Grimm Forum

Full Version: Fairy Tales, Myths and Folklore not seen on Grimm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Fairy tales, folklore and myths are vital stories we have used since before recorded time to cement cultural identities, to teach our children moral lessons, and to scare each other sitting around a camp fire blazing to keep back those ghosties who inhabit our nightmares.

Grimm has run through a big list of such stories, but there are more. I would have liked to have seen an episode about the Princess and the Pea, the Turtle and the Hare, The Prince and the Pauper, and that urban myth about the hand clutching the car door handle. It's possible one these examples was indeed treated in a Grimm episode, but I don't think so. How about the labors of Hercules from as far back as Homer?

Any other titles to add to the list? Give an idea of how it could be done, too. For instance, the Turtle fable could be structured around Hank getting hurt so that he was slowed down (know it happened before), he has a wily stalker who is playing cat and mouse with him because he's aware of the injury. But Hank somehow outsmarts the over-confident assassin and gets him first. Like that.

No fair killing Juliette or Adalind.
(04-24-2017, 05:35 PM)speakeasy Wrote: [ -> ]For instance, the Turtle fable could be structured around Hank getting hurt so that he was slowed down (know it happened before), he has a wily stalker who is playing cat and mouse with him because he's aware of the injury. But Hank somehow outsmarts the over-confident assassin and gets him first. Like that.

As an aside, in terms of sheer story telling ability Louis L'Amour has an undeniable appeal. Great literature it is not, but for simple relaxation his works have pleased generations of fans.

In regard to your quote above there is a novelette he wrote that you might enjoy (the first half anyways) called The Keylock Man. In this case, the protagonist is being wrongly accused and pursued by a zealot posse and plays a benign game of cat and mouse with them in order to discourage them from forcing a violent showdown(that is the first part of the novelette) and it is brilliantly conceived.

I will say it is a variation from L'Amour's usual cadence in writing, as the action is delayed, but that is what gives this work its charm.

https://www.amazon.com/Key-Lock-Man-Nove...0553280988
Thanks for the reading suggestion, Izzy, I'll check it out.

I think people are talking much, much faster today. I don't understand most of the ads I see on t.v.; don't get them, they're too artsy, too disconnected to the product being advertised and too vulgar - the Charmin commercials are particularly irritating.

The English language, which is a living thing, is changing at a much fast pace that I've ever witnessed. Of course, most of it can be the result of texting. I can see a future in which there is little time in a curriculum for diagramming sentences in order to understand the proper use of English because of the need to cram in all the classes on A.I., brain chip implants, using the cloud, civics subjects involving global federations, the affect of too much information on our psyches, understanding the content of the documents associated with getting a loan, classes on the danger of propaganda, etc.

Anybody else notice that a large percentage of what we view are ads for our plumbing systems? Both over the counter products and prescribed medications. I think it's an indication of the sped-up pace of life (including the internet and cable) playing havoc with our bodily functions.

Thanks for letting me vent. It will look like someone else viewed the post, numbers count. Big Grin
(04-25-2017, 05:37 AM)speakeasy Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the reading suggestion, Izzy, I'll check it out.

I think people are talking much, much faster today. I don't understand most of the ads I see on t.v.; don't get them, they're too artsy, too disconnected to the product being advertised and too vulgar - the Charmin commercials are particularly irritating.

The English language, which is a living thing, is changing at a much fast pace that I've ever witnessed. Of course, most of it can be the result of texting. I can see a future in which there is little time in a curriculum for diagramming sentences in order to understand the proper use of English because of the need to cram in all the classes on A.I., brain chip implants, using the cloud, civics subjects involving global federations, the affect of too much information on our psyches, understanding the content of the documents associated with getting a loan, classes on the danger of propaganda, etc.

Anybody else notice that a large percentage of what we view are ads for our plumbing systems? Both over the counter products and prescribed medications. I think it's an indication of the sped-up pace of life (including the internet and cable) playing havoc with our bodily functions.

