Grimm Forum

Full Version: Rewatch: 1x20 - Happily Ever Aftermath
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Happily Ever Aftermath

[Image: DBQzeJkl.jpg]

Episode: 1x20
Air Date: May 4, 2012
Synopsis: Nick and Hank investigate the death of a wealthy widow and finds that the trail leads to her stepdaughter Lucinda and her mysterious godfather, Spencer Harrison. Meanwhile, Juliette tries to help Nick deal with what she believes is the death of his aunt.

Resources
Episode Summary (Grimm-Fan.com)
Screen Captures (Grimm-Fan.com)
Here's a "dislike" from me, I didn't enjoy the rewatch, I'm doing it all for you Wink.

First of all, I don't like episodes to be disgusting, and this ep has got quite a few "yuck" scenes.
The Murcielago is one of the ugliest Wesen ever, and popping eyeballs isn't something I like to see -girl's problem?-

While rewatching I wondered if Lucinda knew about the money problems and the conversation between her godfather, her husband and her stepmother? If not, why would she kill her stepmother?
She's extremely controlled with her Woge, she didn't Woge when she heared about things she should be anxious about, though she didn't knew about Nick being a Grimm. She's really cold blooded, but we already saw really professional bad guys who couldn't keep themselves from Woge. My opinion: she shouldn't Woge in front of the audience so we keep suspecting Spencer.
This frequency- thing... I'm not sure if I buy that this sound makes eyeballs and arteries pop, perhaps glass but the other things are a bit too much for my taste.
Are Murcielago able to go full Woge so they can fly like a bat? Did Spencer escape the interrogation room this way? I like to think so, but Lucinda jumped out of that window without Woge and got hurt. Perhaps she was disturbed by that Matraca device.

It's the first ep we hear from Akira Kimura, I like Juliettes part in helping Nick to find out about his past. And of course I like every Monroe scene. He's so excited when he discovers another Grimm device in the trailer, I love his child-at-chrismas-time-eyes.

Murcielago, matraca, those words are spanish. I looked them up for you Heart. Murciélago = bat, matraca = rattle or (as verb) to go on someone's nerves.

Monroe's german name for the murcielago was "geölter Blitz" and he translated it with "bat out of hell" what's not correct (sorry, Monroe). The exact translation would be "oiled lightning", we use "geölter Blitz" to describe something really, really fast. Example: he kicked the cat and it went like an oiled lightning.
I liked the episode in a sort of luke-warm way. Lucinda was such a saccharin-sweet princess it gave you a sugar high, and she looked like she weighed 22 pounds. But she did look great in clothes (lovely gowns). That made her evilness a big surprise to me the first time I saw the episode. Plus, making her the villain was a neat variation on the Cinderella story. She even has a bat-fairy godfather, Spencer (means dispenser of provisions) watching over her, who seems to spend his life making sure all her wishes are fulfilled so she won't sonically blow up anything between her and what she wants.

Hank must still be reeling from the weird Adalind experience not to be a little freaked out about these gory murders and crime scene damage. I think that Monroe may have been translating the German meaning of the wesen name "Murcielago" into a phrase Nick could relate to when he used the description 'bat out of hell'. It's a slang term not used too much these days meaning something that moves very fast; not a very true translation but probably used to match the theme of the story.

And we're back to those nasty coins with Nick's nightmare and Juliette's research. Laying the groundwork for things to come.
(08-10-2013, 02:01 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a "dislike" from me, I didn't enjoy the rewatch, I'm doing it all for you Wink.
Put this under a "dislike" for me as well. The plot is a trainwreck. The characters are inconsistent or just outright dumb. You kind of touch on things that don't make sense, but trust me, there are a whole lot more. There's just one attempt at a gimmicky twist after another. And this is an episode written by Greenwalt and Kouf.

Dudes. Greenwalt and Kouf. If you are reading this, I have to be honest. You both suck at writing crime procedurals. Stop it. You aren't any good at it. Stick to Indiana Jones where you are pretty damn good.

Pretty much the only things I liked about this episode is that I found the main villain hot, and I liked the scenes about Kimura. Besides that, it was bad. Though, not quite as bad as I remembered, but still pretty bad.

I actually have the feeling this was one of the first scripts they ever wrote. Had Grimm not received a full season order, I imagine this episode would have been about 11 or 12, but with a much lower budget.
(08-10-2013, 11:20 AM)speakeasy Wrote: [ -> ]'bat out of hell'. It's a slang term not used too much these days meaning something that moves very fast; not a very true translation but probably used to match the theme of the story.

