Grimm Forum
Wesen powers ... - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Wesen powers ... (/Thread-Wesen-powers)

Pages: 1 2

Wesen powers ... - pale boy - 04-28-2013

Spoilers. Spoilers. Spoilers.
There really are spoilers here, so don't proceed if you haven't watched up to episode 2x18 "Vocanalis".

Rampant theory thread ahead.

So, since Adalind is looking for the return of her powers as a Hexenbiest, does that mean that anyone can acquire them? Or can only "former" Wesen regain them?

On that note, does that mean that Wesen were human in the first place? Perhaps they gained their abilities through magic hundreds (or thousands) of years ago?

RE: Wesen powers ... - GrimmForum - 04-28-2013

(04-28-2013, 07:38 PM)pale boy Wrote: Spoilers. Spoilers. Spoilers.
There really are spoilers here, so don't proceed if you haven't watched up to episode 2x18 "Vocanalis".

Rampant theory thread ahead.

So, since Adalind is looking for the return of her powers as a Hexenbiest, does that mean that anyone can acquire them? Or can only "former" Wesen regain them?

On that note, does that mean that Wesen were human in the first place? Perhaps they gained their abilities through magic hundreds (or thousands) of years ago?

Interesting questions. I think only "former" Wesens can regain their powers. And for whether it was because of through magic, I'm not sure... but I do hope the writers explore this. It does seem though that all Wesen are Human... (not too sure about that one in Vocanalis though).

RE: Wesen powers ... - Lou - 04-28-2013

I think maybe Hexenbiests are a different kind of wessen anyway. They don't seem to have an animal counterpart - they are more like witches. and they seem to have magical powers.

and if Grimms could just take Wesson's "powers" away by letting them bite them... I think we would have a very different Grimm history.

RE: Wesen powers ... - FräuleinWunderlich - 04-29-2013

I agree Lou. For me, the hexenbiest in Adalind looked like an indipendent personality.I mean this grey gostlike thing that´s flew out of her as Nick bitten her.Maybe she becomes a new hexenbiestgost in her body.
By the wayBig Grino we know what kind of powers hexenbiests/zauberhexen have? It´s looks like every other Wesen are scared about them and I think not for the point that´s there ugly. And she says incessantly she want her powers back but I can´t remember that she doing something more special then other Wesen.

RE: Wesen powers ... - bookofknowledge - 04-29-2013

(04-29-2013, 11:09 AM)FräuleinWunderlich Wrote: I agree Lou. For me, the hexenbiest in Adalind looked like an indipendent personality.I mean this grey gostlike thing that´s flew out of her as Nick bitten her.Maybe she becomes a new hexenbiestgost in her body.
By the wayBig Grino we know what kind of powers hexenbiests/zauberhexen have? It´s looks like every other Wesen are scared about them and I think not for the point that´s there ugly. And she says incessantly she want her powers back but I can´t remember that she doing something more special then other Wesen.

magic fall madly in love with me cookies

RE: Wesen powers ... - Lou - 04-29-2013

On a related note, I find it interesting that the show pretty much skirts the "magic issue".
So far all the "magic" we have seen come from "potions". Potions COULD be just be "unknown to modern science" concoctions with powerful effects.
And wessons could be just a unknown subspecies of Homo sapiens. Juliette discovered they have a similar but different DNA.
Although the whole, what is the word, where they change and become visible, is hard to explain without magic.
Only LaLorna and Volcanis and Hexenbiests have sort of crossed the "magical" line.

RE: Wesen powers ... - pale boy - 05-02-2013

(04-29-2013, 06:39 PM)Lou Wrote: On a related note, I find it interesting that the show pretty much skirts the "magic issue".
So far all the "magic" we have seen come from "potions". Potions COULD be just be "unknown to modern science" concoctions with powerful effects.
And wessons could be just a unknown subspecies of Homo sapiens. Juliette discovered they have a similar but different DNA.
Although the whole, what is the word, where they change and become visible, is hard to explain without magic.
Only LaLorna and Volcanis and Hexenbiests have sort of crossed the "magical" line.

