the hair wasn't important, but the way I see it, they needed something of that nature that was Adelind's so Juliette could look like Adelind and reverse Nick's spell. Other than that, I don't see Adelind's hair as having any bearing on Juliette becoming a hexenbiest.

Nick slept with Juliette while he was a Grimm and Juliette was never affected by that. But he only slept with Adelind once. On top of that, his Grimm powers were removed during their time together with some sort of spell. In short, he is not the same as he was before. I don't know how to put this, but maybe he absorbed some of Adelind at that time and passed some of that in to Juliette. In a sense, you could be right, it could be a combination of Grimm-Adelind that passed on to Juliette. I don't think the Grimm part would have affected her though. It never did before. The Adelind part? it could have. If Juliette had dormant hexenbiest blood, perhaps the Adelind part triggered a defense mechanism and Juliette began the process of becoming a hexenbiest.

So back to Rosalie, who knows that hexenbiests can be made, but doesn't have much other valuable information when it comes to hexenbiests. I assume Rosalie's basing this information on her resources, specifially Austrian resources, like you pointed out, jsgrimm. From what I understand, Juliette is of Spanish descent. We know there are Austrian wesen and we know there are American wesen. It stands to reason that there are Spanish wesen as well. Maybe Juliette's ancestors were able to hide their hexenbiest tendencies to the point where it naturally became dormant.

(06-06-2015, 12:05 PM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: We may be putting ideas into what I call "in the script" meaning it not ever going to be explained just is. Your thoughts?

Well, a lot of this I think is probably just a big fat continuity error. I tended to look at wesen as an ultra human, but if they can be made? It rather takes the fun out of Grimm.

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - Wessenrein - 06-06-2015

I think you're thinking far too much, I believe it's quite simple, Adalind used a piece of Juliette to become Juliette and sleep with Nick, Juliette did the same, used a piece of Adalind and became Adalind and slept with Nick, I think the spell itself was the trigger, do remember, when Juliette used the spell to become Adalind, it was to give Nick back his Grimm, so at that point, he was not a Grimm when Juliette became Adalind so I believe it's the spell itself that caused the side effects, even though both had to sleep with Nick in order to complete the spell, only one, Adalind as Juliette, slept with Nick as a Grimm, Nick was not a Grimm when Julette became Adalind.

Elizabeth would not have suffered any side effects from that spell, she's already a Hexxenbeist.

RosaLee is a Herbalist, she said so in the show where Freddy was killed and she was introduced, her parents were the same, Freddy took over for them, she was likely supposed to but fell hard into drug addiction, then she got clean and now she's taken over the spice shop. (spice = herb) Oh, and to the point on RosaLee not knowing very much about how to become a Hexxenbeist, why would she, she's barely been involved with those creatures and it would take some powerful magic and some ancient knowledge to work that type of spell, as seen done only by the Gypsy Queen in Austria, can't remember her name either. lol

(06-06-2015, 04:55 PM)Wessenrein Wrote: I think you're thinking far too much, I believe it's quite simple, Adalind used a piece of Juliette to become Juliette and sleep with Nick, Juliette did the same, used a piece of Adalind and became Adalind and slept with Nick, I think the spell itself was the trigger, do remember, when Juliette used the spell to become Adalind, it was to give Nick back his Grimm, so at that point, he was not a Grimm when Juliette became Adalind so I believe it's the spell itself that caused the side effects, even though both had to sleep with Nick in order to complete the spell, only one, Adalind as Juliette, slept with Nick as a Grimm, Nick was not a Grimm when Julette became Adalind.

We're not thinking too much, just having fun with the topic. But I have a question. Adalind's spell was the more complicated one because its purpose was to remove Nick's powers. All Juliette had to do was do it all in reverse. The only spell was making Juliette into Adelind. So why would there be any complications?