Thanks for letting me vent. It will look like someone else viewed the post, numbers count. Big Grin

Hey speakeasy, I recommend Louis L'Amour's short story collection titled "Yondering" most especially the stories "Shanghai, Not Without Gestures", "The Man Who Stole Shakespeare" and "A Friend Of The General". izzy said L'Amour's work was not great literature. But, for those three stories at least, I must respectfully disagree. Smile

Now, as to folk/fairy tales they didn't use on "Grimm", I would have liked to have seen more from Asian and Islamic folklore. Ever here of a "Thousand and One Tales Of The Arabian Nights"? Or the stories from ancient Greek legends?

Every culture in the world has these stories and it would have been interesting to have seen them on the screen. Smile
(04-25-2017, 05:37 AM)speakeasy Wrote: [ -> ]...I can see a future in which there is little time in a curriculum for diagramming sentences in order to understand the proper use of English because of the need to cram in all the classes on A.I., brain chip implants...

(04-25-2017, 07:03 AM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey speakeasy, I recommend Louis L'Amour's short story collection titled "Yondering" most especially the stories "Shanghai, Not Without Gestures", "The Man Who Stole Shakespeare" and "A Friend Of The General". izzy said L'Amour's work was not great literature. But, for those three stories at least, I must respectfully disagree. Smile

That's two testimonials to L'Amour's literary contribution to the list of excellent American writers; especially the ones who concentrate their abilities to the telling of tales about the American West. Our western tradition is one that appeals to many, many nations, in particular the rugged individualism of the wild West era. My husband has gotten into reading recently, I'm going to get him some of L'Amour's books, the ones you and Izzy recommend.

Now, what say you about brain chip implants; I'm all for 'em; anything that will help me remember where I put my keys. Smile
(04-25-2017, 05:37 AM)speakeasy Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the reading suggestion, Izzy, I'll check it out.

Personally, I am glad I don't have to explain some of the words on TV to a 4 or 5 year old. Of course, in the last century I had to explain why some of the people on TV acted the way they did. If you are in an area where there is less change in population and fewer strangers moving in, areas of the south before radio and TV for example, language remains static. When I was growing up in S Louisiana the morning radio farmers' reports were in Cajun French. Not any more. Ads are directed at the market watching. The shows old geezers like me watch talk about aches and pains, funeral bills, living in retirement homes, and plumbing. We don't care about fast cars, makeup for 20 year old girls(for the most partAngel), children's toys and trips to family fun resorts. When people talk about the latest internet fad I am lost-unlike Trump I have never tweeted, me and my phone are too dumb. Wifey and I watch music award shows to find out who the new artists are and what they are doing.
(04-25-2017, 05:37 AM)speakeasy Wrote: [ -> ]...I think people are talking much, much faster today.

...The English language, which is a living thing, is changing at a much fast pace that I've ever witnessed. Of course, most of it can be the result of texting. I can see a future in which there is little time in a curriculum for diagramming sentences in order to understand the proper use of English because of the need to cram in all the classes on A.I., brain chip implants, using the cloud, civics subjects involving global federations, the affect of too much information on our psyches, understanding the content of the documents associated with getting a loan, classes on the danger of propaganda, etc.

(04-25-2017, 07:54 AM)eric Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I am glad I don't have to explain some of the words on TV to a 4 or 5 year old. Of course, in the last century I had to explain why some of the people on TV acted the way they did. If you are in an area where there is less change in population and fewer strangers moving in, areas of the south before radio and TV for example, language remains static. When I was growing up in S Louisiana the morning radio farmers' reports were in Cajun French. Not any more. Ads are directed at the market watching. The shows old geezers like me watch talk about aches and pains, funeral bills, living in retirement homes, and plumbing. We don't care about fast cars, makeup for 20 year old girls(for the most partAngel), children's toys and trips to family fun resorts. When people talk about the latest internet fad I am lost-unlike Trump I have never tweeted, me and my phone are too dumb. Wifey and I watch music award shows to find out who the new artists are and what they are doing.

