Grimm Forum

Full Version: S02E03 - Bad Moon Rising
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Season 2 Episode 3
Bad Moon Rising

Air Date: August 27, 2012

Synopsis: Hank helps an old friend whose daughter is missing, while Nick investigates the motives involved in the girl's disappearance.

What are your thoughts on tonight's rewatch episode?
OK, very best thing about this episode, Hank finally finds out what is going on.
Other than that, really not so much.

I mean, what was the deal with the shoot out at the well? Why didn't Hank and Nick draw their weapons and return fire? I know it's a plot device, but still, even when I saw it for the first time I was like: Why aren't they returning fire!!!??? They could have gotten the girl behind the cover of the stone well casing. But they take her to this run down barn that a crappy .22 caliber round could penetrate.

I've also wondered why the characters of father and daughter haven't returned to the series yet. They are supposed to be intimate friends of Hank. He's her godfather, after all. I don't know about other denominations, but among Catholics that is important. If anything happens to the biological parents, godfathers and godmothers are obligated to raise the child as their own. They swear this at the child's baptism.

The characters just disappeared. WUWT??Huh I really thought they would be back at some point.
In this episode, Mark Pellegrino plays an actual good guy. Whud a shock. Big Grin I keed, I keed. (Just a little.) I actually really like this episode. It has the wesen creepiness I expect -- Coyotl fertility ickiness is a check there. Hank finally knows that he isn't crazy, which shakes up the show in a nice way. Nick, Rosalee, and Monroe will no longer be the only ones working on 'Wesen stuff' now, and this denotes the first time a major human viewpoint character also knows about the wide, wide world of wesen. It was also focused on Hank a lot, which, honestly, I don't think we get enough of. Hank needs more fandom appreciation because he's pretty darn fantastic. This is a normal guy who manages to hold his own against what most regular people would probably call monsters. And he can't even see what they are most the time.

Watching this episode again gives me a new appreciate for the Juliette storyline. Adalind managed to go after Nick in a way that stung, not to mention imparting something that had lasting effects (and damage) on Juliette. Spoilers for Season 3:

Spoiler :
Plus, this entire plot has a ripple effect in the next season, so it continues to be relevant. Perhaps that is part of the reason it is more interesting to me now. I'm glad it wasn't forgotten about.

(06-06-2014, 06:08 PM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: [ -> ]The characters just disappeared. WUWT??Huh I really thought they would be back at some point.

Yeah, it's a tad weird that Hank hasn't even as much as mentioned someone who is apparently one of his oldest friends. And Pellegrino is awesome -- dude needs more than just bit parts, seriously, he's fantastic -- so I'm always up for seeing more of him on television. The Coyotl were also weird and terrible, so they're basically perfect as a "go-to" group of bad guy wesen. Specifically the bizarre hick type. Tongue
(06-06-2014, 06:08 PM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: [ -> ]I've also wondered why the characters of father and daughter haven't returned to the series yet.
The daughter could be away at college most of the time now. Hank and Gerald don't seem to have kept in touch all that often before this episode, and Gerald is doing his best to forget the whole Wesen side of life -- didn't even think about the aseveracion as a possible reason for his daughter's disappearance -- so when Hank talks to him now, it's probably not about Wesen stuff.
Like everybody else said, why hasn't Jarold appeared again. I'm guessing he will some time again, hopefully.

Anyways, I like the transition from the last episode to this one. Last one was focused a lot on Nick, and had the highest body count of any episode. This one focused a lot on Hank, and had nobody dying. I also find Coyotls creepy in their own way. Inbreeeding? Yuk! I am greatly disturbed by that. Also, would Jarold be considered a Weider Coyotl, since he wants no part in the ritual?

Hank's reactions and his eventual "moment of truth" are by far one of my favourite things about the episode. I loved it when Carly just went into full woge, Hank tried to shoot her, and Nick talked him out of it. However, my question is, why did Carly go into full woge? I guess that when things become too stressful Wesen will full woge. In addition, I noticed in the trailer a scene where Hank calmly goes "what just happened?" And Nick responds "I can explain." Was that the original scene where Carly woged? If so, then I'm glad they changed it, because the final version was a lot of realistic and intense.