(06-06-2015, 04:55 PM)Wessenrein Wrote: RosaLee is a Herbalist, she said so in the show where Freddy was killed and she was introduced, her parents were the same, Freddy took over for them, she was likely supposed to but fell hard into drug addiction, then she got clean and now she's taken over the spice shop. (spice = herb) Oh, and to the point on RosaLee not knowing very much about how to become a Hexxenbeist, why would she, she's barely been involved with those creatures and it would take some powerful magic and some ancient knowledge to work that type of spell, as seen done only by the Gypsy Queen in Austria, can't remember her name either. lol

You just confirmed my point, Wessenrein. How can anyone rely on Rosalie with regard to hexenbiests when she doesn't know that much about them?

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - Wessenrein - 06-06-2015

(06-06-2015, 05:03 PM)irukandji Wrote:
(06-06-2015, 04:55 PM)Wessenrein Wrote: I think you're thinking far too much, I believe it's quite simple, Adalind used a piece of Juliette to become Juliette and sleep with Nick, Juliette did the same, used a piece of Adalind and became Adalind and slept with Nick, I think the spell itself was the trigger, do remember, when Juliette used the spell to become Adalind, it was to give Nick back his Grimm, so at that point, he was not a Grimm when Juliette became Adalind so I believe it's the spell itself that caused the side effects, even though both had to sleep with Nick in order to complete the spell, only one, Adalind as Juliette, slept with Nick as a Grimm, Nick was not a Grimm when Julette became Adalind.

We're not thinking too much, just having fun with the topic. But I have a question. Adalind's spell was the more complicated one because its purpose was to remove Nick's powers. All Juliette had to do was do it all in reverse. The only spell was making Juliette into Adelind. So why would there be any complications?

(06-06-2015, 04:55 PM)Wessenrein Wrote: RosaLee is a Herbalist, she said so in the show where Freddy was killed and she was introduced, her parents were the same, Freddy took over for them, she was likely supposed to but fell hard into drug addiction, then she got clean and now she's taken over the spice shop. (spice = herb) Oh, and to the point on RosaLee not knowing very much about how to become a Hexxenbeist, why would she, she's barely been involved with those creatures and it would take some powerful magic and some ancient knowledge to work that type of spell, as seen done only by the Gypsy Queen in Austria, can't remember her name either. lol

You just confirmed my point, Wessenrein. How can anyone rely on Rosalie with regard to hexenbiests when she doesn't know that much about them?

Didn't mean any offense, about the thinking too much comment, just having fun myself, as we all are. To your first question, it is a good one, the only answer I can think of, is that when Adalind became Juliette, no side effects for Adalind because Juliette is a non Wessen/normal human, however, when Julette became Adalind, the point of the spell is to take on the form of another person, in this case, Adalind, well, her true form is a Hexxenbeist, so that might explain why Juliette became such. although, Adalind was still powerless at this point, I'm pretty sure. So, yeah, a bit of a faux pas, of sorts, in the writing, should have gotten Adalind's powers back first then it would make more sense. Probably a storyline that was just thrown together as Bitsie Tulloch was leaving the show anyways, she had other obligations from what I've read, 3 other movies, 2 of which are coming out this year, plus, I think her character had run its course. They could have continued that bad girl Julibeist into next season but between her obligations and the fact that I believe her character was purposely created to be doomed from the beginning, remember Aunt Marie's warning to Nick about breaking up with Juliette, that is why it all ended in Season 4.

As to RosaLee and Hexxenbeists, true, she's probably not the best and she might have even said so when mixing the suppression potion as she didn't even know if it would work. However, in the reversal potion to get Nick's Grimm back, it was Elizabeth that actually did that potion, not so much RosaLee, though she helped a bit. So, I'd agree that RosaLee is marginal when it comes to Hexxenbeists, Though not surprised she would know a tiny little bit about the beists, as the suppression potion could be looked upon as a cure, of sorts. So that type of potion could be somewhat familiar to an Herbalist.

