Grimm Forum
Insight into the eyes of a Grimm - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Spoilers (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Spoilers)
+---- Forum: Season 4 Spoilers (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-4-Spoilers)
+---- Thread: Insight into the eyes of a Grimm (/Thread-Insight-into-the-eyes-of-a-Grimm)

Pages: 1 2

Insight into the eyes of a Grimm - Grimmster123 - 11-05-2014

Don't know if anyone caught this, but Grimm's Twitter page posted this article from Yahoo TV with an exclusive sneak peek from this week's episode "The Last Fight".

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/-grimm--sneak-peek--nick-eyes-the-future-154717636.html

In the clip Nick goes to the optometrist to get some sort of idea why he's having these splitting headaches and why his vision is being impaired. She notes some possible abnormalities in Nick's eyes that could be how a Grimm is able to see Wesen.

I just thought this was cool and wanted to share it with you guys!

RE: Insight into the eyes of a Grimm - Starfury - 11-06-2014

If the ability to see Wesen is due to a structural abnormality within the eyes of a Grimm, potentially it could mean you could replicate this by technical means. Therefore it seems possible that you could confer this gift to anyone at some point in the future, making Wesen infiltration next to impossible!

RE: Insight into the eyes of a Grimm - Altered Realtity - 11-06-2014

"So, basically I'm a freak?"

Ha! Yep! Sorry Nick, but I think there's a few more things about you than just your eyes that qualify you for that description Big Grin

@Grimmster123 thanks for sharing that.

RE: Insight into the eyes of a Grimm - Grimmster123 - 11-06-2014

@Altered Realtity
Of course! Happy to share any bit of Grimm info with fellow Grimmsters!

@Starfury
That's a very good point, didn't even occur to me that it could be replicated. I suppose that would also involve getting the eyes of a Grimm which could be a particularly daunting task but I suppose it's possible.

RE: Insight into the eyes of a Grimm - wfmyers1207 - 11-06-2014

@Starfury and grimmster123. That was an interesting little tidbit of info. I wonder if Nick is seeing slightly into the infrared or ultraviolet wavelengths? Either way, it seems that someone equipped with military grade vision devices would be able to spot wesen when they woge.

(11-06-2014, 09:07 AM)Grimmster123 Wrote: @Starfury
That's a very good point, didn't even occur to me that it could be replicated. I suppose that would also involve getting the eyes of a Grimm which could be a particularly daunting task but I suppose it's possible.

Not necessarily, if the effect is based on a process caused by the structure of the eye, therefore it is optically based, (there may be additional processing that takes place once the signal goes through the optic nerve into the brain) but it should be possible with current technology to replicate the process technologically. This could prove to be very useful in any fight against the likes of the Verrat.

(11-06-2014, 09:23 AM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: @Starfury and grimmster123. That was an interesting little tidbit of info. I wonder if Nick is seeing slightly into the infrared or ultraviolet wavelengths? Either way, it seems that someone equipped with military grade vision devices would be able to spot wesen when they woge.

Not a bad suggestion, now that you mention it, thermal imaging should be able to pick up the changes. There is clearly a biochemical process occurring when the structure of the Wesen body changes. Therefore it would seem likely you should see a clear temperature differential during the process if you were monitoring them with sensitive enough thermal equipment. So theoretically humanity should already be able to start identifying and probably distinguishing specific wesen types with this or other technologies. Humanity for the win Smile

@Starfury
Well more than likely since a Grimm's powers are transferred hereditarily, you would have to analyze Grimm DNA in order to figure out which gene/s are responsible for producing the extra cone. So you would have to get Grimm DNA in some way, not necessarily an entire eye, it could even be as simple as getting a skin cell. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can't just make something with technology if you don't know what causes it, that's all.

@Starfury and @wfmyers1207
Good point about the military being able to come up with a device allowing regular people to spot wesen, maybe this is the information that the Gedachtnis Esser was trying to gather...Dodgy

(11-06-2014, 09:44 AM)Grimmster123 Wrote: @Starfury
Well more than likely since a Grimm's powers are transferred hereditarily, you would have to analyze Grimm DNA in order to figure out which gene/s are responsible for producing the extra cone. So you would have to get Grimm DNA in some way, not necessarily an entire eye, it could even be as simple as getting a skin cell. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can't just make something with technology if you don't know what causes it, that's all.

I don't disagree with the assertion, however, once you know something exists and is known to work, humanity has this aptitude to replicate it with no direct evidence of how the thing works as a starting basis. A prime example is the cracking of the enigma code, the Allies had no idea how the coding system worked but managed to crack the code anyway. The ability to see a wesen is simply a problem of mechanics, it would appear a probable principle component is a biological structure, irrespective of whether the structure is new or just very unusual within a Grimm's eye it is still a biologically mechanistic process which with research can be replicated by other methods.

@Starfury
No believe me I get what you're saying 100%. I guess I'd just like to think that it's a little bit harder than you have indicated it is but let's be honest it's not. Just makes me wonder why this hasn't been explored on Grimm. If it really is this easy then why aren't the Royals working to try and produce their own Grimms? Now that we've begun discussing this here I think this would be kind of an interesting path for the show to go in in the future.