Grimm Forum
Magic Spells and Potions - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Magic Spells and Potions (/Thread-Magic-Spells-and-Potions)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - irukandji - 10-02-2015

(10-02-2015, 06:17 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 06:03 AM)Lin S. Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 05:19 AM)irukandji Wrote: I think we've discovered a major plothole here. The writers are stating that Adalind, under the guise of Juliette, became pregnant with Nick's baby. That could happen. She was using Juliette's DNA to make the spell work. The spell would have physically turned her into Juliette, all the way down to the uterus. The baby implanted there would have had Juliette' DNA and Nick's DNA because Adalind was physically Juliette at that point in time. Had she remained in the image of "Juliette", it would be plausible that she could carry the baby to term.

In theory, however, once the spell was broken, there should have been no pregnancy. The baby was conceived under a different form using different DNA. Once Adalind became Adalind by taking on her own form and DNA, the baby should have dissipated along with the spell. The writers are pulling a fast one here by talking about a pregnancy that could not have existed.

You are assuming that Adalind and Juliette do have different DNA. That they are two distinct different human beings. What if one is the light (Silverton) and one is the (dark) version of the same person?

I think this post has many questions that should be answered before we get to the : does Adelaind and Nick baby have Juliette DNA or Adelaind DNA?

This idea of Juliette and Adelaind being the same person like Hide and Jackill is one idea. The problem is that I remember seen Adelaind and Juliette at the same place more the once.

Another question I have never seeing answered here in the forum (the show didn't answer to)... Is: how deep had Adelaind turn into Juliette by the speel?

Irukandji is considering Adelaind changed deep into the DNA. This is a possibility. But she could have changed only externally, her appearance.... Internally considering internal organs and her DNA Adelaind could still be Adelaind. I guess (this is just a guess) the writers are following thus path simply because this explains Adelaind baby being Adelaind's and the writers don't need to explain how the DNA could have being magically changed. It is easier for them.

The point is.... We don't how powerful and deep was Adelaind transformation to consider that she was Juliette DNA when the baby was conceived. I think this is the first question to be answered.

So do you believe the transformation is merely an illusion? That Nick thinks he's seeing Juliette but it's Adalind the whole time?

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - Adriano Neres Rodrigues - 10-02-2015

(10-02-2015, 07:23 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 05:19 AM)irukandji Wrote: I think we've discovered a major plothole here. The writers are stating that Adalind, under the guise of Juliette, became pregnant with Nick's baby. That could happen. She was using Juliette's DNA to make the spell work. The spell would have physically turned her into Juliette, all the way down to the uterus. The baby implanted there would have had Juliette' DNA and Nick's DNA because Adalind was physically Juliette at that point in time. Had she remained in the image of "Juliette", it would be plausible that she could carry the baby to term.

In theory, however, once the spell was broken, there should have been no pregnancy. The baby was conceived under a different form using different DNA. Once Adalind became Adalind by taking on her own form and DNA, the baby should have dissipated along with the spell. The writers are pulling a fast one here by talking about a pregnancy that could not have existed.

You are assuming that Adalind and Juliette do have different DNA. That they are two distinct different human beings. What if one is the light (Silverton) and one is the (dark) version of the same person?

I think this post has many questions that should be answered before we get to the : does Adelaind and Nick baby have Juliette DNA or Adelaind DNA?

This idea of Juliette and Adelaind being the same person like Hide and Jackill is one idea. The problem is that I remember seen Adelaind and Juliette at the same place more the once.

Another question I have never seeing answered here in the forum (the show didn't answer to)... Is: how deep had Adelaind turn into Juliette by the speel?

Irukandji is considering Adelaind changed deep into the DNA. This is a possibility. But she could have changed only externally, her appearance.... Internally considering internal organs and her DNA Adelaind could still be Adelaind. I guess (this is just a guess) the writers are following thus path simply because this explains Adelaind baby being Adelaind's and the writers don't need to explain how the DNA could have being magically changed. It is easier for them.

The point is.... We don't how powerful and deep was Adelaind transformation to consider that she was Juliette DNA when the baby was conceived. I think this is the first question to be answered.

So do you believe the transformation is merely an illusion? That Nick thinks he's seeing Juliette but it's Adalind the whole time?

Personally, I have no idea and that is why I think this deserves a more deep thinking and then a more complete answer. Sincerelly I would like the explanation was a little more complex. I really liked your theory of deep change going down to the DNA.

Unfortunately I think the writers, if they gave some official answer, it will be the easy one: it was just a ilussuion.

I suppose it because since they killed Juliette, I think they want to clean the story for season five so they can start new plots. Actually that is the promise: a restart in the series. Isn't it?

