Grimm Forum

Full Version: Rewatch: 1x19 - Leave It to Beavers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Leave it to Beavers

[Image: Dv3DPvZl.jpg]

Episode: 1x19
Air Date: April 27, 2012
Synopsis: When Nick investigates the death of a construction company owner, he discovers that the suspect has summoned the Reapers to town to dispose of him. Meanwhile, Juliette makes Nick invite Eddie over for dinner.

Resources
Episode Summary (Grimm-Fan.com)
Screen Captures (Grimm-Fan.com)
I liked the opening "fight" scene between Nick and Monroe. It's nice to see people actually training with their awesome skillz.

For me, the character moments were the best part of this episode. There's the awkward and subtext laden dinner with Juliette, Nick, and Monroe. There is the glimpse of Wesen society with the Lodge (nice to see some "non-crazy pants" Wesen in this episode, heh.) Plus there are the Reapers showing up! We also have Juliette's growing suspicions about Nick's life. I wonder if at some points she thought he was getting bribes or something!

I remember that when I first watched this episode, I felt that parts of it were bland, and I still feel that way. (Some of the "eisbiber dude must testify" plot are a little meh and there was something about a construction company that I just didn't follow too keenly, then or now.) But the ending more than made up for that. "Send your best", indeed.
I just love this episode, it’s my favourite in season one.
Nick trains his abilities with Monroe – awesome! „Did you use wolfsbane? Use more!“
Bud and all the Eisbibers – so sympathic, so cute. All of the wooden toys in Arnolds home, the way they are so extra-respectful to Nick, how they handle their problems democratically, the way they express their thankfulness by bringing all of these presents to Juliette, I love them. „You are on a first name basis with a GRIMM?!?“
The dinner with Monroe – a classic! „You were there, too?“ „Yes!“ „No!“
Nick fighting the reapers with this mace, I can’t get enough. „Monroe, bring a shovel!“

To become a reaper you don’t need to be a special kind of Wesen, am I right? It’s a title you earn when you kill a Grimm, I think that’s what Butrel’s great uncle did.
Remarkable how reapers treat their „costumers“. Most possibly the writers wanted to underline how cruel and dangerous reapers are.

Maybe this episode has no clever bad guys, but that’s less important to me. I like the developing of relations between Nick-Juliette-Monroe as well as the insight to the community of Eisbibers.

There are several German words in this episode.
Doppelarmbrust = double crossbow (of course, you could see it)
Robert Grosszahn = Robert Bigtooth
Arnold Rosarot = Arnold Pinkred
Eisenbud Wurstner – Eisen = iron, Wurst = sausage
Eisbiber = ice beaver
Hässlich = ugly (Nick: „We can put an end to the Hässlich thread!“ It’s so appropriate)
Vernichter der Grimms = annihilator of the Grimms

I already mentioned it in another thread, the german town where you can order reapers (but they speak french!) was a picture of Hannover, subtitled with Mannheim.
Season 2 spoiler
Spoiler :
Kelly later talks about the heads Nick sent to Mannheim so I think they really mean Mannheim.
Mannheim is not so far from my place, so this episode is close to me in more than one way.
ShyGood show. Appreciated how the writers wove many references to beaver life into the story. Arnold works at night, as do so many of his kind, and his friend John is dozing while a program about logging is airing on his TV screen. Beavers and Eisbibers seem to be generally a hard working and plain living sort, so most of them appear to be that in their human form. (Can't marvel at the architectural features of their homes because of this, probably they are built mostly for comfort and safety.) The German meaning of their names, as translated by Gretal, are descriptive and fitting - Bigtooth!Smile Mr Grosszahn is the owner of the construction company that specializes in bridge (and dam?) building. The community meets at the 'lodge', apparently within or just outside of the dam, clever. Tried to find a connection between the wesen type and gift-giving or crafts, but nada there.

A Hasslich in a business suit - animal skins, maybe, but not a suit. But loved Sal's office featuring all those bridge pictures. He's on the Planning Commision, so want a building permit or pass an inspection? Pay the troll toll.

Monroe was so perfect in the dinner scene. He arrives with his hair slicked down in such a civilized way, with the requisite wine and flowers for his hostess, and seems so happy to be there. The dialog between him and Nick during dinner reminded me of the 'Who's on First" Abbott and Costello comedy skit.

