Grimm Forum

Full Version: New to forum... Looking for insight.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can someone tell me, what happened to Nicks ability to go pseudo-zombie? I thought that aspect of his abilities got lost somewhere along the way. Thanks!
Correct there is a post with an interview saying the zombie effect was gone this season. I myself was sorry to see it go after the made Eve and Diana so powerful.
(05-21-2016, 01:41 PM)ISKI4FUN Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone tell me, what happened to Nicks ability to go pseudo-zombie? I thought that aspect of his abilities got lost somewhere along the way. Thanks!

adalind took nick's powers @ the end of season 3; maybe it got lost during that time too. he got his powers back in s4 and probably those cool zombie powers didn't come back with it
Honestly, it has been a weird season in that they have introduced us to wesen that are clearly too bad for Grimms to handle while reducing Nick's Grimm powers. So much so that it makes me wonder why the Wesen fear Grimms? We have heard several wesen talk about how BAD a Grimm is and yet it is clear no ZB should ever be scared of a Grimm because they have no ability to beat them. I had hoped that more Grimm powers would have been developed and they were heading that way until the Z-powers were 'lost.' Confused
Totally agree... It seems that all Wessen don't even care about Grimms anymore. Maybe because of strength in numbers, but still, the whole series has wrapped around that fear.
(05-21-2016, 02:21 PM)degrimm Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-21-2016, 01:41 PM)ISKI4FUN Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone tell me, what happened to Nicks ability to go pseudo-zombie? I thought that aspect of his abilities got lost somewhere along the way. Thanks!

adalind took nick's powers @ the end of season 3; maybe it got lost during that time too. he got his powers back in s4 and probably those cool zombie powers didn't come back with it
The last time we seen the power was when Nick was tick off trying to find Monroe and lifted the 300 lb Klaustreich one handed but Hank stopped him. I think they just dropped the zombie thing so the could downplay Nick's power in season 5. This allowed Eve and Diana to appear more powerful. Plus they wanted a need for the relic.
(05-21-2016, 05:33 PM)MANTItotheCore Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, it has been a weird season in that they have introduced us to wesen that are clearly too bad for Grimms to handle while reducing Nick's Grimm powers. So much so that it makes me wonder why the Wesen fear Grimms? We have heard several wesen talk about how BAD a Grimm is and yet it is clear no ZB should ever be scared of a Grimm because they have no ability to beat them. I had hoped that more Grimm powers would have been developed and they were heading that way until the Z-powers were 'lost.' Confused

Monroe may have given "us": a clue back in season one when he said wesen parents used the threat of the Grimms to get their misbehaving children to behave. It seems likely a lot of embellishment goes on.

And (speculation on my part) the Grimms may be akin to the Ninja of fuedal Japan, far more myth, legend, and bluster than reality. Like the Nina, I suspect the Grimms were more ambush assassins as opposed to head one onslaughts. Remember the Grimms are the one's writing the book Nick has and there is a large survivorship bias. And Grimms likely ran their own PR campaign knowing that fear is an excellent weapon in an of itself.

Also people love to tell a good story. When I was young growing up in the martial arts, there were so many myths and legends propagated, both of martial artists of the long past and ones just a generation older than me. Well I got to know more than one of those living legends...they were simply men,with the same strengths and weakness that all men have. Now, some 40 years later, I am one of those old timers the kids hear about. And I am shocked when I hear some of the exploits I never had (i.e. fabrications) or just vast embellishments of far more plebeian antics that are circulated.

I think the 3 areas I mentioned offers a reasonable explanation.
(05-21-2016, 07:13 PM)izzy Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-21-2016, 05:33 PM)MANTItotheCore Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, it has been a weird season in that they have introduced us to wesen that are clearly too bad for Grimms to handle while reducing Nick's Grimm powers. So much so that it makes me wonder why the Wesen fear Grimms? We have heard several wesen talk about how BAD a Grimm is and yet it is clear no ZB should ever be scared of a Grimm because they have no ability to beat them. I had hoped that more Grimm powers would have been developed and they were heading that way until the Z-powers were 'lost.' Confused

Monroe may have given "us": a clue back in season one when he said wesen parents used the threat of the Grimms to get their misbehaving children to behave. It seems likely a lot of embellishment goes on.

And (speculation on my part) the Grimms may be akin to the Ninja of fuedal Japan, far more myth, legend, and bluster than reality. Like the Nina, I suspect the Grimms were more ambush assassins as opposed to head one onslaughts. Remember the Grimms are the one's writing the book Nick has and there is a large survivorship bias. And Grimms likely ran their own PR campaign knowing that fear is an excellent weapon in an of itself.

Also people love to tell a good story. When I was young growing up in the martial arts, there were so many myths and legends propagated, both of martial artists of the long past and ones just a generation older than me. Well I got to know more than one of those living legends...they were simply men,with the same strengths and weakness that all men have. Now, some 40 years later, I am one of those old timers the kids hear about. And I am shocked when I hear some of the exploits I never had (i.e. fabrications) or just vast embellishments of far more plebeian antics that are circulated.

