Grimm Forum

Full Version: Was Nick's Family Ashamed of their Grimm Heritage?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
We find out in season 6 that Trubel is a relative of Nick's, leading me to believe that Nick must have some extended family relations somewhere. Yet she ended up in foster homes and mental institutions. No one inquired about her, and she wasn't told she was a grimm until she met up with Nick.

Then there's Nick himself. The only reason Marie showed up was because she's dying of cancer. It appears they didn't keep in close contact with one another because Nick didn't know she had cancer and Marie had no idea if Nick was a grimm or not. However, she decides to reveal her cancer and the family misfortune, as she calls it.

Even Nick's mother stayed away for decades, until deciding one day to pop back into his life.

There's no family tree, but several grimm diaries, which, I presume, belong to Nick's ancestors. Yet, none of the grimms are named in the diaries and there are no bios on any of them.

While it's apparent Nick and Trubel are proud of being grimms, it doesn't appear to me that their family shares their pride, especially if the one who raised him refers to it as a "misfortune". As for Trubel, it appears whatever extended family relations Nick had were simply content to leave her in the care of strangers. Was Nick's family ashamed of their grimm heritage?
Nick didn't seem at all surprised by Aunt Marie's lack of hair. The impression I got was that he knew she was sick but that she had held back on how sick she really was.

We never got any info on what kind of networking the grimm families might have done with each other, except that somehow Nebojsa was being kept up to date on who inherited the gift/curse/whatever they thought being a grimm was.
In real life, parents do not want their children to follow their own path- career, etc- but equal goes.
Nick knew Marie was sick. When the show first aired a person became a Grimm because another family member Grimm died. Marie thought she was close enough to death that the change might have begun in Nick and wanted to give him the key and an explanation while she was still able to travel. Marie referred to Grimm as a burden because it required a loner existence, not because it brought shame to the person/family. If anything, Marie, Kelly, and Nick considered themselves set apart and above Wesen and humans.

Lots of people allow children to enter foster care rather that take a relative’s child(ren) into their home. Since Marie didn’t inform Nick until she was sure he’d soon find out anyway, it’s reasonable to assume Trubel’s family wouldn’t know what Grimm was, much less that she was one.
(01-14-2018, 02:15 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]Nick didn't seem at all surprised by Aunt Marie's lack of hair. The impression I got was that he knew she was sick but that she had held back on how sick she really was.

We never got any info on what kind of networking the grimm families might have done with each other, except that somehow Nebojsa was being kept up to date on who inherited the gift/curse/whatever they thought being a grimm was.

Exactly. And Nebojsa was a stranger to Nick. What's odd to me is that even after Nick finds out Trubel is related, he's in no hurry to let her know. While he's proud of being a grimm and she is too, that is also very odd behavior.

(01-14-2018, 07:08 AM)Robyn Wrote: [ -> ]Lots of people allow children to enter foster care rather that take a relative’s child(ren) into their home. Since Marie didn’t inform Nick until she was sure he’d soon find out anyway, it’s reasonable to assume Trubel’s family wouldn’t know what Grimm was, much less that she was one.

These aren't lots of people, Robyn. They're grimms. If they were as proud of their heritage as they say and if grimms are as rare as it's implied, why would they leave one behind in a mental institution?
(01-14-2018, 09:02 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]These aren't lots of people, Robyn. They're grimms. If they were as proud of their heritage as they say and if grimms are as rare as it's implied, why would they leave one behind in a mental institution?
But there’s not any indication that Trubel’s surviving family members knew about Grimm. I don’t recall the details of why Trubel ended up in foster care or if either of her parents were actually Grimm. But considering that Nick didn’t know about Grimm/Wesen until Marie was at death’s door, there’s not reason to assume the Grimm in Trubel’s family discussed it with non-Grimm members.

If you mean that any Grimm should have come to Trubel’s aid, why would they automatically know she was a Grimm? Kelly knew because she’d kept tabs on Nick and corresponded with Marie. That doesn’t mean Kelly knew a distant cousin was a Grimm. Kelly and Marie may not have even known Trubel existed, Grimm or not.
(01-14-2018, 09:16 AM)Robyn Wrote: [ -> ]But there’s not any indication that Trubel’s surviving family members knew about Grimm. I don’t recall the details of why Trubel ended up in foster care or if either of her parents were actually Grimm. But considering that Nick didn’t know about Grimm/Wesen until Marie was at death’s door, there’s not reason to assume the Grimm in Trubel’s family discussed it with non-Grimm members.

