Grimm Forum

Full Version: TNT The Last Ship
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone else plan on watching the premier tonight? And would you care to discuss it later?
Just watched the premiere. All in all, not bad. This show has some real potential I think. Guess we'll see.Smile
I spaced this one due to business. Whoops. I'll have to catch up with it on TV (or hopefully the channel has that online!)

So, what is the show like in terms of tone? Is it really dark?
(06-22-2014, 09:08 PM)pale boy Wrote: [ -> ]I spaced this one due to business. Whoops. I'll have to catch up with it on TV (or hopefully the channel has that online!)

So, what is the show like in terms of tone? Is it really dark?

Yes, its dark. Post apocalypse and all that. Lots of action in the first episode.

Update: TNT has the pilot available for streaming on their web site. Hope you like it.Smile
I haven't posted about this show for a couple of weeks. But, after having just watched the 3rd episode, I rather like it. It has a lot of action, and the general story line is interesting.

The only problem that most people will have with it, I think, is that its military based. The characters tend to be 2 dimensional. Now, speaking as an old veteran, we have lives besides the one in uniform, but given the premise of this show that's rather difficult to portray. This is post apocalypse, hard to have a family life when everyone else is dead! Tongue

All in all, not bad.Smile
This is a case of having to make a clear allowance for the overall initial plot construction. I really dislike criticism of a show based on the premise, it isn't constructive. You see/read about a pilot get a feel for the premise and then based on how the plot and characters develop you can then make judgements and criticize the show based on that. In the case of The Last Ship, post apocalyptic setting, military based, therefore to initially criticize the show for lacking non military stories would be very unfair. Now if 10 to 15 episodes in, it is still flash, bang and boom and they still fail to address any non military, inter personal stuff then that criticism becomes a much more valid response.

Ultimately if you don't like the premise of a show don't watch, find something you like and enjoy that, don't troll and spoil the enjoyment of the rest of the shows fandom simply because you don't have anything better to do Sad
I agree with you on this Starfury. Never understood people who watch a show they say the hate just to criticize it on some troll scroll.

As to expanding the overall storyline and making it a fuller more humanistic one, I can see that happening after the crew and the good doctor manage to create a vaccine.

In a post-apocalypse world where half, or more, of the population is dead. Governments no longer exist and infrastructure no longer functions. Who do you contact and coordinate with? How do you even let people know a vaccine is available? Where do you set up operations to try and help the survivors? What is life like for those who still survive?

All these things could lead to some really fascinating, and very human stories, if handled properly. I hope the shows production staff and writers do just that.Smile
As with any new show, we live in hope. My only real qualm is 'Michael Bay' who can suck the good out of just about anything he looks at Sad Here's hoping he is simply a name on the marquee to draw viewers in and decent writers are allowed time to develop a decent story with depth and pathos.
So far, Bay doesn't seem to have much to do with the show's production. The programs IMDb page doesn't list him as having any directing or writing credits. So I think his name is there for marquee value only.
(07-08-2014, 11:31 AM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: [ -> ]So far, Bay doesn't seem to have much to do with the show's production. The programs IMDb page doesn't list him as having any directing or writing credits. So I think his name is there for marquee value only.

Seriously lets hope, it stays that way, the man has already managed to destroy one of my fasvourite animated shows, appears to be involved in horrifically torturing another one to death as we speak (isn't there a Geneva convention for this or something, let's call the Hague Confused), why the man is still allowed to make movies is beyond my understanding, but every time he puts out a movie and it makes a ton of money I despair for humanity, watching one of his movies sucks at least 50 iQ points from the viewer Sad
Pages: 1 2