Grimm Forum

Full Version: Looking at Grimm as far a being politically correct
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
In today's PC world how politically correct was Grimm. In all TV series of today they most are PC to one degree or another. I.E. guns, gay rights, and etc. In Grimm how much did they do PC?

Take the Wesenrein episode the group's leader was a Police officer but also a Bauerschwein or Pig. Now wasn't if out of place to have the leader of this group a Bauerschwein when the court was headed by a blutbad an enemy of Bauerschwein?

We had a hint that Trubel was gay maybe maybe not just a hint.

These are the only two hints at PC I noted. Now because Grimm was watch worldwide maybe other's seen PC thing I didn't.
I am not sure how a judge would know if a defendant was wessen unless he got really close(Rosalee meeting Monroe's parents) or if he was told. Maybe its because I'm old, but what hint do you have that Truble is gay? If you are always on the run and have to be careful with everyone you meet-they might decide to kill you-it would be hard to start dating, yes? The show itself has a very diverse set of characters, I assume that reflects the population of Portland. Now if it was based in Idaho, I would say they were being PCBig Grin. The only PC that comes to mind is "if we try, we can all live in peace"--the books listed all kinds of wessen and how to kill them, that was not Nick's usual approach.
Quote:Take the Wesenrein episode the group's leader was a Police officer but also a Bauerschwein or Pig. Now wasn't if out of place to have the leader of this group a Bauerschwein when the court was headed by a blutbad an enemy of Bauerschwein?
Only if the judge was swayed by personal bias and used his authority to control the outcome.

Monroe and Rosalee were targeted because of their interracial relationship. Were they or Bud targeted for collaborating with a Grimm?

Not sure how to discuss, much less determine, the political correctness of a show whose lead character is widely accepted, and at times glorified, as judge, jury, and executioner. I don’t think G & K attempted to address mainstream societal issues, but rather, created a universe where certain principles and beliefs were the norm.

This may not fit with what you’re looking for but - Nick was hated by some because of what he is / his heritage rather than for something he actually does. That’s similar to the bigoted assumption that if a country harbors terrorists, everyone from that country must be a terrorist.

Wish I had more to offer because this sounds like a really interesting discussion.
My guess is that Grimm was a family show, TV-14, and to get deeply into controversial subjects would not be suitable entertainment for children. Gay or lesbian relationships are probably something parents would like to discuss with their children as a family; maybe that's why it wasn't part of the Grimm world. But the photograph at the end of each episode showing the two producers has always looked like they were a couple to me. I always thought Trubel had a boyish charm about her, but didn't think of her one way or the other.

It could be argued that Juliette/Eve's transformation into Sean via the hat was a vague reference to the subject of transgender identity. Certainly the show didn't make subtle references to actual politics if one doesn't count having two bad characters show up during the actual presidential campaign going by the names of Dallas Cruz and Billie Trump, haha. Finally, the rise of the BC movement, disguised as a demand for equality, and the reach for power that was the real intent of those at the top, shows that it's always possible for the ambitious to get placed in positions of authority if people get dissatisfied by the status quo. Happening today in the real world close to home, in my view. The price of liberty is eternal vigilance. The BC storyline was a PC way of getting folks to turn against each other, in my view.

But the whole message of the series - which is, imo, the interaction and evolution of different types of humanity - demonstrates in a PC way the painful and necessarily slow societal changes leading to acceptance of that which is different. Viewed from that premise, Nick is a bridge between two ages; the old and the new. In a PC way, of course.
Science fiction and fantasy on TV often disguise social commentary under layers of makeup. It's really "commercial correctness," which is pretty much the opposite of political correctness; not scaring away advertisers who are afraid of offending the viewers the commentaries are meant to condemn, i.e., instead of trying to not seem racist, the advertisers are afraid they'll lose customers who think the show is calling out racism.
I would think that among the top aims of any tv show pursuing success would have to be pleasing and appeasing their advertisers. That said, I think we could equate both PC and CC as being more similar than different.

Because both qualities could be judged to be the underpinning of a balanced veneer designed to achieve a widespread acceptance by viewers. Grimm took a couple of chances with subtextual social comments nevertheless, imo.
I beat this to death in the past, but I think the whole "the child is innocent" and the ensuing protection of the prenatal Kelly was anything but P.C. Given the liberal make-up of some of the cast and the creative team's penchant for debauchery I was pleasantly surprised. I doubt if any of them thought about it (besides Claire) or I think their internal PC monitor would have flickered on. So no I don't think the show was actually P.C. It is hard to imagine a pro-life message getting sway in those circles.
I would ask you what you define as politically correct.

Here in Brazil if you say a program is PC you may mean one of two things: The first and most common is that the program avoids topics that are polemics. It means, for example, the program will not talk about abortion for example. The program will not make jokes about minorities. And so on. I would say that the program is passively PC.
The second meaning is that the program actively defends theme connected to the left wing field of thinking (at least what is considered as left here in Brazil). A program considered PC will defend abortion even the majority of Brazilian society being against it. I would say that the program is actively PC.
This being said, I would say that, from my point of view, Grimm isn’t PC since it doesn’t defend left positions (at least not openly, at least not what is considered left in Brazilian society). But I also don’t consider Grimm as passively PC because it has a bunch of polemics in it. Nick as a corrupt cop and still being a hero is one of them.
But as I am not in USA I don’t know how to interpret those positions. Probably if it was made in Brazil, some things in Grimm would be made differently and would have different interpretations. I mean that many things would be considerad PC.
Political correctness (or lack thereof) isn't the show's problem. Dodgy moral standards are the show's problem, which covers everyone from Nick to the rest of the supporting cast. Where else can you see a storyline about a woman being an accomplice to multiple homicides and then claiming to be someone else without anybody batting an eyelid?
(04-16-2017, 12:59 PM)izzy Wrote: [ -> ]I beat this to death in the past, but I think the whole "the child is innocent" and the ensuing protection of the prenatal Kelly was anything but P.C. Given the liberal make-up of some of the cast and the creative team's penchant for debauchery I was pleasantly surprised.

I am not aware of any liberals expressing the view that killing a pregnant woman is an acceptable method of performing an abortion.

(04-17-2017, 12:26 PM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: [ -> ]But as I am not in USA I don’t know how to interpret those positions.

In the US, "PC" is what people say you are being when you call them out for their use of racial, ethnic, gender, sexual orientation, etc., insults or their expression of bigoted views, such as a certain ethnicity is lazy or prone to drunkenness. Or when you make an effort to avoid the use of certain common phrases once you become aware that they are derived from such insults or bigoted views.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10