Grimm Forum

Full Version: Rewatch: 1x21 - Big Feet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Big Feet

[Image: kq27v8ql.jpg]

Episode: 1x21
Air Date: May 11, 2012
Synopsis: Episodes of vicious attacks by Bigfoot-like Wesen known as Wildermann are suddenly rampant. Nick and Monroe discover that the errant Wesen are connected to a psychologist performing medical experiments to help the Wesen control their urges.

Resources
Episode Summary (Grimm-Fan.com)
Screen Captures (Grimm-Fan.com)
Ah yes, this episode. For me it's also known as 'the one where Hank thinks he has suddenly snapped'. Poor dude. That would be utterly terrifying and I think that he showed that pretty darn well.

I did like the Sasquatch/Big Foot = Wesen bit. It has nothing to do with fairy tales and that makes it more interesting to me. It is more folklore and perhaps some Native American myths or legends (iirc; if I'm just imagining this origin, ignore me, lol). I can't remember if the writers ever did anything with the 'Bigfoot' DNA later in the show ... Didn't so much like the dastardly therapist/snake oil therapy angle though.
After re-watching this episode. it leveled up in my personal Grimm-Ranking.
Hank look on Monroe when he crashed him was...unbezahlbar...Big Grin
And of course it was the episode with Monroes: Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei. ( Everything got an end but only the sausage has two). I think,this sentence has cult status in the german grimm fandome.
On this point, I would like to introdruce you all a song from witch this sentence is:

On 1:25 you here Monroes funeral oration. It is the course and the lyrics are:
Alles hat ein Ende nur die Wurst hat zwei- Everything got an end but only the sausage has two
jawoll mein Schatz es ist vorbei - yes my darling it´s over
doch du musst nicht traurig sein- but you don´t have to be mournfu
du bist ja nicht lang allein denn- because you aren´t long alone because
alles hat ein Ende nur die Wurst hat zwei- everything got an end but only the sausage has two
mein Schatz es ist vorbei- my darling it is over
Big Grin

Now to the points that I first realized during the re-watch:
- Monroe reads: The Declaine and fall of the roman empire from Edward Gibbon( his book was formative for the modern historiography)
- the Wesen-Self-help-group meets in a Place named Helvetia taverne (Helvetia is the ancient word for switzerland)
- english has the word angst Huh
- after the third time watching the end scene and a very fokused look on it ,my assumption was confirmed that Brinkenhoff winks when he was actually already dead
This episode is really good. Silas Weir Mitchell did a great job when Larry died.
Poor Hank, Everyone making him think he's crazy.
(08-16-2013, 10:22 PM)pale boy Wrote: [ -> ]That would be utterly terrifying and I think that he showed that pretty darn well.
I have to dissent on this position. Last week's Cinderella episode was dumb. This episode actually out does that one though in ridiculousness and stupidity. Let me explain the problem.

Writers know an old tried-and-true trick that many con men have learned in their experience with "confidence" games. If you say something with enough confidence, no matter how stupid it is, people will believe you. Scientists have actually done studies which showed that the more confident a speaker appears, the higher the confidence the listener will have in what he says. Studies have also shown that there is no actual correlation between being "confident" and being right, despite what people inherently think. Someone who acts unsure of his statement may be as equally likely to be right as someone who is confident So, what is the purpose in me babbling about all this?

Seeing someone woge/dewoge being traumatic experience is BS. No matter what the writers want us to think, it is. Hank's post traumatic stress disorder based on this episode makes no sense, except for gullible audience members. Here's are some facts.

1. Nick sees Adalind transform into a hexenbiest in the pilot. Nick doesn't have a corresponding break-down, and he had as much information as Hank when he saw the wildermann. Seing a hexenbiest is a lot more messed up than seeing a wildermann dewoge.
2. Seeing a grimm is supposedly a traumatic experience, and for the record, this is actually a logical position. Grimm are pretty much the serial killers of the wessen world. I've lost count at how many wessen have recognized Nick's grimmness and were able to overcome their experience within a few minutes.
3. Juliette overcame her experience of seeing a woge in a few minutes, also.

So, we are stuck with the fact that Hank is either the biggest wuss in Portland, Oregon or everything about this plot line is all just a convoluted mess. What causes people to generally be traumatized by messed-up experiences is not the actual objective image. It's the emotional connection that the image represents. People see countless messed up images every day. It's called watching TV. But people aren't traumatized every time they turn on the tube. That's because there no traumatic emotional attachment happens between the viewer and the events on television. Pretty much everyone knows they're fake or they've been desensitized to their immediacy. So, what do we have here?

