Grimm Forum

Full Version: reboot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
After reflecting...

I really think they should consider rebooting Grimm in a couple of years, with a creative team that is up to the challenge of creating an actual adult drama. The general concept really is good and there is much that could have been explored except the series quickly abandoned the central theme and went on a bizarre, over the top, theme of sex, stupidity, asinine plotlines and poor casting decisions.

I say wrap the season up, let the scorched earth cool for a couple of years and try it again with a mature, thoughtful set of writers who can engage an audiences intellect.
You don't see a contradiction in mature adult drama and characters that are wesen. Add to that hexenbiest with magic. do you have and example of a show that is a mature adult drama and fantasy.
(12-29-2016, 05:27 PM)syscrash Wrote: [ -> ]You don't see a contradiction in mature adult drama and characters that are wesen. Add to that hexenbiest with magic. do you have and example of a show that is a mature adult drama and fantasy.

I do. Star Trek.
(12-29-2016, 05:27 PM)syscrash Wrote: [ -> ]You don't see a contradiction in mature adult drama and characters that are wesen. Add to that hexenbiest with magic. do you have and example of a show that is a mature adult drama and fantasy.

HexenBiest are very optional and don't need to show up in a reboot. I thought the show was at its best in the first few episodes of the first season. The way they handled Monroe back then was adult.

Examples:

Homeland
Game of Thrones
Outlander
So you think that captain kirk character is a mature representation of a person. I will start with the science. They make it sound impressive. They even try and base it on theoretical ideas. But they constantly bend their own rules to fit the situation. Have you ever listened to a trekkie argument trying to rationalize the contradictions. Lets talk about Kirk's moral choices he makes. How many civilizations has he gone against just because they are not on the side of the federation. Lets talk about the federation just because a group is the authority they are perfectly fine upholding the right to persecute the indigenous people of the planet. To make it ok the show makes the indigenous people savage in nature.
What star trek has going for it is the high quality special effects and the thought they put into the science. They go further then any other show to make the science make sense. But because it is not real and understanding of basic science make it ridiculous. The science is as ridiculous as the computer science used on mr robot.

Game of Thrones a mature adult drama. Sure it has gratuitous sex. But not one of the relationships has a realistic foundation. Sansa making an alliance with little finger. You have these army with thousands of warriors. Yet the show never gives any idea how you would support this many people being on the move like they do. I won't even get into how you can shoot and stab people yet they do not die. The point I am making is sci-fi and mature adult drama are a contradiction. By definition sci-fi means there is a certain amount of disbelief and ridiculousness in it.
The target demographic for science fiction, fantasy and action films and series is males 13-28, with most leaning decidedly toward the younger end of that range. If you want adult material, you'd do better to turn off the TV and look for reading material. Preferably the kind without pictures and speech balloons.
(12-29-2016, 06:09 PM)syscrash Wrote: [ -> ]So you think that captain kirk character is a mature representation of a person.

Who said anything about Captain Kirk? That's your spin on my response. But let me reiterate your statement:

Quote: do you have and example of a show that is a mature adult drama and fantasy.

Star Trek is an example of a show that is a mature adult drama and fantasy. Just in case you weren't around when it premiered, it was deemed too cerebral for NBC despite the mountains of protest from people who wrote to the network and begged them to continue the series.

And if you don't buy that, then look at it as the most successful television franchise in history. It doesn't get those accolades from being a kiddie show.
(12-29-2016, 05:17 PM)izzy Wrote: [ -> ]After reflecting...

I really think they should consider rebooting Grimm in a couple of years, with a creative team that is up to the challenge of creating an actual adult drama. The general concept really is good and there is much that could have been explored except the series quickly abandoned the central theme and went on a bizarre, over the top, theme of sex, stupidity, asinine plotlines and poor casting decisions.

I say wrap the season up, let the scorched earth cool for a couple of years and try it again with a mature, thoughtful set of writers who can engage an audiences intellect.

The well's too poisoned for anyone to go near it again. The best option would be to start completely afresh with a new world full of new ideas and new characters. The entertainment industry lacks too much creativity and originality as it is.
I feel like I need to state once again that Game of Thrones stopped being an adult drama a long time ago. It doesn't even qualify as a quality TV program. Just go into the GOT section of this forum to see what I think about the show. It has even less respect for its characters, and by extension the audience, than Grimm does. Characters are ruined on a whim just to move the plot along. The content may be mature in terms of graphic scenes but the writing is rather juvenile. At least Grimm doesn't pretend to be half as pretentious as GOT does. The last two seasons have been atrocious.

I think Westworld is a better example of an adult drama. It's full of interesting characters and storylines. It doesn't talk down to its audience like a lot of shows do and you really have to pay attention to take it all in. I'm gonna need to do a rewatch soon so I can put it all together. I still have the finale to watch but I've really enjoyed the show.
Quote:Star Trek is an example of a show that is a mature adult drama and fantasy. Just in case you weren't around when it premiered, it was deemed too cerebral for NBC despite the mountains of protest from people who wrote to the network and begged them to continue the series.

And if you don't buy that, then look at it as the most successful television franchise in history. It doesn't get those accolades from being a kiddie show.
I use to watch lost in space. I followed every episode of star trek and spent a lot of time arguing the scientific concepts. Especially warp drives and teleportation. The communicators are the cell phones of today. I still watch but no longer a fan. I out grow the amazement the show use to offer. There is nothing mature about the show. To me mature adult drama are shows like scandal, elementary, even orphan black a show that uses a science that is not actually real. But these show let you get to know what is going on in the characters head. They are based on motive, instead of actions to create reactions.
Pages: 1 2 3