A few other highlights:
- Monroe: "Well, Nick, when a mommy Coyotl and a daddy Coyotl love each other very much..."
- Hank: "Coyotl, right Nick?" Nick: "That's the second one today."
- Renard: "Yeah, she (Adalind) was one of the lawyers we had to protect, very pretty." I just love the fact that Renard says that and is telling the truth, but not all of it.
(06-06-2014, 10:02 PM)pale boy Wrote: [ -> ]In this episode, Mark Pellegrino plays an actual good guy. Whud a shock. Big Grin I keed, I keed. (Just a little.) I actually really like this episode. It has the wesen creepiness I expect -- Coyotl fertility ickiness is a check there. Hank finally knows that he isn't crazy, which shakes up the show in a nice way. Nick, Rosalee, and Monroe will no longer be the only ones working on 'Wesen stuff' now, and this denotes the first time a major human viewpoint character also knows about the wide, wide world of wesen. It was also focused on Hank a lot, which, honestly, I don't think we get enough of. Hank needs more fandom appreciation because he's pretty darn fantastic. This is a normal guy who manages to hold his own against what most regular people would probably call monsters. And he can't even see what they are most the time.

Watching this episode again gives me a new appreciate for the Juliette storyline. Adalind managed to go after Nick in a way that stung, not to mention imparting something that had lasting effects (and damage) on Juliette. Spoilers for Season 3:

Spoiler :
Plus, this entire plot has a ripple effect in the next season, so it continues to be relevant. Perhaps that is part of the reason it is more interesting to me now. I'm glad it wasn't forgotten about.

(06-06-2014, 06:08 PM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: [ -> ]The characters just disappeared. WUWT??Huh I really thought they would be back at some point.

Yeah, it's a tad weird that Hank hasn't even as much as mentioned someone who is apparently one of his oldest friends. And Pellegrino is awesome -- dude needs more than just bit parts, seriously, he's fantastic -- so I'm always up for seeing more of him on television. The Coyotl were also weird and terrible, so they're basically perfect as a "go-to" group of bad guy wesen. Specifically the bizarre hick type. Tongue

Another thing I didn't care for much was the "bizarre hick type" cliche used by the writer's in this episode. Most of the really dangerous cults started out in large cities.

Jim Jones - San Francisco
David Koresh - Houston
Charles Manson - Los Angeles
Heaven's Gate - San Diego

Doesn't seem like it's the "bizarre hick type" that people should be wary of.Dodgy
Sorry, I'm late! Was caught over the weekend with felt million other things to do ...

Carly, Hank's goddaughter, gets missing. No one has seen her since last night. Nick's suspicion, it could be Wesen-related, turns out as the right lead and brings both detectives on the path of a gang of Coyotl, who are planning an ancient ritual. Meanwhile Juliette is still at the hospital, and it turns out that she is pretty fine and remembers everything - except Nick ...

My personal opinion the weakest episode of season 2. My heart is bleeding telling this because two guest-stars are on my favourite list: Mark Pelegrino, who's playing Carly's father, and John Pyper-Ferguson, who's Hayden. But, ya know, I've issues with Hank and having him in the center of the episode can pretty easy end as an overkill for me ...

Way not enough Monroe in this episode. And I still think his comment about the full moon is weird after he told in season 1 the full moon wouldn't have any effect on him (big liar! We saw the effect during the pilot), now he states he will stick inside for the night. But also the best line in the episode:

"Well, Nick, when Mommy Coyotl and Daddy Coyotl love each other very much ..." I still laugh out loud about this one.

Nick does this time a better job with telling Hank than he did in the season finale with Juliette (and I still think it would have been best if she would have never really remembered THAT scene). But what other chance he has? Hank is about to kill his own goddaughter, there's no stepping back from it.

