Grimm Forum

Full Version: Why is it that Nick, Hank, and Wu want to work for Renard so badly?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(05-04-2018, 04:09 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2017, 05:46 AM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote: [ -> ]Why does Hank, Wu and Nick want to work for backstabbing Sean in 603?

I saw someone taking a look at this this morning. This is a very interesting question. Juliette sleeps with Sean and is labeled all kinds of things. These guys not only work for Sean, but get fired and fight viciously to work for him again! So what would the labels be for men who obviously want very badly to work for.....what was it he was called.......Sleazy Sean?

I know this story element was simply added to further the story along and nothing more.

But from a character perspective, if you believe Nick to be the true and good hero of the story, along with sidekicks Hank and Wu, why would any of them fight so hard and so viciously to work for Sean? It seems a strange crusade for these men who hate him so much.
(04-18-2019, 04:18 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2018, 04:09 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2017, 05:46 AM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote: [ -> ]Why does Hank, Wu and Nick want to work for backstabbing Sean in 603?

I saw someone taking a look at this this morning. This is a very interesting question. Juliette sleeps with Sean and is labeled all kinds of things. These guys not only work for Sean, but get fired and fight viciously to work for him again! So what would the labels be for men who obviously want very badly to work for.....what was it he was called.......Sleazy Sean?

I know this story element was simply added to further the story along and nothing more.

But from a character perspective, if you believe Nick to be the true and good hero of the story, along with sidekicks Hank and Wu, why would any of them fight so hard and so viciously to work for Sean? It seems a strange crusade for these men who hate him so much.
Survivers. They have good paying jobs in their chosen field, they would probably have to move a long way to get another job at close to their current level, they think they can keep him in the dark and work around him, all their trusted wessen contacts and friends are in Portland, for starters.
Too is that they can close the cases without problems and without being questioned.
(04-18-2019, 07:24 AM)eric Wrote: [ -> ]Survivers. They have good paying jobs in their chosen field, they would probably have to move a long way to get another job at close to their current level, they think they can keep him in the dark and work around him, all their trusted wessen contacts and friends are in Portland, for starters.

Yes, Nick, Wu, and Hank could be looking at themselves as survivors. But while that may be the case, Renard may be looking at himself as a survivor as well. Also in his favor, he's still the captain. All he has to do is break up the Nick/Hank partnership and transfer Wu somewhere else, and leave Nick bereft.

On the other hand, he could simply tie Nick to a desk job for the rest of his life as well.

(04-18-2019, 07:55 AM)brandon Wrote: [ -> ]Too is that they can close the cases without problems and without being questioned.

They might not have to. Someone is able to figure that the cases are somehow wesen related. All Renard has to do is make sure Nick never gets another wesen related case, ever.
In the strange parallel universe Portland of Grimm, it seems that all the Homicide detectives work out of one precinct and they all report to Renard, whose position appears to be directly below the mayor (as opposed to the real-life Portland where each precinct has its own detectives reporting to captains who report to commanders, deputy chiefs and a chief). So I guess the only way for them be detectives and not have to report to Renard would be for them to give up being Homicide and transfer to Robbery or Vice.
We don't really know since we don't know how many precincts the fictional city of Portland carried. Our city has four at present with plans for a fifth and possibly a sixth due to complaints about response time in some areas of the city. I would imagine even the fictional Portland would have more than four, given the amount of wesen crime that Renard talks about.

I know this was part of the story line that these three made it back on the force in order to further the story along, but to stay in their current positions rather than transfer to another precinct seems like another example of under developed characters.
Real-life Portland has three precincts: Central, North and East. Grimm's South Precinct appears to be a stand-in for Central.

