Grimm Forum
GOUT! - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Community (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Community)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-The-Lounge)
+--- Thread: GOUT! (/Thread-GOUT)

GOUT! - Elkhound - 01-02-2015

The two foods that tend to trigger my gout are pork and asparagus.

I was invited to Christmas dinner at a friend's house. And what did he serve but ham and asparagus!

My left big toe is visibly swollen. It has gone dow--I can wear a shoe now. But. . . .

OW! OW! OW!

I wish I had Rosalee to whip up some herbal concoction. Or even Juliette to give me a shot of whatever she gives to horses with sore joints.

RE: GOUT! - busyizzy - 01-02-2015

(01-02-2015, 08:43 PM)Elkhound Wrote: The two foods that tend to trigger my gout are pork and asparagus.

I was invited to Christmas dinner at a friend's house. And what did he serve but ham and asparagus!

My left big toe is visibly swollen. It has gone dow--I can wear a shoe now. But. . . . OW! OW! OW!

I wish I had Rosalee to whip up some herbal concoction. Or even Juliette to give me a shot of whatever she gives to horses with sore joints.

That can be painful. My dad suffered from gout for years. After taking a bunch of nasty meds from his doctor, which raised his normally great blood pressure, he conferred with a naturopath while visiting his family in Ireland. His naturopath gave him nutritional advice and told him to: drink 2 litres of clear fluids (water and/or green/herbal teas) each day, add a cup of fresh cherries or berries to his diet each day. He should also increase his intake of ginger, leeks, celery, onion, and green leafy (folate veggies) and take a B-complex vitamin (again with folate) every day. He was to reduce organ and processed meats, shellfish, brachia veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc. unless well-cooked), and alcohol. Protein should not make up more than 30% of each meal by weight.

He did great, and his gout pretty much disappeared EXCEPT at the holidays when his intake of rich food and alcohol was higher than the norm. He would splurge and then suffer for it. Sad

Good luck and hope you find a Rosalee! Smile

RE: GOUT! - Elkhound - 01-03-2015

Part of the problem is that I also am diabetic, and diabetics are advised to avoid sugars & starches, and fruit is high in sugar; so are onions. Also, bracchia are supposed to be particularly good for us as they are high in fibre. Hence, I have two conditions whose dietary advice contradict one another.

As a diabetic I'm supposed to avoid carbohydrates (sugars, starches); as one prone to gout I'm supposed to avoid protein. As a middle-aged man and therefore a prime candidate for heart problems I'm supposed to avoid fat.

Once one eliminates carbohydrates, fats, and proteins WHAT IS LEFT TO EAT?

RE: GOUT! - busyizzy - 01-03-2015

(01-03-2015, 07:31 AM)Elkhound Wrote: Part of the problem is that I also am diabetic, and diabetics are advised to avoid sugars & starches, and fruit is high in sugar; so are onions. Also, bracchia are supposed to be particularly good for us as they are high in fibre. Hence, I have two conditions whose dietary advice contradict one another.

As a diabetic I'm supposed to avoid carbohydrates (sugars, starches); as one prone to gout I'm supposed to avoid protein. As a middle-aged man and therefore a prime candidate for heart problems I'm supposed to avoid fat.

Wow! That sucks eggs. I have a friend who has Graves' Disease but is hypothyroid and has gluten ataxia. All her nutrition requirements are at odds with one another too. So complicated, and it's not like you just can't eat.

Good luck. I hope you find a practitioner who can help you identify a solution. I wonder if you tried modifying something like the Mediterranean diet...somewhere where diabetes and gout is not common...if that would make sense?

Anyway, I'm no expert and don't pretend to be. I just wanted to help. Smile Again, good luck and I hope you feel better.

RE: GOUT! - Lou - 01-04-2015

(01-03-2015, 07:31 AM)Elkhound Wrote: Part of the problem is that I also am diabetic, and diabetics are advised to avoid sugars & starches, and fruit is high in sugar; so are onions. Also, bracchia are supposed to be particularly good for us as they are high in fibre. Hence, I have two conditions whose dietary advice contradict one another.

Although fruit and some vegetables are high in sugar - diabetics should still eat them. You just have to spread them out. For instance, instead of eating a banana, you eat half a banana an hour or two after breakfast and the other half an hour or two after lunch. You can put 5 - 10 berries on your breakfast cereal, or 5 strawberies in your smoothie or parfait.
I don't think anyone has told you to elimante protein. just don't over due it. Most Americans have a diet that contains 30 - 40% protein. while all you really need is 10 - 20% (thats in calories). Some nutritionists recommend you take your weight in pounds and divide by 2, to get the number of grams of protein you need each day. but many nutritionists are now dividing by 3.
The thing about fat is that most americans get way too much. no one recommends a diet that contains more than 30% fat (not even for active athletes). Most of us should shoot for 20%.
As far as carbs go, there are good carbs and bad carbs. You almost can't go wrong with fruits and vegetables. the fiber in those foods slow down the digestion of the carbs so that it doesn't go into your blood stream too fast. and when eating grains, make sure that they are either unprocessed or at least are mostly whole grains. Again, the fiber slows the absorbtion of the food.
So like Izzy told you:
Drink lots of water. eat a few servings of fruit throuhout the day.
eat lots of vegetables. You may want to restrict the intake of the dark leafy ones - i think some of them are bad for gout.
I also believe as a general rule you should reduce the amount of meat and dairy you eat. and avoid processed foods. and processed oils.