Grimm Forum

Full Version: Dracula 1x01 "The Blood is the Life"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This new show premiered on 25 October, 2013, right after Grimm.

What did everyone think of the newest horror show on the block?
(10-25-2013, 11:16 PM)pale boy Wrote: [ -> ]This new show premiered on 25 October, 2013, right after Grimm.

What did everyone think of the newest horror show on the block?

As a vampire show, I thought it was a meh (but FYI, I feel this way about 90% of the vampire shows on television). As an evil Thomas Edison/Tesla show, I thought it was pretty fun. I think I'll watch it for that reason.

Though, I couldn't help but think while watching it, if only this show was on HBO or Showtime, half these girls in Victorian garb would be getting naked. That was a bit disappointing, but I'll probably keep watching it because it's after Grimm.
I have a pet peeve. I generally don't like movies/books/tv shows that steal from past literary endeavors but pretty much change everything but the name (see Sherlock Holmes movies). And i think that Dracula/ vampire shows are some of the worst offenders.
Although I do understand why its done. It does help make sure the viewer is aware of the concepts and premises without having to take time to explain them. But then again, I think that also show the writers are a little bit lazy and maybe not that creative either.

However, I thought this show was pretty cool. And I plan on watching it again.
(10-26-2013, 03:38 PM)Lou Wrote: [ -> ]I have a pet peeve. I generally don't like movies/books/tv shows that steal from past literary endeavors but pretty much change everything but the name (see Sherlock Holmes movies).
FYI, Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes is more faithful to the actual Doyle stories than deerstalker cap Holmes from early 20th century movies. Many people don't realize that though. The only true difference between Ritchie and Doyle's creation is that Doyle's Holmes was not as depressively weird as the one in Ritchie's movies. Since Doyle based his creation on a real person, I imagine the real one may have been very much like Ritchie's version. However, here's a quick list of things taken directly from the stories of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

1. Prize-fighting
2. Doing drugs (specifically cocaine)
3. Wearing weird costumes/cross-dressing.
4. Holmes being anti-social (though, everyone seems to like him nevertheless)
I like the sci-fi bent and comic book-y feel to the show. Sort of purple, operatic tone to it. And I like the synthesized soundtrack. Borrows a bit from the movie Bram Stoker's Dracula (reincarnation romance ahoy + handsome Drac), but I'm still in love with this show. For network TV in the US, they show a lot of gore and quite a bit concerning the smexy scenes.

Plus, they broke the rule of Dracula vs Van Helsing and have them working together. That's actually refreshing when it comes to Dracula stories. Renfield is also rational and level-headed. That's not even touching the bit where Dracula plans to bankrupt his enemies into submission (and then presumably kill them all once they're politically weakened). That's actually much cooler than just having him slaughter everyone.

Although they did include the "allergic to sun" bit which was never in the book. Dodgy Pet peeve, that. But I'll live.