Grimm Forum

Full Version: What are some goofs you noticed on Grimm.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(10-22-2017, 02:20 AM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]I won’t question if a captain can, but looking at Portland’s actual 3 police precinct, the one Sean was running is more than just a Police precinct but more of a Police Headquarters. Maybe it isn’t housing the clerical departments but I do believe is home to specialized and other support units.

Here's a PPB org chart:

[Image: ppb-org-chart.jpg]

In the real life PPB, detectives would be under Investigations. Nick and Hank would be in a homicide detail. Their Captain would report to a Commander, who would report to an Assistant Chief.

Sean would be one of several Captains in the Investigations block labeled "Person Crimes."

Precinct command, including uniformed officers, would be under Operations, commanded by a different Assistant Chief. Wu would be part of Operations, with a "dotted line report" to Investigations.

Grimm's "South Precinct" does not exist. Its real life counterpart is the Central Precinct, which occupies floors 11-15 of the 18-story Multnomah County Justice Center.

[Image: 3284541_ftzFv2USN_st38ry_HT6IJkEhQRgYfHjHYGZtlo1bmc.jpg]
I am impressed by how many levels of command are in Portland, which isn't that big a city. Question one--how many desk cops are there in Portland, how many on the beat or doing what most consider to be "police work". Question 2--this show was fiction, it used unreal information to add drama to the show. If Renard had been the commissioner, he would have had the authority, but unlikely to have daily contact with a homicide detective.
(11-05-2017, 08:32 AM)eric Wrote: [ -> ]I am impressed by how many levels of command are in Portland, which isn't that big a city. Question one--how many desk cops are there in Portland, how many on the beat or doing what most consider to be "police work". Question 2--this show was fiction, it used unreal information to add drama to the show. If Renard had been the commissioner, he would have had the authority, but unlikely to have daily contact with a homicide detective.

I always considered a Police Captain equivalent to an Army Captain in charge of a company strength unit of about 100 to 200 men. Unlike a Navy Captain that can lead over 6,000 sailors such as, an Aircraft Carrier.

If the Precinct that Renard was running that had all the other extra services of the RL equivalent, puts a doubt that what was going on, on Grimm was realistic.
Mayor Renard would also have been the Police Commisioner, that's how city govt is organized. But he would only have had approval authority over promotions submitted by those below him, so if he wanted to have full control of the PPB he would have had to replace the Police Chief and all the Assistant Chiefs and Precinct Commanders.

If Grimm had depicted a more realistic PPB, the only officers Captain Renard would have been running would have been the ones we saw at the desks outside his office.

Portland has 1000 full-time officers. PPB does not publish the breakdown of uniformed vs non-uniformed, or how many are working what functions at any given time.
Pages: 1 2