Grimm Forum

Full Version: Rehashing the Monroe surname debate.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
OK, been re-watching our Grimm DVD's with the wife again and I have to correct my reference to Monroe's surname reference I mistakenly recalled on the "Sever Year Itch" thread.

It was not the door family crest but on a serving plate. When we got to S3-E12, The Wild Hunt. Towards the end of the episode, around the 36min, 50sec timer, Monroe pulls out a serving plate to show Rosalee to use for his parents visit dinner.

Monroe claims the plate had the family crest that was handed down from his grandfather. As you can see as normal heraldry family crest go, there is a crest with the family surname on a banner right under it. The name on that banner says "Blutbaden".

Now some might claim that the name stands for the type of Wesen the family is but based of Heraldry Standards, that banner is the family surname.

Tell me what you think.

[Image: blutbaden.png]
In "The Seven Year Itch," Rosalee gets an ultrasound. The patient name on the display screen is "Rosalee Calvert Monroe."

Maybe the dish is from his mother's side of the family.
The surname and family name are not the same thing. Even if they are the same name. The family name is the name that established the linage. The surname can change through marriage.
Just like Frederick Renard family name is Kronenberg.
(07-04-2018, 09:30 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]In "The Seven Year Itch," Rosalee gets an ultrasound. The patient name on the display screen is "Rosalee Calvert Monroe."

Maybe the dish is from his mother's side of the family.

So, are you saying the name "Monroe" is his last name? I know that a fellow worker and good friend of my wife calls her by her married last name. They both have the same 1st name. Her friend has Italian in her background and loves my last name so she calls her by her married last name which is mines.

I have known a few acquaintances and a friends over the years when called or references were to their surnames and not their first name. Your speculation is a valid one but usually something such as an item with a family crest would not be handed down to the female family offspring which would have been Monroe's mom father.

I think on some other episode Monroe mentioned an uncle on his mother side. If something had their family crest, why would they pass it on to a grandson of a female offspring which would no longer have that family name after marriage.

As Monroe mentioned a few times, during this episode, when talking to Rosalee about his parents. Monroe says his parents were very traditional. An item with that family crest would have been handed down to someone with the same surname. That would have been a grandson with the same surname as the grandfather. A grandson of a son not a daughter.

Sorry Face but your speculation is weak compared to mines of Monroe's surname being "Blutbaden" than "Monroe".

(07-04-2018, 11:05 PM)syscrash Wrote: [ -> ]The surname and family name are not the same thing. Even if they are the same name. The family name is the name that established the linage. The surname can change through marriage.
Just like Frederick Renard family name is Kronenberg.

Hello. McFly? As usual, you don't re-read your postings after you type them. Your argument makes no sense what so ever, since it contradicts it's self.

1st, my surname and my family name are the same "THING", as billions of other family names on this Earth. The one with a different surname/family name would be a wife, after marriage, as in most countries on this Earth.

2nd, Like you said, Renard has a different name from the Royals but you easily left out he is using his mother's maiden surname instead of his fathers family name. His reason? He is the unaccepted bastard son of the Royal family, the Kronenberg.

3rd, WTF does the example of Sean has to do with Monroe's family crest. Your argument would make sense if the debate was if Monroe was using his mother's surname and had a plate handed down from his grandfather on his mother's side.

If thats the case, then you are re-affirming his last name he is using is the surname on his mother's side which would be "Blutbaden" instead of what ever his father's surname is.

Again, your inadequate comprehension of this show is overwhelming.
I can see two possible answers. One is that Monroe's real name is Monroe Monroe. That happens in real life. The "family" shield could be his specie's shield -a lot of groups could have their own shields and flags, used to let friend and foe they where they were gathered, on the battlefield or at a peaceful gathering of different groups. You want to show your pride, put your shield on your front door, like Monroe had. People around here fly the Acadian flag, even if their direct ancestors did not come from Acadia.
[Image: latest?cb=20170211001931]
(07-05-2018, 07:22 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ][Image: latest?cb=20170211001931]

Face, this is the dialogue that took place when Monroe pulled out the serving plate and showed it to Rosalee.

Monroe; Hey, I want to show you something.
Rosalee; - Oh, family crest?
Monroe; - Yep. My grandparents gave it to me when I graduated from college. It's been in the family for over 200 years.