Thank you! Idea I have to apologize to Monroe, I wasn't familiar with this expression, it seems to fit very well.

-edit- now I remember they called the Murcielago "Höllenfledermaus" (= hell bat) on german TV, they took Monroe's words without the meaning.
Gretal, your review of the episode was so spot-on that after I read it I understood why I didn't like the story much. It was because of the inconsistencies and ommissions that you caught (so did I after they were pointed out!Smile) that made the story not very well-written, I just had a general feeling of dissatisfaction with it.
Very "meh" episode for me. Also, I'm on a bit of a "Wesen murders X and Nick must investigate" fatigue feeling. Don't Wesen ever commit check fraud or something? ... Property rates in fictional Grimm Portland must be plummeting from all the mayhem going on. Wink

The best parts of this episode were the sections tied into the show's "mythos", the overarching plot line with Nick and his enemies, etc. The "Nick and Hank investigate another Wesen-related crime" bit would work a lot better if, say, the show's universe was set in a world where everyone knew about the supernatural or there were more supernatural creatures/towns around. Then it would make sense for a lot of cases to be Wesen related.

The way it is now, it just makes it seem like every crime in Portland is committed by Wesen, which strains suspension of disbelief. I'm sure it could just fall into "conservation of detail"; in other words, the audience is shown only the Wesen-related crimes, while Nick & Hank's "normal" cases occur off screen because they aren't plot important. Still. It ends up feeling a bit "coincidental" at times. I wish the writers would just say that Portland is on top of a Hellmouth already (Buffy-related term) or that Wesen are naturally attracted to the area because of [insert plausible explanation here]. Then I could stop twitching with nerdism and my brain going "but whhhhhhhhy?"

It does remind me of this trope, though: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AlwaysMurder
I like this episode...
(08-12-2013, 01:30 AM)pale boy Wrote: [ -> ]Very "meh" episode for me. Also, I'm on a bit of a "Wesen murders X and Nick must investigate" fatigue feeling. Don't Wesen ever commit check fraud or something?
Technically, I believe Nick and Hank are homicide detectives. If a wessen commits check fraud or another such crime, we wouldn't hear about it, because we follow Nick's perspective and Nick wouldn't hear about it.

Though, there are a few cases where Nick and Hank were called in for a non-homicide crime (e.g., the burglary in Bears will be Bears, Hap's house exploding, which only later turned out to be connected to a homicide, etc.). Those few instances are probably just the writers taking liberties with the Portland police force in order to tell the story they want. Maybe in some cities, like Portland, there aren't pure homicide detectives, since there aren't enough open murder cases to warrant them.

Still, something like check fraud likely requires a different skill set than a homicide detective. Some cities have a "financial crimes unit", which would receive a "check fraud case." Depending on the scope of the fraud, the FBI may also be called in.
(08-10-2013, 12:03 PM)HellJacket Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2013, 02:01 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a "dislike" from me, I didn't enjoy the rewatch, I'm doing it all for you Wink.
Put this under a "dislike" for me as well. The plot is a trainwreck. The characters are inconsistent or just outright dumb. You kind of touch on things that don't make sense, but trust me, there are a whole lot more. There's just one attempt at a gimmicky twist after another. And this is an episode written by Greenwalt and Kouf.

Dudes. Greenwalt and Kouf. If you are reading this, I have to be honest. You both suck at writing crime procedurals. Stop it. You aren't any good at it. Stick to Indiana Jones where you are pretty damn good.

Pretty much the only things I liked about this episode is that I found the main villain hot, and I liked the scenes about Kimura. Besides that, it was bad. Though, not quite as bad as I remembered, but still pretty bad.

I actually have the feeling this was one of the first scripts they ever wrote. Had Grimm not received a full season order, I imagine this episode would have been about 11 or 12, but with a much lower budget.

Agree Xn...you're good at this. Hope you come back. I think you're especially right about it being one of their first attempts at storytelling for me - because in this one, it's blatantly using the good looks of the characters to draw the audience into the story but the story wasn't very cohesive. I think the bear one must've been their new and improved similar story - rich folk, doing their thing - getting into trouble - at least in this one, the young men get to learn a painful lesson when the mom woged as a bear, jumps right into the hole with pointy sticks. Luckily, the dad is talked into reasonableness by Nick. Nothing at all was learned in the bat one - the two bats just kill each other!
Pages: 1 2