She's a distant relative to Nick. Nebojsa knew all about their family tree and he wasn't a relative. If it's as you say, Trubel's surviving family members knew nothing of grimms, how did Trubel end up on the family tree? Someone had to tell him about it and the path showing her relation to the first grimms, including Nick.

(01-14-2018, 09:16 AM)Robyn Wrote: [ -> ]If you mean that any Grimm should have come to Trubel’s aid, why would they automatically know she was a Grimm? Kelly knew because she’d kept tabs on Nick and corresponded with Marie. That doesn’t mean Kelly knew a distant cousin was a Grimm. Kelly and Marie may not have even known Trubel existed, Grimm or not.

No, I'm talking about the opposite. I'm saying Trubel's family was ashamed of her being a grimm so they chucked her off into a mental institution. It's obvious that neither Kelly or Marie knew of Trubel. But if they did, I highly doubt they'd go get her anyway.
We have no idea whether Trubel had any surviving family or when Nick found out what Trubel's relation was. She wondered if she might be in the family tree book when they found it, but then stuff happened and they didn't talk about it again until the very end of the series.

It just seemed to me that if grimms had any kind of networking going on between them, word would have gotten to someone when a grimm family descendant became orphaned. How did Rolek Porter know that Nick Burkhardt was a grimm?
(01-14-2018, 09:28 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]We have no idea whether Trubel had any surviving family or when Nick found out what Trubel's relation was. She wondered if she might be in the family tree book when they found it, but then stuff happened and they didn't talk about it again until the very end of the series.

It just seemed to me that if grimms had any kind of networking going on between them, word would have gotten to someone when a grimm family descendant became orphaned.

I think Trubel was brought in as the poor orphaned grimm who ended up spending years in mental institutions and foster homes to show just how insane a person could be considered for "seeing things". But as that was implied, then there would be no way Trubel would even be put into a foster home or eventually freed, even at the age of majority. She would be considered just too big of a risk to the general public.

I still wonder why Marie waited so long to tell Nick. I wonder what she would have done if he'd have said he wasn't seeing things when she asked him. Would she have taken the trailer and went back to where she came?

Quote:How did Rolek Porter know that Nick Burkhardt was a grimm?

I'm wondering who got the word out to Nebojsa, a wesen. If you count him and the person who told Porter, there's at least two in the world who know something of the grimm lineage.
(01-14-2018, 09:26 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-14-2018, 09:16 AM)Robyn Wrote: [ -> ]But there’s not any indication that Trubel’s surviving family members knew about Grimm. I don’t recall the details of why Trubel ended up in foster care or if either of her parents were actually Grimm. But considering that Nick didn’t know about Grimm/Wesen until Marie was at death’s door, there’s not reason to assume the Grimm in Trubel’s family discussed it with non-Grimm members.

She's a distant relative to Nick. Nebojsa knew all about their family tree and he wasn't a relative. If it's as you say, Trubel's surviving family members knew nothing of grimms, how did Trubel end up on the family tree? Someone had to tell him about it and the path showing her relation to the first grimms, including Nick.

(01-14-2018, 09:16 AM)Robyn Wrote: [ -> ]If you mean that any Grimm should have come to Trubel’s aid, why would they automatically know she was a Grimm? Kelly knew because she’d kept tabs on Nick and corresponded with Marie. That doesn’t mean Kelly knew a distant cousin was a Grimm. Kelly and Marie may not have even known Trubel existed, Grimm or not.

No, I'm talking about the opposite. I'm saying Trubel's family was ashamed of her being a grimm so they chucked her off into a mental institution. It's obvious that neither Kelly or Marie knew of Trubel. But if they did, I highly doubt they'd go get her anyway.
I don’t recall the show providing how Trubel ended up in foster care. It did provide that she saw her first woge while in foster care. So while her parents may have known she might be a Grimm, she hadn’t yet shown any signs of being one. I don’t understand the connection between Trubel being a child in foster care and her family being ashamed of Grimm.

The show didn’t provide how and why Nebojsa gathered information on other Grimm or whether he placed significant value on his books and the keys in his possession. One thing for sure, he didn’t have a plan in place for someone to continue his work after his death or ensure the books and keys didn’t fall into the wrong hands. Otherwise, Felix wouldn’t have gotten them because of an estate sale.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18