Grimm Forum
S4E04 - Dyin' on a Prayer - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 4 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-4)
+---- Thread: S4E04 - Dyin' on a Prayer (/Thread-S4E04-Dyin-on-a-Prayer)

Pages: 1 2 3

S4E04 - Dyin' on a Prayer - GrimmForum - 11-14-2014

Season 4 Episode 4
Dyin' on a Prayer

[Image: d5mLFi2l.jpg]

Air Date: November 14, 2014

Synopsis: Nick (David Giuntoli) and Hank (Russell Hornsby) are called to an unusual crime scene with a victim who appears to have died from clay-induced asphyxiation. At the precinct, Wu (Reggie Lee) begins to grow more suspicious of Trubel's (guest star Jacqueline Toboni) presence. At the Spice Shop, Elizabeth (guest star Louise Lombard) makes a major breakthrough with regards to restoring Nick's powers, while Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell) and Rosalee (Bree Turner) experience cultural backlash as a result of their inter-Wesen marriage. In Europe, Adalind (Claire Coffee) hopes that putting trust in her mysterious visitor will help her escape the dungeon. Sasha Roiz also stars.

RE: S4E04 - Dyin' on a Prayer - UndercoverGrimm - 11-14-2014

Another solid episode for Grimm. Does anyone else mistake Elizabeth as Adalind's mother? They look so much a like. The gullom reminded me of The Thing.

Truble leaving her Knight chess piece was a clever move. Nice to see her being comfortable with them using her actual name. I could be crazy, but could the boy be a grimm? Looks like Wu is still trying to figure everything out.

Glad there is a good or at least not evil hexanbeast around. Nick either gets his powers back or stays normal soon it seems. I lol'd when Monroe thought all they needed to do was have Elizabeth-Adalind sleep with Nick. Grimm has some great writers.

RE: S4E04 - Dyin' on a Prayer - Secret Keeper - 11-14-2014

(11-14-2014, 08:37 PM)UndercoverGrimm Wrote: I lol'd when Monroe thought all they needed to do was have Elizabeth-Adalind sleep with Nick.

Like that's just a simple little thing.

And I don't think David's a grimm. I did think of that, but he's sort of young even for when the girls get their powers, and men are generally fully grown first.

RE: S4E04 - Dyin' on a Prayer - Grimmster123 - 11-15-2014

I was pleasantly surprised by this episode to say the least. Although there wasn't a terrible amount of action and the case seemed a little bit rushed, we got to see a whole new side of Trubel that makes her a more likeable and relatable character. Before Trubel just came across as hard-nosed and rebellious but we learn that inside she's just a scared kid trying to connect the dots and because of this is able to connect with David. Her bonding with David was fun to watch and I think this was an important episode for Trubel going forward.

She also told Nick about her mysterious meeting (if you can call being kidnapped and tied up against your will a meeting) with Agent Chavez which I think showed a bit of maturity on the part of Trubel. This shows that although Nick isn't a Grimm anymore, she still respects him and knows that she can't do this alone.

Both of these were tremendous breakthroughs for Trubel and I hope the writers use the experiences Trubel faced in this episode and adjust her character accordingly.

David facing his fears to help Trubel was a moving gesture and a fitting way to end the case portion of the episode.

The Adalind storyline is starting to frustrate me to be brutally honest. Last week she attempts to escape with Hoffman and then this week she is on the verge of drowning because a dozen stone faces appear from the wall and all start crying? This is all obviously some sort of trick by Viktor and although it is somewhat interesting, I'd rather give more screen time to Monroe, Rosalee, and Elizabeth than jump back to Vienna for a couple of minutes to see what weird event will occur next.

Lastly I would like to end by asking people what they think of Elizabeth. I honestly don't like the way that she has undertaken reversing this spell all by herself. It seems that she only values Monroe and Rosalee in their ability to run around the Spice Shop getting obscure ingredients while she sits at a table mixing them in. At least that's my take on her.

RE: S4E04 - Dyin' on a Prayer - Lou - 11-15-2014

Pretty much agree with everything above.

I really liked this episode. So far I think this season is much better than last season.

Just a few weeks ago I read the novel "The Golem of Hollywood". Its a best seller so I wonder if the writers had seen it and gotten the idea. I also liked they did a little research and then explained the origin of the Golem myth. The Golem does remind me of the Thing. I wonder if they chose that color of mud with that in mind of if that's just a recognizable color for clay. I also imagined Golems to be a darker color. (like my new avatar!)