Also, hurt Nick at the hospital with Juliette is heartbreaking for me. They are so cute together on screen (a lot more than on Caroline And Jackie, and there they were cute too). I like how Bitsie plays this here. Juliette has a bad conscience for not remembering Nick, and somehow I think she doesn't trust him anymore - but that's maybe me. I love this little scene with the hands so much when Nick tries to touch Juliette and she moves her hand away from his. This is such a small gesture but has such a huge effect! Well done!

Hank on the edge. To be honest, they had to do something. Bringing him in the loop was one possibility of two (let him snap like they did with Wu would have been the second). Russell's acting is good and experienced as always. No meaning. And personally I would have loved to see Carly and her dad back as they are still so far the only "out of duty" connection for Hank we have seen.

Another thing that's bothering me since season 1 is that Grimm seem to have another sense of smell than normal beings, not to talk about Wesen (that lesson is well learned). In Organ Grinder was Nick the last who reacted to the smell in the greenhouse but was the first one in, here he looks at the rotting cadaver of the dogs and only reacts after he'd seen how much affected Hank is. Maybe that makes sense when you think of the the (later setting in) super-powers? I mean, beside the fact that Grimm have a tendency to become VERY self-confident (and in Nick's case ignorant) they have to have some weaknesses. Maybe that's it? Maybe they loose the sense of smell? Could explain why Kelly's odor seems so all over the place everytime she shows up (beside that you barely smell your own smell).

Another underused character is Wu, Rosalee doesn't show up at all (we remember, Bree was still pregnant and would leave soon to give birth), also Renard, who's barely showing up. But the episode feels complete, has an ending (Hank in the loop, Juliette at home again, Nick will now start to sleep on the couch).

Overall I like the episode, compared with the ones from another season I LOVE it. It's well written, well executed and well filmed/acted. There are so many small stuff you simply fall for when you watch it more often. All the small details that made the early seasons so great. Nontheless not the best episode, but a good one.
(06-07-2014, 12:49 PM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: [ -> ]Another thing I didn't care for much was the "bizarre hick type" cliche used by the writer's in this episode. Most of the really dangerous cults started out in large cities.

Jim Jones - San Francisco
David Koresh - Houston
Charles Manson - Los Angeles
Heaven's Gate - San Diego

Doesn't seem like it's the "bizarre hick type" that people should be wary of.Dodgy

There have been recent issues in the Southwest where I live with a lot of ... well, I'd call them 'backwoods types' if the deserts here had more trees. So the cliche is a bit truth in television sometimes. Mostly, the creepy traditional Coyotl reminded me of a certain 'fundamentalist' LDS groups that have been in the news in the past few decades. (But my mind just jumps to more local/regional stories out of habit.)
Just in time before it's time for the next episode I finally catch up.
I love this episode! Season 2 is just great.
I feel deeply sorry for Nick standing at Juliette's bed in the hospital.
Nobody dies in this episode, but imo the coyotls are as cruel as the mauvais dentes. Poor girl!
Hank and his therapist - this episode is very emotional, that's Gretel-stuff Big Grin

Nice Monroe-lines, and I like Nick saying to Hank "A Grimm. It's sort of a family problem."
(06-12-2014, 12:37 PM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: [ -> ]Just in time before it's time for the next episode I finally catch up.
I love this episode! Season 2 is just great.
I feel deeply sorry for Nick standing at Juliette's bed in the hospital.
Nobody dies in this episode, but imo the coyotls are as cruel as the mauvais dentes. Poor girl!
Hank and his therapist - this episode is very emotional, that's Gretel-stuff Big Grin

Nice Monroe-lines, and I like Nick saying to Hank "A Grimm. It's sort of a family problem."

I agree that this episode was a very good one. In fact, if it had not been for the Juliette amnesia storyline, this would have been the best season of Grimm so far.

Also liked that no one was killed in this episode. Shows that a good story does not need a high body count to be dramatic. One of the problems I have with many newer sci-fi and horror films/tv shows is that seem to find it necessary to splatter gore all over the place to make it scary. Good writing doesn't need that. IMAO.
Pages: 1 2