1. Hank has a brief glance of a hairy hobo knocking him down in the woods and running away.

2. Hank sees another harry hobo transform back to a human.

Really, there's no traumatic experiences associated with either of the above events, but because Nick doesn't say he saw it, Hank must believe he's crazy. I've seen plenty of crap my friends didn't see, and it hasn't made me question my sanity (though, maybe should). This is a case where the writers bluff the audience, and so few Grimm fans call them out on it.

Oh yeah, Brinkerhoff's medical "cure" reads like a bad X-Files episode. Also, based on watching two seasons of Grimm, pretty much every wessen has been able to control woging, but these guys. That's another big problem when watching this and trying to hold back laughter.

Yeah, I don't like it.

/yeah yeah, tl: dr
Here's a big fat "like" from me!
This episode touches the heart of the series, just like in "the three bad wolves", the struggle if you are a man or an animal. And you don't solve complicated problems with simple means. Like Brinkerhoff said: the slow way is the fast way. Tragic enough that he didn't stick to his own rules.

I like Monroe's quote "people hate what they don't understand", it's so true.

This is the first episode where Nick solves Monroe's problem ("I've got bigfoot on my couch!") and not, as usual, the other way around. Nice how Monroe lured the hunters into the forest with Larry's shirt!
But I think Nick didn't really help. He tried a few things (like having the pump analysed) but he changed nothing for the better. The four pump-bearers are dead, together with their victims. Perhaps Hank wouldn't have seen woged Wesen, perhaps Nick caused even more problems by trying to help. (And I don't have a problem with a deeply disturbed Hank after what he saw. Nick found his explanation shortly after he saw Adalind woging, so did Juliette, Hank didn't. Season 2 spoiler:
Spoiler :
Kelly couldn't sleep for months after she saw her first woged Wesen
People react differently on experiences)

It was sweet to see Monroe sleeping on his couch with the book "the decline and fall of the roman empire" with the roman wolf on it on his chest. The writers truely have a sense for details.
I liked Wu's analysis of the crime scene "these murders were committed by a barefoot man carrying a wolf!"

Woge - wave, surge
We are at episode 21 and it's the first time we hear the word "Woge". Obviously it took the writers that long to invent a special word for it. In German we use the word not that often, normally we translate wave with "Welle". "Woge" has a poetical touch, you can use it in poems or to romanticize the ocean. I like the word for the changing of Wesen very much.

Wildermann - wild man
When you trust Wikipedia, nearly every culture in the world has got it's myth of a nearly naked hairy man/woman/people living in the wilderness. You can see him on many city arms, not only in Germany. Funny: in Germany we have even a sausage brand "Wiltmann" (if you're interested: wiltmann.de)

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei
I clearly remember sitting speechless on my couch with my mouth open, staring at my husband (his reaction: "He didn't say that, did he?") when we saw this episode the first time. Please don't think it's the normal thing to say in Germany when someone dies! It's just another Monroe line, Monroe lines have to be funny. And yes, it's fun so hear him saying this with his funeral voice and Nick answering "that sounded really beautiful!" Big Grin
I know this quote, just like Fräulein Wunderlich, from this trashy little comedic song out of the 80's, it's a pig rude thing to say to break up with your girlfrind and nothing more.

Keimarm Industries - low-germ industries

(08-17-2013, 10:03 AM)FräuleinWunderlich Wrote: [ -> ]- english has the word angst Huh

Yes, it's true. There are several german words that found their way into English, though I think, they are a bit strange, all of them Big Grin.
Angst (especially the "german angst" meaning we are extra-super-needless careful Wink)
Blitzkrieg
Schadenfreude
Gesundheit (as reaction when someone sneezes)
Eiertanz
Weltschmerz
Zeitgeist (I heard Silas Weir Mitchell using this word in an interview)
Rucksack
Kindergarten
...and for sure there are more of them
Dr. Brinkerhoff said "The loss of choice is a small price to pay for freedom" to justify his quick-fix medicinal implants. Kinda political. And extremely antithetical to his espoused therapeutic techniques and writings, which ran something like long term therapy is the only 'short cut' to gaining control of one's inner urges. Because of this contradiction, this episode seems to me to be as much about the Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde syndrome as it is about the Big Foot story, with a little Phantom of the Opera thrown in.