If they bring Juliette back, than I think the writers can use the deep Adelaind transformation to say the baby is Juliette's baby. This would create a lot of conflicts between Adelaind (the mother that carried the baby nine months), Juliette (the DNA mother) and Nick.

But at least until the beginning of the season five I don't see the writers following this path.

(10-02-2015, 08:00 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote:

Personally, I have no idea and that is why I think this deserves a more deep thinking and then a more complete answer. Sincerelly I would like the explanation was a little more complex. I really liked your theory of deep change going down to the DNA.

Unfortunately I think the writers, if they gave some official answer, it will be the easy one: it was just a ilussuion.

I suppose it because since they killed Juliette, I think they want to clean the story for season five so they can start new plots. Actually that is the promise: a restart in the series. Isn't it?

If they bring Juliette back, than I think the writers can use the deep Adelaind transformation to say the baby is Juliette's baby. This would create a lot of conflicts between Adelaind (the mother that carried the baby nine months), Juliette (the DNA mother) and Nick.

But at least until the beginning of the season five I don't see the writers following this path.

Understand your position, Adriano. The thing I see with your argument is that it can apply for almost every discussion in the forum. We could all step back and say we just don't know so therefore it involves deep thinking. All fine and good.

For me, however, I would like to throw out the idea of DNA and Adalind truly changing over into Juliette. If you come up with something later and want to add it, please do. I enjoy reading your thoughts.

(10-02-2015, 08:19 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 08:00 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 06:03 AM)Lin S. Wrote: You are assuming that Adalind and Juliette do have different DNA. That they are two distinct different human beings. What if one is the light (Silverton) and one is the (dark) version of the same person?

Understand your position, Adriano. The thing I see with your argument is that it can apply for almost every discussion in the forum. We could all step back and say we just don't know so therefore it involves deep thinking. All fine and good.

For me, however, I would like to throw out the idea of DNA and Adalind truly changing over into Juliette. If you come up with something later and want to add it, please do. I enjoy reading your thoughts.

You are right. Many subjects in the forum we can simple say: we don't know; the writers didn't answer. And so on.

The point in many of those others subjects is that the arguments used by you and the others members of the forum are so good and harmonic with the series that make me think: ohhhh if the writers choose a different way they will loose a very good theory.

You know that I don’t run away from good debate.... And you know that when the debate are really good I changed my opinion just to keep the debate going on (I have done this debating with you same times... Remember???.... Smile )

My position in this specifically plot is because II haven't seeing yet very good explanation for any theory. All of them rises more questions then answers.

For exemple, if Adelaind became Juliette to take Nick powers, why did Juliette have to became Adelaind? If It was Juliette DNA who took Nick powers... So Juliette just needed to be Juliette to give Nick powers back.

Or... Elizabeth could have transform herself in Juliette and reverse the magic. Maybe what we have is a mixed DNA in both Juliette and Adelaind because of the magic. Maybe it didn't have to be Juliette to reverse the magic, but Elizabeth used it to transform Juliette I to hexanbiest.

For while I simply don't have a opinion about it and I am just showing my reasons for that.

Please, convince me that your theory is consistent with other events in the show and I will be happy to adopt your idea as mine. Smile

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - New Guy - 10-02-2015

Hello Forum,
The writers may have caused the spells and potions of Grimm to raise questions about Human Genetic Engineering. You can research the topic. I came across this:
http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/genetic-inequality-human-genetic-engineering-768
Does the fantasy of Grimm cross into the reality of genetics? If the Adalind to Juliette (destroy Nick's Grimm traits) and Juliette to Adalind (restore the trait) actually alter the genetics and DNA?
Has fantasy become as strange as science?
In the real world of genetic engineering an altered species is permanently altered. In the fantasy of Grimm why were these spells and potions only temporary alterations?
Some have speculated Juliette will return from the dead. There are some cryogenics laboratories in operation:
http://www.alcor.org/
I have not seen any evidence that Juliette was put in the deep freeze. It looks that one of the crossbow bolts hit her heart. Another in the lung. If that stopped her heart, then her brain cells began to die:
http://www.sciencealert.com/news/20140810-26301.html
Grimm is part fantasy so the writers could cook up some hokey plot line to have her return to life, but based on the negative feedback about Renard and Jack plot, that could risk a new record for decline in sweeps and Nielsen ratings. In real life death is permanent. We see her in a casket. The modern method of embalming involves the injection of various chemical solutions into the arterial network of the cadaver to prevent decomposition. The intention is to keep them suitable for public display at a funeral, for religious reasons, or for medical and scientific purposes such as their use as anatomical specimens.
IMHO. Juliette's cadaver will be six feet down and will remain there.
New Guy

(10-02-2015, 08:58 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: You are right. Many subjects in the forum we can simple say: we don't know; the writers didn't answer. And so on.