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - jsgrimm45 - 06-07-2015

(06-06-2015, 06:35 PM)Wessenrein Wrote:
(06-06-2015, 05:03 PM)irukandji Wrote:

Didn't mean any offense, about the thinking too much comment, just having fun myself, as we all are. To your first question, it is a good one, the only answer I can think of, is that when Adalind became Juliette, no side effects for Adalind because Juliette is a non Wessen/normal human, however, when Julette became Adalind, the point of the spell is to take on the form of another person, in this case, Adalind, well, her true form is a Hexxenbeist, so that might explain why Juliette became such. although, Adalind was still powerless at this point, I'm pretty sure. So, yeah, a bit of a faux pas, of sorts, in the writing, should have gotten Adalind's powers back first then it would make more sense. Probably a storyline that was just thrown together as Bitsie Tulloch was leaving the show anyways, she had other obligations from what I've read, 3 other movies, 2 of which are coming out this year, plus, I think her character had run its course. They could have continued that bad girl Julibeist into next season but between her obligations and the fact that I believe her character was purposely created to be doomed from the beginning, remember Aunt Marie's warning to Nick about breaking up with Juliette, that is why it all ended in Season 4.

As to RosaLee and Hexxenbeists, true, she's probably not the best and she might have even said so when mixing the suppression potion as she didn't even know if it would work. However, in the reversal potion to get Nick's Grimm back, it was Elizabeth that actually did that potion, not so much RosaLee, though she helped a bit. So, I'd agree that RosaLee is marginal when it comes to Hexxenbeists, Though not surprised she would know a tiny little bit about the beists, as the suppression potion could be looked upon as a cure, of sorts. So that type of potion could be somewhat familiar to an Herbalist.
Again good point they put a plot in for a personal reason for Nick to go after the royals. They just Juliette go out as anti Juliette thus making Nick fell that was his fault extra ammo for a darker Nick.

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - irukandji - 06-07-2015

(06-06-2015, 06:35 PM)Wessenrein Wrote: Didn't mean any offense, about the thinking too much comment, just having fun myself, as we all are. To your first question, it is a good one, the only answer I can think of, is that when Adalind became Juliette, no side effects for Adalind because Juliette is a non Wessen/normal human, however, when Julette became Adalind, the point of the spell is to take on the form of another person, in this case, Adalind, well, her true form is a Hexxenbeist, so that might explain why Juliette became such. although, Adalind was still powerless at this point, I'm pretty sure. So, yeah, a bit of a faux pas, of sorts, in the writing, should have gotten Adalind's powers back first then it would make more sense. Probably a storyline that was just thrown together as Bitsie Tulloch was leaving the show anyways, she had other obligations from what I've read, 3 other movies, 2 of which are coming out this year, plus, I think her character had run its course. They could have continued that bad girl Julibeist into next season but between her obligations and the fact that I believe her character was purposely created to be doomed from the beginning, remember Aunt Marie's warning to Nick about breaking up with Juliette, that is why it all ended in Season 4.

Absolutely no offense taken here, Wessenrein. I do tend to think about things that really appeal to me and the spell and potions of Grimm are one of those things. I have to admit, Grimm has been pretty good about spells and potions, with the exception of this one.
This particular spell has nagged on me because I felt it was a sloppy mess from beginning to end. Your comments have caused some thoughts to come to mind.

Do you think the writers simply slopped this together because their intent was to get rid of Juliette all along? Maybe they took the attitude that her character doesn't matter anyway and no one will care to wonder why she became a hexenbiest?

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - Wessenrein - 06-08-2015

Absolutely agree with you irukandji, most of the spells/potions in Grimm have been done well enough, except for this one, it really did feel like the writers did rush through the last few episodes were rushed a bit. They weren't terrible but could have been done a bit better, in fact, I get the feeling that it may have been more of a plan to kill Juliette off in Season 5, but circumstances on both sides, Bitsie and the writers may have forced them to move that storyline along a bit faster than intended. Just a guess. I just think her character was designed to be weak, not without some good points but she was never truly a big part of the gang, there really wasn't much she could do to help them.

I did read that Bitsie had 3 movies she's doing this year and that seems to be the excuse for Bitsie leaving, however, I'm thinking she might have gotten tired of playing Juliette, except the Hexxenbeist Juliette, which even she has said was fun and her idea, but since I believe Juliette was created as a doomed character, ultimately to be killed in order to make Nick's character become even darker and the show overall, as well, Bitsie and the writers may have both decided to kill off Juliette in Season 4 rather than wait one more season. Again, just a theory/guess.

By the way, did you guys know that Bitsie and David are dating? Yup, Nick and Juliette are a couple in real life. lol