Grimm Forum
Questions about Grimm Forum - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Questions about Grimm Forum (/Thread-Questions-about-Grimm-Forum)

Pages: 1 2

Questions about Grimm Forum - HellJacket - 05-15-2013

So, if anyone also posts on the Grimm forum over at IMDB.com, they are likely familiar with my posting style. But before I make this forum a permanent abode for myself, I have several questions that I would like answers to. Moderators or anyone else, feel free to respond as honestly as possible.

1. When I read Juliette-bashing (whether nonsensical or not), do I get to insult said bashers in turn? This also includes anyone who whines about "it taking forever for Juliette to regain her memory" or any other season long plot line. I don't particular like forums that have a double standard where posters get to insult characters from the show, but I don't get to insult them back.

2. Does this forum discriminate against posters who use the term, "wessen"?

3. Does this forum discriminate against posters who consider Grimm=wessen, even though characters on the show apply a narrower definition of what qualifies under the term, but fans clearly have a broader definition (i.e. anyone who morphs or has powers)?

4. Does this forum have constant fan-"girl" fawning over Renard?

5. Does this forum automatically delete threads that haven't had new posts in 3 months? 6 months? A year?

6. Do I get to insult posters who whine about the German/French/Dutch/Wessen terms being grammatically incorrect and how the writers are morons because of it?

RE: Questions about Grimm Forum - Lou - 05-15-2013

Hi, welcome to the forum, I think.
I'm not familiar with your posts on IMDB, I have only posted there once and that was to tell KachinaEarth what a great job she was doing with her research on the quotes and the fairy tales.
I don't think your questions about insults and bashing are relevant. We are a small community of like-minded people and don't ever insult or bash each other. We might occasionally disagree, but I don't think any of us are comfortable with insults.
I don't think we discriminate against any kind of posters.
I hadn't realized IMDB had those kind of problems. Well, we don't, so i hope you like us and stick around.

RE: Questions about Grimm Forum - HellJacket - 05-15-2013

(05-15-2013, 04:40 PM)Lou Wrote: I hadn't realized IMDB had those kind of problems. Well, we don't, so i hope you like us and stick around.

LOL, you must really not post much on IMDB. Here are some thread titles within the last 10 pages of the IMDB Grimm forum.

Why Juliette drags down the show
Tired of Juliet
Bitsie Tulloch(Juliette) needs to LEAVE. Her acting is terrible.
Ugh! I REALLY Tried To Like Juliette
So there are many Juliette haters here...
Juliette should move away, not be killed off.
Would anyone care if Juliette....

And that's just the thread titles.

RE: Questions about Grimm Forum - Lou - 05-16-2013

Well, as you can tell from our thread titles we are not like that.
But it has surprised me in the past how much Juliette is loathed by so many Grimm fans.

RE: Questions about Grimm Forum - HellJacket - 05-16-2013

(05-16-2013, 04:34 AM)Lou Wrote: Well, as you can tell from our thread titles we are not like that.

Currently, this is a very low traffic forum. You generally won't get many of those threads until this forum becomes a high volume one. That's also the point when you get trolling and the more unbalanced fan types. IMDB is fertile ground for both types of posters.

RE: Questions about Grimm Forum - FräuleinWunderlich - 05-16-2013

(05-15-2013, 04:49 PM)HellJacket Wrote: LOL, you must really not post much on IMDB. Here are some thread titles within the last 10 pages of the IMDB Grimm forum.

Why Juliette drags down the show
Tired of Juliet
Bitsie Tulloch(Juliette) needs to LEAVE. Her acting is terrible.
Ugh! I REALLY Tried To Like Juliette
So there are many Juliette haters here...
Juliette should move away, not be killed off.
Would anyone care if Juliette....

And that's just the thread titles.

That sounds exhausting. Sad I´m also not a fan from Juliette since they changed the charakterprofil but that posts sound very hard to her.

RE: Questions about Grimm Forum - Gretel Hanselsister - 05-16-2013

(05-15-2013, 04:21 PM)HellJacket Wrote: 6. Do I get to insult posters who whine about the German/French/Dutch/Wessen terms being grammatically incorrect and how the writers are morons because of it?