Watching the fight scene with the Reapers made me think that the scythe is not a very efficient weapon when used in pairs in close combat. Obviously, it can lop off the wrong head in the pitch of battle. Nick is getting better and better at his fighting skills, but wonder if he shot the hemlock at the Reaper because he got off just the one shot. Sending the heads to the agent who dispatched them was impressive, but could result in some very brassed off enemies, kinda like waving a red flag at a crazed bull. Still, it was great.
(08-09-2013, 11:58 PM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: [ -> ]To become a reaper you don’t need to be a special kind of Wesen, am I right? It’s a title you earn when you kill a Grimm, I think that’s what Butrel’s great uncle did.
Given how confusing and little data the writers give us, none of the above may be true. Here's what we know about reapers.

1. All of them have been Hasslich (Hulda in the pilot, Junkers and "The Reaper"). Since Butrel is a Hasslich, his uncle likely is also a Hasslich. Therefore, every example involves a reaper being a Hasslich. Maybe it's possible that reapers don't need to be Hasslich, but there is nothing yet that substantiates this claim, and everything supports that not being the case.

2. Reapers typically chop off the head of a grimm after they kill one. However, people besides reapers do the same (i.e., the conspirators involved in Nick's dad's death).

Besides that, we really don't know much.

In regard to whether "chopping" off the head of a grimm makes you a reaper, there's too much hearsay and little data to make any such judgment yet. Maybe that only applies to Hasslich. Maybe Butrel's uncle was only made an honorary member of the organization, and wasn't an actual member. Maybe their are other facts involved like Butrel's uncle had already joined the organization, but killing a grimm was his final act of initiation. We really don't have the answers to any of this, specifically because I doubt the writers even do.

What's annoying, though, is that whenever someone is out to get a grimm, they often use the reaper logo. The Mauvais Dentes did this in the ship in the pilot of season 2, even though he appears to have been an associate of the royals and not simply a reaper. The people who beat up Monroe in Of Mouse and Man were probably not reapers either, especially since no one died. Apparently, there are as many wannabee reapers as there are actual reapers.
* “I told you to meet me, not eat me.”
*”Now could you get off me please? I’m finding this a little y’know... awkward.”
* Why did Nick even ask Monroe to come if he doesn’t actually need any help? I mean I get that the scene would’ve been a bit dull if we’d just watched Nick do that stuff by himself. But to make Monroe drive up there just to fangirl him?! That guy does have a job of his own. And a life.
* Poor Robert, trying to stand up to a troll (I’ll try to say Haesslich, but troll’s so much easier) really is brave, but not necessarily brave without backup.
* Juliette wants Monroe to come for dinner and Nick immediately rehashes the loner assessment from the pilot, even though he knows perfectly well that Monroe’s less of a loner than he used to be nowadays. - Also, a picnic probably would have suited Monroe, too.
* “Monroe, name one aspect of our relationship that we wouldn’t have to lie about.” - “You’re right. All the time we spend together. All the sneaking around. God, suddenly it just feels so wrong.” (I can just about imagine the amount of slash stories that dialogue set off.)
* I wonder if Bud told Phoebe to take the kids and go see her mom after Nick called and wanted to meet...
* Wow, those guys are so awkward. It’s just terrible. I wonder how Juliette doesn’t go “how do you know so much about clocks after you told me you’re a Private Investigator?” But maybe she doesn’t remember?
*I keep thinking that maybe I should give them credit for being so terrible at lying that it’s that simple to spot. Probably speaks to their characters. But then I remember that Monroe’s the one who advised Nick against telling Juliette the truth.
* “You’re on first name basis with the Grimm?!”
* Bud really has been starting to grow a backbone already this early on.
* “Kill a Grimm? Is that even possible?”
* Oh right. Reapers were scary once upon a time. Nowadays they just kind of lost their touch.
* I really like Nick complimenting Bud for his bravery.
* Salvatore and the Reapers starting off on such bad terms that he was willing to be arrested for murder just to get away from them is kind of ironic.
* And Nick compliments Arnold for his bravery... he’s really being a nice Grimm in this one. (Towards the Eisbibers anyway.)
* Nick’s fight with the two reapers might be my favorite throughout canon. Facing two scary foes by himself, getting out of there with a mixture of skill and luck... it’s a good one.
* Poor Monroe. It’s a surprise he hasn’t gone crazy yet, getting interrupted at yoga and Cello practice every other day...
* “They’re just gonna keep coming for me until I’m dead, right?” - “Uh, yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s how it works.” - “I think I need to send them a message.” - “I think you do, too. And you know what? When it comes to sending these guys messages, two heads are better than one.”
* I love Eisbibers...
I love that episode and the 2 previous ones. <3