Ha, ha, Eric, clever and amusing post. And can I ever relate. I must live in an area whose population suffers from acute colon disorders, man alive, every other ad. I am happy to report that this old mare is in disgustingly good health and always has been. I don't get migraines and ulcers, I give them, badot boom.

Seriously, I do sincerely believe we are a much more nervous and anxious society because of the age we live in. And people really, really are talking faster. Not everyone, but the trend is definitely afoot. What the heck is that, anyhow? Omg, I just was struck by the possibility that I am hearing slower.
(04-25-2017, 07:47 AM)speakeasy Wrote: [ -> ]That's two testimonials to L'Amour's literary contribution to the list of excellent American writers; especially the ones who concentrate their abilities to the telling of tales about the American West. Our western tradition is one that appeals to many, many nations, in particular the rugged individualism of the wild West era. My husband has gotten into reading recently, I'm going to get him some of L'Amour's books, the ones you and Izzy recommend.

Okay, I apologize for almost derailing your thread, but since you are a thoughtful reflective type I have two recommendation for you in regard to L'Amour.

One, read his book:

Education of a Wandering Man

https://www.amazon.com/Education-Wanderi...0553286528

Understand, if you do so, that one of L'Amour's sore points in life was his limited formal education, the theme of self education through experiencing vs doing permeates most of his writings. But I think you in particular might enjoy this book. It is a memoir and not fiction. I t was unfinished at his time of death and a bit of patchwork quilt but I think you will appreciate it far more than most. If you do elect to read it, I would appreciate a note letting me know your thoughts.

Secondly, be aware that Beau (his son) runs an excellent forum for discussion of his father's works, participates personally, and enjoys in depth discussions of his rather rascally father. It is worth stopping 'round the campfire and jawing with some of the old timers there. Many people in that long enduring forum have passed on (I lament I have not checked in myself in a long time) but it has always had a family atmosphere to it. Interestingly, at least to me, are the number of female western fans.

Sorry to derail your fine thread, but I though you might appreciate the additional information.
(04-25-2017, 02:02 PM)izzy Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-25-2017, 07:47 AM)speakeasy Wrote: [ -> ]That's two testimonials to L'Amour's literary contribution to the list of excellent American writers; especially the ones who concentrate their abilities to the telling of tales about the American West. Our western tradition is one that appeals to many, many nations, in particular the rugged individualism of the wild West era. My husband has gotten into reading recently, I'm going to get him some of L'Amour's books, the ones you and Izzy recommend.

Okay, I apologize for almost derailing your thread, but since you are a thoughtful reflective type I have two recommendation for you in regard to L'Amour.

One, read his book:

Education of a Wandering Man

https://www.amazon.com/Education-Wanderi...0553286528

Understand, if you do so, that one of L'Amour's sore points in life was his limited formal education, the theme of self education through experiencing vs doing permeates most of his writings. But I think you in particular might enjoy this book. It is a memoir and not fiction. I t was unfinished at his time of death and a bit of patchwork quilt but I think you will appreciate it far more than most. If you do elect to read it, I would appreciate a note letting me know your thoughts.

Secondly, be aware that Beau (his son) runs an excellent forum for discussion of his father's works, participates personally, and enjoys in depth discussions of his rather rascally father. It is worth stopping 'round the campfire and jawing with some of the old timers there. Many people in that long enduring forum have passed on (I lament I have not checked in myself in a long time) but it has always had a family atmosphere to it. Interestingly, at least to me, are the number of female western fans.

Sorry to derail your fine thread, but I though you might appreciate the additional information.

Sounds like something I'd like, even though it would be a departure from my usual reading fare. I am late in life beginning to appreciate more and more my own wonderful country's history, having concentrated mostly on European history for some reason.

I started my sojourn with an interest in WWI trench warfare, worked myself through WWII and in particular, America's part in it. And how the devastation of Europe helped fuel our unbelievable ascendance to world economic dominance. Did a little bit of reading about the Cold War; fascinating subject and so very appropriate to understanding some of the diplomatic problems we are still dealing with today. Skipped everything in between and went directly to studying our commitment to colonizing Mars over the new few decades, haha.