We can all speculate all we want. It is a fact that Monroe's mother family name is Dietrich. So the family crest pictured below is not from his mother side.

In the transcript Rosalee asks if it is Monroe's family crest. He replies with a "Yep"

1) We can all agree that the "YEP" reply means "YES".
2) We also know for a fact, in the English speaking world, the term "Family Crest" has one meaning. It is the coat of arms of the family surname.
3) In that same English speaking and culture world "surname" is also a person's last name.

Time to get real people. This is not my opinion but a FACT! So, FACT, Monroe's last name is Blutbaden

How much cleared can this be? The sonogram picture is easily explained. The medical tech screwed up by labeling the ultrasound with her first name, maiden name and her husband first name, Monroe, which is more common as a last name.

Even in the real world, a medical tech mistake is much easier to be made and overlooked. The making of a ceramic serving plate fashioned with the Family Crest, 200 years ago and then handed down from generation to generations and overlooked as a mistake is ridiculous!

[Image: blutbaden.png]
[/quote]
I've already stated my opinion on the debate. (And I told you about the family crest on the platter in the thread in question so my opinion isn't changed by this.)

But Sean Renard is actually using his father's name. - Elizabeth's last name is Lascelles. (4.02 Octopus Head) And Sean's half brother Eric canonwise is refered to as "Eric Renard" by the media when they report his death. (3.02 PTZD)
(07-05-2018, 11:19 PM)Zansy Wrote: [ -> ]I've already stated my opinion on the debate. (And I told you about the family crest on the platter in the thread in question so my opinion isn't changed by this.)

But Sean Renard is actually using his father's name. - Elizabeth's last name is Lascelles. (4.02 Octopus Head) And Sean's half brother Eric canonwise is refered to as "Eric Renard" by the media when they report his death. (3.02 PTZD)

Thank you for the correction on the Sean Renard name. I should know better to take anything syscrash states as facts and got trapped into trying to have a discussion with a contributor that has no clue on which end is up. Sean Renard character is my least favorite support character in the show and one of the least i would care to research much.

I do recall your reference to the platter on that posting, I wasn't sure about. I did recall the door stain glass window more than the platter but after I re-watched S3E12, It clarified my memory on why I believe Blutbaden is his last name. Back to that posting, your claim of having a surname "Blutbaden meaning Bloodbath" as being awkward is lame. There are surnames with worse meanings or references in existence that are worse than "Bloodbath".

This constant reference to the sonogram as proof of his last name is weak. Clerical errors in medical records are as common as having a burger with french fries.

Lets say the writing team did screw this one up? My argument is just more valid. The Monroe character is portrayed as a perfectionist. He would have easily overlooked a clerical error while being excited to see his wife having triplets than to continue a 200 year old lie.
(07-06-2018, 04:01 AM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-05-2018, 11:19 PM)Zansy Wrote: [ -> ]I've already stated my opinion on the debate. (And I told you about the family crest on the platter in the thread in question so my opinion isn't changed by this.)

Thank you for the correction on the Sean Renard name. I should know better to take anything syscrash states as facts and got trapped into trying to have a discussion with a contributor that has no clue on which end is up. Sean Renard character is my least favorite support character in the show and one of the least i would care to research much.

I do recall your reference to the platter on that posting, I wasn't sure about. I did recall the door stain glass window more than the platter but after I re-watched S3E12, It clarified my memory on why I believe Blutbaden is his last name. Back to that posting, your claim of having a surname "Blutbaden meaning Bloodbath" as being awkward is lame. There are surnames with worse meanings or references in existence that are worse than "Bloodbath".

This constant reference to the sonogram as proof of his last name is weak. Clerical errors in medical records are as common as having a burger with french fries.

Lets say the writing team did screw this one up? My argument is just more valid. The Monroe character is portrayed as a perfectionist. He would have easily overlooked a clerical error while being excited to see his wife having triplets than to continue a 200 year old lie.
I assume this is not Rosalee's first visit to her doctor, as well as what ever clinic/hospital the scan was done at. While Monroe might have overlooked the name on the screen, her/his insurance company would not have done so. An insurance card is the first thing they want to see, unless the knife stuck in your chest is moving because its attached to your heart. They will ask your spouse for it immediately however. No ID with your last name on it, no service except for accidents.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6