Grimm Forum

Full Version: Renard BC agent or scorned lover
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I was just rewatching some of the late season 5 and early season 6 episodes in particular and Renard appears more like a scorned lover at times an uneven end of a love triangle than a BC leader and Mayor. Renards hunting of Nick in early season 6 In particular seems wiredly personal, Renard seemed to be obsessed with Adalinds feelings for Nick for some reason even though in previous seasons he didn’t give a toss about Adalind. He made several statments that clearly showed his jealousy like, you’ll regret ever falling for Burkhardt, which made him appear more like a poor cuckholded husband desperate to hold onto his cheating wife rather than the big bad villain he was supposed to be. I mean it came across a bit pathetic on Renards part especially considering he was running around like a nutcase obsessed with catching Nick meanwhile Nicks back at Renards own mansion with his tounge down Adalinds throat.
The man doesn't like to lose, even if it's over something/one he doesn't particularly care for. Nick being a subordinate that suddenly exerts autonomy and acts out in rebelling like when he attacked him at the station is something he would never stand for. Him offering Nick a place with BC would have only been a continuation of the status quo, where he outranked Nick but Nick didn't comply and that spilled over to whatever residual, but not in any way significant, feelings he had for Adalind. It's an inferiority complex spurred on by his illegitimacy and upbringing. Adalind falling for Nick for real, someone nature deemed his enemy only added fuel to the fire of his rage.
Renard had said earlier"this man thinks for himself"( Nick ) ( season 1)
I think his difficult childhood- Sean R- has made him not interested in a relationship.maybe his only love affair with his daughter and Nick and company.
Now he has Nick and
  Adalind that sure will work well.
On the other hand Nick did have some family life and then his adolescence was difficult due to the loss of his family.
His desire to have family life that he lost.
I think he was more interested in formalizing than juliette and that would be Adalind's desire too.
I think Renard first considered Adalind someone he could "show off" in pubic and sleep with when he did not have "access" to Rachel Wood. When Adalind moved in, Renard was surprised that she had feelings for Nick. The last time he had seen them together was at the Precinct when Adalind told Nick about the pregnancy. Renard considered Nick a threat and wanted to get rid of him. When he told Adalind that she would regret falling in love with Burkhardt (s06e01), I perceived it as a way of saying he was planning to capture or even kill Nick. I think it was clear that Renard did not care about Adalind, but he disliked that she expressed concern and loyalty to Nick.

Another example from s06e03:
Adalind: "If anything happens to Nick".
Renard: "Yes, I've heard it all before. I really think you should be more worried about what happens to you".
Adalind: "How are we supposed to make this work"?
Renard: "I'm not concerned about "we" making this work. It's your problem".

He showed her some respect from time to time, but this had probably most to do with Diana.

Regarding the Nick/Adalind scene in Renards mansion: Renard was not stupid, but obviously unable to think clearly at that stage. He searched for Nick everywhere, except for the place Adalind and Kelly were staying. Did it not occur to him that Adalind could contact Nick or that Nick could try to rescue them?
The only conclusion I can come to is that when Renard learned that the resistance had cut a deal with Viktor and wouldn't be helping him take control of his family he drowned his sorrows in something that pickled his brain. Because from S05 on he had a major case of stupid.
I don't see Renard having an interest in anyone besides himself, Diana and his mom. He was ready to cut Rachel off when he found her dead. Adelline was for sex and as a prop for his political career. BC interested him because he thought they could provide him with power. Ditto the Resistance. He went against Nick tooth and nail to eliminate the only witness of his stabbing Conrad in the back. My guess he ended up a lonely angry old man with only memories of missed chances at greatness.
This Sean Renard reminds me about the old story of the dog hanging out in the back yard with a big ass bone in the corner he id always ignoring it and never showed any interest in it. Once the owners introduced another dog in the household and the new dog shows interest in the same ignored bone, now the old dog wants to fight for it.

Sean never had any romantic interest in Adalind and neither did any one else. She was a tool to be used, including by Sean. Once he saw another man show permanent romantic interest in her, his interest peaked.

We can see, by the end of S6, you can see he got over any inclinations of him perusing her. He was acclimated to having shared custody of Diana and nothing more. He never had ant real interest in her.
I agree Renard never loved Adalind, he wanted to use her for sex and for his public image, Renard was pissed when she refused to give him sex through out her stay at the mansion, even when basically forced to do so by Diana she still rejected him and he didn’t like it one bit like in the script below from 5x22.

Adalind- you think all of a sudden I decided you were the hottest guy on earth and couldn’t wait take off my clothes and hop into bed with you - egomaniac Renard s response, well I am the new Mayor, Adalind response well I didn’t vote for you. Renard then storms off in a temper tamturn like a horny teen who got rejected.

That above quotes says all you really need know about Renard.

But I do however think his pride was hurt by just how much Adalind really did care about Nick and how loyal she was to Nick because he basically considered Adalind just like her mother before her his property to use and abuse, so when Adalind started caring only about Nick and no longer give a damm about Renard his ego took a bashing he could not stomach thus I think this partly drove his hatred of Nick in early season 6 as well as also looking a convient scapegoat for Bonepartes Murder.
He used it in principle to attack Nick's friends and when she could not, he kicked him in the ass...so he started to behave well with the "GRIMM"-which is what should have done from the beginning but it's so weird-. just wanted the key but then saw the utility of the "GRIMM".
I do not think his relationship with Adalind would have worked.
very funny and a blow to her ego when she rejects him
I am sure a few viewers dislike and loosing sleep on how, in the end, Sean Renard, the wanna-be Grimm "puppet master", becomes the Grimm's "patsy".
Pages: 1 2 3