Grimm Forum

Full Version: Continuum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Continuum starts its 3rd season on Syfy network in a few months.
When this show first came out, i totally skipped it. For the most part, i'm done with cop shows. (strangely I keep saying that and then shows like Grimm make me take it back - but as you guys know, Grimm is not your typical cop show)

Anyway, at some point I had heard enough good things about the show that i decided to check it out via DVDs at my public library.

I think i was immediately hooked and last night I watched the last episode of the 2nd season. Big cliffhanger.

If you haven't heard of this show, basically its Time Travel With Cops.
However it is not Time Cop. Its more like a Star Trek episode.

I happen to be a big big fan of time travel movies and books and sometimes I can be a little critical if the writers don't respect the rules that they define for their own universe. but these guys have not only done a great job keeping the "physics" consistent (or at least unknown), they have even allowed the characters to talk about some of the problems with time travel. They even had an episode which involved grandmothers.

For those of us with more "base" qualities. the eye candy on the show is excellent. The main character is gorgeous, and I'm no expert but I think the best word to describe her partner on the police force is "hunky".

It also has some teenagers, so it probably has appeal to teenagers.

On the sci fi level it has lots of gadgets, flash forwards to 2077, and of course time travel.

on a higher level, it provides some talking points regarding our current political/economic/ environmental situation. (in 2077 there is no fossil fuel and very little clean water. )

on the cop level, at least one good shoot out or fist fight per show. Plus there are lots of little mysteries and big mysteries involved with the show

I'm a big fan of dialogue and the show is very well written.

the thing that makes me like a show or not is the characters. You could have a legitimate complaint that there are too many characters. I think some people could find the number of characters confusing. But one of my favorite things is the "blurred lines". (oh great, now that song is playing in my head). All of the characters seem to have multi-faceted personalities. No one appears to be all good or all bad. and most of the main characters are frequently faced with morality dilemmas and tough choices. In fact, "choice" seems to be the theme of the show.

So, check it out and let me know what you think.

oh, don't confuse it with the other "continuum" on tv.
http://youtu.be/lk_UElPrW6A
Continuum just started its 3rd season on Showcase in Canada and I got to watch the first episode of season 3.
They really changed the pace and the goals of the characters of the show right off. So far I like it. I guess after 2 seasons they must have been worried about getting stale and plowing the same ground.
I still recommend it highly.
I've watched the first two seasons. I think the 3rd doesn't start in the US until April, but I'm looking forward to it. The 2nd Season ended in a big way. My favorite part of the show is probably the moral choices of the characters versus what they think they are in their heads.

Kiera tends to believe she's just doing her job and that Liber8 is a bunch of stone cold psychopaths without a leg to stand on -- at first. (She's not wrong about the "stone cold psychos" part, just the bit about them not having a few good points on how lousy the future is.) Carlos is an idealist in a setting where idealism isn't really a viable way to exist, so naturally he has to live with compromising his ideals ... and in some cases, completely leaving behind rules in order to be good. Despite his age, Alec has a lot of complexity as a character, and this is due in part to his future self and decisions. There is a definite chance he can go a lot darker -- or completely change the future. My favorite has to be Kellogg. Just a weasel of a character, materialistic, but also the most honest about what he wants from life. That is, when he isn't lying through his teeth. Two of the antagonists, Sonya and Travis, are no less complex. Liber8 and its inner power struggles have been crazy to watch.

I've probably over-analyzed this here, but I don't care. Angel
The show begs to be over-analyzed.
Kudos to the writers for creating such a complex story. I bet it has alienated some viewers by being too complicated. but i love it.
S 01 E01, Kierra: and this is Kellog, if his lips are moving you can be sure he is lying.

The moral dilemmas and the unfolding backstories are some of my favorite things.

I've only seen S3 E1 so far (i'm cheating and catching it online from Canada - can't wait till it hist syfy), but the writers are pretty much changing everything. Might be good for freshness but I think it might also upset some fans.
@Lou -- Really, I don't see how anything on the show can stay the same after what happened in Season 2. Completely look forward to my mind being blown.
Is anyone watching this show this season?
I watched all of last season but wasn't sure I wanted to continue. Got thru the first episode of Season 4 and I thought they had lost it.
Anyone want to encourage me to give it another chance?