Grimm Forum

Full Version: Orphan Black
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Another one of those shows that I discovered by accident. It just started its second season and I think I caught an ad or a press release. Curious, so I went and checked out the first episode of season 1. Last night while waiting for Grimm, I watched the second episode.
Its science fiction - but present day. And the science part is pretty much isolated to the premise of the story. Likable main character with a mysterious ( to the viewers) background. Good opportunity for regular background reveals in each episode. Big, season - long, story mystery arc, and little episode- long, mysteries/obstacles, should do nicely to keep the pacing and interest level high.
@Lou -- Ah, I've heard of this show, the one with the *spoilers incoming*
Spoiler :
clones, correct?

It's one of those shows I keep missing, and I even have BBC America, on which it's currently airing. Hm, interesting that it's low on the science fiction. I like stories that can do that well: have a premise and build a natural story around it.

Do you mind PM'ing me on where you watched it?
I'm surprised I never added anything to this thread. Since my last post I have watched all of Season 1 and 2. They are short seasons, just 10 episodes. This is one of my favorite all time TV shows now. and depending on how season 3 goes, it may be my #1 favorite currently running TV show.
Anyway, Season 3 starts on Saturday night, BBC America, 9PM.

Here is the trailer for Season 3.

You really need to watch this show in order. I think some TV channels are running Orphan Black Marathons, so you can DVR season one and two and hang on to season 3 till you catch up.

Also this web page lists most of the places you can get Season one and Two.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/orphan-black/w...han-black/

My local library even has the DVDs. BBC did have all the episodes online - but I think they took it down

Just a little more about the show....

Orphan Black just has 10 episodes per season, so its probably not fair to compare it to Grimm. But one of my biggest complaints about Grimm has been the pacing. it felt like forever for Nick to tell hank, to tell Juliette, to tell Wu. It seemed like forever that Juliette was in a coma.
In contrast, the pacing of Orphan Black is lightning fast. For instance if Adalind was in Orphan Black, and inevitable betrayal led to her capture and dungeon imprisonment, at the end of an episode. Then, by the end of the next episode, she would have masterminded a clever escape (with diagrams!), enacted a daring rescue of her daughter, and stabbed Victor in his eye with a pencil.
Three episodes in and this season is looking pretty good.