Since i'm one of those guys who like Trubel already, and somewhat concerned by all the fans who don't like Trubel, i like the way her character was developed this week. Her identifying and helping David, i thought was very well done. And the whole keeping Juliette out of the line of fire was great. She is defiantly showing some promise as Nick's apprentice.

Another thing that I got a kick out of was Hank's analysis of the Golem. I mean, one of the endearing things about these cops is their lack of analysis (probably helps keep them sane, too). No Castle-like murder boards for these guys. They solve their crimes by running into them head first. So it was kind of cute that Hank had categorized the Vucanis and LaLlorna as a different category of monster. As this fan made field guide does http://www.sidereel.com/posts/252955-news-grimm-wesen-field-guide
I guess its just nice to see these guys do think about this stuff just like we do.

I wonder if the Adalind thing is just a "dream sequence". remember Hoffman gave her some food before they took off. Probably laced with the Hexenbiest version of magic mushrooms. Not sure what the purpose of this whole thing is though. Hopefully it will all be made clear in a few episodes.

Bonus points to last week's predictor that the guys outside the spice shop were anti-mixed marriage types.

I had some new thoughts about Chavez's mystery group. Could it be a "cell" of the resistance? Perhaps not all the parts of the resistance know about Nick? but another idea i had has to do with a real and current issue. Seems like the young black male demo is highly over-represented in the convicted of murder category. but also in the murder victim category. Locally they have been calling this Black-on-Black crime. (personally i think this is poor choice of words). Anyway, we would have to examine the show's episodes but as we already have speculated, the Weson community of Portland seems to be over-represented in the commit murder category. Not sure how many of these murders were Weson on Weson. But if its significant, perhaps some Wesons want to do something about it. And it would be nice to have a Grimm in that group.

Another thought on Chavez. we know she read Trubel's file, but why didn't she read Nick's??!! I think just a cursory glance through his files (and autoposy reports) would raise a bunch of red flags to a knowledgable Weson. And if my idea of a WoW crime fighting group is correct, Nick would be extremely valuable as a member (he has already shown a great amount of success on solving Weson crimes). Plus a non-Weson, non-Grimm cop would be a lot safer to abduct.

Seems like the Wu story line is taking baby steps. He asks hank in ep 2, Nick in ep 3, Renard in ep 4. ........
What's next? Monroe? Lets hope he doesn't ask Elizabeth. (OK, Wu, this is a Hexenbiest).

Grimmster, I don't think you can hold it against Elizabeth that she has Monroe and Rosalie just running around. This is Hexenbiest magic. There is not much they can do to help anyway, so at least she is giving them something to do and feel useful.
Also, was this the first time a Hexenbiest Woged in a sleeve-less dress? Ewwww.

Another thing about Elizabeth is that she appears to be super competent. Especially compared to Adalind. Knows what kind of book she is looking for, knows how to open it, recognizes the spell Adalind used, realizes that she lost her powers, knows how she got them back and the consequences for the baby. Its also another minus on Adalind's GPA that she left that book behind. isn't that a valuable tool for a hexienbiest? Well, maybe she paid another 6 months rent on the locker and kept the key.

Monroe's joke about Thyme was almost funny. But it fit with his character so I liked it.

RE: S4E04 - Dyin' on a Prayer - Grimmster123 - 11-15-2014

@Lou
I agree with you that it's Hexenbiest magic and that there probably isn't much that Monroe and Rosalee can do but I just feel like Elizabeth views them as obstacles in getting this potion done in some ways, if that makes sense. I also just find her character to be a bit boring. I liked when Rosalee and Monroe were rushing around and trying to help Nick out, now with Elizabeth there who knows exactly what she's doing it's not as hectic as it was before and I guess I just miss that aspect of it all.

RE: S4E04 - Dyin' on a Prayer - Elkhound - 11-15-2014

I agree that Adalind's magical education seems to have been neglected. I wonder if her mother kept her isolated from the larger Hexenbeast community and was her only teacher, and deliberately kept her ignorant of certain things?

RE: S4E04 - Dyin' on a Prayer - Gretel Hanselsister - 11-15-2014

Cool episode, cool Golem!

I liked Nick in the kitchen, asking Juliette "Want to get trouble?" A bit ambiguous, I had fun.

Time, and ingredient which can be found next to parsley and sage. I needed some time too, like Elizabeth, but since I finally figured it out, I have Simon and Garfunkel stuck in my head.

What kind of Wesen are Keith and Nate Harrow? I’d say Malin Fatal, but the teeth are not long enough and there’s not enough fur in the face.

