Grimm Forum
Adalind's apology - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Adalind's apology (/Thread-Adalind-s-apology)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Adalind's apology - FaceInTheCrowd - 02-09-2017

Anti-heroes can be people who end up doing "the right thing" for the wrong reasons, or people who are willing to step outside the rules to achieve "the right thing."

The archetypical TV hero lawmen were Marshall Dillon and Joe Friday. Never lied, cheated or broke the rules. When's the last time you saw those guys?

RE: Adalind's apology - irukandji - 02-09-2017

(02-09-2017, 10:08 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Anti-heroes can be people who end up doing "the right thing" for the wrong reasons, or people who are willing to step outside the rules to achieve "the right thing."

The archetypical TV hero lawmen were Marshall Dillon and Joe Friday. Never lied, cheated or broke the rules. When's the last time you saw those guys?

Anti-heroes generally do not have ideals or morality or even courage. They do what they want for themselves, whether it be right or wrong. If it's right, they generally profit. If it's wrong they get away with it.

I never watched Dragnet so I cannot comment on Joe Friday, but I have watched Gunsmoke. I don't consider Matt Dillon a hero. He's a lawman and follows the law. I think he's a good man but being a lawman doesn't make him heroic.

Clint Eastwood as the man with no name is a great example of an anti-hero.

RE: Adalind's apology - FaceInTheCrowd - 02-09-2017

I don't think any of today's TV heroes would qualify for the title by the standards of 60s TV.

RE: Adalind's apology - syscrash - 02-09-2017

Quote:I don't think any of today's TV heroes would qualify for the title by the standards of 60s TV.
There is nothing about current TV that would conform to 60 TV. On I love lucy they could not even sleep in the same bed. No way would characters have even been eluded to having sex and not be married. The hero never kills the criminal. Cowboys where all good. The indians where always the bad guy. There was no such thing as interracial relationships. What was crazy was these attitudes where not indicative of the times. That is what I find great about current TV. People complain about the lack of morals on Grimm. Yet Grimm imitates the norm of a majority of society. We know these are norms based on voting practices that support a lot of the things we see. For me and a lot like me. there is not such thing as the good old days.

I say hurrah for the demise of the old hero stereo type.

RE: Adalind's apology - Hell Rell - 02-09-2017

I always use I Love Lucy and shows of that era as an example whenever someone talks about T being too PC nowadays. My reaction is always "Are you kidding me?" Most of those shows didn't tackle serious issues and if they did it would be in a light-hearted way.

I disagree about anti-heroes not generally not having morality or courage. Depending on who you ask, Batman is considered an anti-hero by a lot of people because he acts outside of the law and uses some pretty extreme methods to save the day. His one rule is constantly used to show how close he comes to being corrupted and becoming a dredge on society.

RE: Adalind's apology - izzy - 02-09-2017

(02-09-2017, 02:12 PM)rpmaluki Wrote: Grimms are loners

Or just such frickin' a-holes no one wants to be around them.

(02-09-2017, 10:08 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: The archetypical TV hero lawmen were Marshall Dillon... Never lied, cheated or broke the rules.

You must not have been a Gunsmoke fan. Dillon did all the time if he had sympathy for the character. More so in the old black and white episodes when Denis Weaver played Chester.

(02-09-2017, 09:47 PM)irukandji Wrote: Anti-heroes are different from heroes. Anti-heroes do not possess qualities that are natural to heroes. Heroes do not aspire to become anti-heroes any more than anti-heroes aspire to become heroes.

Good examples of anti-heroes: Steve McQueen as Reese in Hell is for Heroes and Humphrey Bogart as Rick in Casablanca.

RE: Adalind's apology - speakeasy - 02-10-2017

Grimm is a show that metaphorically portrays the problems that occur in a real society when folks are living in a period of historical transition, such as is the case in America. We have concentrated on constitutionally guaranteeing the civil rights of all minorities in recent years. Most Americans are members of some or other minority group today. I'm heartened to see this. But it's created a terrible divide in the country (HW vs BC in Grimm) which is the painful result of the rebirth of the concept of equality, imo. This is sad, but I believe art imitates life on Grimm.

If I lost most posters so far, this opinion holds no water. But I'll finish anyway. Languages are living things; a descriptive meaning of a particular word evolves, or at least changes as times passes, to suit the times. If that premise is accepted as valid, then what describes a hero must change. In my view, Nick is indeed a contemporary hero. That he's heroic is one of the few consistencies the show has kept to over the years.

RE: Adalind's apology - irukandji - 02-10-2017

(02-09-2017, 11:44 PM)izzy Wrote:
(02-09-2017, 02:12 PM)rpmaluki Wrote: Grimms are loners

Or just such frickin' a-holes no one wants to be around them.

This made me laugh.

RE: Adalind's apology - jsgrimm45 - 02-10-2017

The posts on this last pages got away from Adalind's apology somewhat, into a anti hero and a true hero. Which is an interesting debate, but (you all knew there would be a but) IMO no TV character or movie character can be either. One of the post uses the word fiction that is the key word for all movies and TV. They are fiction, as such the viewer makes the hero or anti hero.

Now again IMO only real life can make a hero, in real life there are very very few real anti heros. A police officer or fireman who saves someone hero, a soldier on a battlefield is a hero just by being there. Being a hero doesn't make the man a good or bad man or woman just their actions at the time makes them a hero. A person helping out the homeless with food or blankets a hero. So heros come in all shape and size but not in TV series of movies. This as always it just my 2 cents for the forum to do whatever it wants or thinks about the post. These are only my views.

RE: Adalind's apology - brandon - 02-10-2017

Walt disney made a great company,according to rumors was anticommunist
And could have revealed who it was.The government will have considered it a hero for it.And the other people who?