I think the 3 areas I mentioned offers a reasonable explanation.

yes, I think it's always natural for the Boogie Man to be more terrible that it actually is in life...it's more scary tell stories around the camp fire or at late night gatherings. However, I do maintain that the writers clearly took Nick's Grimm power down a notch this season to spotlight others.

BTW, I very much enjoyed your story and felt a kinship with your post. I too started in the martial arts as a kid in the 60's and stayed with it. I remember meeting Chuck Norris and Bill "Superfoot" Wallace and others during the '70s when MA movies were becoming the rage. Two years ago I was teaching a Grand Master's seminar and was amused to hear the stories of my past 'tournament glory.' I think it's natural to want heroes, even superheroes. Thanks for the memories!
(05-21-2016, 10:46 PM)MANTItotheCore Wrote: [ -> ]BTW, I very much enjoyed your story and felt a kinship with your post. I too started in the martial arts as a kid in the 60's and stayed with it. I remember meeting Chuck Norris and Bill "Superfoot" Wallace and others during the '70s when MA movies were becoming the rage. Two years ago I was teaching a Grand Master's seminar and was amused to hear the stories of my past 'tournament glory.' I think it's natural to want heroes, even superheroes. Thanks for the memories!

Ed Parker was a mentor to me; oddly it had nothing to do with martial arts. I think he was afraid I would go down a dark path on of instructors did (a rather Charismatic chap that I am sure you would know...))He taught me to think on my own and liberated me from the then dogma that surrounded so many in the MA back then. He truly was wonderful to me. I only met him physically a few times and never saw him perform his art, but we had lively letter exchanges and phone calls (when I could afford the phone calls) and some great meals together. He really was a very nice human being and spent a lot of time just being there for me.

I met Norris a few times; all I can say, is what a great man. He was/is a terrific eclectic martial artists and he has done so much for kids. Very straight forward, and no pretense about him. He has my respect. The other thing is, I have never heard of a dark side to him, no drugs etc. A few of those others were major cocaine noses, sad to say.

So, how awkward was hearing about you tournament days? I bet you just wanted to crawl under a table. I gave up trying to set the record straight about one of my instructors. A lot of the younger guys he promoted say up to 10 years before he died gave him one heck on posthumous reputation. It really is sad. I got tired of telling people on-line, no he did not train in Okinawa, no his Masters ranking was not awarded the way you think it was, no he did not know this or that, that was brought in from so and so etc...the legend just grows. And I suspect it would have been the same with Grimms.

Anyways, nice chatting with you.
(05-21-2016, 11:35 PM)izzy Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-21-2016, 10:46 PM)MANTItotheCore Wrote: [ -> ]BTW, I very much enjoyed your story and felt a kinship with your post. I too started in the martial arts as a kid in the 60's and stayed with it. I remember meeting Chuck Norris and Bill "Superfoot" Wallace and others during the '70s when MA movies were becoming the rage. Two years ago I was teaching a Grand Master's seminar and was amused to hear the stories of my past 'tournament glory.' I think it's natural to want heroes, even superheroes. Thanks for the memories!

Ed Parker was a mentor to me; oddly it had nothing to do with martial arts. I think he was afraid I would go down a dark path on of instructors did (a rather Charismatic chap that I am sure you would know...))He taught me to think on my own and liberated me from the then dogma that surrounded so many in the MA back then. He truly was wonderful to me. I only met him physically a few times and never saw him perform his art, but we had lively letter exchanges and phone calls (when I could afford the phone calls) and some great meals together. He really was a very nice human being and spent a lot of time just being there for me.

I met Norris a few times; all I can say, is what a great man. He was/is a terrific eclectic martial artists and he has done so much for kids. Very straight forward, and no pretense about him. He has my respect. The other thing is, I have never heard of a dark side to him, no drugs etc. A few of those others were major cocaine noses, sad to say.

So, how awkward was hearing about you tournament days? I bet you just wanted to crawl under a table. I gave up trying to set the record straight about one of my instructors. A lot of the younger guys he promoted say up to 10 years before he died gave him one heck on posthumous reputation. It really is sad. I got tired of telling people on-line, no he did not train in Okinawa, no his Masters ranking was not awarded the way you think it was, no he did not know this or that, that was brought in from so and so etc...the legend just grows. And I suspect it would have been the same with Grimms.

Anyways, nice chatting with you.

Ed Parker?! That's fantastic. I trained on the East coast so rarely got to see anyone our West. But, in 1977 I had a student who had trained in Seattle in Kenpo. He had a strong stance (dachi) and was very good within his hands. I envy your training with Mr. Parker.
I completely agree with you about Mr. Norris. During the time that I met him (and No we weren't buds and I'm SURE it was something to me and not much to him Smile ), he was an awesome tang so do stylist with great kicking ability, but needed to work on his hands. We had a strong dojo (Shito Ryu) that focused on quick powerful straight line attacks with both hands and feet and he wanted to train in that. As you know that was so unusual back then, because everyone trained that you stayed within your style to perfect it. You didn't multi-train like we do today.

Anyway, it was awesome to talk with you about the 'old days.' Big Grin

(Sorry to the board for this trip down Memory Lane!)
Pages: 1 2