Grimm Forum
Free Books! - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Comics & Books (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Comics-Books)
+--- Thread: Free Books! (/Thread-Free-Books)

Free Books! - Lou - 05-18-2015

I just discovered by accident that

The Grimm Diaries Prequels volume 1- 6: Snow White Blood Red, Ashes to Ashes & Cinder to Cinder, Beauty Never Dies, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, Mary Mary Quite ... Apples (A Grimm Diaries Prequel Box set) [Kindle Edition]

are free! At the Amazon Kindle store

I just realized that these are not the books I thought they were. I'm going to have to try and figure out which books I was looking for. But in the meantime you can't really argue with free books.

Hey, Now!
OK, I figured out the books I was looking for. They aren't free but its just $5 for three books. So its still a deal. I can't remember which Grimm-ster clued me in on these books, but maybe he'll chime in here.

So the books are written by Stephen Carpenter.
Here is what Amazon's author blurb says. "Stephen Carpenter created the NBC series Grimm, and has written screenplays for Ocean's Eleven, Blue Streak, and other films. A graduate of UCLA Film School, Carpenter has also written and directed several thrillers, including Soul Survivors, starring Casey Affleck. His first novel, Killer, was a #1 Amazon Bestseller, and dubbed a "blockbuster" by Entertainment Weekly. His latest collection, The Grimm Curse Trilogy, is available now on Amazon "

And here is Amazon's blurb on the books
"From the creator of NBC’s acclaimed Grimm series, Stephen Carpenter presents the entire Grimm Curse origin saga collected in one volume, along with special Author’s Notes about the creation and development of the series.
Beginning with The Grimm Curse (Once Upon A Time Is Now), and including The Grimm Curse (The Girl In The Red Hoodie), and The Grimm Curse – Snow White, this collection follows Jake Grimm from troubled teen to manhood as he discovers his destiny and battles the harrowing creatures from the Grimm Tales. It’s all the Grimm you’ll ever need, in one book."

The books got 4+ stars in Amazon's reviews. I didn't find any reviews from any other sources.

I'm thinking this could be a summer project. Read these books and then we can "discuss" them online. It will give us something to do over the summer hiatus.

And Amazon will even let me "loan" these books. So if you can't afford to buy them i can maybe lend them to you.

Ok, i did a little homework on the "Grimm Diaries".
It turns out that its 6 short stories. All were perviously published as Kindle books for a buck each. Now they are free cause there is another set of 6. Its now $3.

(Also it looks like the author, Cameron Jace, got a new editor. there were a lot of complaints about grammatical and spelling errors - but it looks like that's been cleaned up.)

Oh! it looks like there are two more sets of 6.

and all these short stories are prequels to a series of novels. It looks like there are already three of these novels.

The stories are re-tellings of Grimm fairy tales. Sounds a lot like books by Robin McKinley, and i've enjoyed her books. However, I know that re-telling fairy tales are super popular right now with 10 - 15 year old girls, so i wonder if these "Grimm Diaries" are just trying to get in with that crowd.

RE: Free Books! - Lou - 05-19-2015

So, i started the Grimm curse yesterday. Thought I'd give you an update.

Its told from the point of view of a 15 year old boy. so in my experience that immediately puts it into the YA category. and probably makes its target audience middle school boys. and grown up fans of the TV show Grimm. Smile
As far as a YA book goes... its OK. Its certainly not Harry Potter or Hunger Games. I think it also falls short of Jane Yolen and Tamora Pierce. its also a "boy's book" written by a male and with a male hero (although there is an important female teen character as well). That should help with its popularity with the boys because right now 95% of new YA urban fantasy are girl's books. oh, and it is Urban Fantasy - which is a category of fantasy that I really like.

Anyway, I'm not very far into it yet, but so far there seem to be as many differences as there are similarities to the TV show.

RE: Free Books! - Lou - 05-22-2015

Well, i just finished the Grimm Curse Trilogy. All three books are about as long as one book. They are more like longish short stories or short novellas. They are definitely YA which is a minus in my book. But for YA they are pretty good.
At the end the protagonist, Jake Grimm, is almost 18 and almost out of HS, so i would be interested in seeing another book that maybe more oriented to a mature audience.