But I liked it. I agree Monroe's reading the book,TDAFOTRE, featuring the she-wolf nurturing Romulus and Remus on the cover; is very wolfy and appropo, glad it was pointed out. Monroe's eulogy (and Nick's remark) is funny when you know the cultural background meaning; FrauleinWunderlich's video was hilarious, albiet "frank". Smile (By the by, frankfurter is a German word, right?) We saw Juliette as scientist and that was a treat. Poor Hank is taking a psychological thumping from his recent hexing by Adalind and now Blutbad/Monroe plows into him, and he has his very own Wildermann sighting in the theater. Plus he shot the man dead; looks like a mandatory visit to the police shrink is in his future. Nick shows his compassion at the loss of Monroe's friend Larry, even though he has every reason to suspect he is the beast who killed the two men. We can see he's torn about keeping the truth from Hank and Juliette. Not gonna get any easier, Nick.

Thought of a few more German words used in the English language - verboten, wunderkind, and my favorite, which I often use in the wrong context, gestalt!
This is the episode when Nick should have told Juliette. When Nick and Juliette where on the couch and she told him exactly what his aunt told him. That the stories are true. We know that Juliette has no problem accepting the existence of wesen. I just can not find a reason for having Juliette in the memory lost state for an entire season. What was the reason for not telling her at the end of season 2.
(04-10-2017, 07:57 PM)syscrash Wrote: [ -> ]This is the episode when Nick should have told Juliette. When Nick and Juliette where on the couch and she told him exactly what his aunt told him. That the stories are true. We know that Juliette has no problem accepting the existence of wesen. I just can not find a reason for having Juliette in the memory lost state for an entire season. What was the reason for not telling her at the end of season 2.

Nick told her at the end of season 2 because Juliette helped Rosalee with the zombies. Basically Juliette said she would leave Nick and Portland to Rosalee and Monroe in order get them to help her. Nick's grimm instinct was not to have his partner involved in the wesen world and look how far Juliette had to go to get Nick to open up.
* I mean those kids are silly of course. But I was really sorry for them.
* I do really like seeing Juliette do her job. Obviously we can’t get a whole lot of that, given the focus of the show. But it was a nice touch.
* I like Wu’s explanation that the attacks were made by a barefoot man carrying a wolf.
* Hank trying to hold that terrified girl looks sooooo uncomfortable. Like he’s desperately looking for someone who could take over but doesn’t want to leave her without someone to hold her either.
* Oh look, Nick, it’s another great moment to actually just finally tell Juliette what’s going on.
* Monroe’s reading “The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire” as bedside reading?
* So Larry seems to be someone Monroe has to drag to the couch. (He can carry Rosalee. But so can Nick. So that doesn’t really tell me much about Blutbad strength. At least not compared to a Grimm’s.)
* And this is when it gets really stupid that they didn’t have Bree Turner around for that episode, because it makes *zero* sense that Monroe wouldn’t ask Rosalee to come and help him look at Larry’s wound.
*Oh, Nick’s bringing Hank coffee this time.
* It is nice that Monroe calls Nick for help for a change.
* Monroe is so pleased that the search dogs are freaked out by his territory marking.
* “I don’t want my house torched, man. I don’t want crosses burning in my backyard.” (I get that Monroe. Guess Wesenrein would be delighted that you hate the idea of being targeted by that sort of hatred.)
* The look Nick gives Monroe when he says that he’s fine but he’s not sure about Hank.
* Larry’s shirt so just looks like a regular piece of Monroe’s wardrobe.
* I am *so* sorry for Larry.
* And then Monroe ended up with another friend’s blood in his house.
* “We can’t leave him here. I don’t want you tied to this.” (Nick never wants Monroe tied to problems, does he?)
* “Wildermann. Smart loners. Like the woods, cabins, campfires, hiking... you know, back to nature, eco warrior types.” (Oh come on, they’re not that different from someone who needs a tree to attack his wife before he agrees that it can be chopped down.)
*Brinkerman might be a manipulative bastard who’s responsible for several deaths. But he does certainly have a point about Nick needing to face who he is and stop avoiding the truth around the people he cares about.
*Both Juliette and Hank are clearly on the verge of figuring things out by this point anyway.
* The device works on a mixture of herbs and spices. And you’d think Nick knows a person who could potentially tell him more about that.
* “If you can’t choose, you’re neither... you’re nothing.” (Monroe, maybe you and Adalind should have a talk.)
* “What’s he doing here?!” Good question, Hank. Very good question.
* I’m kind of sorry for Brinkerman, too, despite of what he did. But it does please me when the guys are protecting each other.
* Poor Hank. First he has to shoot a man and then he needs to watch a woge close up.
* Nick you’re SO off not telling Hank what’s happening by this point.
* And *that* was the moment you should’ve finally told Juliette. BEFORE she got herself scratched.
Pages: 1 2