The point in many of those others subjects is that the arguments used by you and the others members of the forum are so good and harmonic with the series that make me think: ohhhh if the writers choose a different way they will loose a very good theory.

You know that I don’t run away from good debate.... And you know that when the debate are really good I changed my opinion just to keep the debate going on (I have done this debating with you same times... Remember???.... Smile )

My position in this specifically plot is because II haven't seeing yet very good explanation for any theory. All of them rises more questions then answers.

For exemple, if Adelaind became Juliette to take Nick powers, why did Juliette have to became Adelaind? If It was Juliette DNA who took Nick powers... So Juliette just needed to be Juliette to give Nick powers back.

Or... Elizabeth could have transform herself in Juliette and reverse the magic. Maybe what we have is a mixed DNA in both Juliette and Adelaind because of the magic. Maybe it didn't have to be Juliette to reverse the magic, but Elizabeth used it to transform Juliette I to hexanbiest.

For while I simply don't have a opinion about it and I am just showing my reasons for that.

Please, convince me that your theory is consistent with other events in the show and I will be happy to adopt your idea as mine. Smile

I apologize because I think I misunderstood. You were stating that for you, this topic would take more thought. Right?

(10-02-2015, 09:34 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 08:58 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: You are right. Many subjects in the forum we can simple say: we don't know; the writers didn't answer. And so on.

I apologize because I think I misunderstood. You were stating that for you, this topic would take more thought. Right?

YES... EXACTLY... I think this subject deserves a more deep thought.
If your theory is right, it means that in grimm it is possible to change DNA using magic. As New Guy posted:

(10-02-2015, 09:00 AM)New Guy Wrote: Does the fantasy of Grimm cross into the reality of genetics? If the Adalind to Juliette (destroy Nick's Grimm traits) and Juliette to Adalind (restore the trait) actually alter the genetics and DNA?
In the real world of genetic engineering an altered species is permanently altered. In the fantasy of Grimm why were these spells and potions only temporary alterations?

Many questions. It can be a rich debate.

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - jsgrimm45 - 10-02-2015

(10-02-2015, 10:33 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 09:34 AM)irukandji Wrote:

YES... EXACTLY... I think this subject deserves a more deep thought.
If your theory is right, it means that in grimm it is possible to change DNA using magic. As New Guy posted:

(10-02-2015, 09:00 AM)New Guy Wrote: Does the fantasy of Grimm cross into the reality of genetics? If the Adalind to Juliette (destroy Nick's Grimm traits) and Juliette to Adalind (restore the trait) actually alter the genetics and DNA?

Many questions. It can be a rich debate.
Like these idea's, that said I'd like to add a but Big Grin. Just watched all of season 4 on DVD and when Juliette first goes to Henrietta, Henrietta told her Adalind was only able to use the potion because Nick had taken her powers with his blood. I took to this (could be wrong) as again Grimm blood is like a potion of its own. So would we have to add the Grimm blood as the DNA factor not Adalind or Juliette.

Elizabeth couldn't do it because she had never lost her powers and under got the "what ever" again a factor. Leaving me to think (again could be wrong) Nick had to sleep with Adalind the one he took the powers from. Could we add the Grimm blood the hat and come up with what happen to Juliette?

I always thought and posted the whole thing to me was like and STD, but may have have been both a DNA factor also. Thoughts idea's?

(10-02-2015, 01:33 PM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: Like these idea's, that said I'd like to add a but Big Grin. Just watched all of season 4 on DVD and when Juliette first goes to Henrietta, Henrietta told her Adalind was only able to use the potion because Nick had taken her powers with his blood. I took to this (could be wrong) as again Grimm blood is like a potion of its own. So would we have to add the Grimm blood as the DNA factor not Adalind or Juliette.

Elizabeth couldn't do it because she had never lost her powers and under got the "what ever" again a factor. Leaving me to think (again could be wrong) Nick had to sleep with Adalind the one he took the powers from. Could we add the Grimm blood the hat and come up with what happen to Juliette?

I always thought and posted the whole thing to me was like and STD, but may have have been both a DNA factor also. Thoughts idea's?