If Nick, Hank and Wu still distrust Renard - and why wouldn't they - staying in his unit positions them to keep watch on him. Official ranks notwithstanding, we never saw a single S06 scene in which they took any direction from. him. My guess is that Renard's laptop in the hands of HW provided them with the leverage to enforce a truce and they just stayed out of each others' way.
(04-18-2019, 07:28 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-18-2019, 07:24 AM)eric Wrote: [ -> ]Survivers. They have good paying jobs in their chosen field, they would probably have to move a long way to get another job at close to their current level, they think they can keep him in the dark and work around him, all their trusted wessen contacts and friends are in Portland, for starters.

Yes, Nick, Wu, and Hank could be looking at themselves as survivors. But while that may be the case, Renard may be looking at himself as a survivor as well. Also in his favor, he's still the captain. All he has to do is break up the Nick/Hank partnership and transfer Wu somewhere else, and leave Nick bereft.

On the other hand, he could simply tie Nick to a desk job for the rest of his life as well.

(04-18-2019, 07:55 AM)brandon Wrote: [ -> ]Too is that they can close the cases without problems and without being questioned.

They might not have to. Someone is able to figure that the cases are somehow wesen related. All Renard has to do is make sure Nick never gets another wesen related case, ever.

Firstly, in episode 3x6 (when Nick is Renard) Nick tells Renard that he will make his life hell if he doesn’t apply to his demands. He will start appearing in public as Renard and make him look completely crazy. With two hexenbiests on Nick’s side, Renard have no reason to doubt Nicks threats. In addition, Nick has Renard's laptop.

Secondly, Nick is a public hero after leading the undercover operation. To remove Nick from his position could have the press start to ask a lot of questions.

Thirdly, we have the Adalind /Diana issue. I guess it’s not in Renard’s interest to have Diana move farther away – and Adalind seems to be the one with the biggest influence on Diana.

Fourthly, as long as he is captain, it is in Renard’s interest to have a Grimm. He wanted to get rid of Nick when Nick stood in his way, but in season 6, BC is gone and Renard’s career partly depends on the work of the detectives. Grimm’s doesn’t exactly grow on trees. From the start of season 1, Renard is shown to have a strong interest in having a Grimm on his team.

As for Nick, he is not taking any orders from Renard in season 6. They are hardly talking to each other. Nick probably wants to stay close to Renard to keep an eye on him. As one of the last Grimms, I guess Nick gets a lot of Grimm-related job offers. But he prefers to be a cop/detective and wants to stay close to his “network” and friends.

As for Hank and Wu, they are part of Nick's team and is probably not interested in going back to living a “normal life” somewhere else.
(04-19-2019, 06:23 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]If Nick, Hank and Wu still distrust Renard - and why wouldn't they - staying in his unit positions them to keep watch on him. Official ranks notwithstanding, we never saw a single S06 scene in which they took any direction from. him. My guess is that Renard's laptop in the hands of HW provided them with the leverage to enforce a truce and they just stayed out of each others' way.

There would be no reason for Nick, Hank, or Wu to trust Renard, even if he was the salt of the earth kind of guy. Likewise, there's no reason for Renard to trust Nick, Hank or Wu. They're grunts. He's management. The two are like oil and water.

I get that they want their jobs back, but more than likely they would get them back through the efforts of their union anyway. The question in my mind is why work under Renard. While Renard did not give them direction in season six, he's still top dog. He made that plain by threatening Nick with losing his job if he acted out of line. Nick seemed to agree.
Nick, Hank and Wu got their jobs back because they had Renard backed into a corner. BC was gone except for a couple of stragglers, and although HW Portland was gone, the organization it had reported up to continued to exist and had possession of enough incriminating evidence to put Renard away. Not that they really needed to, since they were a black op and could just disappear him anytime they wanted to. So what they really agreed to do on the roof of the fome was to play act their previous roles and leave each other alone. The one clue we got to the true nature of their relationship (because it was literally the only time we ever saw them talk to each other between them going back to work and the two-part finale) was when Renard demanded that Nick tell him what he knew about the cloth and symbols and Nick's response was basically to say, "you first," and then walk out on him.
Pages: 1 2 3