[Image: 404wesend8qva.jpg]

Really, really beautiful Synagogue! Altneuschul in Prague, where the Golem-clay came from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_New_Synagogue

Wu still doesn’t know the truth about Trubel. Maybe next episode…

The Adalind-story was kind of stupid, I like your idea @Lou , maybe these talking and crying and flooding wall-faces are only a product of her imagination because of the food Herrmann gave to her.

Good idea to let David stop the Golem himself. It may help him, like Theresa said, to fight back to threads. But did it really work, is the Golem gone for ever? He didn’t use the shem to stop the Golem, he used his action figure.

So, re-grimming Nick is simple. Take Elizabeth’s potion, add Juliette and stir Big Grin.

German words in "Dying on a Prayer"

Wolfsangel
Monroe translated this with "wolf trap".
An "Angel" (no, we’re not talking about inhabitants of heaven) normally is a fishing-rod, but it’s been a word for "trap" too in the past, it lives on in words like "Fußangel" (mantrap).

Mischehen
Like Elizabeth said, it’s the German word for mixed marriages. But how she pronounced it, it sounded like "machine", is funny. Separate it in the middle and speak it as two words. Misch-Ehen.

garen lassen
According to Elizabeth, in a way like "to ferment". Hm, yes, this would be "gären lassen", two important dots above the "a". "gären lassen" (you speak the ä like the "a" in "man") is the procedure how you get alcohol using sugar and yeast. "garen lassen" (an "a" like in "garlic", and this is how Elizabeth speaks it) is something else, it’s to boil something for a time to get it ready for eating. Since she puts her finger into the kettle, I guess it’s not boiling.

RE: S4E04 - Dyin' on a Prayer - wfmyers1207 - 11-15-2014

I really enjoyed this episode. Thought it was very well written and thoughtful. Some of the high points for me were:

- That Truble actually seems to be developing some sense! Alert the media!Big Grin

- It was more procedural and less violent than other episodes. Nice change up.

- I am really beginning to like Elizabeth! Not only is she hot, she is bad to the bone!Tongue

- The whole weeping faces in the walls scene seemed way to Harry Potteresque at first. Then I remembered my military training. For those of you who may not know, isolation, deprivation, psychotropic drugs and false friends are fairly standard torture/interrogation techniques. We were trained to expect and recognize them in case of capture.

The crew definetly need to get Wu on board. Much more of this and he will be working against them.

Oh, is it just me, or has a nice young Jewish boy developed a serious crush on a certain attractive young Grimm.Tongue

RE: S4E04 - Dyin' on a Prayer - Synia - 11-15-2014

I really liked this episode. The case wasn't one for the history books but having already seen the Golem legend used in Supernatural I think I prefer Grimm's take on it. I also appreciated how the case was instrumental to develop Trubel's character. We're starting to peel the layers of what makes her the person she is. I'm hoping people might give her more of a chance as she becomes a more well-rounded character. I loved her in this episode and cheered inside when she told Nick about Chavez. Progress! Maturity! And a long drawn case of miscommunication avoided! I also liked Nick's protectiveness come out with both Trubel and the kid. His body language as he was preparing himself to scare the kid screamed reluctance.

I'm looking forward to the next episode and I'm hoping for a bit more focus on Nick's (and Juliette's) emotional journey as he's faced with the decision to get his Grimmness back or not.

@Lou: good catch on the food! I hadn't thought of it being drugged but now I think you're right. They even put it in the 'previously on Grimm' segment, so it had to be significant.
I was a bit bored with the Vienna scenes to be honest and I'm not sure what they think they're going to obtain by torturing her this way...

@Elkhound: wasn't Adalind involved with two more Hexenbiests who died in the S1 episode where Nick saved her life? Haven't watched it in a long while so I could be wrong. I definitely agree too that her magical education is lacking. I guess Hexenbiests just aren't the sharing type.

(11-14-2014, 08:37 PM)UndercoverGrimm Wrote: Does anyone else mistake Elizabeth as Adalind's mother? They look so much a like.

I do too. I also thought they were purposefully playing it up in the premiere (when they showed her from the back) to keep us guessing.
Speaking of resemblances, sometimes I have to remind myself Nick and Trubel aren't related... even though I'd buy it.

I didn't think the boy was a Grimm because the mother too mentioned a change in the husband, so I dismissed it as a case of drunken Woge. It could have been a cool twist, though. Maybe in the future we'll get something like that. Right now I think they should hold off on more Grimms, at least until our original one gets his mojo back. Cool