Grimm Forum
The Imitation Game - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Community (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Community)
+--- Forum: Movies (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Movies)
+--- Thread: The Imitation Game (/Thread-The-Imitation-Game)

The Imitation Game - grimmfreak - 04-29-2015

Just watched this film today and have to say it may be my new favorite of all time.

This should be required viewing for anyone who has ever felt different (IE everyone Tongue) and even more so for everyone who has ever harbored ill will in their hearts for those that are different (perhaps also everyone Tongue).

I wept after seeing the imitation game. Not because of the sadness of the film itself alone but also for the knowledge of how many lives have been and will be cut short because our world is so hostile to those that are different.

RE: The Imitation Game - Lou - 04-29-2015

I liked this movie a lot too. but for different reasons. I liked the WW II history, and the computers, and the code breaking. Oh, and i've had a Krush on Kiera Knightley since "Bend it like Bekham".

if there are any other fans of code breaking, check out the historical fiction novel Cryptonomicon. In this novel, a fictionalized version of Alan Turing is a main character.

RE: The Imitation Game - grimmfreak - 04-29-2015

Funny thing is I'm a history buff (specializing in WW II) and a major geek so all the things you mention would be enough for me to really like a movie. In this case they only add to my enjoyment of the film.

RE: The Imitation Game - Fuchsbauer - 04-29-2015

I saw this movie about two months ago. It's so sad to see what people used to do to those on the LGBT spectrum (and still do today in some places, like Uganda). Even today we still experience discrimination and hate because we happen to like somebody who's the same sex as us?

Benedict Cumberbatch is brilliant in everything he's in (especially Sherlock) and this was no exception. I don't know a lot about code breaking, but seeing the machine working was just beautiful and made me really happy. Still, what did Britain do to celebrate a person who ended the war years earlier and saved thousands, maybe even millions of lives? Get him chemically castrated because he's gay. Sad

RE: The Imitation Game - Lou - 04-30-2015

For those of you who like historical fiction, WWII stuff, and costume drama, check out the British TV show "Call the Midwife". It is in its "something season, now. but the seasons are very short. The first season starts up in the late 40s. Rubble from the Battle of Britain still lines the streets. This season seems to be in the late 50s or something. The reason i brought it up is that they almost always tie in some kind of historical event or in each episode. This season there was an episode where a gay guy was arrested and then convicted to prison but he went with the chemical castration option as well. I actually saw this episode before i saw the imitation game so I was pretty surprised.
By the way, Call the midwife, is based on an autobiography.
The other thing that I really like about this show, is that unlike almost every other tv show, there are no set villains. God, or life, or circumstances usually play the antagonist role - while all the other characters are the heroes.
and like Downton Abbey, and Mad Men, and even Agent Carter, the art department (sets, props, costumes) are really amazing.