Vocanilis seems to be elemental based or at least nature based as well.

It did seem that they were going for a more "oh, Wesen are just different types of humanoid creatures" in the beginning, especially with the first season.

But the magic love cookies Adalind gave to Hank (almost forgot about those -- thanks bookofknowledge!) and the potions, along with the seemingly magical cures and remedies and such Rosalee sells all seem to indicate some weird things are going on.

I agree. It's definitely hard to explain without magic.

RE: Wesen powers ... - HellJacket - 05-16-2013

(04-28-2013, 08:06 PM)Lou Wrote: I think maybe Hexenbiests are a different kind of wessen anyway.

I've often speculated that there are two types of wessen, animal-based wessen (e.g., blutbaden, fuchsbau, etc.) and supernatural-based wessen (e.g., hexenbiest, grimm, etc.).

When characters on the show use the term, "wessen," they appear to only be using it for animal-based wessen. This makes sense in the case where Monroe said grimm are not wessen. Royals may also fall under this "supernatural-based" wessen group as well. Though, I've never been able to find any episode where hexenbiest were called "wessen." That would help me confirm the accuracy of this assertion.

One interesting factoid is the case of the spinnetod (i.e., spider-wessen). Monroe said they aren't really considered to be part of the wessen community, or some such phrasing. Therefore, "wessen" may be a "social" construct rather than a simple biological classification. Groups that have joined the "community" are wessen, while groups that hunt down its member (e.g., grimm) are not.

In any case, I'm pretty sure the writers are just making stuff up as they go along and don't have some massive taxonomic classification setup for their world, at least not yet.

(04-29-2013, 06:39 PM)Lou Wrote: So far all the "magic" we have seen come from "potions". Potions COULD be just be "unknown to modern science" concoctions with powerful effects.
And wessons could be just a unknown subspecies of Homo sapiens.

Not true. I would agree with you up until the episode where Adalind loses her hexenbiest nature. However, in that episode, the following happened: a) grimm blood destroyed Adalind's hexenbiest attributes b) which caused a spirit to float out of her and c) Hank was "cured" following the loss of Adalind's hexenbiest nature.

The above cannot be explained by any "science" and many laws of physics were broken through the above events. In particular, Hank being cured by an event that happened miles away can only be explained by "magic" or nanotechnology that is centuries away.

RE: Wesen powers ... - Lou - 05-16-2013

Not sure where this observation should go, but i thought this thread was as good as any.

Have you noticed how many bad kinds of Wesen there are? I mean we love Hank, Rosalee, and Bud - and we see them every week.
But there were those Ziegevolks, they are basically serial rapists. And there are others like the Wendigo, who are - well they aren't really cannibals cause they just eat humans, but you know, they're bad. And there have been all kinds of murderers, bank robbers, kidnappers, drug dealers, assassins, etc.
How lucky was it that just about the first Wesen Nick meets was Monroe. I mean if he hadn't met him he probably would have become just like every other Grimm before him and just went about his business of beheading them. And it was an amazing piece of luck. I bet there aren't very many vegan Blubads in Portland. Smile

RE: Wesen powers ... - HellJacket - 05-17-2013

(05-16-2013, 07:14 PM)Lou Wrote: Have you noticed how many bad kinds of Wesen there are?
In comparing cross-species social mores, this is a tricky observation. I'd rather not think of them as "bad kinds of wessen," but feel it is more appropriate to describe them as "wessen who make poor fits for human society." The vast majority of criminal statutes describe what is and is not acceptable conduct by humans towards other humans. But using Wendigo as an example, regular humans are little more than cattle for their benefit. Is it wrong for a human to have a steak? Then why is it wrong for the Wendigo to eat people (or for a lion to eat antelope)?

What I find problematic for the Wendigo or any "bad wessen," though, is that there is a contradiction in their behavior. They avail themselves of the benefits of regular human society, but then feel they're above the laws of said society. In that regard, I see no problem in Nick going all grimm upon them. This is also why Monroe's behavior is really the only rational alternative for other "bad wessen." If you want to be a clock maker, you can't also be allowed to be an old school blutbad.