I have completely forgotten about grimm blood. You are right jsgrimm: nick’s blood must be considered in this equation. Viktor told something to Adelaind (in season 3) to take Nick’s powers since she had his blood in her. This indicates that the grimm blood is important.
Adelaind having nick’s blood is also a reason why Juliette couldn’t be transformed back in human, since she was transformed originally by a spell from Adelaind. It means that someway Adelaind and Juliette were connected and the grimm blood is an important part in this. Is this connection broke after Juliette’s death?
But I still have questions/options:
Maybe the blood was important only to take Nick’s power and Adelaind transformation in Juliette was just a way to get to Nick.
But maybe the blood and the transformation were both important parts of the spell. In this case, those two things are connected.
With of those two are the right option?

Could Adelaind have used the transformation spell to became Juliette for other reasons different of taking Nick’s powers? In this case the blood was important just for the taking powers part.
For me it is not really clear why it had to be Juliette to give Nick’s power back. I mean: Juliette was never a hexanbiest, so she never lost any power (if this apply to Elizabeth, Juliette couldn’t be used too). Juliette had nick’s blood in her because of she drunk it in a potion, but that was not to kill Juliette hexanbiest part. If Nick’s blood was important to take his powers, was it not important to recover his powers to?
A point here: maybe Juliette transformation into hexanbiest was an important part of the spell to recover Nick’s power. This would answer some of those questions. But in this case, Elizabeth knew it and didn’t tell them that Juliette would be a hexanbiest until she dies.
jsgrimm, the grimm blood is important. You are right about that. But it opens more questions them answer them.
A last though: the grimm have the power to get power from wesen when attacked by them. Juliette had Nick’s blood from season 2 (the potion she and Sean drunk in season 2). Do you think Nick’s blood in Juliette and from Adelaind (in the original spell) is the reason why Juliette got hexanbiest powers?

RE: Magic Spells and Potions - jsgrimm45 - 10-03-2015

(10-02-2015, 02:08 PM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 01:33 PM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: Like these idea's, that said I'd like to add a but Big Grin. Just watched all of season 4 on DVD and when Juliette first goes to Henrietta, Henrietta told her Adalind was only able to use the potion because Nick had taken her powers with his blood. I took to this (could be wrong) as again Grimm blood is like a potion of its own. So would we have to add the Grimm blood as the DNA factor not Adalind or Juliette.

I have completely forgotten about grimm blood. You are right jsgrimm: nick’s blood must be considered in this equation. Viktor told something to Adelaind (in season 3) to take Nick’s powers since she had his blood in her. This indicates that the grimm blood is important.
Adelaind having nick’s blood is also a reason why Juliette couldn’t be transformed back in human, since she was transformed originally by a spell from Adelaind. It means that someway Adelaind and Juliette were connected and the grimm blood is an important part in this. Is this connection broke after Juliette’s death?
But I still have questions/options:
Maybe the blood was important only to take Nick’s power and Adelaind transformation in Juliette was just a way to get to Nick.
But maybe the blood and the transformation were both important parts of the spell. In this case, those two things are connected.
With of those two are the right option?

Could Adelaind have used the transformation spell to became Juliette for other reasons different of taking Nick’s powers? In this case the blood was important just for the taking powers part.
For me it is not really clear why it had to be Juliette to give Nick’s power back. I mean: Juliette was never a hexanbiest, so she never lost any power (if this apply to Elizabeth, Juliette couldn’t be used too). Juliette had nick’s blood in her because of she drunk it in a potion, but that was not to kill Juliette hexanbiest part. If Nick’s blood was important to take his powers, was it not important to recover his powers to?
A point here: maybe Juliette transformation into hexanbiest was an important part of the spell to recover Nick’s power. This would answer some of those questions. But in this case, Elizabeth knew it and didn’t tell them that Juliette would be a hexanbiest until she dies.
jsgrimm, the grimm blood is important. You are right about that. But it opens more questions them answer them.
A last though: the grimm have the power to get power from wesen when attacked by them. Juliette had Nick’s blood from season 2 (the potion she and Sean drunk in season 2). Do you think Nick’s blood in Juliette and from Adelaind (in the original spell) is the reason why Juliette got hexanbiest powers?
Right we had Grimm blood in both Juliette and Adalind acting as potion. Question would be did Sean tell Elizabeth about the potion to clear up his and Juliette problem. This was never shown so I don't think Elizabeth knew about Grimm blood and Juliette never came up.

If I track your point correct if a Grimm's blood could take a hexen power and then that hexen could take the Grimm's power, but also the Grimm blood in Juliette could have give her hexen power. That is a point that I hadn't thought about.

Grimm blood has to act as a potion in and of itself. Henrietta told Nick his blood wouldn't cure Juliette because his blood was in Adalind but I think Henrietta was thinking about Adalind not knowing that Nick blood was in Juliette before then if she had know this may have explained the why of Juliette.

Will have to do more thinking about potions? Good point.Dodgy