I'm new at this forum, too, but I'm pretty sure noone insults noone here :-)
When I saw the first episodes of Grimm, me and my husband were excited, irritated and amused at once about the language the writers called german. They could have done better. So what? It's extra-fun for germans, I've excepted it as an artificial language Grimm-German. Did you know they re-translate it for the german audience? On german TV the Siegbarst is called "Granitbestie" (granite-beast), the Blutbad is a "Blutbader" with a "r" and so on, for me the fun is gone. Sound matters. "Siegbarst" is nonsense, but it sounds great.
In my opinion, the english-speaking audience has every right to type "vessons" or whatever, (btw, german writing would be "Wesen" with a capital W and only one s). If you are not a native, you speak with an accent, you can also write with an accent. And I hope I'm allowed to make english mistakes, too Blush.
As a german, I find it nothing but great, that they took german stuff to create such a good show. It's flattering. And I can't stand people who think they have to act like a know-it-all. Just because they know their own mother-tongue. Impressive Rolleyes.

RE: Questions about Grimm Forum - GrimmForum - 05-16-2013

Hi HellJacket, welcome to Grimm Forum. I thought your name sounded familiar. I've only visited IMDb's Grimm message board once, but I do remember seeing one of your threads on ratings, and I thought it was quite insightful.

That said, I'm not familiar with your posting style, the issues going on at IMDb or the topics being discussed at their message board. As Lou said, we're a small community of like minded people, and we've never had any conflict or the problems you've listed.

It's important that at Grimm Forum, we are a community that's respectful of others, and as Lou mentioned, insults will make members feel uncomfortable here. You're right, as a small community, we have not yet dealt with trolls or other issues of conflict found on other message boards. Although we are small, we've got a friendly community with really great members. I think people here will agree with me that we'd like to strive to maintain this friendly environment, even if we may face growing pains along the way.

Thanks for joining our forum. I look forward to your posts.

RE: Questions about Grimm Forum - Lou - 05-16-2013

Wait, weren't we talking about the kind of trolls that live under bridges?? Wink

RE: Questions about Grimm Forum - pale boy - 05-17-2013

Hey, Helljacket, welcome to the forums. Smile I'll add in my two cents to the other thorough answers that were already in this thread.

1. I don't think I've seen anyone here bash Juliette, (but I have read it on other places like Facebook; the best response to outright bashing is no response at all for me or to counter it with something nice about the character). I have personally made some posts about the length of the Juliette amnesia plot, however -- for reasons I won't discuss here since this isn't the thread for it (though I will say that I don't hate her; just thought she should have had more to do this season). I think there is a difference between legitimate complaints and bashing though. Criticism of a thing (or the show itself) doesn't automatically equate to dislike or hate-watching.

2. "Wessen" or "wesen"? *shrug* Either one and we know what someone is talking about. If any one tries to play the grammar police, that might be a problem around here since we're all laid-back.

3. That sounds like you're asking if we have a bias against anyone with fan theories or their own ideas/interpretations about the show (or the terms on the show) and the way the Grimm-verse works: from what I've seen, no one here does that. (And if someone has posited that Grimm might be a type of Wesen, that's actually a nifty idea!)

4. Every fandom has its fangirling or fanboying. I myself am a male Renard fan and I really am starting to love Rosalee too, but I don't think I've gone overboard with it. I hope. No "Draco in Leather Pants" trope going on here, lol. Gushing over a particular character is fine. Heck, we even have a section for characters here. Sometimes there's a bit of fan myopia over characters -- not everyone has the same interpretation of things, but that's okay. Fans will never have a single view on things.

5. As far as I know, we don't have an auto-delete policy. I've certainly never wiped out a thread manually. (Unsure if culling/pruning might be necessary or not in the future as the site grows; not my area!)

6. Like others have said, insulting other posters might not be a good thing. Grammarians can get on nerves sometimes, but making fun of them might only serve to cause more issues. Like I said above in this post, anyone who takes it upon themselves to police grammar here would be finding themselves in a lax environment.

When we do get trolls here (and I don't doubt that we will as we grow), the mods will be watching.