Grimm Forum
ABC wanted to cancel Agents of SHIELD but.... - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Television Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Television-Forum)
+--- Forum: TV Shows (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-TV-Shows)
+---- Forum: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Agents-of-S-H-I-E-L-D)
+---- Thread: ABC wanted to cancel Agents of SHIELD but.... (/Thread-ABC-wanted-to-cancel-Agents-of-SHIELD-but)

Pages: 1 2

RE: ABC wanted to cancel Agents of SHIELD but.... - Hell Rell - 09-30-2017

I"m really glad Disney stepped in here and saved the show. Its quality warranted somebody stepping up for it. There aren't many shows on TV that I wanted to return more than AoS. Of the shows I watched, I would only put Westworld, The Night Of, and Rick and Morty ahead of it. That means that AoS is a great show and absolutely kicks ass for a broadcast network show. I think only The Good Place and The Mick came close but those were only in their first seasons.

That being said, I would've been greatly disappointed but I'm not going to condemn ABC for wanting to cancel it. Those ratings were quite bad and they shouldn't feel obligated to keep it on despite my enjoyment of the show. I had the same opinion when NBC gave Community two extra shortened seasons before it pulled the plug and that is one of my favorite shows of all-time.

Furthermore, I'm of the same opinion about Grimm. I would've liked to see Powerless get more of a chance rather than Grimm get another season. I wanted a full final season but six seasons of Grimm is fine with me. Anyone who watched Smallville should know better than to want a show to continue forever and ever. I never could've imagined Grimm lasting this long when it premiered.

RE: ABC wanted to cancel Agents of SHIELD but.... - Hell Rell - 02-22-2018

Are there any theories into why Disney forced ABC to keep the show?

RE: ABC wanted to cancel Agents of SHIELD but.... - rpmaluki - 02-22-2018

(02-22-2018, 08:06 AM)Hell Rell Wrote: Are there any theories into why Disney forced ABC to keep the show?

I've heard people theories that someone at ABC doesn't actually want any Marvel/superhero shows but Disney overruled them by saving AoS and giving one more season. Who knows what will happen next.

RE: ABC wanted to cancel Agents of SHIELD but.... - FaceInTheCrowd - 02-22-2018

AoS is pretty much the only Marvel series that has run longer than a single season, and 100-120 episodes is considered the "magic number" for a successful post-broadcast life in streaming or DVD sales. So in Disney's eyes having ABC bring in less advertiser money on a low-ratings 5th and 6th season is probably worth it if it helps boost sales of seasons 1-4 on Amazon, Netflix or disc.

It's pretty much the same formula that got Grimm a 5th and 1/2 of a sixth season. Grimm was produced by Universal Television, and Universal and the NBC network are both owned by Comcast.

Netflix currently has more subscribers in the US than all the US cable carriers combined. Throw in other streaming services like Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc., and we are trending toward a time when traditional network TV shows will just be very long commercials for upcoming products available for sale on streaming digital. CBS just dipped its toe into this business model by showing the first two episodes of Star Trek: Discovery on broadcast and then making the rest of the series available only on its paid CBS All Access streaming service.

I suppose that's a good explanation as any I can think of at the moment. I didn't think about syndication.

I still wonder if there will be any effects of Infinity War on the show despite not having as much of a connection anymore. It would hard to ignore the biggest battle there's ever been.

RE: ABC wanted to cancel Agents of SHIELD but.... - irukandji - 02-22-2018

Agents of Shield is already in syndication. We have around 10 retro television stations on cable here in our town. Agents of Shield has been playing on one of them for about a year and a half now.

I know some shows go into syndication after season 3 but I think the magic number I usually hear hovers around 88 which equates to four full seasons. Having a season of more episodes help even if the show is already in syndication. I think that's especially true for a show that features serialized storytelling such as AoS.

RE: ABC wanted to cancel Agents of SHIELD but.... - FaceInTheCrowd - 02-22-2018

100 was the traditional number for "stripped" syndication, because it allowed for a four week run of M-F broadcasts. DVD and streaming sales have brought that number down to 88 in recent years, especially overseas, where viewers are used to shorter series, but the more you have the better, and you definitely do not want a series to just end without a series finale or worse, on a cliffhanger.

Success in syndication can sometimes result in demand for additional episodes, so often a series still in production will go into syndication on cable or streaming. Amazon has the exclusive US streaming rights to Grimm, and while the series was still current would let its Prime members view past seasons "free" and charge for episodes of the most recent season.